Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apogee Duet 3

13»

Comments

• @CapnWillie said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@CapnWillie said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@CapnWillie said:
    So I found a great deal ($750) for a 11” 512 M1.

Is there consensus on the best hub for pro audio? Does the magic keyboard add any value for music production purposes? Is there an interface that charges iPad and has USB ports to connect controllers?

Still considering an audient interface @ipadbeatmaking and @YZJustDatGuy I see it comes with software that allows you to record streaming or FaceTime calls which is pretty cool although a hardware mixer is better I’m sure. Still, a great feature to have for ultra portability considering they are bus powered.

As for the upgrade…it’s a pretty huge performance boost from 2017 pro for sure. I think it would be bananas if there was a Sensel Morph type controller that we could connect to iPad Pro magnetically like magic keyboard and pencil freeing up that lonely ass thunderport tho.lol. Just a thought.

I do not know of the software the lets you record streaming/Facetime thats bundled with Audient that works on iOS. There aren't too many interfaces that will power the iPad while connected.
    I had the Audient ID4 MK2 and EVO 8. I had the EVO 8 first but it had power issues where it would turn on and off for no reason and the headphone amp was eh. Sold it and got the ID4 and I just traded that in for the MOTU M4 cause it didn't have 4 inputs sadly but it sounded great.
    I've been using the Kingston Nucleum since 2018 and I have no complaints with it. Has USB C powerthru port and a USB C port for data, 2 USB A ports and SD + HDMI. Powers the iPad, interface, and two controllers like the launchpad mini and launch key 49 without issue. I have the magic keyboard and I love the way it floats the iPad in front of you but the port for power doesnt let in enough power to keep the iPad charged while using a bunch of gear, probably for heat concerns.

Thanks! 🙏🏽

I see I was mistaken about the id4 loop back software. It’s desktop only. Duh. I should have known. Still, I think I’ll grab an id4 to stay light and portable. Love the bus power and if the sound is on par with Apogee Duet I’m in. I ordered a hub earlier after trying to find which one the community spoke for but I see it’s still wild Wild West with the dongles. Not sure about that being part of the “make things simple” for iPad PROS but it is what it is…doing our part for the economy.lol.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0915B3NPY/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_VZQGDNR3QACJ4DA4N8M7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I’d prefer Anker or Kingston but neither specifically mentioned 2021 iPad compatibility so I went with the one above. Now that I know the nucleum is in fact compatible I’ll keep it in mind if the one I ordered isn’t copacetic. I wanted something with a jack for when I don’t have an interface with me.

Yea the ID4 MK2 has really good preamps and headphone amp, also nice and small. I still recommend it even tho I just got rid of it.

That hub looks good. I just worry about the headphone output being the only option when plugged in. I had a different hub by Hyper in 2018 and anytime it was plugged in the speaker would not work on the iPad. Also anything USB C will work on the iPad Pro models 2018 and up

So when the hub is in the speaker doesn’t work even if no headphones are plugged in? That’s terrible. However…in this case chances are I’d be using an interface.

Yea that’s exactly what happened. Could be different with the particular hub you got

• I use apogee duet 2/iOS version….it’s okay….
    next rip I’m going a different route

Either antelope audio, Rme, or UAD

• edited April 2022

@MrSmileZ said:
    I use apogee duet 2/iOS version….it’s okay….

Just go RME, they have things so dialed on the hardware and software front. The UAD stuff is ok too, but it always felt like they were just trying to sell me plug ins.

• @Sam23 said:

https://apogeedigital.com/blog/introducing-apogee-duet-3
    no iOS support ?

Duet 3 Highlights
    Best-in-class Apogee AD/DA conversion
    2 world-class preamps
    2×4 USB Type C audio interface
    Low profile design with aluminum body
    Scratch resistant top
    Precision balanced backlit knob
    Input and output connections via breakout cable:
    2x ¼” Instrument inputs
    2x Mic/line inputs
    2x ¼” Balanced outputs
    ⅛” Stereo headphone output
    On-board hardware DSP powers Symphony ECS Channel Strip* FX for low-latency recording with FX
    2 USB Type C ports for connection and external power as needed
    Bus powered
    macOS and Windows 10 compatible
    Optimized for Apple Logic Pro X and compatible with all popular audio software
    Add the Duet Dock* accessory for the ultimate desktop studio experience
    Stylish, padded travel case included
    *Symphony ECS Channel Strip plugin and Duet Dock sold separately

Available: July 2021

Duet 3 Price: $599

Symphony ECS Channel Strip Plugin Price: $49.50 (50% off $99 at point of purchase)

Duet Dock Price: $149

OVERPRICED

Audiofuse by arturia more bang for buck
    Though not cheap

• @hisdudeness said:

@Sam23 said:

https://apogeedigital.com/blog/introducing-apogee-duet-3
    no iOS support ?

