Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

VS - Visual Synthesizer by Imaginando Lda

Comments

• @sinosoidal said:
    We have bad news... we will not be able to integrate Giphy inside VS. We requested a production api key and this was the answer:

Thanks for your interest in using our API. Per our terms of service, we require users of our API to call our API each time a GIF is served or requested and do no permit caching or downloading of our content. We also do not permit users of our API to manipulate our GIFs in any manner to create a derivative work. This includes, but is not limited to, adding filters, cropping, altering the aspect ratio, changing the duration, and placing text or other media on top of an existing GIF.

Oh no!

I’ve been busy as hell this week and am just now seeing this… 😭

@Toastedghost said:

@sinosoidal said:
    We have bad news... we will not be able to integrate Giphy inside VS. We requested a production api key and this was the answer:

Thanks for your interest in using our API. Per our terms of service, we require users of our API to call our API each time a GIF is served or requested and do no permit caching or downloading of our content. We also do not permit users of our API to manipulate our GIFs in any manner to create a derivative work. This includes, but is not limited to, adding filters, cropping, altering the aspect ratio, changing the duration, and placing text or other media on top of an existing GIF.

Ouch! Am sure a few folks will be disapointed in that response. Were Giphy original contacted when you began the beta?
    There must be another simular service out there? Is there any anything to be gain by changing a video for a gif apart from storage space?

Ouch is right!

Well sh$%t 😭😤

• That’s ok, we don’t need no stinking GIPHY! We can make our own GIFs!

• @Edward_Alexander said:
    That’s ok, we don’t need no stinking GIPHY! We can make our own GIFs!

The media providing system is built. In the future, we can easily add providers that don't have such rigid usage terms.

• Yeah that’s a bummer about Giphy but oh well, it was stifling my creativity. I’ll make my own clips

• Can I bring my own song into VS? Seems kind of obvious but I can't find anything about t in the manual or by scouring the app.

• @Ailerom said:
    Can I bring my own song into VS? Seems kind of obvious but I can't find anything about t in the manual or by scouring the app.

That is not possible yet. You will need to feed it via audio input in some way.

• @sinosoidal said:

@Ailerom said:
    Can I bring my own song into VS? Seems kind of obvious but I can't find anything about t in the manual or by scouring the app.

That is not possible yet. You will need to feed it via audio input in some way.

:#

• @Ailerom I've been getting good results using the midi from the music I want to use into Drambo and just triggering each layer by midi channel. Even just doing the drums and bass gets you pretty far

• @Fingolfinzz said:
    @Ailerom I've been getting good results using the midi from the music I want to use into Drambo and just triggering each layer by midi channel. Even just doing the drums and bass gets you pretty far

Yep, ok, that sounds like an option. The songs I want to work on are a few years old now so just a bit of a pain to get them off backup and export midi. Especially when I have the audio file sitting right here.

• wimwim
    edited July 2021

@Ailerom said:

@Fingolfinzz said:
    @Ailerom I've been getting good results using the midi from the music I want to use into Drambo and just triggering each layer by midi channel. Even just doing the drums and bass gets you pretty far

Yep, ok, that sounds like an option. The songs I want to work on are a few years old now so just a bit of a pain to get them off backup and export midi. Especially when I have the audio file sitting right here.

AUM file player into VS AUv3 version. Not full-screen, but it works.

• @sinosoidal said:

I don't see these restrictions in their API Terms of Service:

https://support.giphy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360028134111-GIPHY-API-Terms-of-Service-

• @wim said:

@Ailerom said:

@Fingolfinzz said:

AUM file player into VS AUv3 version. Not full-screen, but it works.

Thanks. I hope audio import will make its way into the feature list but till then there are options. Cheers.

• edited July 2021

@sinosoidal Thank you guys for sharing yet another one of my videos!

You and the the whole Imaginando team are awesome!

