Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Hammerhead 25th Anniversary Edition - Out Now!

Comments

• @brambos said:

@FPC said:
    Midi out question.

HH lays down it's midi note info beautifully to Cubasis 3 piano roll: recording a two bar loop then going back into HH, disabling play and then comparing what's just been recorded to CB3 with the original sounds identical except all of the lovely glitches, strutters and flams are gone :'(

Does glitch and mutation not output to midi? I've tried a few things like turning quantisation off on CB3 but no luck: patterns are still stripped of all the Aphex Twin bits.

No, all the sequencer goodness is tied to the internal HH sequencer. In fact, the retriggers and glitch effects are actually audio (delay) effects, not MIDI triggers. The sequencer doesn't even know when they happen so it won't be able to queue a MIDI event for output when it happens.

So, when will we be able to use Hammerhead as an AuV3 effect??? 😃

• edited June 2021

I have to say, the simple as can be drum synth is quite effective at anything, especially snares. Somethin about that noise filter gives em a really good tone. And it’s simple to get some real weight behind it. Always did like a good deep snare. Get that piccolo crap outta here

Brilliant simplified chunk of programming

• @oat_phipps said:
    I have to say, the simple as can be drum synth is quite effective at anything, especially snares. Somethin about that noise filter gives em a really good tone.

Thanks, they are a combination of several filters, modelled around the TR-909 snare filters, so some credit for the design goes to Roland ;)

• edited June 2021

Great app.. already a go to… PatchArena anyone?

Wish for DrumLab’s ‘Record Automation’.. and in almost all AuV3s too.Thanks..

• edited June 2021

@ehehehe said:
    Seems okay but sounds alot like Ruismaker to me, which I adore. This seems simpler synth-wize, so it’s a pass from me so far. Quality dev no doubt.

I was asking this for the opposite reason…

@tahiche said:
    Can this replace Ruismaker?. Can it do what Ruismaker does AND more?.
    I’m certainly not an EDM guy or into dance music, but Ruismaker can be so elegant and not in your face… It’s like “good” electronics if you know what I mean.
    So if Hammerhead can do those same sounds but with an excellent sequencer and plenty more options I’m totally in.

If it sounds like Ruismaker but it’s got added sample player and a really good looking sequencer I’m totally 100% motivated. So does it?. In some other thread they mentioned that Ruismaker sounds “small”, and it might be right and why I like it so much.

@auxmux said:
    Also, if the kit could be changed but keeping patterns and other settings the same. I do this with Maschine all the time to try out different sounds.

+1 for separating patterns and kits. Seems very obvious to me, you have a pattern and want to check different sounds with it. I asked for the same in Drambo. This plus saving individual kit pieces are really important imho.

• @brambos said:

@FPC said:
    Midi out question.

HH lays down it's midi note info beautifully to Cubasis 3 piano roll: recording a two bar loop then going back into HH, disabling play and then comparing what's just been recorded to CB3 with the original sounds identical except all of the lovely glitches, strutters and flams are gone :'(

Does glitch and mutation not output to midi? I've tried a few things like turning quantisation off on CB3 but no luck: patterns are still stripped of all the Aphex Twin bits.

No, all the sequencer goodness is tied to the internal HH sequencer. In fact, the retriggers and glitch effects are actually audio (delay) effects, not MIDI triggers. The sequencer doesn't even know when they happen so it won't be able to queue a MIDI event for output when it happens.

Ok. Thanks for clarifying that.

Maybe I'll try sending pattern change CC's from CB3 to HH and build up my tracks that way or is there a song mode in HH? Assume Sequence mode scrolls through patterns in numerical order...Off to watch some tutorial videos.

Happy for anybody's suggestions for how to build up a song in Cubasis using HH and still taking advantage of glitches and mutations.

• I watched the rest of Doug’s livestream later yesterday (I had a busy evening) so that I could see what he did with HH - this thing is a monster!

• Dougstep

I had to.

• @FPC said:

@brambos said:

@FPC said:
    Midi out question.

Maybe I'll try sending pattern change CC's from CB3 to HH and build up my tracks that way or is there a song mode in HH? Assume Sequence mode scrolls through patterns in numerical order...Off to watch some tutorial videos.

Happy for anybody's suggestions for how to build up a song in Cubasis using HH and still taking advantage of glitches and mutations.

You can play back patterns with a single note which is the way I recommend sequencing HH in Cubasis.
    I listed the trick a few pages back but try this:

• Disable the internal sequencer of HH (play button off)
    • Trigger notes C0-G0 with the Cubasis sequencer to hear the entire pattern with all the mutations and funky stuff intact
    • Presto: single note song mode B)

• Oh wow. I missed that Cubasis trick. That’s totally awesome and I’ve always wanted that ability

• FPCFPC
    edited June 2021

@brambos said:

@FPC said:

@brambos said:

@FPC said:
    Midi out question.

You can play back patterns with a single note which is the way I recommend sequencing HH in Cubasis.
    I listed the trick a few pages back but try this:

• Disable the internal sequencer of HH (play button off)
    • Trigger notes C0-G0 with the Cubasis sequencer to hear the entire pattern with all the mutations and funky stuff intact
    • Presto: single note song mode B)

Brilliant! Thank you so much for this, I had no idea. I was a little sad but now I'm all happy again 😂

Top, top app by the way. The level of intracacy you can dial in so quickly with that sequencer is astounding.

