Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AWESOME - The mi.1 Bluetooth MIDI Interface for iOS devices, just $35

There is an IndiGoGo project that was launched the other day by QUICCO SOUND for a sweet little device called the mi.1. A very compact wireless MIDI interface that will allow you to connect your MIDI device to your iOS devics via Bluetooth, and it's only $35 (even cheaper if your grab a bundle). I think this is something tons of us have wished for and would love to have, and it looks like an amazing little product. Huge things in tiny packages. Check it out.

The IndiGoGo page is here https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mi-1-wireless-midi-interface-connecting-digital-piano-and-ios-device

Comments

• edited May 2014

I thought iOS didn't allow recording apps to use bluetooth? This would be playback only, in that case. Or was the restriction purely bluetooth audio?

• edited May 2014

@PaulB this should work in the same manner as Apollo Bluetooth MIDI, only rather than another mobile device or computer sending/receiving the signal, it's the mi.1 hardware.

It will show up as just another pair of Core MIDI ports (most likely via an app).

• The trad midi connector will make sense to many I'm sure but I expect whoever brings a usb midi bluetooth LE dongle will shift many more of them as the demand will be huuuuge.

• @supadom What would be the benefit of having it be USB rather than the MIDI connectors?

• Because most of midi controllers these days are usb midi. Now it did occur to me that they wouldn't have a way of being powered unless plugged into the wall socket. Myself, like most of computer/ios musicians don't have hardware with old midi connections (just an educated guess).

• edited May 2014

Dbl post

• @thinds said:

I'm pretty sure LE dongles are readily available from ASUS and quite a few other manufactures. Retail around $25-30 in Aus.

Edit: not midi of course. Whoops!

• edited May 2014

Hmm... dunno @supadom, maybe some, but I wouldn't say most. I don't think I have a single piece of MIDI capable gear that doesn't have traditional MIDI connectors, and that includes newer stuff and controllers etc., like Maschine Studio is barely a year old and it has MIDI IN/out1/out2/out3 connections. But I do see what you mean... there are a good amount of slim and portable controllers that have done away with them and gone strictly USB. Either way, like you mentioned, power for the unit would then be an issue if the USB slot was taken by the MIDI kit, and that would kill the point for a lot of folks who would be looking to have wireless MIDI on a USB only device.

Ultimately I think this is an awesome product that is aimed right at people who have existing MIDI hardware such as hardware synths, digital pianos, etc.... being able to control them wirelessly from your iOS device (or Mac in the future)... like using arpeggio gnome to play your Prophet 12 WIRELESSLY while you're crowd surfing.

And with the secondary function being able to reverse that and use MIDI hardware to control apps, so I could say dust off the old DX-7 and use it as a wireless keyboard to play the Thor app, or use the Elektron Analog Four's awesome sequencer to trigger events in any of the countless MIDI enabled iOS (&OSX) apps. And I think that since they will be opening up to developers, very interesting things will happen with this, and who knows, maybe with the success of these, they will be able to hear any cries for a USB version and be able to heed that call.

Anywhichway, this is an awesome little thing that cuts a lot of middleman crap right out of the setup in many cases.

• Yep, agreed. Bluetooth 4 seems to be the answer to Ipad's shit connectivity but also it would be neat not having medusa's hair dangling off your device.

I see we're coming from exact opposite sides of the spectrum. I'm more for portability, smallness etc. Both have their reason. I probably didn't explain myself well
    It's true that many controllers have traditional midi connectors, what I meant is that most of your casual ios musicians don't use them.

Sorry, writing on my phone.

• ...casually.

• Always

• @OmnilimbO said:

I think this is something tons of us have wished for and would love to have, and it looks like an amazing little product. Huge things in tiny packages. Check it out.

Put my order in. Can't wait!!

• Looks very cool! I wonder if it supports sysex?

• @busker said:

@PaulB this should work in the same manner as Apollo Bluetooth MIDI, only rather than another mobile device or computer sending/receiving the signal, it's the mi.1 hardware.

It will show up as just another pair of Core MIDI ports (most likely via an app).

Apollo Bluetooth MIDI is pretty cool. I use it on my Iphone with an Akai Synthstation25 as a wireless MIDI keyboard controller for my Ipad apps. The beauty of it is that it frees up the CCK USB connection for my other controller (Quneo) so that I can use them both without having to have use a USB hub and a bunch of cables.

• Is there anything known about latency? That is a make or break for me....

• Check out the videos. Seems pretty fast, and since it is just MIDI going over BTLE, it should be very zippy.

• BTLE MIDI latency (to my best measurement abilities) lands in the 25-30ms range. iOS 7 is much better than iOS 6. With BTLE, there are a few things that the operating system can tweak to impact performance, and Apple clearly changed some things for iOS 7.

I expect the mi.1 to have the same sort of latency -- it's a nice looking design, and from everything I've seen, the developers seem to be on the ball. The hack with pulling power from the output MIDI port is nice (it has some limitations, but it really is a clever hack).

I'm talking with the other folks involved in the 'base right now, and we might try to work with Quicco to enable compatibility with Apollo, so that it'll connect to OSX as well (and, if I drink enough coffee this spring, Windows and Linux).

• That sounds awesome. Thanks for bringing us along for the ride.

• Any news on this... Exactly what we are looking for. Has anyone seen a recent post for an upcoming production release?

• edited August 2014

posted on their indiegogo:

Makoto Hiroi

3 days ago

[...]we are still planning to start the mass production this month, and ship them (from Japan) next month. We will post a new update soon.

• I have one of these: www.mipuc.com and it works very well with very playable latency levels. I imagine that mi.1 will work similarly. I too wish it had USB though.