Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

VS - Visual Synthesizer by Imaginando Lda

Comments

• @Bhoga said:
    Not sure if this is the right place to post, so sorry in advance.

Downloaded v1.4.0 demo version on Windows 10.

I can’t get LFOs or Envs or Audio gate/spectrum to do anything (see image). What am I missing? Do I need to turn on a setting somewhere?

Check your audio settings. For some reason the audio engine is not working

• just about to start using VS for a video for my new track, "no peace".

When I clicked record within VS, and then finished recording, it saved the video file to a folder (and I can play the video), but I can't add this to Photos / Videos album on the Ipad - it doesn't have "save to album" as an option on share. If I try and open the movie file in Imovie on IOS it states that it's not in a compatible format.

I'm sure it's obvious (!) but what am I doing wrong ? thanks

My workaround would be to recapture the video using the IOS screen recorded, but I'd prefer a cleaner route.

• spoke with the developer, they couldn't reproduce on their build. I tried it on the latest Ipad OS, and also on my Iphone. Cannot import to imovie. So giving up on that route and will stick the video out to a PC and edit it on that, and I'm not going to pay for another IOS video editor that requires a sub.

• I have some perplexing issues:

• I can't add photos or videos to the background layer on my ipad (iOS 15.4). I double-tap the B button and instantly get the file browser, but Photos are not on the left sidebar. I can navigate to "On my iPad" and see a "Photo" folder there (with the standard apple logo), but it is empty and only contains an empty folder called "Linked files". Anyone else? Opening my Photos album, I definitely see both images and videos there.
      Btw, in a long @Gavinski tutorial, tapping the B opens a menu with "Files" and "Photos", with the comment that Photos can now also be accessed. But I don't get that menu.

• In the same long video it is mentioned that Perplex-On background videos (used in factory presets) can be loaded for desktop users, but not yet for iOS users. No update on this?

• The Perplex-On factory presets do not let you clone the layer materials for further inspection of code. I guess this is the intended behaviour?

• If you purchase the Perplex-On iap (Retina refill), it looks like you also get new materials. Is that correct? Are you able to clone these, see the shader code and modify it?

• edited October 2022

@bleep said:
    I have some perplexing issues:

• I can't add photos or videos to the background layer on my ipad (iOS 15.4). I double-tap the B button and instantly get the file browser, but Photos are not on the left sidebar. I can navigate to "On my iPad" and see a "Photo" folder there (with the standard apple logo), but it is empty and only contains an empty folder called "Linked files". Anyone else? Opening my Photos album, I definitely see both images and videos there.
      Btw, in a long @Gavinski tutorial, tapping the B opens a menu with "Files" and "Photos", with the comment that Photos can now also be accessed. But I don't get that menu.

Try long pressing the B button. That will open a menu where you'll be able to select which folder to open.

• In the same long video it is mentioned that Perplex-On background videos (used in factory presets) can be loaded for desktop users, but not yet for iOS users. No update on this?

When long pressing B button you'll have an option called "Resources". Here you'll be able to load video/images from perplex on

• The Perplex-On factory presets do not let you clone the layer materials for further inspection of code. I guess this is the intended behaviour?

You're suppose to be able to clone all the available materials. What version of VS are you using. What does it happens when you try to clone a material?

• If you purchase the Perplex-On iap (Retina refill), it looks like you also get new materials. Is that correct? Are you able to clone these, see the shader code and modify it?

Yes, you'll have access to new materials (33) and you can clone them and see/modify the shader code

• edited October 2022

I thought it was supposed to be double-tap and I thought I had tried long tap ... apparently not! Yep, that sorts it out, thanks! All is available now.

You're suppose to be able to clone all the available materials.

I can clone all (global) materials that show up when I double-tap a layer. I guess I must rephrase my question; if I open a patch from the top menu, is there any way to see which material each layer is using? Seems like I only get the global all materials, with no indication which material is used by the layer I just double-tapped.

If we take a Perplex On factory patch like "Alien drips", does it use any material or is it just a video? I don't find any global material that resembles what I see, so I can't clone and investigate any code.

