Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Digitakt + iPad. What’s your setup & workflow?. I want to use it more…

Hi,
I just updated the Digitakt to 1.30. Amazing update!.
Thing is I hardly use it and always resort to the iPad. When I use it it’s always standalone, and I love it. But I haven’t found a nice setup with the iPad, so I’m asking for your use cases.

Why don’t I use it?.
It’s got a great sequencer but I find the iPad to be easier and more straightforward.
As a sound module, it’s more tedious to find samples and navigate through folders.
Then there’s Drambo.

Why do I want to use it?.
Those knobs… ❤️
Modulating with lfo, sample slicing… you can do it all with an iPad but it’s 10000 more fun with the Digitakt.
It’s fun, rewarding and leads to unexpected results.

I’d love to hear how/if you use it with the iPad!.
Cheers,

Comments

• Digitakt is audio compliant. just sync your ipad to the DT in AUM and enjoy all the little fx …

• edited June 2021

One really great option is using it together wih Groove Rider GR-16.
    The DT can be the MIDI Clock master so the hardware feeling is kept intact.
    Perfect MIDI sync, easier sample slicing and wavetable synthesis plus a number of go-to factory instruments in GR-16. And you can still load a standalone synth running in the background to be sequenced from the DT's MIDI tracks.
    And if you decide to run Drambo in the background as well, there's hardly any limit on what you can do, given that Drambo can make great use of the MIDI messages sent by the DT.

• @rs2000 said:
    Perfect MIDI sync, easier sample slicing and wavetable synthesis plus a number of go-to factory instruments in GR-16. And you can still load a standalone synth running in the background to be sequenced from the DT's MIDI tracks.
    And if you decide to run Drambo in the background as well, there's hardly any limit on what you can do, given that Drambo can make great use of the MIDI messages sent by the DT.

So you’re DT more as a sequencer?.
    Or do you do the basic rhythm in the Digitakt, using its own sounds, and then add instruments from the iPad on top?.
    I have a problem, and it might be lack of knowledge, with doing longer or more intricate melodic patterns in the Digitakt.

• @tahiche said:

@rs2000 said:

So you’re DT more as a sequencer?.
    Or do you do the basic rhythm in the Digitakt, using its own sounds, and then add instruments from the iPad on top?.
    I have a problem, and it might be lack of knowledge, with doing longer or more intricate melodic patterns in the Digitakt.

Yes, when I was using the DT more, I've used it as a sample sequencer and added stuff from the iPad on top.
    I rarely use it now because I can do everything in Drambo and if I wanted hands-on control, I'd rather use one of my MIDI controllers. Drambo has great controller support so why not use it.
    I also found it annoying that a project is always stored split on the DT and on the iPad while now I have total recall, I just load a project and everything is there.

• @tahiche
    you can do it all with an iPad but it’s 10000 more fun with the Digitakt.

THIS. To be honest, since i bought Digitakt and Digitone in september 2020, i didn't used iPad for music at all. Completely abandoned all music apps and Digi's are my only musical toys for last half of year .. Incredibly inspiring tools ..

• @rs2000 said:.
    I rarely use it now because I can do everything in Drambo and if I wanted hands-on control, I'd rather use one of my MIDI controllers. Drambo has great controller support so why not use it.
    I also found it annoying that a project is always stored split on the DT and on the iPad while now I have total recall, I just load a project and everything is there.

@dendy said:

@tahiche

THIS. To be honest, since i bought Digitakt and Digitone in september 2020, i didn't used iPad for music at all. Completely abandoned all music apps and Digi's are my only musical toys for last half of year .. Incredibly inspiring tools ..

These 2 posts, sum it up perfectly.
    I want to use the Digitakt more cos when I do o find it fun, inspiring and satisfying. Like @dendy
    But I’m not using it much for the reasons @rs2000 points out.
    Although I have to say, even if you can map it all in Drambo or whatever app, it’s not the same. It takes some time, you run into issues, and it doesn’t feel quite as much as an “instument”.

At the end, both of you are using one or the other… So I’m not alone. Right?.
    If there was a kind of Overbridge for iOS… like an auv3 Overbridge… that would be something in marrying the two.

