Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

VS - Visual Synthesizer by Imaginando Lda

Comments

• @sinosoidal said:

@xor said:

@sinosoidal said:

@xor said:
    @sinosoidal

multi-input would be useful to enable track-specific audio modulations (and triggers).

The documentation mentions multiple visual voices enabling up to four materials per layer. There’s nothing in the documentation that describes how to add additional materials to a layer though and I haven’t been able to empirically derive it either.

Voices - number of simultaneous polyphonic visual voices. Ex: With 4 polyphonic voices, each layer can display 4 simultaneous materials at once

What does the up/down arrow at the bottom-left of the materials browser supposed to do?

What are the up/down buttons at the top-right supposed to do? I just caused VS to hang by triple-or-quadruple tapping on the down button. (Not reproducible)

Ah, those buttons aren’t part of the material browser, I really couldn’t tell.

Oh, I’m on an iPad on 14.6 in AUM.

Start with the default patch. Connect your keyboard input to VS. Set layer TRIGGER MODE to MIDI. Ensure that TRIGGER channel is set to the same channel as the keyboard input. Press more than one key at the same time. You will observe polyphony.

Oh, I knew that. I thought it meant I could add multiple materials to the same layer, not multiple instances of the same material. D’oh.

If you want multiple materials, set a new material to another layer! :blush:

Yes, I know. I just misunderstood what the manual meant by “each layer can display 4 different simultaneous materials.” To me that reads as four different materials in a layer not four instances of the layer’s specified material.

• As I mentioned to the devs, if this supported Giphy browse/import it would be awesome.

• @mojozart said:
    As I mentioned to the devs, if this supported Giphy browse/import it would be awesome.

I don’t want to end up playing along to Simpsons gifs, come on now! Cause that’s where it would end up

• @sinosoidal said:

@Pxlhg said:
    I really like the visuals and all the options you have for creative input but without a real powerful iPad (M1) it's not much you can do. I have just a Beathawk piano and Klevgrand Pipa playing the same notes, via LK, and 5 layers of visuals in VS and the framerate is 10fps = choppy. I'm on an AIR3 which I think should be able to handle that with at least 20-30fps. So, I guess it have to wait for me saving up to a M1 :D Also curious about plans to be able to render to video, if there are any?
    Cheers!

Even the M1, has not the performance I was expecting. But it is much more faster.

Try to lower the qualiy setting (Menu -> Settings) until you meet the FPS. By default it starts in medium. You might need to lower it to low.

This will always depende on the polyphony being played and mostly, the material being used. There are materials heavier than others.

I don't have VS yet, but I will eventually :)

You say that the M1 doesn't have the performance you expected. Is this VS one of those new universal apps that works on iPadOS AND macOS? If so, how does VS perform on the M1 desktop machines like the mini M1?

• I like this concept and will probably buy it eventually. It needs an output function other than screen recording to be useful though.

• Anyone know how to MIDI ‘unlearn’ in VS?
    I manage to assign MIDI to functions using MIDI learn, but once parameters are mapped I have no idea how to ‘unassign’ them.

• @janpieter said:
    Anyone know how to MIDI ‘unlearn’ in VS?
    I manage to assign MIDI to functions using MIDI learn, but once parameters are mapped I have no idea how to ‘unassign’ them.

Enable midi mode and double tap the control. It should clear the mapping.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    I like this concept and will probably buy it eventually. It needs an output function other than screen recording to be useful though.

We are working on it.

• Visual Synth is another iOS synth I own actually by Secret Base Design looks like it’s been discontinued now. Did anyone else own it ?

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Visual Synth is another iOS synth I own actually by Secret Base Design looks like it’s been discontinued now. Did anyone else own it ?

Yup.

I have it and it’s still available on the App store.
    One can set marker points on a video and the video will
    play back from those marker points when triggered by midi.
    @seonnthaproducer did a youtube video using it not so long ago.

The developer released it for free sometime ago.
    The developer also said something about developing it further if there was enough interest.
    I could be wrong.

It still has potential but the interest from other users wasn’t there I presume.

• edited June 2021

@sinosoidal said:

@janpieter said:

@sinosoidal said:

@janpieter said:

Thank you! But I’m not sure what you mean by MIDI mode:

I was controlling a background layer parameter with MIDI (which works fine!) but there’s no MIDI trigger mode there, and simply double tapping amounts to nothing.
    If I try this with a regular layer (setting trigger to MIDI and double tapping a MIDI learned parameter there) it doesn’t seem to work. (the MIDI signal keeps triggering the parameter).
    In the MIDI settings menu it says ‘no input devices’ (I am using VS in AUM iOS 14.6 Air 2021).

I hope I am missing something obvious. :)

Edit: I was. Your advice seems to work fine now. (I didn’t realize you meant the MIDI learn mode). Sorry!

furthermore: really liking your app..

• edited June 2021

@janpieter said:

@sinosoidal said:

In the MIDI settings menu it says ‘no input devices’ (I am using VS in AUM iOS 14.6 Air 2021).

