Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I want to produce Minimal Techno, where do I start?

Comments

• edited June 2021

So… let a drum machine run for an hour straight and toss in the odd sound effect? I’ve been making this kind of music for years apparently! :D

• @drcongo said:

@Fingolfinzz said:

@drcongo said:
    For actually making it, there's nothing better than Rosetta Rhythm - it's perfect.

For just drums or for everything?

Just for the drums. But then again, what else do you need?

squelchies!

• edited June 2021

@cozido said:
    A good place to start:

Live setup:

I think it’s less about music theory and more about creating the mood… everyone does it differently…

What ios synth can be like a vermona ( without talking about midi knob control ) should you work out what the octrack is doing? Would a behringer BRC32 be better than an octatrack for vermona or would an ipad be ok? Seeing sequencing potential from a controller. Its bugging me now. Do I see if audioc4 can still be sent back and not buy another ipad. Were in Vermona territory and you might not need an octatrack. Would do you think. Of course a vermona seems better than another ipad. Its just whats the Vermona all about.

• The closest I’ve come to the sound of techno I like is by turning reverb up on each track a little more than usual. Then turning a low pass filter down real low on the master so much that you need to turn the volume up to hear it. Keep it low frequency with little flares of opening up that lpf

• Same here. In fact I want to make so little Techno it almost none.

• edited June 2021

So many amazing videos. I've learned so much so far. :) I finally started a new Richie Hawtin-esque track in Gadget. I'm setting up the main loop. Kick is Tokyo and is set to 1 bar, clap sound is Kingston and is set to 2 bars, the arp synth is Pompei and is set to 3 bars, and the bass sound is Chicago set to 7 bars...so far. ;) That should be more than enough to get me started as this is SUPPOSED to be "minimal" afterall. I'm so f*cking excited. 😃 I'll answer some individual replies in a bit.

• @NeuM said:
    So… let a drum machine run for an hour straight and toss in the odd sound effect? I’ve been making this kind of music for years apparently! :disappointed:

Really?

• @jwmmakerofmusic Have you bought FAC drum kit yet? I just pointed Rosetta Rhythm at it and LFO’d a couple of things and that’s a whole minimal techno track right there.

• @drcongo said:
    @jwmmakerofmusic Have you bought FAC drum kit yet? I just pointed Rosetta Rhythm at it and LFO’d a couple of things and that’s a whole minimal techno track right there.

Cool. :) Got a demo mate?

• Some really great feedback here. Thanks for posing the question @jwmmakerofmusic and enjoy the process...really inspired now :)

• @echoopera said:
    Some really great feedback here. Thanks for posing the question @jwmmakerofmusic and enjoy the process...really inspired now :)

Oh my god. Thanks to everybody's excellent feedback, I think I f*cking nailed it. 😱 8+ minutes of pure hypnotic bliss. Gonna upload the results to my Soundcloud and post here in the forum in a bit. Gotta register it to Songuard first. 😉

• Found this on Youtube.

The last part is a testimonial for Adam Audio monitors, but the first 10 or so minutes is an insight into Richie Hawtin's mind. It's very rare to next-to-near-impossible for me these days to be so impressed by someone they become a massive influence on my music, but this is one of those bizarre life-changing moments for me.

I grew up with Yanni and world music, with Sash and other similar artists, with 90s House like Crystal Waters, etc, but I never grew up with Richie Hawtin, with Jeff Mills, and so many other greats. It's discovering a new world and musical ideology I never knew before. 😱 I am just so fucking stoked!

• edited June 2021

Somehow I missed this one earlier... Minimal Techno Drambo stylee:

• I would make the most of the least!
    Get a drum machine with individual outs.
    Open them in AUM.
    Insert effects on the highats (Eventide Pack).
    Vouala!
    On top you can add a track of Ruismaler noir, and some stabs from the free “Synth One” .
    Learn how to record effect changes with Midi FX with apps like Drambo. You will be a Techno guy in notime :)

• @cozido said:

This is fantastic

• What are good tempos for minimal?

• Around 130 bpm

• edited June 2021

• @sigma79 said:

The most minimal response in this thread . 🤣 Bravo.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@sigma79 said:

Sorry mate. Posted in wrong thread.

• @sigma79 said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@sigma79 said:

Sorry mate. Posted in wrong thread.

It's okay mate. :) It made me laugh, because one simple period seems like it fits the thread so well. :lol:

• Try some Paula Temple - nice sounds🔥

• @NTKK paula temple is god lol

• @Fingolfinzz said:

@cozido said:

This is fantastic

Lovely sounds indeed. And at times, while designing sounds, the song ideas will just pop up and tell you how to move on.

• @NTKK said:
    Try some Paula Temple - nice sounds🔥

Definitely checking her music out. ☺️

@rs2000 said:

@Fingolfinzz said:

@cozido said:

This is fantastic

Lovely sounds indeed. And at times, while designing sounds, the song ideas will just pop up and tell you how to move on.

It's strange. I've never been able to tame Drambo and hard for me to wrap my head around how to program the beast. :lol: And I've programmed fully modular synths in the past with cables and shit. But damn if this video didn't want to make me redownload it so I can learn it inside and out. Beautiful example.

• I really liked the VCMG “ssss” record that came out a few years ago.

NanoStudio and Gadget are obvious contenders for the “how”. I might suggest you to go even more limited though. Nanoloop is really fun. ElasticDrums might be just enough as well.

• @syrupcore said:
    I really liked the VCMG “ssss” record that came out a few years ago.

NanoStudio and Gadget are obvious contenders for the “how”. I might suggest you to go even more limited though. Nanoloop is really fun. ElasticDrums might be just enough as well.

God, it's been eons since I last played with Nanoloop.

• This documentary about Richie Hawtin is absolutely amazing. :)