• I haven’t gotten a “perfect” setup yet but I’ve really enjoyed messing around with the following in AUM:

1. Stereo audio from the Digitakt
    2. Moog Model D, MIDI channel 1
    3. Klevgrand Pads or Imaginando DRC, MIDI channel 2
    4. Audio Damage Quanta or Phosphor 3, MIDI channel 3
    5. Bram Bos Ruismaker Noir or Klevgrand Skaka, MIDI channel 4.
    6. Stereo audio from the Digitakt.
    7. Send track for Bram Bos Gauss / Audio Damage Replicant 2
    8. Send track for Audio Damage Eos 2

I use the DT as a full-fat sampler and make heavy use of its internal effects. The sequencer controls the external instruments, including whatever insert effects I feel like applying.

I’m still learning the ropes. Most (like 90% so far) of the time everything is straight from the DT; I only use the external instruments to flesh out the sound. But over time I think it’ll grow into a more organic, symbiotic workflow.

• @tahiche said:

@rs2000 said:.

@dendy said:

@tahiche

These 2 posts, sum it up perfectly.
    I want to use the Digitakt more cos when I do o find it fun, inspiring and satisfying. Like @dendy
    But I’m not using it much for the reasons @rs2000 points out.
    Although I have to say, even if you can map it all in Drambo or whatever app, it’s not the same. It takes some time, you run into issues, and it doesn’t feel quite as much as an “instument”.

At the end, both of you are using one or the other… So I’m not alone. Right?.
    If there was a kind of Overbridge for iOS… like an auv3 Overbridge… that would be something in marrying the two.

In my case, whole Elektron machines workflow, the way how sequemcer works and how it is controlled somehow deeply clicked with my internal creative self. I found it extremely intuitive and "musical", if this is right word. After some time with DN/DT - i realised when i returned back to my most loved iOS apps, that fun factor is not there. Inspiration is dissapearing, will to make something is missing. Then i switch back to DN/DT and inspiration flows again. Looks like i found my perfect setup.. I feel like it's a bit of betrayal to all my loved apps which served me great for years, but i can't help myself, fell in love with Elektron universe :lol:

Looking forward to add Octstrack as mixer/efector/looper :lol: And then Analog 4 ... I'm doomed, i'm now Elektron maximalist :lol:

• My 1st Intention was to do everything with the iPad.
    But then i missed Hardware and all the knobs. Elektron is Really addictive there...
    With more Space at Home i Plan to buy an a&h xone 96 Mixer to bring everything perfectly together 😉

• @dendy, @inder909, @tahiche
    Indeed, and the Elektron machines (especially the Octatrack) are great examples for how different people are.
    Some love the workflow and the possibilities, some hate the complexity and menu diving.
    It's a very personal thing and there's really no right or wrong.
    My own most creative environments atm are Gadget and Drambo.

I'm using Gadget when I have a musical idea that I want to write down as quickly as possible.

I'm using Drambo when I feel uninspired and I'd just play around with samples, synth and processing modules. Sooner or later a new weird sound or rhythm will boil up from the alchemy lab and very often that's the start of a new song. The fact that I have total freedom to either use instrument presets or build a synth from scratch will end up in something different erevy time.

Also, I've found that the more time I'm spending with a certain tool, the less it makes any difference if it's hardware or software in a touch screen.

• Personally i use the Digitakt as a sequencer hub, because what i love the most about it is the hands-on fun and powerful workflow of it.
    I love iOS apps, sounds and versatility offered by the iPad, but when it's time to hit record i always end up getting frustrated with the workflow of it. i.e. where do i sequence, where do i record audio, etc...Inputing notes in app sequencers doesn't gel with me (despite great sequencer apps like Atom2).
    The Digitakt solved that for me by giving me 8 midi "lanes" + the 8 audio tracks.

My setup goes like this:
    Audio soundcard is a Behringer UMC1820
    ins Digitakt stereo audio + Hardware synths (Minilogue Xd + Pro1 via a zoom MS-70cdr)
    outs 1 mono out of the UMC to the Digitakt for resampling, set up as a send on all Aum channels so that i can resample any Aum track + master out

Midi:

• Everything is using USB midi.
    • Aum as the master hub for midi routing.
    • Midilinksync receiving the Digitakt midi clock and converting midi to Link so as to have the Digitakt being the master clock.
    • Digitakt has the global (auto) midi channel set to 10, the 1-8 tracks are set to midi 1-8 and the A-H midi channels are set to OFF.
    • The Minilogue serves as master keyboard, outputs on channel 10 (routed via Aum to the Digitakt) and is set to local keyboard off (to avoid midi loop issues).
    • When using the tracks A-H (the midi tracks) I always set the midi out to their respective numbers, i.e. track A is set to midi out 9, etc...
      That means track F (14) is always the Minilogue, and G (15) is always the Pro1.