I have the same thing here in regards to ‘no input devices’ in Drambo and AUM.
    I mentioned it earlier.

Also is there support for external audio interfaces with multiple inputs?

• Could you make another app. Which are templates of apps. You work out the travel of an lfo and the rates of every lfo to bpm. Na. Most lfo arnt even bpm and when they are they click.

Could of made it easier for screen tweakers to use ipad but just connect an iphone to a tv. If the app tweaking could recieve across devices.

• That would be kind of cool. Ghosting of app parameters ADSR etc but visual app designed and shape to be used with general parameters of most synths.

• edited June 2021

• Just get to grips with VS combined with Beatcutter. Would have love this in th 70’s back in art college. Blow them all away!

• @janpieter said:

@sinosoidal said:

@janpieter said:
    I

Holy crap. This is cool AF!!!! More please!!!

• @sinosoidal Needs a dedicated output recorder on ios and syphon, sprout, ndi on desktop to be really useful.

• This app is a hoot. Be dandy to get audio out from background video for modulation.

• @Gravitas said:

@janpieter said:

@sinosoidal said:

I have the same thing here in regards to ‘no input devices’ in Drambo and AUM.
    I mentioned it earlier.

Also is there support for external audio interfaces with multiple inputs?

Not yet. Right now we assume there is a stereo input but it should be possible to add.

• @tpj said:
    @sinosoidal Needs a dedicated output recorder on ios and syphon, sprout, ndi on desktop to be really useful.

Syphon and NDI I have already heard about. Sprout never. can you point me some resources?

This will be available. It is just a matter of time.

• @Toastedghost said:
    Just get to grips with VS combined with Beatcutter. Would have love this in th 70’s back in art college. Blow them all away!

Awesome. When you are not in fullscreen what is the FPS count? It seems a bit draggy. If it is below 30 FPS, try to change the quality settings to a lower setting until the FPS is met.

• edited June 2021

First, I'd like HDMI out so I can use with a projector, live stream, or external recorder.

Second, I'd like the ability to render to a file.

Third, and this is just a wish, I'd like support for shaders, e.g., ISF or GLSL format. (How cool would it be to create my own layer in code?)

https://isf.video/

• edited June 2021

@mojozart said:
    First, I'd like HDMI out so I can use with a projector, live stream, or external recorder.

Those are the top two requests and we are working on them! :wink:

• @mojozart said:

Third, and this is just a wish, I'd like support for shaders, e.g., ISF or GLSL format. (How cool would it be to create my own layer in code?)

https://isf.video/

@sinosoidal You are a star and I know you are working hard in the background on the first 2 requests, but I also believe that @mojozart is right it would be incredible if we were able to incorparate our own shaders. I used to use kmachine and liked the ability to incorparate new shaders but its seqeuncer is very clunky.

• edited June 2021

@sinosoidal said:

@Toastedghost said:
    Just get to grips with VS combined with Beatcutter. Would have love this in th 70’s back in art college. Blow them all away!

Awesome. When you are not in fullscreen what is the FPS count? It seems a bit draggy. If it is below 30 FPS, try to change the quality settings to a lower setting until the FPS is met.

Thanks, I have an ipad Air playing Beatcutter, Blackhole and a Riffer.
    Yes changed to lowest quality and 30 FPS is met at the original settings it was down to 14 FPS. At the higher FPS the animation will obviously drag less and be less jumpy. However what is the downside of reducing the quality? Does that effect the overall sharpness of the video? I presume the sound quality is unaffected either way?

• @janpieter said:

@sinosoidal said:

@janpieter said:

@sinosoidal said:

@janpieter said:

I was controlling a background layer parameter with MIDI (which works fine!) but there’s no MIDI trigger mode there, and simply double tapping amounts to nothing.
    If I try this with a regular layer (setting trigger to MIDI and double tapping a MIDI learned parameter there) it doesn’t seem to work. (the MIDI signal keeps triggering the parameter).

Edit: I was. Your advice seems to work fine now. (I didn’t realize you meant the MIDI learn mode). Sorry!

Is the face a background video taken from something else?

• @Toastedghost said:

@sinosoidal said:

@Toastedghost said:

Thanks, I have an ipad Air playing Beatcutter, Blackhole and a Riffer.
    Yes changed to lowest quality and 30 FPS is met at the original settings it was down to 14 FPS. At the higher FPS the animation will obviously drag less and be less jumpy. However what is the downside of reducing the quality? Does that effect the overall sharpness of the video? I presume the sound quality is unaffected either way?

Yes, it will only affect the sharpness of the graphics. Might become a bit blurry and pixelated depending on the material.

• @NimboStratus said:

@janpieter said:

@sinosoidal said:

@janpieter said:

@sinosoidal said:

@janpieter said:

Is the face a background video taken from something else?

Yes. It's a video from pexels loaded as a background layer. The startposition is controlled by MIDI CC from FAC Envolver following the audio (the scrubbing effect). The video made in VS was then edited in glitché to get the 'lines'.

• How do we delete presets?