Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Hammerhead 25th Anniversary Edition - Out Now!

Comments

• @AndyPlankton loved that weird-glitchy-dub

• @reasOne said:
    This is a great app, all the options for adding variety are great and fast… the song mode to play thru the sequences is lovely, plus the built in sequencer (every drum machine should have a sequencer ) just make this best in class. I love it.
    Solid just have app IMO

+127

• Truly love it so far. Only feature request would be a view mode with 8 juicy, delicious drum pads

• That would be Grooverider gr16> @realdawei said:

Truly love it so far. Only feature request would be a view mode with 8 juicy, delicious drum pads

• edited June 2021

The easy polyrhythms and polymeters (Divisions/Steps) looks very powerful and simple to do never-static 16-step patterns. And they are per channel! Or global. Can Loop Sync be disabled, or does it reset at the beginning? Anyone have a demo of this?

Divisions/Steps - this lets you set the time signature of your track by setting the number of steps that make up a full bar. For regular 4/4 beats keep it on 16. Steps are the number of divisions you want to sequence. If steps < divsions the sequence will loop until restarted.

Divisions and steps can be set independently per channel for interesting polyrhythms and polymeters.

And the sequencer's per-step locks like sample-start, chance, flam, retrig, along with pitch, decay, velocity looks powerful too.

• Thanks. Goes well with unused deck. Will make Vaetxh style music also, with the other ipad. Although its the easiest drum machine ever. It will make ultra glitch. Sort of programming maybe. You got style man.

• You could buy a deck with your earnings. I sold 1210s as its just as good for me.

• @NeuM said:

@Obo said:
    Very happy camper right now!

Watch your volume, it’s loud

You could make an Art of Noise song with that loop. ;)

• Amongst all the lovely things this brings the sequencer is how drum sequencers should be done. Perfect. If I could add anything it would be a 'sounds only' toggle button in the load presets box, it would be nice to switch kits preserving the original patterns.

• I'm just waking up and reading all your kind words. Thanks, that makes me very happy since HH has always had such a special place in my past (and heart).

Also taking notes of requests and feedback. Although I have a stricter-than-usual design regime for HH (because I want the app to keep/capture the spirit of the original) there are certainly things I'm going to be adding and working on now.

:)

• @brambos i can midi sync the up/down in the mixer. is it possible to midi sync the left/right ?

fantastic drum station ! many tx

• @mlau said:
    @brambos i can midi sync the up/down in the mixer. is it possible to midi sync the left/right ?

You mean control panning via MIDI? Yes, that should be possible.
    The best way is to MIDI learn the AU Parameters for Pan to one of your MIDI controllers.

There are also fixed MIDI CC mappings, I can look them up if you like, but I really recommend sticking to AU Parameters going forward. They're the future B)

• @brambos said:
    I'm just waking up and reading all your kind words. Thanks, that makes me very happy since HH has always had such a special place in my past (and heart).

Also taking notes of requests and feedback. Although I have a stricter-than-usual design regime for HH (because I want the app to keep/capture the spirit of the original) there are certainly things I'm going to be adding and working on now.

:)

Quality music app @brambos left a App Store review this morning don’t forget people if you like the app leave a good review. The workflow of this thing is so smooth. Great work.

• @brambos said:

@mlau said:
    @brambos i can midi sync the up/down in the mixer. is it possible to midi sync the left/right ?

You mean control panning via MIDI? Yes, that should be possible.
    The best way is to MIDI learn the AU Parameters for Pan to one of your MIDI controllers.

There are also fixed MIDI CC mappings, I can look them up if you like, but I really recommend sticking to AU Parameters going forward. They're the future B)

i’ll be fine, thanks !

• @brambos Inside the parameter edit window below, every selected note is accented with a thin light-blue line. It might get a bit more pronounced. In poor light condition, i constantly move my eyes up to the trigger-button row what notes are selected in order to change them.

• Hehe... so it’s time now...

