Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Gadget Users - Which gadgets DONT you have/want

Comments

• Just got Gadget in the sale, plus ARP, iM1 and iMono/Poly. I already have GR-16 so never bought Electribe Wave but I was wondering what it brings to the Gadget party and whether there are any big bits of functionality missing when used in Gadget? I hear the in app sounds are good so are they all available?

• @ejacul337 said:

• What are yall picking up from the Korg Summer Sale?

I'll probably get iMono/Poly + Ebina or/and Vancouver
    I wish for Module one day but for the time being, I struggle with storage space.

And i'm hoping they eventually drop an iKaossilator, iElectribe and iDS-10 gadget some day (not likely). As for new stuff, would love an ES-1 with all it's grittiness (since mine is burnt, i'm missing it), a Volca FM and Volca Modular gadget, and Monotribe (missed the chance to buy one back then, and it's been hard to find one at a good price on my region)

• @MisplacedDevelopment said:
    Just got Gadget in the sale, plus ARP, iM1 and iMono/Poly. I already have GR-16 so never bought Electribe Wave but I was wondering what it brings to the Gadget party and whether there are any big bits of functionality missing when used in Gadget? I hear the in app sounds are good so are they all available?

Electribe Wave brings an accessible/basic wavetable synth to the party.
    In Gadget/Warszawa you’ll get the single synth, not the drums and sequencer from the standalone (same as with the AUv3). All iAP sounds are also available.

• @ejacul337 said:
    I knew I shouldnt have bought iwavestation, lol.
    Thx Korg for the summer sale (1 mos after basically buying every gadget/IAP) lol.

The rest of the Module IAPs I didn't have, including the new one "Tropical Pop".

• @R_2 said:

@MisplacedDevelopment said:
    Just got Gadget in the sale, plus ARP, iM1 and iMono/Poly. I already have GR-16 so never bought Electribe Wave but I was wondering what it brings to the Gadget party and whether there are any big bits of functionality missing when used in Gadget? I hear the in app sounds are good so are they all available?

In Gadget/Warszawa you’ll get the single synth, not the drums and sequencer from the standalone (same as with the AUv3). All iAP sounds are also available.

Thanks you @R_2, that is useful information.

@R_2 said:

Thanks you @R_2, that is useful information.

I owned Electribe Wave before gadget, so I had warsawa (and iaps) from the jump- I use the sounds a lot.

• I am totally unimpressed with Wavestation tho, it's just as frustrating as the actual hardware to work with. At least with the hardware you knew it wasnt going to glitch out- there's just wayyy too much going on in Wavestation- it's crippled my creative effort substationally- but made me respect those of you that are able to master it. Hats off to you folks.

• I would highly reccomend picking up Arp Oddessi if you do any type of electronic music - w/ 200 presets post IAP, and the amazing full sounds you can get out of it, I think it's by far the best synth(behind module and iPoly)

Ipoly, Module, and Arp should be considered in this sale if you can - plus the IAP's - the Oddessi IAP's are totally worth it.

Module is kind of a no brainer - it's the defenitive Korg keyboard experience, if your just looking for playback and not really wanitng to sculpt sounds - although you can get some amazing sounds out of Module- it might have the most range given the presets/IAP's, I dunno.

Wavestation has broken my brain- I regret the rabbit hole. lol

• I'm also tempted to grab Stockholm, just because it's on sale and I am a happy Reason user - I just don't like using loops in my shit tho. I know the slices negates the looping element- but even in Reason, I don't use REX files.

I do bounce to REX every waveform/midi that I make for prosperity purposes- but sometimes the rex sound like shit, and I'm not certain why that is. Eh, I guess I have already made up my mind about Stockholm. good chat!

Looking forward to hearing what everyone scored and what they were impressed/depressed over.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@ejacul337 said:
    I knew I shouldnt have bought iwavestation, lol.
    Thx Korg for the summer sale (1 mos after basically buying every gadget/IAP) lol.

The rest of the Module IAPs I didn't have, including the new one "Tropical Pop".

