Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

IOS 14.6 Saturated/Distorted Sound

edited June 2021 in Support and Feedback

Hy 4 all
I noticed that with update to ios 14.6 all the apps I use have saturated and distorted sound, I thought it was the sample rate but changing it does not solve anything.
use from blocs wave to gadget to model 15 with audiobus aum loopy but still same distortion / saturation damn,
especially if I several samples or loops together

I have an iphone 8 and all the updated apps I don't know what to fish,for as long as I was 14.5 everything was ok.

has anyone noticed this problem and solved it or is it an apple problem? or a problem of my poor set up?

Comments

• What buffer size are you using?
    (I've got an iPhone 8 running 14.6 with no issues, buffer is mostly set at 256 in AUM and stand-alone apps).

• @Kmatic said:
    Hy 4 all
    I noticed that with update to ios 14.6 all the apps I use have saturated and distorted sound, I thought it was the sample rate but changing it does not solve anything.
    use from blocs wave to gadget to model 15 with audiobus aum loopy but still same distortion / saturation damn,

I have an iphone 8 and all the updated apps I don't know what to fish,for as long as I was 14.5 everything was ok.

has anyone noticed this problem and solved it or is it an apple problem? or a problem of my poor set up?

Does it sound anything like this?

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/45365/help-me-diagnose-the-problem-weird-ipad-noise#latest

• @Samu said:
    What buffer size are you using?
    (I've got an iPhone 8 running 14.6 with no issues, buffer is mostly set at 256 in AUM and stand-alone apps).

I've always set all apps to 256

• @JoyceRoadStudios said:

@Kmatic said:
    Hy 4 all

Does it sound anything like this?

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/45365/help-me-diagnose-the-problem-weird-ipad-noise#latest

No if I use a single sound everything is ok, for example on blocs wave if I use only one loop or two no problem but if I start running 6/7 the saturation starts….

• try different USB cables. Seems to help...

• @nerVe said:
    try different USB cables. Seems to help...

I don't use usb cables, I do everything with my dirty hands on the screen ... another thing I noticed is some momentary burns on the screen, for example, the audiobus toolbar remains impresse... I turn it off for 10 min and turn it back on and disappear ...

• ahh...ok. Which iPad are you using?

• @nerVe said:
    ahh...ok. Which iPad are you using?

I use a humble iphone 8 64Gb… of which I now free 26Gb… I make it work a lot👷🏻‍♂️👷🏻‍♂️👷🏻‍♂️

• Same here on a 2020 pro, 14.6 brought crackles and distorted sound. Sort of appears and disappears, was unbearable for a while, haven’t heard it lately…

• @tahiche said:
    Same here on a 2020 pro, 14.6 brought crackles and distorted sound. Sort of appears and disappears, was unbearable for a while, haven’t heard it lately…

truly unbearable destroys all creativity
    from me it persists, especially if I pump several apps together
    i don't know how to fix i hope for a new ios update

• @Kmatic said:

@tahiche said:
    Same here on a 2020 pro, 14.6 brought crackles and distorted sound. Sort of appears and disappears, was unbearable for a while, haven’t heard it lately…

truly unbearable destroys all creativity
    from me it persists, especially if I pump several apps together
    i don't know how to fix i hope for a new ios update

You can roll back the iOS to the previous… oh, no wait… thanks Apple.

• edited June 2021

Just playing an imbedded Youtube video on the Audiobus forum - occasionally it distorts and crackles.
    Happens on my 2015 iPhone. Strange thing is that it doesn't happen on my 2017 and 2018 iPads!
    All iDevices on 14.6.
    The only thing I do differently on the iPads is disable Siri, Notifications, Backup App Refresh, Mail Fetching, automatic updates...None of my iPads have cellular.
    Anyone else try this?

• edited June 2021

@ocelot said:
    Just playing an imbedded Youtube video on the Audiobus forum - occasionally it distorts and crackles.
    Happens on my 2015 iPhone. Strange thing is that it doesn't happen on my 2017 and 2018 iPads!
    All iDevices on 14.6.
    The only thing I do differently on the iPads is disable Siri, Notifications, Backup App Refresh, Mail Fetching, automatic updates...None of my iPads have cellular.
    Anyone else try this?

No problem with YouTube
    deactivated most of the app described, unfortunately I am a poor fellow and I have an iphone with sim
    the only device without sim I have is an iphone4s which is no longer even needed for the math times tables apps😂😂😂😂

• @ocelot said:
    All iDevices on 14.6.
    Anyone else try this?

It's a known feature of iOS's new compulsory crackle function - it affects various devices in totally unpredictable ways. For instance, Mini 5 - apparently no crackles for most people. Air 4 and newer Pros - welcome to crackleland. 🤷

Based on forum discussions, it seems the new function was introduced in iOS 14.5 and silently carried over to 14.6 to trick into upgrading those who thought they were smart and skipped 14.5. 👌

• Air4 iOS 14.6 here. Not had the same level of crackling since upgrading from 14.5.x but the core audio is still screwed.

Mine generally manifests after I've disconnected my iPad from the audio interface and am using the iPad on it's own. Core Audio will crash completely; the transport in AUM/NS2/CB3/Audioshare stops and won't restart. If I restart AUM the play button is red and I get the error message that Core Audio isn't running.

The core audio issues on modern iPads is really wrecking the previously good creative experience.

I have sent off bug reports to Apple and hopefully everyone else is doing likewise?

FWIW It's a waste of time speaking to them on the chat as their only suggestion is to format the device and start again. Which (unsurprisingly) didn't fix the problem. So I've just been sending email reports instead (to https://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html)

• Turn Off Bluetooth

• A quick search of the forum will let you know that is an Apple problem but it's quaint that some members offer such well-meaning yet off-the-mark advice.

• iPad OS 15 beta solved this for me

• @ervin said:

Based on forum discussions, it seems the new function was introduced in iOS 14.5 and silently carried over to 14.6 to trick into upgrading those who thought they were smart and skipped 14.5. 👌

We ARE smart, but Apple is smarter.