Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Midi CC’s with push, Faderfox EC4 <—SOLVED

edited June 2021 in App Tips and Tricks

Got a Fox in the mail today. Hooks up just fine and runs on iPhone bus power. There is something I can’t get my head around with mapping it. If I am to use the knobs Push function as CC’s, they have to send them with the same CC as when turning them, only offset by 8 midi channels.
So if I send midi CC 1 turning knob 1 on channel 1, pushing the same knob should give me CC1 on Channel 9.
Is there a way around this hot mess, what can I do In AUM or Preferably Audiobus if I’d like to
-Use the push function on the same app as when I’mturning the knob(them being 8 channels apart)??
-Lets say I have an instance of Loopy I record Animoog with in audiobus. If I use channel 1 for Animoog with faderfox, maybe I could use channel 9 with Loopy to stop and start things while inside animoog? Idk
Do you have a tip for how I should think about this channel offset?
Huge thanks and hope you have a nice summer guys. Lets have an Audiobusforum festival

Comments

• If you use MIDI learn in Audiobus, or in an app, the channel is also learned, so the push is just another CC that you can learn an action for. Being the same CC # is not a problem, because it's a different MIDI channel.

If you do need to tidy them up (maybe map to different CCs, on the knob channel), it's pretty easy to set that up in StreamByter. Then you can use an app's predefined mapping, which may require everything on one channel.

• AH, I see. I knew something was up. When I set the push function to activate/deactivate the snare channel, the parameter that the twist controls (decay of bass drum in 909 Audiokit) jump from 0 to 127. I don't know why. When I use Midi learn in the 909 it shows it is mapped to the same cc0, so in this case, it appears it doesn't matter if the CC is on another midi channel :(
    Can I circumvent this problem if I mapped through Audiobus instead?

• edited June 2021

@_smund First of all, please post a list of midi messages that the EC4 sends when you turn a knob left and right slowly, then a short and fast right turn.
    The EC4 has incremental encoders so they make most sense when using with incremental MIDI CC messages.
    Unfortunately, only few iOS apps support them (Drambo does and it would be a good test).

The EC4 should also have an "absolute CC" mode that would work with any app that receives CC.

• heyy.
    Yes, err.
    I thought I was more stuck than I was, The problem was that currently the Midi CC's of push have to come from another channel +8 and for some reason, the app I was using was conflating them, even if from different channels. I mailed Mathias from Faderfox anyway and he said they are fixing being able to change what midi cc the Push function is, coming in the next update. I changed the nice EC4 box to send midi notes at push and re mapped all the knobs for 'pattern change' and 'activating drum sounds' in the 909 to be next to each other. AB3 and AUM recognize Midi notes so It's fine. Glad I got it fixed, I think 909 Audiokit pro is not able to get cc's from different channels at the same time :)
    I love that app. Cheers mates and the faderfox EC4 is a recommend.
    I'm planning on using drambo when I'm without controllers. I got a pretty sweet config with a dongle I believe will work to send audio and reccive Camera connection kit, if it works I can use the Korg Nanokontroll + EC4 without too much hassle.
    Looking forward to the learnage. Thanks mate