In automation lanes that default to 100% (decay, chance), it’s very difficult to distinguish steps with note on vs off, especially when pattern length / resolution doesn’t line up with seq (or seq hidden, due to size) - higher contrast or anything... to make it more obvious

Double tap seq lanes selectors (vel, pitch, decay etc) to reset values to default - would be nice to have, for bonus 🦈 points - a single slot of save/restore snapshot for automation lanes :)

Preview sound - from browser or a trigger area on UI

Not sure how feasible UI or internals wise - revealing currently hidden pitch, decay params for sample playback engines, atm only accessible from seq lanes

From performance POV long tap to unsolo seems tricky, when track soloed (with long tap), unsoloing should be immediate, selecting track is secondary in this context imo, but may cause confusion.

• After playing with hammerhead till 5 morning I noticed many extra clicks when changing the user sample. One need to open main folder, pick a loop and adjust lenght.
    I thoght in order to simplify process under "user wav" section maybe there should be few buttons "previous and "next sample"?
    Also it would be cool if Hammerhead will keep sample lenght and choke preferencer when swithing samples. I noticed most of sample libraries contain 4 bar lopps so there's not so much sense to change manually.

• @lazyass said:
    I thoght in order to simplify process under "user wav" section maybe there should be few buttons "previous and "next sample"?

While that's a cool thought, I don't think it's possible since I'm relying on the iOS Files picker to supply me a link to the selected file. I'm very limited in what I can add there in terms of non-standard behavior and I don't think it supports previous/next file selections: it always requires the user to explicitly select a file.

I'll see what Apple has on offer for us.

Also it would be cool if Hammerhead will keep sample lenght and choke preferencer when swithing samples.

I have already changed this for 1.0.1, so that's definitely in B)

• edited June 2021

@brambos , under the channel config, is it possible to have individual channel selections for the randomisation, (thinking of Rosetta Rhythm), instead of only having ‘this’ or ‘all’ channels available for randomisation.
    eg, I want to keep the kick and hats, but randomise everything else ??
    Thanks

• @brambos having a lot of fun with HH. It’s definitely now my go-to drum machine on iOS. Congrats!

I’d like to see per step reverse playback. It’s a function I used a lot in hardware and not just to go moob - moob - moob, but as a sound design tool which can be very powerful especially with custom samples. I hope you’ll give it some thought.

To me, the mixer seems out of place. Once I put my finger on the blue dot I feel like I’m working blind with no point of reference and having to lift my finger to see where I am isn’t as elegant as the rest of the app. Maybe something could be done about that along with double tap to reset?

The ability to save and load individual sounds, as has been mentioned, would be nice.

That all being said, HH is killer and even without these few changes will continue to be killer! Thanks!

😎👍🏼

• Really enjoying this!

Love the multi-outs!

In general, sample start 8/8 could activate choke (and playback nothing), that would be semantically consistent, and let you cut-off samples or open hh, plus make tweaking this parameter live even more fun.

For longer samples, would it make sense to have a self-choke one-shot playback option? (Keeping the global choke setting as a separate thing that works as it does now I guess)

• I just noticed that I have to run 3 instances of Hammerhead in NS2 before it even registers on the CPU bar. That’s incredible.

• @brambos said:

While that's a cool thought, I don't think it's possible since I'm relying on the iOS Files picker to supply me a link to the selected file. I'm very limited in what I can add there in terms of non-standard behavior and I don't think it supports previous/next file selections: it always requires the user to explicitly select a file.

I'll see what Apple has on offer for us.

Ah, I forgot about elephatnt in the room named Apple)

@brambos said:

I have already changed this for 1.0.1, so that's definitely in B)

Sir, I never doubted you for a second B)

• FPCFPC
    edited June 2021

@Identor said:
    @brambos Inside the parameter edit window below, every selected note is accented with a thin light-blue line. It might get a bit more pronounced. In poor light condition, i constantly move my eyes up to the trigger-button row what notes are selected in order to change them.

Yes. Struggle to see what's going on here...or at least it doesn't jump off the screen at me.

Plus, I know others will not think this necessary but I wish the drum names were duplicated vertically down the left hand side of the grid. I know there's no room because of the scroll bars and using these scroll bars will quickly tell me what drum is on what line....but my brain still struggles a bit especially mid-table.