I guess that particular video with the car GIF will go down in history as being a rare one; created within the short period of time where GIPHY was integrated in the BETA. Maybe it’ll be worth some money one day! Hahaha 🤣

• Hey @sinosoidal I have a question, for some reason, while I’m working on a new project (using latest VS beta) the presets are being triggered by something (I don’t know what) and switching. How do I stop this?

Seems like it’s doing it on a beat, but I can’t see where I have anything tied to that.

Hey @sinosoidal I have a question, for some reason, while I’m working on a new project (using latest VS beta) the presets are being triggered by something (I don’t know what) and switching. How do I stop this?

Seems like it’s doing it on a beat, but I can’t see where I have anything tied to that.

Do you have program change messages being sent to VS?

• @sinosoidal said:

@Edward_Alexander said:
    Hey @sinosoidal I have a question, for some reason, while I’m working on a new project (using latest VS beta) the presets are being triggered by something (I don’t know what) and switching. How do I stop this?

I don’t think so?

This particular setup is:

VS in standalone

Drambo stand-alone

And that’s it. In Drambo, I do have several instances of Atom 2, which do have pattern changes hmmm

@sinosoidal said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

I don’t think so?

VS in standalone

Drambo stand-alone

And that’s it. In Drambo, I do have several instances of Atom 2, which do have pattern changes hmmm

Stick a MIDI monitor on whatever MIDI stream is being sent to VS.

To confirm that it is the result of something sending MIDI to VS, turn VS's MIDI input off.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@sinosoidal said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

I don’t think so?

VS in standalone

Drambo stand-alone

To confirm that it is the result of something sending MIDI to VS, turn VS's MIDI input off.

I figured it out; I had two different MIDI out modules on different tracks competing for the same MIDI channel. (2) So I decided to try giving everything it's own MIDI channel starting at 4 and up, and that fixed it.

@espiegel123 said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@sinosoidal said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

I don’t think so?

VS in standalone

Drambo stand-alone

I figured it out; I had two different MIDI out modules on different tracks competing for the same MIDI channel. (2) So I decided to try giving everything it's own MIDI channel starting at 4 and up, and that fixed it.

Glad to hear! :blush:

• Yesterday we have released VS 1.1.0:

• New engine architecture to support render to file
    • Added built-in recording system (video only for now)
    • Quality setting replaced by explicit output resolution setting
    • Seizure warning at startup
    • General bug fixes and optimizations

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1560330289

• @sinosoidal said:
    Yesterday we have released VS 1.1.0:

Hi Nuno, I sat up a project with Gadget and VS standalone. In Gadget I dedicated 5 Taipei for output midi to 4 different channels to use with VS. All worked great albeit despite having the M1 i don't get more than 15fps using four(4) animations in VS. Now, I recorded the video and planned to put the sound in afterwards. The video I stopped at 02:20.

When I imported all to Luma Fusion I discovered that the video was only 01:37. It had cut but red indicator in VS let me stop, as I say at 02:20. Framerate is sat to 30 and quality full. Please check if you get something similar recording a bit longer clips. I'm on 14.7.1 and iPad Pro 11 M1

• @Pxlhg I’m not sure about the video recording length thing, but I would think you should get much better performance and frame rate with the M1.

Guess I should actually look at the FPS counter next time I have a session loaded up.

@Pxlhg I’m not sure about the video recording length thing, but I would think you should get much better performance and frame rate with the M1.

Guess I should actually look at the FPS counter next time I have a session loaded up.

There are not many apps yet that cant take full advantage of all RAM whatnot available in the M1, if I understood things right it's kind of a premature release and it will take time before we can really enjoy the super machine it (supposedly) is.

• @Pxlhg said:

@Edward_Alexander said:
    @Pxlhg I’m not sure about the video recording length thing, but I would think you should get much better performance and frame rate with the M1.

There are not many apps yet that cant take full advantage of all RAM whatnot available in the M1, if I understood things right it's kind of a premature release and it will take time before we can really enjoy the super machine it (supposedly) is.

