Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

A Lunar Lander splashdown - on guitar!

edited July 2021 in Creations

Staggering what a racket a non guitarist / non musician can make with AUM file players, a 3 string cigar box guitar, an irig HD2, the new Lunar Lander app and a fistful of reverbs!

FWIW the only instrument used was the cigar box guitar, (this one:

All sounds are from effect manipulation of the original played-in dry loop.I know I won’t be giving any proper guitarists out there sleepless nights, but other than that one other track I did with a home made Diddly bow a while back, this is the closest I’ve actually got to, you know, actually playing an honest to goodness instrument… As ever, interested to hear what anyone makes of it… :)

Comments

• edited July 2021

Very cool.

And Lunar Lander has quickly become the “it” effect here looks like. I like it too.

• @NeuM : Hey, thanks for the listen, and the comment. :) Glad you liked it.

Don’t know about Lunar Lander being the effect du jour for anyone else, but it has an instant certain something for me that I don’t find in the other delay effects I have. I think it must be the way the delay part and the reverb part meld seamlessly together, it just sounds immediately, uh, - good? - to me. Slightly mysterious and blurry, like a delay should. Must be the BBD emulation, I guess…

• edited July 2021

Really liked the track. The app is real quality, but I prefer a crisp, clean, pristine, percussive digital delay (usually with a high pass filter) to BBDs and their “warm” repeats. They are too dark for me in comparison. Still love it though, and will use it plenty. Now give me reverb 3, damnit! Need my synth washes

• Wow. Just wow. All that from a cigar box guitar? Unfathomable. Seriously, you’ve created something remarkable. Really enjoyed listening to this.

• Excellent piece, and incredible that it comes from that beautiful instrument

• 🤟 So excited to see another CGB player here!.
    People think it’s kind of a toy, like a crippled down guitar. I guess I thought that too before I bought one.
    It’s a completely different experience, way of playing and relating. When I play cgb it’s like I’m bypassing the brain.
    I own two. A 3 string like yours and a 4 string which I hardly use, 1 string too many… I also do whole tracks just with the cgb, which sounds great as a bass when played with an octaver. Most of my tracks are just the cgb, I actually hadn’t picked up my guitar in the past 3 years. Felt so heavy…
    This was OT, btw, Lunar Lander is superb.
    Here’s mine…

• edited July 2021

Lovely stuff, but I challenge your non musician comment! It’s music to my ears therefore you are a musician

• Great stuff 👍

• edited July 2021

@MadeofWax : thank you! Yes, it kind of amazed me too. I’m (still) trying, with not much success, to learn ‘proper’ guitar on a lovely Ibanez semi acoustic I got at the start of lockdown as a lockdown challenge, but tbh it’s the Plague Doctor I turn to when I want to feel like a guitarist despite my (current? Ongoing? Permanent?) lack of skill. It makes it seductively easy for the unskilled (me!) to make guitar-adjacent noises. And in the hands of someone who really knows how to play…

@tahiche : that looks fab! Yes, there is something really compelling about CGBs. It helps that after Dark Ambient, that spare, sparse, lonely, haunted blues slide-assisted guitar sound they can manage is my favourite kind of noise, and the one I most want to learn to make for real. I’ll have to try that Octaver thing… where can I check out your stuff? Keen to hear more CBG…

@oat_phipps : yes, I know what you mean about crisp delays, they sound great but are very - unforgiving - re timing and playing precision. Which is exactly why Lunar Lander’s kind of blurriness really suits me (not to mention helps cover a multitude of fingering sins! :) )

@Edward_Alexander & @Gdub : thank you! Glad you liked it.

@Krupa : I’ll admit it, my inner teenager wanted it primarily just because it ‘looked cool’. And it was relatively cheap - I think I paid around £120, the latest ones are going for £162.50 -

https://www.chickenbonejohn.com/products/workshop-series-plague-doctor-3-string-cigar-box-guitar-1.

Imagine my surprise then at how well it is made, and how good it sounds. It really is a superb little thing.

@NimboStratus : Gosh. Blushing now :) Thank you. :)

• edited July 2021

Hey!
    I usually upload stuff to YouTube, here’s the link if you want to check it out: https://youtube.com/user/Fridasongs almost everything there is CGB + iPad. I do wonder if people can tell the difference between a guitar and a cgb just by listening. To me it’s quite obvious but I don’t if people can tell.

Besides the iPad stuff, here’s a more “traditional” setup. In this song it’s just 2 cgb’s, my 3 string one and my pal uses a 1 string didley bow. That’s 4 strings total, but with shitkoads of fuzz and pedals. Here you can hear the octaver in action. There’s no bass, I’m doing both the main riff and the bass with the cgb. I use an splitter and have signal chains for guitar and bass, each going to a different amp.
    Cheers, CGB mate! 🤟👍