Been following your threads. Good Stuff. I'm not gonna get the tropical pop - I'm running the 7 Day trial right now, and captured the presets that I thought sounded the best. The one module IAP that kinda flipped me was the performance module. I thought this would allow me to layer any of the presets, or at very least map two presets across the keys like say in LAYR, but I suppose if you want full midi control- you need that. I dunno- I tried it for the 7 days and after about 3, I still didnt think it was work 30 bucks or whatever.

The Module IAP that really impressed me that I didnt think I would like was: NEO SOUL
    The one I was most happy with was the winter one with the industrial sounding pads and synthscapes.

• @ejacul337 cheers. Wavestation is one that I did not grab but I have loaded up on the others+IAPs while the sale is on. I do like the sounds from Electribe so I am glad I got it.

Fortunately I already had a number of the Module IAPs and they do help expand the Gadget pallete.

• One thing about the 'Module Performance Expansion' is that it includes a bunch of 'bread and butter sounds' (Layer Elements) in various categories. And if one's got a soft-spot for the 'Korg Sound' it's a must.

@ejacul337 cheers. Wavestation is one that I did not grab but I have loaded up on the others+IAPs while the sale is on. I do like the sounds from Electribe so I am glad I got it.

Fortunately I already had a number of the Module IAPs and they do help expand the Gadget pallete.

It's my own fault about wavestation, I mean - i spent literal HOURS trying to sculpt out that example I posted, and could have easily punched that up in 10 minutes with other gadgets. lol

• Do you have the performance module? Which module IAP did you like the most?
  • I did not buy the Performance Expansion as I would not use the extra features (which I believe do not apply to Gadget) and so the price did not seem worth it for the extra sounds.

In Module I have:
    Orchestral/Choir dreams - got these when there was a lack of realistic sounding orchestral instruments on iOS. Have not used them since StaffPad came along but they might get some new life in Gadget.
    Hybrid Synth 2 - happy enough with this
    Cinematic - not sure why I bought this
    I just bought Synth Drums as I figure this could be useful inside Gadget.

As I bought Module Pro I think I got a few extra piano gadgets. At the time I regretted getting the Pro version but now I have Gadget then I can justify my earlier bad decision.

• What I find about the wavestation is that it’s all typical Korg engineer ‘just give the user every option possible’, which for an engineering mindset sounds like a positive, but as far as I’m concerned is an unfinished design job.

How I’ve gotten on with the wavestation is by subsetting it heavily, and ignoring vast amount of it. With any Korg synth (going back to the S3 I used to have, and the 05R/W) I start by ignoring the effects, they’re too complicated, so, no effects until the last minute (often outboard). Then I ignore all the parts and layers and stuff, I restrict myself to one chunk of the architecture that resembles a simple synth (except it’ll be poly, or can be). In the case of the wavestation I’ll ignore the facility to sequence through wave sets, with one exception – I’ll allow a waveset for onset transients, crossfading into another waveset for the body of the sound. I think that was the original design feature, but they went crazy and thought ‘why not just keep crossfading from one set to another - oh, and we can supply a sequencer to do that’. No thanks, that was a mistake, Korg, shouldn’t have bothered, or shouldn’t have told anyone.

In the end, though, I end up with a synth that’s not far away from an M1 class of synth, with the exception that it can give separate sound sources for the transient and body of a sound (very important back in the 90s for synthesis, with all the Sample+Synthesis boxes appearing around then) (still important now, too, to have a separate transient treatment than the body of a sound) (but that’s another story).

So, with the wavestations, basically ignore about 90% of it and you’ll manage.

• Vancouver, Madrid and Bilbao seem like they will cover a lot of sonic ground so everything else is a maybe one day purchase.

• @Samu said:
    One thing about the 'Module Performance Expansion' is that it includes a bunch of 'bread and butter sounds' (Layer Elements) in various categories. And if one's got a soft-spot for the 'Korg Sound' it's a must.

i absolutely adore the Korg sound, specifically the signature delay sound. I'm a reverb/delay autist.

