Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MIDI controller with joystick pitch bend options?

DavDav
edited June 2021 in Other

Hello. I’m getting back into MIDI music after years of being out of it (early 90’s). I use to have Korg workstations (m1/t3/01w) and really want the joystick pitch bend like they had instead of the wheels I see on new keyboards. Looking for a decent (and cheap) midi cotroller, or just keyboard with midi, that can get me a joystick again. What are the options out there?

Thanks.

Dav

Comments

• You can use a fightpad on the gadget for Nintendo switch! Thanks for reminding me I actually forgot about that lol

• edited June 2021

I use a Roland A300 Pro which has a joystick type of thing (pitch bend is x axis, mod is y axis), although it is sprung so when you let go always goes back to neutral.
    Certainly fun to play and easy to get some screaming lead guitar type synth sounds.

I also use a Studiologic SL73 Studio which has 3 different joysticks. They’re small but v easy to manipulate.

• The Akai MPK Mini MK3 controllers have a little bitty joystick. I don't have one myself but have been tempted.

• Forgot I also have a Korg Nanokey 25 which has a tiny joystick. Didn’t realise how much of a joystick fan I was!

• Thank you all for the replies and suggestions! Hmm, that MPK Mini MK3 looks cool, for traveling especially. While looking up the Roland A300 Pro (which looks good!), the Roland A-49 popped up on my search, which also fits in my budget (and I like have more keys).

Those are some possibilities to consider. Thanks!

Dav

• Only available used but the X-Stations use a joystick. Nice feature: you can set it to spring back to its initial position (like most joystick controls) or have the Y axis maintain its position (like most mod wheels).

• It's not the greatest midi implementation, but MIDITROL let's you map a PS4, XBOX, or other MFi controller. With a few work arounds you could totally use the joystick on any of those. Had a lot of fun playing IVCS3 with that.

• Get a Wavestate and you have both, plus an excellent repository of built-in sounds and samples.

• The Akai MPK Mini 2 or 3 has this feature. I’ll be honest though…while I do like the drum pad and the design, it was the joystick, need to use the desktop software to change the mapping of the pads, and the inability to map different MIDI channels on the fly that made me get the Novation Launchkey.

The joystick is a cool concept, don’t get me wrong. But I had these problems

1. Couldn’t easily fit it in a bag without worrying that it would bend or snap (it never did though)
    2. Whenever I’m using a synth and I toggle the joystick, the pitch and modulation points stays fixed at the centre. It makes sense because of the design of the joystick, but it’s a bit annoying, especially for apps which do

This was one tough one. The controller is fantastic. And I’m glad there are a variety of controllers out there. It just wasn't what I needed, which is fine.

• Korg nanokey studio has a nice little touch pad that can be used for a few things, one is pitch bend. I think some versions of the nano key also have a trackpad as well.

• Thanks for the suggestions! There’s more options out there than i realized. I’m ok with used gear, so looking around there also.

Dav

• @hogyard said:
    It's not the greatest midi implementation, but MIDITROL let's you map a PS4, XBOX, or other MFi controller. With a few work arounds you could totally use the joystick on any of those. Had a lot of fun playing IVCS3 with that.

Just managed to go through all my apps that I didnt immediately use and saw Miditrol. I messed around with it but didnt see any obvious way to hook up Miditrol to any (ios softsynth) synth as a standalone or in a host. Theres not much to give me a clue on the dev's website either.

The only thing I can think of is using the OSC control to route to ios midi, or using it on a second device and having the midi broadcast by bluetooth.

LMK if i'm on the right or only track and details of your setup would be appreciated very much.

Respect and Happy New Years

• Happy new years to all.

Well, since this topic was revisted today, I thought I might as well post a follow up to getting a MIDI controller. I never could scratch up the extra money to spend on the nice Roland, or another joystick controller over the summer, so I gave up the pursuit. But -- relative gave me a $100 Amazon gift card for Christmas and I picked up a Nektar SE61 for $99. For under $100 it looked like the best bang for the buck. It doesn't have the joystick I craved, but at least I can do some pitch bend stuff now. So here's a pic of the controller, along with my Korg SP250 stage piano, so my wee little studio is finally growing.