• @oat_phipps said:
    Oh wow. I missed that Cubasis trick. That’s totally awesome and I’ve always wanted that ability

Exactly, so glad that Bram pays attention to these things!

• @FPC said:

Brilliant! Thank you so much for this, I had no idea. I was a little sad but now I'm all happy again 😂

You can obviously combine this with single-instrument triggers to program variations and fills in Cubasis.

• I played with it and instantly started grinning. This app is huge fun! Already earned it's dollars spent for me. Thanks again @brambos !!

• edited June 2021

You can pan each channel

• edited June 2021

I just feed into HH bunch of zenhiser hardore loops and got decent amount of cool breaks in 15 minutes. I swear it's qucik and fun as hell. One of mine buddies already ordered an iPad Air just fo HH :)

• @CapnWillie said:
    Thanks @NimboStratus !

Any reason for not using HH's own panning? Not judging, just curious :)

• @CapnWillie said:

@brambos said:

@CapnWillie said:
    Thanks @NimboStratus !

Any reason for not using HH's own panning? Not judging, just curious :)

I use it plenty and love the xy mixer btw. I’ve been hammering away and creating presets for 3 hours str8 already!lol

When multi outing, I want as dry and balanced signals as possible so I know I’m starting from scratch as it relates to mixing/fx process so I don’t get lost or confused as to why a certain channel may be unbalanced, phasing or otherwise a bit off in any particular mixing session.

Hope that makes sense.

Yes, absolutely does! :smile:

• edited June 2021

Not had a lot of chance to play with this app yet but multi-out seems to work as expected in MultiTrackStudio using the trick described here: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/45360/au-multi-out-e-g-digistix-in-multitrackstudio The mixdown/freeze instructions as described in that link also work fine to render the stems:

• @brambos

I've had a few problems with UI glitches in the standalone app.

The left arrow in the BPM settings disappeared once but came back when I switched to another app and then back again.
    The field showing the sample name has been blank a few times even though a sample is loaded.

I haven't been able to figure out exactly when and why this happens though.

• The drum synth on here is really amazing. Reminds me a bit of a Volca drum but way easier to dial in good sounds quickly

• @brambos Having used Hammerhead a Lot over the past day I can say it already “feels like home” and did so amazingly fast. Complete love affair here.

One feature my hands keep reaching for is filter lanes in the sequencer: ideally a simple high-pass / low-pass akin to the Volca Sample applicable on a per-step basis. Like the existing Pitch sliders in the sequencer the filter could default to bypass (inactive) in the middle and incrementally cut bass when sliding up and cut highs when sliding down. This would be so useful within the already-expressive sequencer.

PS I totally understand if the filter idea strays too far from the original concept / simplicity.

• @Proppa said:
    One feature my hands keep reaching for is filter lanes in the sequencer: ideally a simple high-pass / low-pass akin to the Volca Sample applicable on a per-step basis. Like the existing Pitch sliders in the sequencer the filter could default to bypass (inactive) in the middle and incrementally cut bass when sliding up and cut highs when sliding down. This would be so useful within the already-expressive sequencer.

+1 that would be amazingly useful

• I’m really enjoying the fun side of this, it’s definitely met Bram’s brief of immediacy and accessibility, and a nice bonus that it puts MIDI out...

I still wouldn’t turn down a per step reverse though, long tap/hold or something... swipe adding of steps would also be nice. Maybe a way to see all steps at once, full page style, oh and the sample import section looks a bit bare, and has a bit of spare space for some tweaks - perhaps envelopes or filters or some bits from the drum synth - resonater perhaps?

Otherwise it’s perfect 🤣

I’ll get my coat and begone, taxi! 😬😆

• I’ve loaded one of the presets that has less than 16 steps but how can you make the other steps active? I’ve tried tapping on the active button and velocity but it seems locked. I’ve tried saving as a new preset but same thing

• @NimboStratus said:
    I’ve loaded one of the presets that has less than 16 steps but how can you make the other steps active? I’ve tried tapping on the active button and velocity but it seems locked. I’ve tried saving as a new preset but same thing

Bring up Chan. Config. at the bottom right.

• edited June 2021

@brambos Love the immediateness of it - just dive in and start making sounds!

The sample load mode is fun with loops. Generates some unexpected results.

• Some basic filtering would be great, even a simple SVF like Samplr has.
    • The ability to load a different kit with the same patterns would be great (though I have a vague memory from one of the videos that this might be possible, and I have R'ed TFM a few times but can't see a way to do this).
  • edited June 2021

@brambos exporting a pattern as audio (like in the Ruismakers) would be great for a resampling workflow.

Thanks for Hammerhead!

Edit: well, it looks like hosting it Drambo and exporting audio from it gives me all that I need in this regard :)

• So I’m an idiot…. Is there a way to solo a step? I long press and obviously can mute. But can figure out how to mute all or solo just one.

• @onerez said:
    So I’m an idiot…. Is there a way to solo a step? I long press and obviously can mute. But can figure out how to mute all or solo just one.

Long press on the name of the drum