Does the performance module not allow you to layer any sounds you want? I was hoping that I could combine a preset from two different IAPs but I wasnt able to figure it out. lol.

Vancouver will suffice as far as layering sounds go tho, It would be nice if it that IAP had a more detailed description

• @ejacul337 said:

i absolutely adore the Korg sound, specifically the signature delay sound. I'm a reverb/delay autist.

Does the performance module not allow you to layer any sounds you want? I was hoping that I could combine a preset from two different IAPs but I wasnt able to figure it out. lol.

Vancouver will suffice as far as layering sounds go tho, It would be nice if it that IAP had a more detailed description

Yes, the Performance Expansion allow to layer any sound present in Module and they all keep their effects too which is nice.
    If you use it as an AUv3 you can stack as many instances as the CPU can handle though.

When used inside Gadget the only addition is the extra sounds in the Performance Expansion.

While Vancouver allows layering of two samples It really is not the same thing as it lacks in other areas...

Korg could (if they wanted to) increase the usability of Vancouver by allowing it to use any of the samples present in the other sample-based Gadgets. (Think loading a sound from say Amsterdam and using it in Vancouver).

As for Reverbs and Delays, it can get very expensive in the long run...

Cheers!

• @ejacul337 said:

@ejacul337 cheers. Wavestation is one that I did not grab but I have loaded up on the others+IAPs while the sale is on. I do like the sounds from Electribe so I am glad I got it.

It's my own fault about wavestation, I mean - i spent literal HOURS trying to sculpt out that example I posted, and could have easily punched that up in 10 minutes with other gadgets. lol

• Do you have the performance module? Which module IAP did you like the most?

I love iWavestation but I agree that designing sounds with it feels a bit like computer programming, it needs some learning time and dedication. For me it's the modern version of a Roland D-50.

Regarding Stockholm: I have thousands of great sounding REX loops on my desktops so these were reason #1 to insta-purchase.
    If your REXes don't sound good then why would you need it?

• 1P18 made an intro guide to iWavestation
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/812110/#Comment_812110

Not a synth you master in a day and a half :)

• For accoustic drums I am looking at either Gladstone or Bilbao. I believe that Gladstone is single velocity layer and I have loads of accoustic drum samples so it feels like I would be better off getting Bilbao to make my own kits and I can also use Bilbao as a general sample launcher. Does anyone have both and see a reason not to do it this way?

• Ugh, iWavestation = If a synth had schizophrenia and was high on Adderall and cheap wine.

synthaphrenia, if you will.

I haven't appreciated mono synths so much since buying this creativity sabatoging softsynth.

DO NOT BUY, lol.

Seriously. Just yuck.

• @ejacul337 said:
    Ugh, iWavestation = If a synth had schizophrenia and was high on Adderall and cheap wine.

synthaphrenia, if you will.

I haven't appreciated mono synths so much since buying this creativity sabatoging softsynth.

DO NOT BUY, lol.

Seriously. Just yuck.

Maybe iMS-20 would have been a better buy for you then :)

• @Samu said:

Maybe iMS-20 would have been a better buy for you then :)

i'm using Iphone 12 :(

I mean seriously look at this:

• Hah, that’s a good description of Wavestation

• THat looks like Egyptian hieroglyphs or Alien communication.

The manual is a great help- it really breaks it down, but even then- just gross. lol

• @ejacul337 said:

I mean seriously look at this:

It's not complex if you look at it, you select the waveform and level for it with option cross fade time to the next wave, you can also select the pitch for each wave independently if needed for arpeggios, bass-lines etc.

Think of it like chaining one sample after another with where you can also select crossfade time, level and pitch for each frame like a 'wave table synth' where you can manually create the wave-table using the provided factory samples instead of using pre-made wave-tables.

These 'wave sequences' are then used as regular samples and fed thru pitch-envelopes, filters and effects.

You do NOT have to use the wave-sequences, just use single samples, feed them thru the filters and effects.

