Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

IAA apps don’t launch in Audiobus but do in AUM

What I’m talking about is: when the AB session is first loaded IAA apps such as Samplr and Loopy require to be opened in standalone first.

I’d accept that as an IAA or iOS limitation but AUM manages that without a problem.

So what’s going on?

Comments

• @supadom said:
    What I’m talking about is: when the AB session is first loaded IAA apps such as Samplr and Loopy require to be opened in standalone first.

I’d accept that as an IAA or iOS limitation but AUM manages that without a problem.

So what’s going on?

You may need to enable "Local Network" access for the apps. Does AB display an (i) symbol on the app when connected? I just tried this with FM Player (on iPad 6, iPadOS 14.6), and AB said it needed network access.

Please be specific about your device and iOS version. Does this affect all IAAs, or just the ones you mentioned?

• This is the case across all the latest iOS versions. Easily since iOS 10.
    No, it’s not the network thing. They do load ok when I start them individually first and then the Audiobus session but what bugs me is that AUM just does it whereas Audiobus struggles, even with apps like loopy which should have a total integration.

• edited June 2021

@supadom said:
    This is the case across all the latest iOS versions. Easily since iOS 10.
    No, it’s not the network thing. They do load ok when I start them individually first and then the Audiobus session but what bugs me is that AUM just does it whereas Audiobus struggles, even with apps like loopy which should have a total integration.

So, why does this work for me, but not for you?

Are you referring to loading an AB preset, or just opening AB and loading an IAA app?

Edit: Just loaded an old AB preset including an IAA. Worked fine after granting Network Access to the app. So that seems to work also.

• @uncledave said:

@supadom said:
    This is the case across all the latest iOS versions. Easily since iOS 10.

So, why does this work for me, but not for you?

Are you referring to loading an AB preset, or just opening AB and loading an IAA app?

Edit: Just loaded an old AB preset including an IAA. Worked fine after granting Network Access to the app. So that seems to work also.

That’s exactly what my question is too!
    This is what I’ve been getting for the last 5 years or so on all iPads and iOS versions air 1, air 2, pro 10.5 pro 11 2018, pro 11 2020.

• NB, they do load when I tap them to launch but not when I load the session.

• This is what I get when I press load session in AUM. Spot the difference!

• Ah, I'm struggling to recall the details right now. I think it was an IAA bug/limitation for which the only workaround was to launch the app into the foreground. I'll get back to you if I remember, just flat out getting Loopy Pro public-beta ready right now. Loopy Pro, BTW, works as an Audio Unit, which is a better user experience all round compared to buggy-as-hell IAA.

• @Michael said:
    Ah, I'm struggling to recall the details right now. I think it was an IAA bug/limitation for which the only workaround was to launch the app into the foreground. I'll get back to you if I remember, just flat out getting Loopy Pro public-beta ready right now. Loopy Pro, BTW, works as an Audio Unit, which is a better user experience all round compared to buggy-as-hell IAA.

Public Beta sounds great, can’t wait to dig in… cheers!

• It would be interesting to know what Jonathan did to make this work in AUM though. Even when Loopy Pro is out there’s still other classic IAA apps that folks use that have no AU equivalents. @j_liljedahl ?

• @supadom said:
    It would be interesting to know what Jonathan did to make this work in AUM though. Even when Loopy Pro is out there’s still other classic IAA apps that folks use that have no AU equivalents. @j_liljedahl ?

I don't think I did anything specific. I think the difference is because AUM uses standard IAA, while Audiobus has a custom layer on top of it. I remember that long ago, Audiobus could only launch apps into foreground, and then Michael added the ability for Audiobus apps to load in the background. Perhaps the apps using the old Audiobus SDK kept this must-launch-in-foreground behaviour because they weren't adapted for (standard IAA) background launch.