Duet 3 Highlights
    Best-in-class Apogee AD/DA conversion
    2 world-class preamps
    2×4 USB Type C audio interface
    Low profile design with aluminum body
    Scratch resistant top
    Precision balanced backlit knob
    Input and output connections via breakout cable:
    2x ¼” Instrument inputs
    2x Mic/line inputs
    2x ¼” Balanced outputs
    ⅛” Stereo headphone output
    On-board hardware DSP powers Symphony ECS Channel Strip* FX for low-latency recording with FX
    2 USB Type C ports for connection and external power as needed
    Bus powered
    macOS and Windows 10 compatible
    Optimized for Apple Logic Pro X and compatible with all popular audio software
    Add the Duet Dock* accessory for the ultimate desktop studio experience
    Stylish, padded travel case included
    *Symphony ECS Channel Strip plugin and Duet Dock sold separately

Available: July 2021

Duet 3 Price: $599

Symphony ECS Channel Strip Plugin Price: $49.50 (50% off $99 at point of purchase)

Duet Dock Price: $149

OVERPRICED

Audiofuse by arturia more bang for buck
    Though not cheap

I am actually amazed at the price of that Audiofuse. $969 AUD 😂

• Now that Control 2 is out on i(Pad)OS, I wonder if they’ll roll out support for other devices like the Symphony Desktop and legacy devices like the Duet iOS? They seem happy to limit legacy support wherever possible, but seeing as Control 2 is the main control software on Mac and Windows, I’m optimistic it’ll happen eventually. Although maybe it’s still an Mfi issue and I’m holding onto false hope.

I quite like the Duet iOS but without USB-C support, if I decide to upgrade to a newer iPad, I also need to factor in the cost of a new interface.

• @CapnWillie said:

@jrjulius said:
    Now that Control 2 is out on i(Pad)OS, I wonder if they’ll roll out support for other devices like the Symphony Desktop and legacy devices like the Duet iOS? They seem happy to limit legacy support wherever possible, but seeing as Control 2 is the main control software on Mac and Windows, I’m optimistic it’ll happen eventually. Although maybe it’s still an Mfi issue and I’m holding onto false hope.

I quite like the Duet iOS but without USB-C support, if I decide to upgrade to a newer iPad, I also need to factor in the cost of a new interface.

Duet and One work fine with new iPads via hub. I’ve had no issues whatsoever.

Are you able to get Duet 2/One 48v phantom power working on the usb-c iPad?

I’m taking a look at your recommendation on the Centrance, Is your Mixerface the one with usb-c or micro usb? Also, what’s your thoughts on the single channel mic interface they make?

@jrjulius the symphony desktop has access to all its features on the unit itself via its touchscreen, including 6 plugins, so I don’t think an iOS software for it is imminent.

• @CapnWillie thanks for the info I’ll definitely check it out!

• edited April 2022

@oat_phipps said:
    Looks nice, but I’ve gone the Apogee route before and the “world-class quality” is not something I can vouch for. I’ve had Presonus
    @jrjulius said:
    Now that Control 2 is out on i(Pad)OS, I wonder if they’ll roll out support for other devices like the Symphony Desktop and legacy devices like the Duet iOS? They seem happy to limit legacy support wherever possible, but seeing as Control 2 is the main control software on Mac and Windows, I’m optimistic it’ll happen eventually. Although maybe it’s still an Mfi issue and I’m holding onto false hope.

Well the good thing about the Symphony Desktop is you can literally do everything thing from the touch screen on it, unlike the Duet 2 for IPad , which you definitely need to use Maestro to control things on the Duet like changing from instrument to mic input and turning on phantom power. The down side for the Symphony Desktop and the Duet 3 is they don’t charge your IPad when using them like the Duet 2 for IPad and you can’t plug a midi controller in them like you can with the Duet 2 for IPad.

I would love for the Control 2 app to work with my Duet 2 like it does with the Control 2 desktop app but it’s just not gonna happen.

• @Tarekith said:

@MrSmileZ said:
    I use apogee duet 2/iOS version….it’s okay….

Just go RME, they have things so dialed on the hardware and software front. The UAD stuff is ok too, but it always felt like they were just trying to sell me plug ins.

Definitely dig Rme latency round trip figures more

• ❤️

• iOS software for the Duet3

• @Sam23 said:

❤️

Nice setup!!! I like the Lewitt mic too, they make good stuff

• Hello all, I have a question about Duet 3 DSP.
    Is it possible to use DSP for apogee plugins inside DAW tracks?

• @Zeng said:
    Hello all, I have a question about Duet 3 DSP.

It should be. But it’ll basically be like using a hardware chain, so the effects you use will be baked in permanently, if u apply them while recording. There is no ‘auv3’ that apogee makes in order to be able to change the settings later like u can on desktop

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

@Zeng said:

It should be. But it’ll basically be like using a hardware chain, so the effects you use will be baked in permanently, if u apply them while recording. There is no ‘auv3’ that apogee makes in order to be able to change the settings later like u can on desktop

Well what about midi tracks? I want to apply an Apogee plugin to a midi track in Cubase and what plugin to use Duet's DSP. Is that possible? I couldn't find how...

• @Zeng said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@Zeng said:

Well what about midi tracks? I want to apply an Apogee plugin to a midi track in Cubase and what plugin to use Duet's DSP. Is that possible? I couldn't find how...

As I understand it, the DSP is only available on the analog inputs so you would need to set up an analog loopback. Here is the article for the previous Duet, although you would probably want to route your MIDI track to output 3+4 so that you can still monitor everything else normally: https://knowledgebase.apogeedigital.com/hc/en-us/articles/360046462693-How-do-I-record-audio-from-the-internet-or-other-app-using-my-Duet-

• edited September 2022

@jrjulius said:

@Zeng said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@Zeng said:

As I understand it, the DSP is only available on the analog inputs so you would need to set up an analog loopback. Here is the article for the previous Duet, although you would probably want to route your MIDI track to output 3+4 so that you can still monitor everything else normally: https://knowledgebase.apogeedigital.com/hc/en-us/articles/360046462693-How-do-I-record-audio-from-the-internet-or-other-app-using-my-Duet-

Thanks for the info jrjulius.