It is a complex synth ad iWavestation is a dream to program compared to the original hardware synth which never even had a proper editor made for it :)

If you compare to programming a Korg Wavestation 'hardware' iWaveStation is a easy in comparison :)

It depends on how much patience one has and what kind of sounds one intends to create...

Unfortunately the 'Gadget Version' does not provide full programming capabilities that are present in the stand-alone app.

Cheers!

For accoustic drums I am looking at either Gladstone or Bilbao. I believe that Gladstone is single velocity layer and I have loads of accoustic drum samples so it feels like I would be better off getting Bilbao to make my own kits and I can also use Bilbao as a general sample launcher. Does anyone have both and see a reason not to do it this way?

I do not own Gladstone, but do have balboa and I will almost always choose a sampler option. You can give your drums that accoustic resonance and depth pretty well in Gladstone, but it's still pretty limited. Balboa has it's limitations too - but it's super fast, and you can do way more with it. I wouldn't hesitate on Balboa- it was one of my first pickups. I tend to always start with London for the BD on the default kit and the CHH, and then I later I go in and layer out my rhythm in Balboa and Tokyo.
    Tokyo gets used in all my tracks- its so underappreciated.

I looked up a shitload of videos on Gladstone, and none of them impressed me enough to want it.

• I'm wondering if im1 is worth nabbing. Can you still not combine pcm samples in Darwin? I don't mind romplers if you can combine sounds
    add effects and filter to get new sounds. Kinda like digital d1, (which is gorgeous sounding but barely works for me for some reason, crashing and hung notes and lost sounds etc...)

I got imono/poly and couldn't be happier with it though.

I don't think I would get on with iwavestation. I know it's powerful though...

• @GeorgeL909 said:
    I'm wondering if im1 is worth nabbing. Can you still not combine pcm samples in Darwin? I don't mind romplers if you can combine sounds add effects and filter to get new sounds.

It's a no-can-do in Darwin/iM1 and something we all want to do...
    (Korg should really release a proper 'Sampler Gadget' with all bells and whistles that also has access to all samples in all the Gadgets. This way we could combine sounds from Darwin, Amsterdam, Landon etc. as we please)

Unfortunately Vancouver is too simple but it does allow the user to layer two samples, no filters and stuff like that though...
    (It doesn't read loop meta-data from the loaded samples, so in order to loop existing samples they need to be re-looped in Vancouver).

No one knows what Korg is cooking but the Module IAPs are starting to feel a bit boring to be honest...

For accoustic drums I am looking at either Gladstone or Bilbao. I believe that Gladstone is single velocity layer and I have loads of accoustic drum samples so it feels like I would be better off getting Bilbao to make my own kits and I can also use Bilbao as a general sample launcher. Does anyone have both and see a reason not to do it this way?

I have merged my multisample acoustic drums into REX files. Different drums at different velocity levels are spread across the keyboard, each sample on a different key. I would say it's juts a matter of getting used to. Now I have them inside Stockholm.
    Neither Bilbao nor Gladstone can do that.

• @ejacul337 said:

I do not own Gladstone, but do have balboa and I will almost always choose a sampler option. You can give your drums that accoustic resonance and depth pretty well in Gladstone, but it's still pretty limited. Balboa has it's limitations too - but it's super fast, and you can do way more with it. I wouldn't hesitate on Balboa- it was one of my first pickups. I tend to always start with London for the BD on the default kit and the CHH, and then I later I go in and layer out my rhythm in Balboa and Tokyo.
    Tokyo gets used in all my tracks- its so underappreciated.

I looked up a shitload of videos on Gladstone, and none of them impressed me enough to want it.

Ta, just got Bilbao so setting up my first kit now.

@rs2000 said:

I have merged my multisample acoustic drums into REX files. Different drums at different velocity levels are spread across the keyboard, each sample on a different key. I would say it's juts a matter of getting used to. Now I have them inside Stockholm.
    Neither Bilbao nor Gladstone can do that.

Sounds powerful! Unfortunately I don’t have a way of building REX files at the moment but it would open up a lot of new possibilities.