• Track H (16) is used for the knobs only, controlling sends and what not in Aum (that can be sequenced of course, which is very nice with the P-locks).

• I use track A to E to sequence synths in the iPad, again loving P-Locking the knobs to really get things grooving.

What i did is create a kind of template PTN where everything is setup like the above, and copy this PTN to any new project so that i don't have to re-setup all the time.
    I did the same in Aum and reload the template when i start a new project so that i don't have to faf around everytime.

In Aum i always do the following:

• Audio tracks 1,2,3 are hardware stereo ins and receive Digitak, Minilogue, Pro1 (now stereo thanks to the fx of the Zoom ms70).
    • Any more tracks for apps synths/drum machines/loopers/etc...
    • 4 other audio tracks always setup as sends in this template. A is always my master out (all the previously described Aum tracks are set to audio out = send A). Send B is a reverb, Send C is a delay, send D is a compressor (used as "NY style" paralel compression). These sends help gelling everything nicely together.

Happy and creative camper with the above :smiley:

My biggest frustration left after this is recording the result as audio stems. I kinda skirt around this because i never do it, i get my kicks by creating music and fooling around, when i like something i just make sure to name the Aum project the same as the Bank number + PTN number(s) on the Digitakt.

I plan to bridge that setup with my Mac (Ableton live / Maschine mk3 / Komplete) one of these days, probably getting a second UMC1820 (or another soundcard with Adat in/out) and using that as a way to send and receive 8 channels of audio between the 2 setups.

Sorry for the wall of text :wink:

• The Elektron Digi* boxes keep catching my eye but I am always put off by the lack of a song mode, that and deciding which one to buy (yes I know, you probably end up with both). The sequencing looks really immediate when viewing YouTube videos about them and I really like the idea that you can pipe their output straight into the iPad or Mac via usb. I bought a Maschine+ but haven't grown to love it at all.

Maybe I should just bite the bullet with a digitakt and see where I end up.

One question: can you sample from the iPad to digitakt over usb as well?

• Yes you can, you can use the Digitakt as a usb audio-midi soundcard and send audio to the Digitakt outs (means you can sample that).
    It's an amazing combination for a small setup, all the power of the iPad+the hands on of the Digitakt.

• @Mathieu_ said:
    Yes you can, you can use the Digitakt as a usb audio-midi soundcard and send audio to the Digitakt outs (means you can sample that).
    It's an amazing combination for a small setup, all the power of the iPad+the hands on of the Digitakt.

Plus the new digitakt Mixer 😉

• @inder909 said:

@Mathieu_ said:
    Yes you can, you can use the Digitakt as a usb audio-midi soundcard and send audio to the Digitakt outs (means you can sample that).

Plus the new digitakt Mixer 😉

Yes the dual mixer mode to play along with hardware machines and the EQ filters on each track have turned the Digitakt into being the best companion for playing standalone or for sync/recording and sequencing MIDI lanes inside AUM on IPad.
    They do pair and complement each other so well ! 👍

• @rs2000 said:
    @dendy, @inder909, @tahiche
    Indeed, and the Elektron machines (especially the Octatrack) are great examples for how different people are.
    Some love the workflow and the possibilities, some hate the complexity and menu diving.
    It's a very personal thing and there's really no right or wrong.
    My own most creative environments atm are Gadget and Drambo.

I'm using Gadget when I have a musical idea that I want to write down as quickly as possible.

I'm using Drambo when I feel uninspired and I'd just play around with samples, synth and processing modules. Sooner or later a new weird sound or rhythm will boil up from the alchemy lab and very often that's the start of a new song. The fact that I have total freedom to either use instrument presets or build a synth from scratch will end up in something different erevy time.

Also, I've found that the more time I'm spending with a certain tool, the less it makes any difference if it's hardware or software in a touch screen.

yeah, exactly... soo much possibilities .. literally everybody can pick perfect set of tools and workflows to be creative.. what a amazing time to live, endless possibilities !!!

• @rs2000 said:

I'm using Drambo when I feel uninspired and I'd just play around with samples, synth and processing modules. Sooner or later a new weird sound or rhythm will boil up from the alchemy lab and very often that's the start of a new song.

I do the exact same thing, only with the Digitakt!

I realized a while ago that I prefer hardware and software for different things. Usually hardware for creating parts and coming up with ideas, and usually software for recording and arranging. But not always. I also love Ableton’s Simpler for chopping samples, and use the OP-1’s tape.

I tell you though, if i could have a machine that was a cross between a Digitakt and an OP-Z, with a proper multitrack out (including FX), I would never need another machine.

