Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• Hi
    I would be looking for someone to play this round (and maybe more if fun)
    So if you're interested, PM me or leave a message

• Is anybody using a chat app? like Cryptocat or such? That could be a handy way of communicating.

• edited May 2014

Im in. If no one has pm'd u mtyas ill collab with u.

@wmwm, no i dont have those apps. I used to use palringo back in the day.

• @nic_b_nice with pleasure, I've PM'd you
    We could work using skype or hangouts and work more or less in realtime (and maybe play with latency, delay and low bit reduction and auto random glitching)
    Thinking about that, a big hangout meeting with a load of ios music junkheads could be quite fun to organize

• That sounds intriguing. Looking foreword to hear what you gies come up with.

• edited May 2014

Looking for a member to work with for this months challenge. Pm if interested.

Edit: Now filled, but would accept one more.

• edited May 2014

@mtyas said:

Thinking about that, a big hangout meeting with a load of ios music junkheads could be quite fun to organize

That would be fun to take part in! I would attend.

There seems to be a big hole not addressed yet, a collaboration app. @funjunkie27 brought it up a while ago in a app request thread, I had pointed him to wikiloops.com which is a blast but is not quite the same. Real time jam session is problematic at this stage in technology but turn based and passing the file back and forth or down a chain to multiple people from with in an app (quasi real time ), possibly sitting in the output slot of AB streaming to the input slot of others would be great. Cooperative multi-tracking, Imagine the possibilities.

Someone had brought up GarageBand jam session to me but that only works when physically near the participants.

If nobody knows about such an app, I'd like to hear it.

• I'm up for some collaborating with someone :)

• I can imagine quite a few ways for fun (and useful) collaboration tools.
    I could imagine something like caustic, that could synchronize banks, and have some kind of real time pattern sequencer sync. Only sending small realtime data (midi) instead of streaming audio could make it quite fast.
    (I heard about a realtime collaborative groove sequencer for android, it's called GrooveCloud, and is still in beta for the moment)
    For realtime jamming, the only way I could imagine, is by having a fixed latency, like 4 measures, that way everything would be in time, and could be set back to the right time after the recording.

Maybe a better / further integration with the cloud services (Dropbox and others) could be useful for now : better sharing of projects, assets, presets, setups (midi routing) - including automatic version history.

Otherwise, I find iOS dev's are working well in looking into different collaboration schemes.
    Either in "real life" with Bluetooth (thumbjam is the first I can think of, but there are more and more now)
    Or by sharing full projects like Korg's cloud or Tabletop
    (Actually tabletop is quite good for sharing projects / collaboration)
    And of course audiobus 2 with the shared preset function (especially with state save)

There have been some nice projects for realtime collaboration on computer since quite a few years now, and quite a few browser based apps have appeared too, but they are much too RAM hungry for iDevice usage

I'm sure we're going to have more and more tools for collaboration work, but I know that realtime audio streaming, from one side of the world to the other, with a playable latency (<12ms) will not exist in my lifetime

• <12ms, not in anybody's lifetime. Best case, 12000 miles of fiber so only speed of light involved, is 60ms. But reality requires repeaters, so up that to a good 100 - 150. Cross town however has promise, if the routing can be constrained to local only. I live just W of Seattle. Microsoft is just E. This is the route I get:

• edited May 2014

@mtyas midi, real time pattern sequencer sync...great idea. You bring up some good points.

I was thinking of something I used in its infancy called NINJAM one of the developers is a Justin Frankel who created REAPER, and is a very helpful guy. Last I heard, he is not pursuing ios development (hope that changes), an app that performs in the manner of NINJAM with the input/output of audiobus may work.

@dwarman what, no hop at Huston? ;) is it possible to constrain to a local network? I know, "google it" and I shall.

@ArcaneScreams are you still thinking of participating?

@Digitalresonance great to have ya aboard.

• Just a small note with the link to http://groovecloud.co/cms/ GrooveCloud

I would love to see someone do something like this on iOS.
    I like to imagine that kind of feature in a load of apps I use daily, it could be really fun (Korg's gadget suddenly springs to mind, it's all small midi data anyway)

And if people don't know google drive (used to be google apps) is a fantastic way to collaborate on office like documents in realtime. It's free and great fun to use.

• That groovecloud looks awesome, thanks for the link. Time to dust off the Nexus.

Ive actually used google docs a lot in the past. Never thought to use it for music ideas, tabs and notation.

• @WMWM Yeah, I'll participate.

@Digitalresonance Have you found anyone to play with yet? This is me on soundcloud. https://soundcloud.com/screamsofthearcane Do you have any music posted so I can take a listen?

• edited May 2014

Yeah I got a website that shows some stuff I made in iOS.. I make soundpacks for beatmaker 2 and do a bit of sound design. I even make presets for iOS synths.

http://www.digitalresonance.co.uk/

Here's a track I made a while back too. I only had the vocal to work with so all the music is mine. It's the first track in the list. Urbanfunk
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/all-the-love-single/id325319053

• edited May 2014

Nice site, bought one of your presets, good stuff

• @WMWM Peanutcram and I are working together. Feels like a good match.

• Great! Looking forward to hear the result.

• I still need someone to team up with.. Anyone else still needing a partner.

@WMWM Glad you like the sounds :)

• @Digitalresonance, have you found someone to work with this month?

• Yes I'm working with peanutcram and arcane screams.

• edited May 2014

Good news @Digitalresonance, a valuable asset to any team.

Updated the related sticky post, please have a look.

• edited May 2014

Thanks, your welcome