• @bleep said:
    I thought it was supposed to be double-tap and I thought I had tried long tap ... apparently not! Yep, that sorts it out, thanks! All is available now.

You're suppose to be able to clone all the available materials.

I can clone all (global) materials that show up when I double-tap a layer. I guess I must rephrase my question; if I open a patch from the top menu, is there any way to see which material each layer is using? Seems like I only get the global all materials, with no indication which material is used by the layer I just double-tapped.

If we take a Perplex On factory patch like "Alien drips", does it use any material or is it just a video? I don't find any global material that resembles what I see, so I can't clone and investigate any code.

If a material isn't easily noticeable in the layer buttons (remember that you can always select the "animated layer thumbnails" in settings if that helps you), you can always see which layers are enabled and double tap them. When you do that you just need to scroll through the materials browser until you see a material with a yellowish outline. That would be the material being used on that particular layer.

In the Alien drips patch, using this method, we can see that layer 1 has the "plain color" material, layer 2 has the "smoke" material and layer 3 has also the "plain color" one. Remember that perplex on uses a lot of blend modes in layers, so a specific material may appear completely different in a specific patch. You can use the layer solo button to easily see the material

• Thanks, I see how to navigate now. Makes sense. Your app is great!

• Worth mentioning that the Retina pack is now on sale (in case you are not following the sales thread).

• Hello. Help me answer the question. I plan to connect a second portable monitor to the iPad pro 2021. I want to use VS in AUM. Will the VS image be on the second monitor in full screen mode? Apple HDMI adapter. Thanks.

• You can do this in standalone mode not auv3

@solncekreeze said:
    Hello. Help me answer the question. I plan to connect a second portable monitor to the iPad pro 2021. I want to use VS in AUM. Will the VS image be on the second monitor in full screen mode? Apple HDMI adapter. Thanks.

• @foxal said:
    You can do this in standalone mode not auv3

@solncekreeze said:
    Hello. Help me answer the question. I plan to connect a second portable monitor to the iPad pro 2021. I want to use VS in AUM. Will the VS image be on the second monitor in full screen mode? Apple HDMI adapter. Thanks.

Thanks. I did it wrong. Connected over the network via AUM.

• @sinosoidal I was just trying to do an ambient piece using midi triggers but I couldn’t get the release to be close to the 30 seconds I’d like. If there’s a workaround using project tempo then I wouldn’t be able to use it due to other audio Rx tied to a fast tempo. I’m fine using automation for now. Cheers.

• I bought the retina refill pack on IOS based on the official video (linked within the app). It promised 60 materials/presets including some ones that I was very keen to use within my new video.

However it seems the iOS version is cut down, to 33 presets - didn’t see any warning or comments on their YT advert for this.

I feel short changed and unless I’ve made a school boy error, mis-sold - the presets I wanted aren’t in this pack.

Add to that the app still doesn’t allow me to save videos directly to my camera roll on my version 3 iPad 12.9 (latest IOS)

So I’ve emailed support.

• @matdun25848834 said:
    I bought the retina refill pack on IOS based on the official video (linked within the app). It promised 60 materials/presets including some ones that I was very keen to use within my new video.

However it seems the iOS version is cut down, to 33 presets - didn’t see any warning or comments on their YT advert for this.

I feel short changed and unless I’ve made a school boy error, mis-sold - the presets I wanted aren’t in this pack.

Add to that the app still doesn’t allow me to save videos directly to my camera roll on my version 3 iPad 12.9 (latest IOS)

So I’ve emailed support.

I’ve just checked, and I have about 68 presets in the Retina Refill pack on my iPad. Maybe try restoring purchases?

• edited April 2023

@bygjohn said:

@matdun25848834 said:
    I bought the retina refill pack on IOS based on the official video (linked within the app). It promised 60 materials/presets including some ones that I was very keen to use within my new video.

So I’ve emailed support.

I’ve just checked, and I have about 68 presets in the Retina Refill pack on my iPad. Maybe try restoring purchases?

