Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Launchpad X vs Pro for iOS Apps/DAWs?? Share your Experiences, Compatibility, Workflows, Etc

The Launchpad X is currently on sale until the end of the month, so I’ve got a few questions for those familiar with it, and the differences between the ‘X’ and the ‘Pro’ on iOS.

I understand that on desktop in its intended DAW, it’s probably incredible, but I’m looking for the perspective of a strictly iOS user.

Can anyone explain the use of it in Atom Piano Roll 2 other than ‘clip launching’ ?

Has anyone used it with Cubasis? If so how’s the integration? Pro’s & Cons?

Does the faders feature on the launchpad work natively in Cubasis via hui, mcu, or midi learn?

How’s it for playing ‘piano’, chords, scales etc?

What DAW or scenarios do you feel it’s best suited for?

And finally, at a difference of $150-$200, in your opinion, as an iOS only user, is it worth going Pro instead of X?

And please feel free to explain your personal experiences with it in general, your music genre, workflow, link relevant videos etc.

For those of us on the fence, or those who never thought to grab one, why should they give the Launchpad a look?

Comments

• edited June 2021

@ipadbeatmaking said:
    The Launchpad X is currently on sale until the end of the month, so I’ve got a few questions for those familiar with it, and the differences between the ‘X’ and the ‘Pro’ on iOS.

I understand that on desktop in its intended DAW, it’s probably incredible, but I’m looking for the perspective of a strictly iOS user.

Can anyone explain the use of it in Atom Piano Roll 2 other than ‘clip launching’ ?

I don’t have Atom2.

cc automation, playing solos, drum programming?

I’ve yet to get it working with Cubasis though using Cubasis with the LaunchControl XL is a breeze.

Does the faders feature on the launchpad work natively in Cubasis via hui, mcu, or midi learn?

Theoretically it should but I’ve yet to get it working properly.
    Tested just now.

Edit.

I’ve got it communicating with Cubasis but it’s not quite there.
    Cubasis puts it into ‘Session’ mode but the pads are not clear.
    I can add and delete 8 tracks.
    Loop on/off
    Select the first five tracks and then the 8th.
    Mute and solo channel is working.
    It needs to be in ‘Mackie’ mode not HUI.

Strange coming from playing more traditional instruments
    but it encourages one to play differently especially solos.

Playing chords are weird I must say.
    I ended up playing five and six note chords rather than the full ten note chords on a keyboard.

Definitely good for drum programming and clip launching.
    It’s good for any DAW or app that can midi learn combined with
    either Novation’s Components or MidiSynth Control.

And finally, at a difference of $150-$200, in your opinion, as an iOS only user, is it worth going Pro instead of X?

If you feel that you need 8 custom mappings and the stand-alone inbuilt sequencer then
    definitely go for the LP Pro version but if you don’t need that like myself then go for the X.
    I use MidiSynth Control to custom map on the fly and four custom mappings are sufficient.
    If you’re iOS only like myself MidiSynth Control is a necessity.
    Make sure you update the firmware first though.

And please feel free to explain your personal experiences with it in general, your music genre, workflow, link relevant videos etc.

I play almost all music genres so n/a really.
    Workflow?
    Smooth once I had made the mental adjustments coming from traditional instruments.

I’ve been using it to design performance pieces in Drambo and I have no complaints.
    This piece though it’s in another thread uses both the Launchpad X and the LaunchControl XL.
    On the LP X I’m playing chords for the arps, the root notes for the bass riff, triggering clips,
    mixing and programming my 16 step drum sequencer all in drambo on two ipads.
    I’m using the LC XL to mix and to adjust filters etc.
    The piece is long so pause and fast forward as you please.
    Much shorter pieces will be arriving soonish.
    One of my ipads had a very serious issue with it’s battery
    and I had to replace it today hence the delay,
    The battery had a slight gassing problem I was kinda concerned.

For those of us on the fence, or those who never thought to grab one, why should they give the Launchpad a look?

I would say get one, it provides a tactile experience
    when using idevices and they are simply fun to play with.

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

When using a Launchpad X or Pro with Atom 2, besides clip launching, you can also use the Launchpad in Notes mode to play lines into the active instance of Atom. So, in session mode, you can select the clip (instance of Atom) to be active, switch to notes mode on the launchpad and start playing the launchpad as a note source.

