Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

"Bow Before the Linear Spider Iceman, Midas"

McDMcD
edited June 2021 in Creations

We inspire each other to create here and also provide a quick audience for feedback.

@Linearlineman posted a piece using @Spidericemidas a Kaspar preset (Cheeky Plucker) that had an arp that gave me that 'external Tangerine Dream' feeling. So, I assembled the same parts in AUM and layered several iterations of recordings.

It kicked me out of a long dry spell. In the process I also finally pulled the trigger on the Fab Filter timeless delay which added more rhythmic complexity to the arp pattern and a lot more space to the SWAM Cellos.

There's a nice dollop of iWaveStation in the mix because I can't seem to go into deep space without some strong headwinds... which is how I know it's a dream state because in space you can't mix audio for shit.

Comments

• The title is *chef’s kiss, perfecto!

I love the “morphing” quality of the arp. Great track. Glad to hear you’re out of the funk. Or back in, depending on your POV.

• @mjcouche said:
    The title is *chef’s kiss, perfecto!

I love the “morphing” quality of the arp. Great track. Glad to hear you’re out of the funk. Or back in, depending on your POV.

I should mention that I got my new AirPods Pro yesterday so I'm giving them some test drives in various situation. My favorite today was one on my right ear connected to my MacBook while my left ear had the older AirPod connected to the TV. That way I can listen to
    a TV program (currently binging through HBO's "Sharp Objects") while I read the forum and
    listen to new creations. If the creation is interesting, I pop out the AirPod and insert the left
    AirPods Pro and get the full sonic treatment.

I created this piece using the AirPods pro and the latency is frustrating but I used it to
    make the arp transitions more random and less premeditated. Which is either a good or bad thing depending on how you filter your music through a historical maze of concepts. I'm trying to challenge my filters a bit and do more listening and less thinking. I have a long way to go on that goal and my mind will be fighting all the way down the rabbit hole to visit
    Mike @ the Linear Hatters Tea Party.

• That’s a great track! I found it very cinematic. Descriptive of something dark, tense, exotic and mysterious. I think it’s the arp with the delay fx giving it some kind of menacing tension with a Carpenter feel about it, while the strings overlay some kind of alluring seductive dark mystery. You know it’s dangerous, and you shouldn’t go there, but you can’t resist the attraction of the hypnotic call.

• Great track! Not sure whether I liked the track or the commentary from OP and follow up comments best. Luckily, around here we don’t have to choose one or the other - we get both! Kinda like @McD knocking out some zesty talk with the misses on his left ear, while dialing in the optimal multi-tap spacing for a new Timeless patch with his right ;)

• @Spidericemidas @McD agreed! Totally cinematic piece here. The strings add a bit of “this is an HBO exclusive” thing to it… like “previously, on the Mandalorian.”

• McDMcD
    edited June 2021

@Spidericemidas said:
    That’s a great track! I found it very cinematic. Descriptive of something dark, tense, exotic and mysterious. I think it’s the arp with the delay fx giving it some kind of menacing tension with a Carpenter feel about it, while the strings overlay some kind of alluring seductive dark mystery. You know it’s dangerous, and you shouldn’t go there, but you can’t resist the attraction of the hypnotic call.

Thanks. Those movie composer’s are my heroes so I filter the editing through that preference for moody film scores.

• Gets good at 1:05. You’re making headway against those headwinds. Time for a head stand!

• … rummaging through my app closet … looking for Kaspar … gotta try that out now.

• McDMcD
    edited June 2021

@Stochastically said:
    … rummaging through my app closet … looking for Kaspar … gotta try that out now.

Please hit record… and share.

That should be a thing here… like “Hit subscribe and like!” Is on YouTube.

• Nice ambient cello sound. I’ll have to pick up these SWAM or GeoSWAM instruments

• @McD said:

@Stochastically said:
    … rummaging through my app closet … looking for Kaspar … gotta try that out now.

Did he?

• @McD said:

@Stochastically said:

thanks for the push but I'm taking my own sweet time. ;)

• @Stochastically said:

@McD said:

@Stochastically said:

thanks for the push but I'm taking my own sweet time. ;)

I know the feeling... sweet time. But the "love" you get back here is also pretty sweet for even your less than perfect
    efforts. In fact the really good stuff tends to get the same kinds of comments:

"interesting" is the #1 answer. This is a gentle crowd... with a few exceptions. Some will offer a long list of things to change
    and you'll grow to appreciate a well intended "interesting".

• After listening again to your thing here I noticed that it has a kind of ‘spaghetti western’ vibe to it. Now that I’m following you on Soundcloud I see that, like me, you’re all over the map with your stuff. But that’s just what I’m trying to figure out. I’ve been inspired by your suggestion to the Lineman to make themes that encompass a group of tracks. I think that gives some cohesiveness that I like. I’ve got several such themes in the works for myself.

Listening more to your soundcloud, I noticed some really cinematic pieces that sounded to me more like desktop production; not ios. or am I wrong? Also, that breath control with swam cello. That stood out. How can you keep yourself from doing more with that? I like atonality.

• @Stochastically said:

After listening again to your thing here I noticed that it has a kind of ‘spaghetti western’ vibe to it. Now that I’m following you on Soundcloud I see that, like me, you’re all over the map with your stuff. But that’s just what I’m trying to figure out. I’ve been inspired by your suggestion to the Lineman to make themes that encompass a group of tracks. I think that gives some cohesiveness that I like. I’ve got several such themes in the works for myself.

Listening more to your soundcloud, I noticed some really cinematic pieces that sounded to me more like desktop production; not ios. or am I wrong? Also, that breath control with swam cello. That stood out. How can you keep yourself from doing more with that? I like atonality.

Thanks for checking out my rather diverse catalog... I get inspired to copy other artists here and dabble in a lot of approaches.
    Nothing on SoundCloud is done outside of IOS. The best sounding tracks might be made with StaffPad (like Midnight Voyage).
    StaffPad rivals the desktop DAW tools that can import expensive instrument libraries.

Almost everything else was created in AUM using apps. Typically as a an exercise with a recently purchased app or to demonstrate some workflow or technique like my series of "Piano Motifs" examples or the occasional "What's the best Piano App" shoot out.

Film music is one of my main sources of inspiration but I had periods in my younger years when I primarily wrote pop/folk tunes with a hint of Stevie Wonder or James Taylor jazz influences. After a neck surgery I lost my singing voice due to some
    (assumed) vocal nodes that blocks singing notes around C4 so I stick to instrumental composing. But I can hear the nodes receding and might write some songs again before I quit altogether or loose the ability to function.