Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

VS - Visual Synthesizer by Imaginando Lda

Comments

• @sinosoidal said:

@NimboStratus said:
    So is there a way/process to save and import code from Shadertoy etc?

Yes, sure! But it will not work by simply copying/pasting without manual adjustments. I want to do a video tutorial on the topic after the release.

AMAZING! 😍

• At some point I think it would be helpful to have a thread dedicated to VS materials import and creation.

• @sinosoidal I have a question about uuid in imported .frag files. I’ve created some .frag files with a text editor, generated a uuid for each, and imported them into VS. Is this method okay?

• @sinosoidal it would be useful to be able to specify min and max values in addition to the default value for parameter variables for materials. The knobs which control the parameters in VS would then be scaled appropriately.

• @Paulinko said:
    @sinosoidal I have a question about uuid in imported .frag files. I’ve created some .frag files with a text editor, generated a uuid for each, and imported them into VS. Is this method okay?

Yes. I use https://www.uuidgenerator.net/ to generate uuids

• @Paulinko said:
    @sinosoidal it would be useful to be able to specify min and max values in addition to the default value for parameter variables for materials. The knobs which control the parameters in VS would then be scaled appropriately.

That is already implemented but are not using it yet on our templates.

You can try to set a min and max value to each parameter. It should work. Please try and let me know.

• @sinosoidal said:

@Paulinko said:
    @sinosoidal it would be useful to be able to specify min and max values in addition to the default value for parameter variables for materials. The knobs which control the parameters in VS would then be scaled appropriately.

You can try to set a min and max value to each parameter. It should work. Please try and let me know.

I tried having a parameter set to:

"parameters": [
        {
            "name": "zoom",
            "type": "float",
            "default": 16.0,
            "min": 8.0,
            "max": 32.0
        }
    ],

There were no error messages in the editor but the material didn’t render correctly.

I set the parameter to:

{
            "default": 16.0
        }
    ],

The material rendered correctly. The knob was covered by a solid yellow circle. When I selected the knob, it had values from 0.000 to 1.000 and the rendering was messed up as the parameter reverted to what was on the knob. I had to reset the material parameter to get the default value back so the material rendered correctly.

• @sinosoidal said:

@Paulinko said:
    @sinosoidal I have a question about uuid in imported .frag files. I’ve created some .frag files with a text editor, generated a uuid for each, and imported them into VS. Is this method okay?

Yes. I use https://www.uuidgenerator.net/ to generate uuids

I’m using the same site and using the Version 4 UUID Generator.

• @Paulinko said:

@sinosoidal said:

@Paulinko said:

{
        }

],

There were no error messages in the editor but the material didn’t render correctly.

I set the parameter to:

{
        }

],

The material rendered correctly. The knob was covered by a solid yellow circle. When I selected the knob, it had values from 0.000 to 1.000 and the rendering was messed up as the parameter reverted to what was on the knob. I had to reset the material parameter to get the default value back so the material rendered correctly.

It is working with me:

Can you send me the file that is causing you troubles?

• edited February 2022

@sinosoidal said:

@Paulinko said:

@sinosoidal said:

@Paulinko said:

{
        }
    ],

I set the parameter to:

{
        }
    ],

It is working with me:

Here’s are zips of a boxes.frag without min and max plus a boxes02.frag file that demonstrates the problem:

It looks like this:

When I remove the min and max lines from the code it looks like this:

• @Paulinko said:

@sinosoidal said:

@Paulinko said:

@sinosoidal said:

@Paulinko said:

{
        }

],

I set the parameter to:

{
        }

],

It is working with me:

Here’s are zips of a boxes.frag without min and max plus a boxes02.frag file that demonstrates the problem:

It looks like this:

I will finally take a look at this today.

Have you been working on the iPad or Desktop to work on these?

We have uploaded a new build yesterday.

in general, what was your experience with the editor? My biggest question at this point is if we should make the editor available in iPad or not. On iPhone I think it is pretty useless because there is no useful space.

On iPad we have found it a little difficult to interact with. Not impossible but a bit painful. Even with a keyboard and a mouse, things can become a little difficult due to some bugs on the underlying platform we use, namely the mouse scroll wheel not working and keyboard arrow keys not being able to navigate lines vertically.

What are you thoughts? Thanks! :blush:

• @sinosoidal Please keep the editor available in iPad. I finally had a chance to start using it and it's awesome for easily making materials.