• I'm using the LP Pro with Ableton and with IOS. It's very cool. With IOS, I've mapped different instruments and faders using custom layouts. As a non-piano player, I'm loving the note and chord layouts. I've also used the sequencer and it's a lot like using Circuit Tracks but not limited to the two internal synths that Tracks has. And the Pro has velocity and aftertouch. If you can swing the extra bucks, I think LP Pro would be worth it.

• @ljholland said:
    I'm using the LP Pro with Ableton and with IOS. It's very cool. With IOS, I've mapped different instruments and faders using custom layouts. As a non-piano player, I'm loving the note and chord layouts. I've also used the sequencer and it's a lot like using Circuit Tracks but not limited to the two internal synths that Tracks has. And the Pro has velocity and aftertouch. If you can swing the extra bucks, I think LP Pro would be worth it.

LP X also has aftertouch and velocity.

• Thanks for the correction!

• edited June 2021

@espiegel123 said:

When using a Launchpad X or Pro with Atom 2, besides clip launching, you can also use the Launchpad in Notes mode to play lines into the active instance of Atom. So, in session mode, you can select the clip (instance of Atom) to be active, switch to notes mode on the launchpad and start playing the launchpad as a note source.

I've added 4 pages of faders to this (in session mode) for the pro. small part of a larger project i'm working on, thanks to your help and wim's help.

@ipadbeatmaking go with the pro if you can. I got mine for 50$ more than the X of novations refurb/sale page (also available on reverb). Scale choices are also greatly expanded on in the pro than the X and the sequencer is quite handy for drum programming. Don't use it much for melodic stuff.

• edited June 2021

deleted doublepost (yet again)

• @espiegel123 said:

@ljholland said:
    I'm using the LP Pro with Ableton and with IOS. It's very cool. With IOS, I've mapped different instruments and faders using custom layouts. As a non-piano player, I'm loving the note and chord layouts. I've also used the sequencer and it's a lot like using Circuit Tracks but not limited to the two internal synths that Tracks has. And the Pro has velocity and aftertouch. If you can swing the extra bucks, I think LP Pro would be worth it.

True. The little one does not.

Reviews said Pro had more expressive pads than X. That's all I needed to hear. I consider my Pro Mk iii more of an instrument than "controller" -- like a poor man's Linnstrument.

• I have the pro. I love it. but to be honest I still never use it with my iPad. It’s pretty much locked to Ableton on my Mac, lol. I think I need to change that.
    Also works pretty well with Logic Pro live loops.

• @ruggedsmooth said:
    I have the pro. I love it. but to be honest I still never use it with my iPad. It’s pretty much locked to Ableton on my Mac, lol. I think I need to change that.

Does the "print to clip" function of the standalone sequencer work in Logic Pro?

• @yug said:

@ruggedsmooth said:
    I have the pro. I love it. but to be honest I still never use it with my iPad. It’s pretty much locked to Ableton on my Mac, lol. I think I need to change that.

Does the "print to clip" function of the standalone sequencer work in Logic Pro?

Only works in Ableton

• With the notation pad devices, or a current gen device with pads, bear in mind it’s intended function and buy according to that need. I don’t want to be the regrets hardware guy, but in the quest for awesome sequencing, there were mis”calls”.
    1. The gen 1 circuit is great, sans dusty glitchy buttons. (MIDI out is off the charts under $200)
    2. LPX is the most expressive thang I’ve used under $200
    3. I sold my circuit for a CMS, the sequencer is TOPS, the knobs output MIDI. A clever person would not tell this kind of secret on a ( on sale ) $250 device, but WTF Novation—>CMSCVLT!
    4. Free desktop plugs that are deep.
    5. Spending a bunch of money on feature creep= SLM3 unless you can shake that image and stick to your budget squares.
    SIX. FUGGIN.KEYS. Here it is, there is an old timer interface that has lasted throughout time and space, will you actually submit to paying attention to these as opposed to swang’n ‘verb knobs? Only the times will tell.
    7. Your iThang has more guts than it’s given credit for, and if you’ve read this far, please acknowledge head to toe as GOTH

• @ruggedsmooth said:

@yug said:

@ruggedsmooth said:

Only works in Ableton

I thought so. Thanks for confirming

• I have a Pro Mk3. It is a wonderful and beautiful device, though I have not used it much with my iPad. It's main focus is Ableton. I've seen around here people have used it pretty creatively with Drambo, BM3 and Gr-16. Outside of those, I think it is mostly clip launching with Atom 2.