• edited June 2021

@mistercharlie said:

@rs2000 said:

I'm using Drambo when I feel uninspired and I'd just play around with samples, synth and processing modules. Sooner or later a new weird sound or rhythm will boil up from the alchemy lab and very often that's the start of a new song.

I do the exact same thing, only with the Digitakt!

I realized a while ago that I prefer hardware and software for different things. Usually hardware for creating parts and coming up with ideas, and usually software for recording and arranging. But not always. I also love Ableton’s Simpler for chopping samples, and use the OP-1’s tape.

I tell you though, if i could have a machine that was a cross between a Digitakt and an OP-Z, with a proper multitrack out (including FX), I would never need another machine.

I think we're more than blessed to live in a time in that we can choose from a considerable amount of music hardware and software, each offering a different concept and workflow.
    There's something out there for almost everyone :)

• edited June 2021

@Mathieu_ said:
    Personally i use the Digitakt as a sequencer hub, because what i love the most about it is the hands-on fun and powerful workflow of it.
    I love iOS apps, sounds and versatility offered by the iPad, but when it's time to hit record i always end up getting frustrated with the workflow of it. i.e. where do i sequence, where do i record audio, etc...Inputing notes in app sequencers doesn't gel with me (despite great sequencer apps like Atom2).
    The Digitakt solved that for me by giving me 8 midi "lanes" + the 8 audio tracks.

My setup goes like this:
    Audio soundcard is a Behringer UMC1820
    ins Digitakt stereo audio + Hardware synths (Minilogue Xd + Pro1 via a zoom MS-70cdr)
    outs 1 mono out of the UMC to the Digitakt for resampling, set up as a send on all Aum channels so that i can resample any Aum track + master out

Midi:

• Everything is using USB midi.
    • Aum as the master hub for midi routing.
    • Midilinksync receiving the Digitakt midi clock and converting midi to Link so as to have the Digitakt being the master clock.
    • Digitakt has the global (auto) midi channel set to 10, the 1-8 tracks are set to midi 1-8 and the A-H midi channels are set to OFF.
    • The Minilogue serves as master keyboard, outputs on channel 10 (routed via Aum to the Digitakt) and is set to local keyboard off (to avoid midi loop issues).
    • When using the tracks A-H (the midi tracks) I always set the midi out to their respective numbers, i.e. track A is set to midi out 9, etc...
      That means track F (14) is always the Minilogue, and G (15) is always the Pro1.

• Track H (16) is used for the knobs only, controlling sends and what not in Aum (that can be sequenced of course, which is very nice with the P-locks).

• I use track A to E to sequence synths in the iPad, again loving P-Locking the knobs to really get things grooving.

What i did is create a kind of template PTN where everything is setup like the above, and copy this PTN to any new project so that i don't have to re-setup all the time.
    I did the same in Aum and reload the template when i start a new project so that i don't have to faf around everytime.

In Aum i always do the following:

• Audio tracks 1,2,3 are hardware stereo ins and receive Digitak, Minilogue, Pro1 (now stereo thanks to the fx of the Zoom ms70).
    • Any more tracks for apps synths/drum machines/loopers/etc...
    • 4 other audio tracks always setup as sends in this template. A is always my master out (all the previously described Aum tracks are set to audio out = send A). Send B is a reverb, Send C is a delay, send D is a compressor (used as "NY style" paralel compression). These sends help gelling everything nicely together.

Happy and creative camper with the above :smiley:

My biggest frustration left after this is recording the result as audio stems. I kinda skirt around this because i never do it, i get my kicks by creating music and fooling around, when i like something i just make sure to name the Aum project the same as the Bank number + PTN number(s) on the Digitakt.

I plan to bridge that setup with my Mac (Ableton live / Maschine mk3 / Komplete) one of these days, probably getting a second UMC1820 (or another soundcard with Adat in/out) and using that as a way to send and receive 8 channels of audio between the 2 setups.

Sorry for the wall of text :wink:

This is really useful. Like it!. Thanks for sharing 🙏
    Do you save the midi mapping in AUM to map the DT knobs to instruments?.
    If you have them around I’d really like to take a look at the templates!.

• The base midi routing is saved with the template, and individual midi mapping of the knobs (CCs) are saved in the projects.
    I don't have them in the regular template because i change what i control with them depending on the music/vibe/etc, sometimes controlling the synth itself, or some FX I might have added to the channel, etc...

