Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sony Playstation’s “Dreams” creativity and music platform.

This looks like a remarkable platform for creators. What will Sony turn it into for users? A new distribution and sales platform for music, games and interactive content?

Comments

• If I understand correctly, you cannot export your projects.

• I'll get my snarky comment out of the way first: It's Sony, they'll make it amazing and then do something to make it so no one wants it.

I think the presenter in the video is looking at this the wrong way around. It seems more like a mega-Minecraft to me. People have done some absolutely amazing things in Minecraft and part of the reason they do them is that it is hard to do. The limitations of Minecraft make the creation in it more worthwhile.

Which pretty much brings me back to my snarky comment about Sony, they made a Minecraft with more capable tools. But, is that what people want?

I'll note that Microsoft owns Minecraft now. I figure that Sony knows that.

• Guys, I get where the comments about Sony come from, but you need to know this game was made by a small team, based in Guildford, called Media Molecule (the team behind little big planet).

Sony let them run with their creative vision for over 6 years, it was ready when it was ready, which is rare in the gaming world these days.

I had been following the project for years up to the early access and the amount of effort these guys have put into the creation tools is astonishing. Especially the audio tools, which one of the founders is super passionate about.

It’s been out for about a year, and prior to that, they released it as early access to let the community start creating stuff.

Sure, you cannot export your creations, but where would you export them to? This is a custom made creation tool, primarily made to make games and art on PlayStation, the surprisingly deep music and sound making tools are a sizeable cherry on top.

The freedom this team appeared to have had making this game and the results are pretty unique in the industry.

• @timforsyth said:
    Guys, I get where the comments about Sony come from, but you need to know this game was made by a small team, based in Guildford, called Media Molecule (the team behind little big planet).

Sony let them run with their creative vision for over 6 years, it was ready when it was ready, which is rare in the gaming world these days.

I had been following the project for years up to the early access and the amount of effort these guys have put into the creation tools is astonishing. Especially the audio tools, which one of the founders is super passionate about.

It’s been out for about a year, and prior to that, they released it as early access to let the community start creating stuff.

Sure, you cannot export your creations, but where would you export them to? This is a custom made creation tool, primarily made to make games and art on PlayStation, the surprisingly deep music and sound making tools are a sizeable cherry on top.

The freedom this team appeared to have had making this game and the results are pretty unique in the industry.

Thanks for the info. I'd heard they were the team behind Little Big Planet but I didn't know anything about it or them beyond that. I'll have to look up some more about them. It looks fun and I don't think that not being able to export from the game/platform will matter to anyone that wants to use it.

Also, to put my comment about Sony in context, everything I've ever bought that was made by Sony has been excellent. I think everything I've bought from them still works. That's like 40 years for some things! It's just that they seem to be able to make their superior tech irrelevant way too often.

• edited June 2021

@timforsyth said:
    a small team, based in Guildford

Seems to be a hub of indie/small game/software developers in Guildford. My favorite game devs of all time are also based in Guildford (and now Cambridge); Hello Games.

Speaking of “pretty unique in the industry”, must be something in the water over there!

• Export. So you cant export outside of dreams? To youtube etc?

• edited October 2021

Phenomenal and abysmal. Wonderful GUI and encyclopedic creative resource. But chained to PlayStation with no ownership or export.

• If I wasn’t already on the iOS platform for music making, I’d definitely try this. I remember when the first MUSIC program came out for the PS1. I loved it! And then MUSIC 2000 came out a while after. They were pretty deep when you dug into them. I never had a pc for music making, so those old programs were my first experience of sequencing in a DAW. Much easier than the old analog hardware I had at the time!

No need for this now I have the iPad. But I imagine it’s a good thing for reaching those who have never tried music making before and don’t have any music making gear.

• Would be cool to make ios tracks and an animation in dreams. For youtube etc.

• Not sure there would be any visual creation apps as good ( on ios ) but this could have maybe been cool. Additionally.

• Any good capture cards without a pc?