Yeah, I’ve read the same. Hopefully some of these devs will update accordingly.

• @Pxlhg said:

@sinosoidal said:

Hi Nuno, I sat up a project with Gadget and VS standalone. In Gadget I dedicated 5 Taipei for output midi to 4 different channels to use with VS. All worked great albeit despite having the M1 i don't get more than 15fps using four(4) animations in VS. Now, I recorded the video and planned to put the sound in afterwards. The video I stopped at 02:20.

When I imported all to Luma Fusion I discovered that the video was only 01:37. It had cut but red indicator in VS let me stop, as I say at 02:20. Framerate is sat to 30 and quality full. Please check if you get something similar recording a bit longer clips. I'm on 14.7.1 and iPad Pro 11 M1

The problem here is the frame rate. When the recording is started we need to tell the encoder the video frame rate. At this point we say that the frame rate is the one selected under settings. However, if the scene is having an hard time being painted, it will be below 30 or 60.

The consequence is obvious, the encoder will not be fed with the necessary frame rate. If we record a video that has a 1 min length at 30 frames, it needs to be fed with 30 frames in a second, otherwise it will have a different length when played.

Right now, you should try to balance what you have in screen with the quality settings. There are some materials that are more expensive than others. And some of those material parameters can make them lighter or even more expensive.

M1 is a powerful machine CPU wise, but GPU is not there yet. We have an M1 Mac Mini here in the office. In terms of GPU I find it very similar to my laptop Intel Iris Plus Graphics.

I'm sure there will be possible workarounds and solutions. We need time and more feedback to find them.

• edited July 2021

@sinosoidal said:

@Pxlhg said:

@sinosoidal said:

The problem here is the frame rate. When the recording is started we need to tell the encoder the video frame rate. At this point we say that the frame rate is the one selected under settings. However, if the scene is having an hard time being painted, it will be below 30 or 60.

The consequence is obvious, the encoder will not be fed with the necessary frame rate. If we record a video that has a 1 min length at 30 frames, it needs to be fed with 30 frames in a second, otherwise it will have a different length when played.

Right now, you should try to balance what you have in screen with the quality settings. There are some materials that are more expensive than others. And some of those material parameters can make them lighter or even more expensive.

M1 is a powerful machine CPU wise, but GPU is not there yet. We have an M1 Mac Mini here in the office. In terms of GPU I find it very similar to my laptop Intel Iris Plus Graphics.

I'm sure there will be possible workarounds and solutions. We need time and more feedback to find them.

Okay, good to know. Guess I'll follow Ed's suggestion and do a screen recording. I did, for the fun of it raise the fps to 60 and the video got even shorter :D as expected per your explanation. Hope you find some good optimizations and improvements. :D

• @sinosoidal

Slight problem with the B Layer.
    When using Position with Mode ,'STILL ', VS stops cycling through
    the footage when position reaches 0.
    If Position is at 0.5 then I can still cycle through the footage.
    When it stops working I have to toggle the Loop/Stills button to reset it.

• edited August 2021

@sinosoidal Also, noticed an issue in desktop version in Ableton. Layers are not responding to different midi channels, only channel 1 is being received by all layers. Standalone is working correctly.

• @auxmux said:
    @sinosoidal Also, noticed an issue in desktop version in Ableton. Layers are not responding to different midi channels, only channel 1 is being received by all layers. Standalone is working correctly.

I'm pretty sure you are doing it wrong. I've just tested and it is working alright. Have you seen our Ableton Live tutorial?

• @Gravitas said:
    @sinosoidal

Slight problem with the B Layer.
    When using Position with Mode ,'STILL ', VS stops cycling through
    the footage when position reaches 0.
    If Position is at 0.5 then I can still cycle through the footage.
    When it stops working I have to toggle the Loop/Stills button to reset it.

We need to investigate. Thanks for reporting.