• @sinosoidal said:

@Paulinko said:

@sinosoidal said:

@Paulinko said:

@sinosoidal said:

@Paulinko said:

{
        }
    ],

I set the parameter to:

{
        }
    ],

It is working with me:

It looks like this:

in general, what was your experience with the editor? My biggest question at this point is if we should make the editor available in iPad or not. On iPhone I think it is pretty useless because there is no useful space.

On iPad we have found it a little difficult to interact with. Not impossible but a bit painful. Even with a keyboard and a mouse, things can become a little difficult due to some bugs on the underlying platform we use, namely the mouse scroll wheel not working and keyboard arrow keys not being able to navigate lines vertically.

I’ve been using an iPad to work on. I use a text editor app Textastic to edit the frag files on the iPad. I would keep the VS iPad editor because the debugging can be very useful in getting a frag to work. Perhaps this might also be a reason to keep it on an iPhone too?

• @auxmux said:
    @sinosoidal Please keep the editor available in iPad. I finally had a chance to start using it and it's awesome for easily making materials.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

• @Paulinko said:

@sinosoidal said:

@Paulinko said:

@sinosoidal said:

@Paulinko said:

@sinosoidal said:

@Paulinko said:

{
        }

],

I set the parameter to:

{
        }

],

It is working with me:

It looks like this:

I’ve been using an iPad to work on. I use a text editor app Textastic to edit the frag files on the iPad. I would keep the VS iPad editor because the debugging can be very useful in getting a frag to work. Perhaps this might also be a reason to keep it on an iPhone too?

The text editing right now is not the best experience on iOS but it will eventually get better along the road. Altough, I don't think it has enough screen space on a iPhone to make it useful.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

• edited March 2022

Today we have updated VS to version 1.3.0 with the following changes:

• Material import/export
    • Material editor
    • General bug fixes and improvements

We have also updated the documention with important information about material editing:

https://www.imaginando.pt/products/vs-visual-synthesizer/help/layer-manager

• Bravo. The shader support is super. The documentation is clearly written.

• Awesome update!

• @mojozart said:
    Bravo. The shader support is super. The documentation is clearly written.

@auxmux said:
    Awesome update!

Thanks for your feedback! :blush:

• I hope there will be a section on patch storage.com where we can share our frag files.

• @sinosoidal said:

• Material import/export
    • Material editor

We have also updated the documention with important information about material editing:

Awesome! And I saw the desktop version has been updated to 1.3 as well.

I might have to teach myself how to code this stuff. (If nothing else, I do look forward to being able to download materials that others have made/shared)

• @Paulinko said:
    I hope there will be a section on patch storage.com where we can share our frag files.

Agreed, that would be dope.

• @Paulinko said:
    I hope there will be a section on patch storage.com where we can share our frag files.

I don't know how is it handled. Is it community driven initiative, or is it usually started/opened by the devs?

• @Edward_Alexander said:

@sinosoidal said:

• Material import/export
    • Material editor

I might have to teach myself how to code this stuff. (If nothing else, I do look forward to being able to download materials that others have made/shared)

I have made a video tutorial on how to port two simple shaders to VS. I will post here later today. :blush:

• edited March 2022

@auxmux said:

@Paulinko said:

I have just opened a new request. Now it is time for you to vote! :blush:

https://patchstorage.com/requests/vs-visual-synthesizer/

• @sinosoidal said:

@auxmux said:

@Paulinko said:

Thank you for the update with the materials editor and for getting the patch storage.com going too.

• @sinosoidal said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@sinosoidal said:

• Material import/export
    • Material editor

I have made a video tutorial on how to port two simple shaders to VS. I will post here later today. :blush:

@sinosoidal said:

@auxmux said:

@Paulinko said:

Nice! Looking forward to that video for sure!

I’m assuming we “vote” on the Patch storage thing by liking the post? I posted a comment (by my old username Intrepolicious)

• @Edward_Alexander said:

@sinosoidal said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@sinosoidal said:

• Material import/export
    • Material editor

@sinosoidal said:

@auxmux said:

@Paulinko said:

Nice! Looking forward to that video for sure!

I’m assuming we “vote” on the Patch storage thing by liking the post? I posted a comment (by my old username Intrepolicious)

• @sinsoidal The video was very helpful.

• @Paulinko said:
    @sinsoidal The video was very helpful.

Thank you! I hope you haven't fall asleep while seeing it :blush: