Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Way to record clean mic signal and effected same time

Hi! Is there way to record clean signal like headphone mic and same time record same mic signal with audiobus effects like reverb. It would be nice to demo stuff with effects on, but if I want to change reverb later of the recording I would have the clean version also. What apps you suggest for recording if this is possible?

Comments

• You’re better off recording dry, as it’s near impossible to remove effects from an audio track if you record them live.

• Any app that supports mix bussing can do this, just send the audio to two channels (one wet, one dry) and record both.

AUM and Auria Pro can both do this.

• As a noob, I find the dry/wet recording conundrum fascinating. If you’ve got so much capability in the box, why not always record dry until you have to freeze a track? I heard that even David Gilnour’s guitar solo in Another Brick in the Wall Part II was just his Les Paul DI’s into the desk. (They fed the recording through an amp after the fact and recorded that, though!)

A related issue with virtualisation of audio is how it might affect performance and sound complexity. I only just realised how much you lose when you’re playing loud modelled guitar through headphones. The sound it located simply in your ears. Where’s the feedback, the sound coursing through your body and the body of the instrument? Where’s the natural sympathetic string vibration?

• @jebni said:
    As a noob, I find the dry/wet recording conundrum fascinating. If you’ve got so much capability in the box, why not always record dry until you have to freeze a track? I heard that even David Gilnour’s guitar solo in Another Brick in the Wall Part II was just his Les Paul DI’s into the desk. (They fed the recording through an amp after the fact and recorded that, though!)

A related issue with virtualisation of audio is how it might affect performance and sound complexity. I only just realised how much you lose when you’re playing loud modelled guitar through headphones. The sound it located simply in your ears. Where’s the feedback, the sound coursing through your body and the body of the instrument? Where’s the natural sympathetic string vibration?

One argument for recording the "amped" signal is to remove a temptation for overtweaking at mic time. There is no one right way. A producer I like said something like "I find that if you focus your attention on getting a good tone on a take, it is inspiring to the players and it is one less thing to worry about when mixing. And there are guys I really like who do the opposite. It really is about what works for you."

• @espiegel123 said:

@jebni said:
    As a noob, I find the dry/wet recording conundrum fascinating. If you’ve got so much capability in the box, why not always record dry until you have to freeze a track? I heard that even David Gilnour’s guitar solo in Another Brick in the Wall Part II was just his Les Paul DI’s into the desk. (They fed the recording through an amp after the fact and recorded that, though!)

One argument for recording the "amped" signal is to remove a temptation for overtweaking at mic time. There is no one right way. A producer I like said something like "I find that if you focus your attention on getting a good tone on a take, it is inspiring to the players and it is one less thing to worry about when mixing. And there are guys I really like who do the opposite. It really is about what works for you."

Indeed, a great point. There’s something about just going for it that’s attractive.

• And of course, recording a wet signal from a bunch of great hardware that you’ve learned in a live context has its own advantages. I just don’t have the budget to buy that stuff :)

• @richardyot said:
    Any app that supports mix bussing can do this, just send the audio to two channels (one wet, one dry) and record both.

You mean that both can record dry signal and effected one in audiobus same time?(good example would be using autotune for vocals in audiobus) Is AUM doing same thing as Audiobus or what are differences between those? Looks like I should have got AUM instead of Audiobus.

• @audiobusfan said:

@richardyot said:
    Any app that supports mix bussing can do this, just send the audio to two channels (one wet, one dry) and record both.

You mean that both can record dry signal and effected one in audiobus same time?(good example would be using autotune for vocals in audiobus) Is AUM doing same thing as Audiobus or what are differences between those? Looks like I should have got AUM instead of Audiobus.

AUM is a flexible mixing and hosting app with a great bussing architecture and built in recording of any "lane". Audiobus doesn't have buses or internal audio recording.

Audiobus has a lot of uses as a glue between apps..particularly if using standalone apps.

If you do a search, you will find much information about AUM and Audiobus and their features.

• @espiegel123 said:

@audiobusfan said:

@richardyot said:

AUM is a flexible mixing and hosting app with a great bussing architecture and built in recording of any "lane". Audiobus doesn't have buses or internal audio recording.

Audiobus has a lot of uses as a glue between apps..particularly if using standalone apps.

If you do a search, you will find much information about AUM and Audiobus and their features.

Ok thanks. Is there anything that Audiobus can do but AUM doesn’t? I can’t find anything so AUM would be best to use?

• @audiobusfan said:

@espiegel123 said:

@audiobusfan said:

@richardyot said:

Ok thanks. Is there anything that Audiobus can do but AUM doesn’t? I can’t find anything so AUM would be best to use?

Lots of things. See https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/18138/how-is-audiobus-3-different-from-aum/p1