If you have a need for the 4 track, 32 step sequencer (hardware mostly, but can be useful as a step sequencer in AUM), then bite. Otherwise save some cash and get the X.

One thing to note though is that the X doesn't have a dedicated Play button. You of course can use a custom template but you have to change pages just to hit play. Or map some other function to it.

• I've always wondered, in note mode with a scale selected, does the launchpad move up in thirds with duplicated notes the same way Ableton Push does? This makes for easy chord shapes and more natural soloing, imo. Or does it just list 8 notes from an octave along each row with no duplication?

• @insight said:
    I've always wondered, in note mode with a scale selected, does the launchpad move up in thirds with duplicated notes the same way Ableton Push does? This makes for easy chord shapes and more natural soloing, imo. Or does it just list 8 notes from an octave along each row with no duplication?

You can select by how much it goes up.
    It's called octave overlap select.

• Oh wow, that’s awesome. Definitely going to get one knowing that.

• The built in sequencer on the pro Mk3 is really cool. I could definitely live without it though but if they increase the amount of tracks in a firmware update from 4 to 8 then I’ll use it a lot more I reckon. It makes me make different music to just using an iPad - different head space or something.

I’m not sure what else the pro has over the x but it’s seriously fun. The ability to arm tracks quickly makes it a great companion to atom 2 (and LK I believe) - not sure that the x can do this?

You can see an example of using this almost like a midi loopstation in my video here:

• @gregsmith said:
    The built in sequencer on the pro Mk3 is really cool. I could definitely live without it though but if they increase the amount of tracks in a firmware update from 4 to 8 then I’ll use it a lot more I reckon. It makes me make different music to just using an iPad - different head space or something.

Is the built in sequencer beneficial for an iPad producer or better for syncing external equipment?

I’m not sure what else the pro has over the x but it’s seriously fun. The ability to arm tracks quickly makes it a great companion to atom 2 (and LK I believe) - not sure that the x can do this?

You can see an example of using this almost like a midi loopstation in my video here:

Wow very fast and fluid! So what I’m I looking at exactly? Is this Different instances of Atom routed to the same sound kit being triggered, recorded, muted on the LPP? If so, would this same style of workflow work in Cubasis with Atom 2 across multiple instances etc?

And are you in a scales mode of some sort? How are the sounds laid out in that configuration?

• edited June 2021

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@gregsmith said:
    The built in sequencer on the pro Mk3 is really cool. I could definitely live without it though but if they increase the amount of tracks in a firmware update from 4 to 8 then I’ll use it a lot more I reckon. It makes me make different music to just using an iPad - different head space or something.

Is the built in sequencer beneficial for an iPad producer or better for syncing external equipment?

I used it to sequence AUM tracks and it works. @FloRi89 did a great video showing how it works here:

Wow very fast and fluid! So what I’m I looking at exactly? Is this Different instances of Atom routed to the same sound kit being triggered, recorded, muted on the LPP? If so, would this same style of workflow work in Cubasis with Atom 2 across multiple instances etc?

And are you in a scales mode of some sort? How are the sounds laid out in that configuration?

Yeah I’m using session mode on the LPP where each pad represents an atom instance. The integration is tight so you can trigger each instance to record, launch, stop etc.

You’re right, each instance is routed to a single instance of FAC Drumkit.

When one is triggered to record, I then switch to note mode. It’s basically just set to ‘no scale’ - lit blue pads are white keys, unlit are black keys.

FAC drum 1 is the first C then drum 2 is D, drum 3 is E etc.

You could record everything into one atom instance but that wouldn’t let you play around with it by launching/unlaunching the clips once they’re all recorded.

You can of course use loads of different instruments and rows of atom instances to do an entire song this way.

Hope I’m making sense!

• @gregsmith thanks for that breakdown! Great video by @FloRi89 really illustrates what’s possible in a few different scenarios.

Is this style of Atom triggering
    /recording/ etc possible in Cubasis?