Me too…that’s really mad. I reinstalled it too
    Downloadseite is 459 kb
    Wrote them…waiting for answer.

• edited April 2023

Yes, tried a reinstall and a restore purchased. Still the 33, and further up in this thread I think someone (xglax) referred to having access to 33 not 60. Bit of a mad glitch I think

• The > @bygjohn said:

@matdun25848834 said:

So I’ve emailed support.

@matdun25848834 said:
    Yes, tried a reinstall and a restore purchased. Still the 33, and further up in this thread I think someone (xglax) referred to having access to 33 not 60. Bit of a mad glitch I think

Hi there. The Retina Refill Preset pack has 37 materials and 68 presets. I have just checked. :blush:

• I have 69 Retina preset/patches and 33 Retina materials on both Mac and iPad. I counted 3 times.

• @HeavyWater said:
    I have 69 Retina preset/patches and 33 Retina materials on both Mac and iPad. I counted 3 times.

Now you’ve got me recounting! Yes, 33 materials and 69 presets.

So @matdun25848834 you may possibly be counting materials and not presets.

• Yes, my bad and thanks all for clarifying.

thinking of materials instead of presets, although there is quite a lot of duplication with the presets to get to 69. E.g theres some which have an audio and midi patch with the same name.

I’m guessing that those presets (including into the woods), because they are midi, they don’t react to an audio track - which is what I’m putting into VS ? Looking at the original pack, they didn’t specify midi or audio.. so “blinds” won’t react to an audio track just midi ?

Support have emailed back so I’ll go back to them. Thanks again.

• @HeavyWater said:
    I have 69 Retina preset/patches and 33 Retina materials on both Mac and iPad. I counted 3 times.

There are 37 material source files. We need to investigate what is going on.

• How do you get video import to not upload rotated?

First time video editing.

Why isnt there a Koala style app for music host. Where video can be faded and sequenced. Like imovie but sequenced via note. Would viewing video in koala size boxes be lame. Single press the video a bit bigger. Double press the video state save size.

Would motion be lame.

Is ipad not good enough for muliti video stems?

• I’m just now diving into this hit I can’t get user upload for videos to work. It lets me access them via files but when I click them it never shows up in VS. anyone been having issues?

• @sinosoidal I can’t import files with .aiff extension into VS on iPad, but I thought I saw a change list that addressed this. Was that just for Desktop maybe?

• @sinosoidal said:

@HeavyWater said:

Can you tell me why I can't upload custom videos? What should be the format? I've tried a lot but nothing works. Neither on the iphone nor on the iPad.

• @solncekreeze said:

@sinosoidal said:

@HeavyWater said:

Can you tell me why I can't upload custom videos? What should be the format? I've tried a lot but nothing works. Neither on the iphone nor on the iPad.

I’m fairly certain you can only load videos in the background layer. You can load custom shaders in the other layers, but I’ve not tried that yet.

• @bygjohn said:

@solncekreeze said:

@sinosoidal said:

@HeavyWater said:

I’m fairly certain you can only load videos in the background layer. You can load custom shaders in the other layers, but I’ve not tried that yet.

Thanks for the advice. But that's not quite it. I figured out the Background. But it is user materials that I am interested in. Is it possible to add there. With patches, too, everything is clear. But why can't I upload it to the library? Here's the question.

• Hi, I've scrolled a bit through this thread but didnt find my answer:
    If I run an instance of AUv3 VS in Loopy Pro what are the routing possibilities of Colour Groups to VS channels for a live performance?
    And would I be able to project this output to an external monitor or projector directly from my iPad?
    Thanks all from Imaginando for the good work!

• @solncekreeze said:

@bygjohn said:

@solncekreeze said:

@sinosoidal said:

@HeavyWater said:

Thanks for the advice. But that's not quite it. I figured out the Background. But it is user materials that I am interested in. Is it possible to add there. With patches, too, everything is clear. But why can't I upload it to the library? Here's the question.

Watch this to learn how to import new materials.

Materials are not simple video, they are dynamic objects programmed with code, hence why they can react to music and midi.