Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How to make fancy remixes

I want to set up to make remixes, to be able to maybe have the original track in one lane to keep time or as reference, and use an app to cut up selected parts of the song to go in loops, to make it become a house track for a period of the song to run that in track two, effects like this small remix effort i made of Skyy’s-Call me in the link.

https://youtube.com/shorts/xbMwHeCRGv8?feature=share

Also would be cool to add some drum machines and granular effects in certain parts. I imagine I could choose what part of the original song in track one I keep in and what part of the mix of track two i put in in the mixdown. I don’t know how to approach this really, what apps to use, could i clock sync it somehow? Could I load something like that up in cubasis maybe?
How would you do it?

Comments

• I would go with Cubasis as first option. Beatmaker second.
    Put the song as a reference, set to stretch and define the tempo you want to do your remix

You can draw empty midi sections to indicate where things are, to get a view of your structure...

Than you can start chopping and rearranging parts, inserting other instruments, etc.

• Hey man! Let's go with Cubasis. Bear with me here,

Do you mean to make an estimation of the BPM of track one and set that as tempo?
    Or put the original song in track one and stretch that to a time? Does Cubasis 3 have a function that can detect tempo of the original song, or how should I think of it?

I want to use some clock sync'd apps to play along with the song, to add an odd arp and drum machine, but is it a concern that the tempo starts straying from the original? Maybe I have to choose like a good 30 Second part of the song? Any tips here?

I like your idea about drawing in midi sections, did you mean to draw those on Track one to mark interesting parts? Is there anything I can do with them in particularly with being marked midi areas, or is it just the easiest "go-to"? (:

It inspired me to think about a way of recording. If I could stay clock synced with the original track maybe I could mark/arm sections of track two for recording that activates when the time-head passes over it, Then I could be ready with a DJ app (or another app that could benefit with time sync creatively) to try and scratch something in that part. Does Cubasis 3 allow for looped recordings/takes, or snap-in/out in this fashion?
    -I suppose I could just record scratching stuff next to the whole song and keep some of the successful parts if any.. I wonder what DJ app has the best scratching functions.

What I know I'll try is to launch Koala samples using Midi at certain parts of the song, for some reason I think that will make my day easier than just copy/pasting small parts linearly. do you reckon I should try it from piano-roll in Cubasis, or sync it with Drambo or another midi FX app?

• edited June 2021

I’m not quite sure it is what you are looking for here but MultiTrack Recorder came to mind whilst reading this as it lets you choose arbitrary points in a sample and trigger playback from those points, either freestyle or for a certain number of beats.

• edited June 2021

@_smund said:
    Hey man! Let's go with Cubasis. Bear with me here,

I'm not sure if I suggested would work, so let's embark together in this journey :lol:
    Last time I did something like this was with Beatmaker 2, and I lost the project somehow :tongue:

Do you mean to make an estimation of the BPM of track one and set that as tempo?
    Or put the original song in track one and stretch that to a time? Does Cubasis 3 have a function that can detect tempo of the original song, or how should I think of it?

I'm still in Cubasis 2, and i'm guessing C3 doesn't have the function to detect tempo too. I already saw mentions in the forum regarding apps that do that. You could try searching online (some songs have that kind of info) or you could drop the original in track 1 and without the timestretch, try following the beats hitting the Tap Tempo button.

Or you could just choose the tempo you would like (the remix doesn't have to be the same tempo) and work with that.

I want to use some clock sync'd apps to play along with the song, to add an odd arp and drum machine, but is it a concern that the tempo starts straying from the original? Maybe I have to choose like a good 30 Second part of the song? Any tips here?

If the song has some of those fractioned BPMs (102.3, for example :lol:) it may be hard. But maybe using that tap tempo trick above, it may end up not drifting. If it is, you could stick to a section like you mentioned. That's a good idea

I like your idea about drawing in midi sections, did you mean to draw those on Track one to mark interesting parts? Is there anything I can do with them in particularly with being marked midi areas, or is it just the easiest "go-to"? (:

You can use this the way you want, to be honest. It could be just to mark where you want the sections - Intro, Chorus, Verse, etc. Then if you tap and hold that clip/section, the loop markers will adjust to it, so you can record the other tracks for that part.
    That's what I do generally. But in a last project, I took a song I liked the structure, and marked instruments instead of sections...

In this case, I did the loop marker trick I mentioned. But in some clips, I recorded some midi information when I was done with the empty clip.

It inspired me to think about a way of recording. If I could stay clock synced with the original track maybe I could mark/arm sections of track two for recording that activates when the time-head passes over it, Then I could be ready with a DJ app (or another app that could benefit with time sync creatively) to try and scratch something in that part. Does Cubasis 3 allow for looped recordings/takes, or snap-in/out in this fashion?

Oh.. you can. It's funny that I haven't been using this. I generally just record a part and then chop what I don't need. Silly me :lol: This feature is called punch-in / punch-out even in old tape recorders. If you tap the BPM button, you can see the options. For that you would want at least the in part.

-I suppose I could just record scratching stuff next to the whole song and keep some of the successful parts if any.. I wonder what DJ app has the best scratching functions.

That I cannot be sure at all. I don't scratch (because I suck :lol:)

What I know I'll try is to launch Koala samples using Midi at certain parts of the song, for some reason I think that will make my day easier than just copy/pasting small parts linearly. do you reckon I should try it from piano-roll in Cubasis, or sync it with Drambo or another midi FX app?