Anyway scathing criticism aside easily my app of the year so far, will be my go-to for drums from now on. Big fun, inspiring and flexible. Amazing price too 😍

• @circledsquare said:
    In general, sample start 8/8 could activate choke (and playback nothing), that would be semantically consistent, and let you cut-off samples or open hh, plus make tweaking this parameter live even more fun.

I like this idea! Gonna see if I can make that work without breaking anything else :)

• edited June 2021

@anickt said:
    @brambos having a lot of fun with HH. It’s definitely now my go-to drum machine on iOS. Congrats!

I’d like to see per step reverse playback. It’s a function I used a lot in hardware and not just to go moob - moob - moob, but as a sound design tool which can be very powerful especially with custom samples. I hope you’ll give it some thought.

To me, the mixer seems out of place. Once I put my finger on the blue dot I feel like I’m working blind with no point of reference and having to lift my finger to see where I am isn’t as elegant as the rest of the app. Maybe something could be done about that along with double tap to reset?

The ability to save and load individual sounds, as has been mentioned, would be nice.

That all being said, HH is killer and even without these few changes will continue to be killer! Thanks!

😎👍🏼

@brambos

Well we knew it would be really... but it is indeed a very inspiring and ‘result churning out’ app , gold and platinum stars sir..

i would like to +1 on reverse , for the samples OBVS not for the synth , though some kind of reverse envelope would also be ‘noice’ there.. probably too late to have the decay knob go reverse for the last half?
    +2.5 on the save individual sounds even if it’s only out to files to save bloating.. of course there are workarounds for this ..

my main ‘Ask’ if i may be be so bold ( possibly mentioned already? ) is for the individual routed outs to be able to be muted in the main app... just tried it , and any routed sound still obeys the mixer levels ‘n’ mutes.
    I can see that as a very useful thing of course, dub style .. using the mutes to let a burst of a channel out through an individually routed effect. BUT maybe in the Channel Config panel it could have a seperate ‘mute sound in main app’ so those that want to eq each channel individually etc can do that with the routing. OH! and on that subject could the main mutes be AU parameters? maybe you already have more parameters inline for an update so i may be premature there?
    ALSO in AU parameters i see “Foobar” at list end ... a bit of whimsy? :) or does it actually control anything.. tried automating it but can’t hear a difference??

there.. that’s already too many questions... apologies..

• Hah.. the F00BAR is for communication between the standalone app and the AUv3. So it has to be there, but it doesn't do anything meaningful (you can't break anything by tinkering with it either) ;)

• Midi out question.

HH lays down it's midi note info beautifully to Cubasis 3 piano roll: recording a two bar loop then going back into HH, disabling play and then comparing what's just been recorded to CB3 with the original sounds identical except all of the lovely glitches, strutters and flams are gone :'(

Does glitch and mutation not output to midi? I've tried a few things like turning quantisation off on CB3 but no luck: patterns are still stripped of all the Aphex Twin bits.

Aleyas's Drambo Dynamic Drums sequencer (playing Slammer) puts out all manner of machine gun retriggers which are faithfully recorded in Cubasis.

• Really enjoying the app! Not sure if these have been mentioned but au parameters for velocity, pitch, etc would be great.

Also, if the kit could be changed but keeping patterns and other settings the same. I do this with Maschine all the time to try out different sounds.

For patterns, I love how Rozeta Rhythm has the ability to set the number of times a pattern plays before switching and pattern sequence options, that would be awesome for HH.

• @FPC said:
    Midi out question.

HH lays down it's midi note info beautifully to Cubasis 3 piano roll: recording a two bar loop then going back into HH, disabling play and then comparing what's just been recorded to CB3 with the original sounds identical except all of the lovely glitches, strutters and flams are gone :'(

Does glitch and mutation not output to midi? I've tried a few things like turning quantisation off on CB3 but no luck: patterns are still stripped of all the Aphex Twin bits.

No, all the sequencer goodness is tied to the internal HH sequencer. In fact, the retriggers and glitch effects are actually audio (delay) effects, not MIDI triggers. The sequencer doesn't even know when they happen so it won't be able to queue a MIDI event for output when it happens.