• @Lil_Stu07 said:
    I have a Pro Mk3. It is a wonderful and beautiful device, though I have not used it much with my iPad. It's main focus is Ableton. I've seen around here people have used it pretty creatively with Drambo, BM3 and Gr-16. Outside of those, I think it is mostly clip launching with Atom 2.

If you have a need for the 4 track, 32 step sequencer (hardware mostly, but can be useful as a step sequencer in AUM), then bite. Otherwise save some cash and get the X.

One thing to note though is that the X doesn't have a dedicated Play button. You of course can use a custom template but you have to change pages just to hit play. Or map some other function to it.

That’s a crazy omission! These people have a nice cash grab going leaving out play buttons lol 😂

Do you feel like the LPP3 isn’t a good move for an iOS only producer?

• @ipadbeatmaking said:
    @gregsmith thanks for that breakdown! Great video by @FloRi89 really illustrates what’s possible in a few different scenarios.

Is this style of Atom triggering

I’m not sure it is actually. I know @blueveek worked with @j_liljedahl to make the integration this good in AUM. I could be wrong though.

• edited June 2021

@gregsmith said:

That’s seriously cool!

Pro tip: you can arm clips without switching between the Session and other views. For example, from within Note or Chord view, just press the “record arm button” to make the bottom rows red, then hit one of the (now red) track buttons on the bottom to arm/disarm. The currently playing, or bottomest clip, on that track, will toggle, in this priority.

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:
    I have a Pro Mk3. It is a wonderful and beautiful device, though I have not used it much with my iPad. It's main focus is Ableton. I've seen around here people have used it pretty creatively with Drambo, BM3 and Gr-16. Outside of those, I think it is mostly clip launching with Atom 2.

That’s a crazy omission! These people have a nice cash grab going leaving out play buttons lol 😂

Do you feel like the LPP3 isn’t a good move for an iOS only producer?

Lol right! I mean if you plan on getting any gear or moving into the desktop space, I feel the extra functions are overkill for iOS only. When I first got it I was mostly iOS and tried to make it work, but it's quite large. Larger than an MPD218. It's mostly a stationary device and I think the beauty with iOS is its portability. The sequencer is fun but all the routing needed in AUM is excessive. I really like it with hardware and Ableton. Custom templates are great if you have a programmers mindset. When I'm in the mood to make music, I just want to make it. Not route this to that and fiddle between screens and tabs. Buzz kill for me.

What I have been enjoying with iOS is the Launchkey Mini MK3. Takes a lot of the features from the LP series and sticks a nice 25 mini keyboard onto it. Light and portable. Easy to change channels, launch clips, play pads. Beautiful little device. Plus it has MIDI out. Works great with Koala, Cubasis, BM3, Groovebox etc. Great compliment to a LPX, mini, and/or Nanokontrol2 also. It has transport controls and velocity sensitive pads.

• @blueveek said:

@gregsmith said:

That’s seriously cool!

Pro tip: you can arm clips without switching between the Session and other views. For example, from within Note or Chord view, just press the “record arm button” to make the bottom rows red, then hit one of the (now red) track buttons on the bottom to arm/disarm. The currently playing, or bottomest clip, on that track, will toggle, in this priority.

Oh that’s a great tip! Thanks! I feel like I’m still just scratching the surface of the launchpad

• @blueveek Is this style of Atom triggering

• edited June 2021

@ipadbeatmaking said:
    @blueveek Is this style of Atom triggering

Yes, clips can be manually assigned to custom tracks and slots. The AUM integration is a nice to have, but doesn’t mean the feature is exclusive.

There’s a weird interaction with Cubasis’ loop markers, only when Cubasis’ beginning loop point starts at 0, which leads to some unexpected behavior. However, if you don’t use that, or if you loop starting from another beat, then it should be fine.

• @ljholland said:

Please tell me more about the faders scenario and the DAWs/apps you’ve used them in. How many can u run at once? Is this a viable control surface solution?

@espiegel123 said:

Thanks for that clarification!

So knowing that @espiegel123 & @ljholland would you say the X is sufficient or the Pro is worth the extra 150-200 investment?

• Launch Control and Nanokontrol2 are much better control surface solutions. You don't get very many readily accessible faders with the launchpads.