This is a good idea. If you already have any other sequencer, you could try it with them. I never tried the midi part of Koala. Gonna give it a try here to see if we can work this out together. Cubasis' sequencer is weird sometimes, but if you can make a process simple and not need so many apps, it would be great to do it all inside it :wink: Cheers!

• edited June 2021

@MisplacedDevelopment This looper looks very handy! I was planning on starting and stopping loops in Loopy with a Hardware controller, and maybe to learn using Midi FX in Drambo as a sequencer, but if I was on guitar or bass I think this looper here looks very easy and efficient for making song structures. Awesome. It is time I learned Loopy tho, it's good for layering once the shortcuts are configured. Song structure might be difficult but I'll see. As far as structuring loops, like making house music, that looks very interesting also! Like do this part 10 times, than this part 4 times. Man maybe its to easy? ^^= I guess it could work like that

• edited June 2021

Alright, time to catch up, I managed to do step one,
    Well actually I put the original song through a DJ app to get the correct BPM first (I just use the app called DJay as it's not subscription hell). I use Koala with Cubasis piano roll to launch clips, later I can adjust those with lengths and easily manipulate them in Koala. The next step Is placing the original song next to it and fade in and out, and see what more I can do

• in this post I see you managed to record your notes
    glad it worked...
    expecting to everything work out fine from now on :wink:

• Here’s my vote for Garageband. Been doing a ton of app reviews but I still go back to Garageband.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2021

@_smund said:
    I want to set up to make remixes, to be able to maybe have the original track in one lane to keep time or as reference, and use an app to cut up selected parts of the song to go in loops, to make it become a house track for a period of the song to run that in track two, effects like this small remix effort i made of Skyy’s-Call me in the link.

https://youtube.com/shorts/xbMwHeCRGv8?feature=share

Also would be cool to add some drum machines and granular effects in certain parts. I imagine I could choose what part of the original song in track one I keep in and what part of the mix of track two i put in in the mixdown. I don’t know how to approach this really, what apps to use, could i clock sync it somehow? Could I load something like that up in cubasis maybe?
    How would you do it?

1. Download generic .mid files of the tracks.
    2. Assign instruments to said (edited) midi files
    3. ???
    4. Profit
  • First of all, Call Me was the s&#t!!!!!! But you might also want to try using Elliott Garage sEGments inside of Cubasis, it has easy chopping as well as time stretching, pitch, etc. It’s pretty much like Serato Sample for IPad
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/segments-by-elliott-garage/id1513990681

• @ehehehe said:

@seonnthaproducer said:
    Here’s my vote for Garageband. Been doing a ton of app reviews but I still go back to Garageband.

Why? I find everything takes twice the amount of clicks in GB across multiple screens.

Everything OP wants to do can be done there easily by chopping and a bit of crossfading if the beat is jittery.

That’s true. Crossfade is something I wish Garageband had without doing workarounds.

For me, I really like the ease of use, quickness in production to live loops, and how I’m able to use the Live Loops section in creative remixes.

• edited June 2021

Love you guys!
    I would totes try Garageband live loop window to launch clips but I would also like to have a ‘time marker’ run down the original un remixed song as I’m launching clips, to mark fade ins and outs in track two where i put my clips next to the original. It would be cool to jam with pads like GB’s, adjust lengths before I’d place them in track two, but i guess It’s not possible to have an original track run next to the pads?

I also like to be able to commit the clips without recording them all the time before the song is finished, so a linear possibility with midi maybe needed.
    I do need to be able to use a modular approach, looping sections of a song to insert a drum machine and synth,I reckon I’ll try that next.
    @Strizbiz
    ElliottsGarage segments sounds useful! Can I have a clip, pitch edit it (like a piano roll maybe?) and place it in the track from there? Sorry for asking so concretely about the functions of the extension (I should probably try it

• @_smund said:
    Love you guys!
    I would totes try Garageband live loop window to launch clips but I would also like to have a ‘time marker’ run down the original un remixed song as I’m launching clips, to mark fade ins and outs in track two where i put my clips next to the original. It would be cool to jam with pads like GB’s, adjust lengths before I’d place them in track two, but i guess It’s not possible to have an original track run next to the pads?

I also like to be able to commit the clips without recording them all the time before the song is finished, so a linear possibility with midi maybe needed.
    I do need to be able to use a modular approach, looping sections of a song to insert a drum machine and synth,I reckon I’ll try that next.
    @Strizbiz
    ElliottsGarage segments sounds useful! Can I have a clip, pitch edit it (like a piano roll maybe?) and place it in the track from there? Sorry for asking so concretely about the functions of the extension (I should probably try it

I suggest searching YouTube to be honest, me describing all its capabilities probably just wouldn’t do it justice. Also Beatmaker 3 has an amazing sampler when it comes to editing pitch, say if you really wanted to play a sample up and down the keyboard without having it speed up or slow down. If they ever released the sampler in BM3 as a separate stand alone/AUV3 app they’d clean up imo. It would be an instabuy for me

• edited June 2021

@Strizbiz
    Yea, how diden’t I think of youtube?(:
    I would’a looked into BM3 if i was not on de phone. Want to send a mail to them about the AUv3? I will look at BM3 and send a request as it sounds plenty useful