But you could create a second template in AUM with a track for each of your apps, map the standards CC coming out of the Digitakt midi tracks to the parameters you like and save that. Then when you need to add a specific synth you just go fetch it in this template instead of the apps list, change the Aum midi channel of the track to the one corresponding in the Digitakt and voila :smiley:

I'll add a screenshot of the midi routing and tracks in a couple of hours.

• Bought a Digitakt at last and I must say, it connects beautifully with iPad. The sound from the iPad just appeared instantly through the headphones connected to the DT and sampling is particularly easy. I even managed to send the DT output through an audio channel in AUM that could add effects to and sample it back in the DT!

I do have one MIDI issue that I wonder if someone could advise on: I managed to get MIDI tracks to trigger synths on the iPad when I play the buttons in Chromatic mode but when I record the MIDI notes, to a DT MIDI track, they don't send the MIDI notes to the iPad on playback. Any ideas? I'm sure it must be a setting I am missing somewhere.

• @Jocphone Have you checked section 12 of the DT manual?
    There's a number of params that influences sending MIDI from the sequencer.
    Since you can play chromatically, I guess your System MIDI setttings are correct?

• @rs2000 said:
    @Jocphone Have you checked section 12 of the DT manual?
    There's a number of params that influences sending MIDI from the sequencer.
    Since you can play chromatically, I guess your System MIDI setttings are correct?

Can't see anything directly related to sequencing.

• edited July 2021

Make sure you enable the MIDI output on the DT and the receiving synth on the iPad is set on the same channel.

• edited July 2021

Maybe the Digitakt MIDItrack is muted?

@Jocphone said:
    Bought a Digitakt at last and I must say, it connects beautifully with iPad. The sound from the iPad just appeared instantly through the headphones connected to the DT and sampling is particularly easy. I even managed to send the DT output through an audio channel in AUM that could add effects to and sample it back in the DT!

I do have one MIDI issue that I wonder if someone could advise on: I managed to get MIDI tracks to trigger synths on the iPad when I play the buttons in Chromatic mode but when I record the MIDI notes, to a DT MIDI track, they don't send the MIDI notes to the iPad on playback. Any ideas? I'm sure it must be a setting I am missing somewhere.

• @cozido said:
    Make sure you enable the MIDI output on the DT and the receiving synth on the iPad is set on the same channel.

Thanks @cozido I will try this later, after work.

• @dmnc said:
    Maybe the Digitakt MIDItrack is muted?

@Jocphone said:
    Bought a Digitakt at last and I must say, it connects beautifully with iPad. The sound from the iPad just appeared instantly through the headphones connected to the DT and sampling is particularly easy. I even managed to send the DT output through an audio channel in AUM that could add effects to and sample it back in the DT!

Thanks @dmnc I got caught out by one of my audio tracks not sounding for that reason, took me a good hour to figure that was the reason so I know to check now. But that isn't the issue unfortunately.

• I started rocking the Digitakt/Digitone/iPad combo for a live set I'm currently working on. The DT does all the percussion and samples, plus mute destination is turned on to control the synth/midi mutes of the DN. The DN is my master clock/transport and synth sequencer. The iPad has Drambo loaded up in AUM (so I can use program changes to change presets) and is controlled by the DN, with the iPad audio/MIDI going in via the DN USB. It is working fantastically. I have some knobs mapped from the DN to Drambo, as well. I also have a Mozaic script that let's be do properly timed pattern changes on the Digi boxes.

I just got an 8th gen iPad, but I def. want to upgrade to an Air so I can get more processing power. That'll expand the whole setup even more.

• @slicetwo said:
    I started rocking the Digitakt/Digitone/iPad combo for a live set I'm currently working on. The DT does all the percussion and samples, plus mute destination is turned on to control the synth/midi mutes of the DN. The DN is my master clock/transport and synth sequencer. The iPad has Drambo loaded up in AUM (so I can use program changes to change presets) and is controlled by the DN, with the iPad audio/MIDI going in via the DN USB. It is working fantastically. I have some knobs mapped from the DN to Drambo, as well. I also have a Mozaic script that let's be do properly timed pattern changes on the Digi boxes.

I just got an 8th gen iPad, but I def. want to upgrade to an Air so I can get more processing power. That'll expand the whole setup even more.

So you change Drambo patterns in sync with the DT patterns?. Does the DT send a program change message when you switch pattern or do you have to program it?.
    Getting some great ideas here! 👍

• @cozido said:

Completely passed my by that you had to change anything on the screen for the midi track itself! Soon as i set the CHAN setting to a value it started playing zeeon on the ipad. Thanks again @cozido