Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM Midi Control question with e.g. SnakeBud

If I have something like SnakeBud that exposes the ‘Rate’ as Midi controllable with values of 1 to 21 as per attached screenshot, how do I set up AUM to allow each of the 21 values to be selected? I am using the ‘Note’ option for other Midi settings e.g. Randomise Notes etc but can’t work out how to pass through a set of values? Apologies if I have got hold of the wrong end of the stick altogether. I am using another instance of SnakeBud to pass the Notes through. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• @GeoTony You should be able to send a CC, and it'll be scaled so CC values 0-127 map to data values 1-21. The data range shown by AUM shows the values it needs to send to the app; it's not a challenge for the user.

• Thanks @uncledave , sorry but still don’t fully understand.
    Q1 Where and how does the cc range 0-127 get mapped to 1-21?
    Q2 Can I use Note values to achieve the same thing as I am trying to use SnakeBud which to the best of my knowledge doesn’t output ccs?
    Ta

• @GeoTony said:
    Thanks @uncledave , sorry but still don’t fully understand.
    Q1 Where and how does the cc range 0-127 get mapped to 1-21?
    Q2 Can I use Note values to achieve the same thing as I am trying to use SnakeBud which to the best of my knowledge doesn’t output ccs?
    Ta

A1. The mapping is performed by AUM. You don't need to tell it. It knows a CC ranges from 0-127, the AU tells it the range it expects, and AUM does the calculation.

A2. I expect you're using notes for on/off parameters, so AUM can take a single note and switch a control on and off. I don't think you'll be able to use notes for parameters with a range of values. You could use a scripting tool like StreamByter or Mozaic to convert certain notes into specific CC values.

• If you have Mozaic, this script can be used to convert notes to cc values: https://patchstorage.com/key-to-cc/. Send the output of SnakeBud to Mozaic, and Mozaic to MIDI Control.

• @GeoTony said:
    If I have something like SnakeBud that exposes the ‘Rate’ as Midi controllable with values of 1 to 21 as per attached screenshot, how do I set up AUM to allow each of the 21 values to be selected? I am using the ‘Note’ option for other Midi settings e.g. Randomise Notes etc but can’t work out how to pass through a set of values? Apologies if I have got hold of the wrong end of the stick altogether. I am using another instance of SnakeBud to pass the Notes through. Thanks in advance.

The value range displayed corresponds to the AU parameters internal range NOT MIDI. AU parameters are floating point values whose range is defined in the AU. What AUM does is take MIDI messages and maps those to the AU's range. If you know that you are only interested in a part of the AU's parameter range, you can have AUM map the full range of possible MIDI values to the narrower range -- which gives you finer resolution within the range you are controlling.

• Yea you can use the range. I sometimes look at where i want the knob to be and quickly do the math to find out how the 2 values relate.

• edited June 2021

128 / 21 gives you 6.09… round up, 6.1. every 6.1 CC #s will move between 1 pattern. There is only whole numbers in CC so the decimal is kind of irrelevant. For example, Pattern 10 should be at a CC value of 61, or something very close.

• You don’t have to use Mosaic. You can use Helium or Step Bud to send CCs direct to Snake Bud

• Thanks everybody for you comments. @NimboStratus , I have StepBud so will try and get my brain around all your answers, do the maths and give it a go.

• edited June 2021

@Poppadocrock said:
    128 / 21 gives you 6.09… round up, 6.1. every 6.1 CC #s will move between 1 pattern. There is only whole numbers in CC so the decimal is kind of irrelevant. For example, Pattern 10 should be at a CC value of 61, or something very close.

@GeoTony

Not exactly. Consider the fenceposts and the fences. If you have 3 fenceposts (values), there are only 2 fences (increments) joining them. This is because there are values at both ends. So, for 21 values (1-21) there are 20 increments, and the increment is 127/20 = 6.35. Rounding centers the CC values at 0, 6, 13, 19, etc. Depending on how AUM and the app handle this, you may need to always round up.

Edit: Multiply 6.35*(i-1) to get the CC value for Rate "i". This gives 0 for Rate 1, 127 for Rate 21, and the rest equally spaced in between.

• Thanks @uncledave , I understand now. My mistake was thinking that CC#1 was like Note 1 I.e. a single value and not a channel to pass multiple values through. Works a treat now so thanks everybody.

• @uncledave said:

@Poppadocrock said:

@GeoTony

Not exactly. Consider the fenceposts and the fences. If you have 3 fenceposts (values), there are only 2 fences (increments) joining them. This is because there are values at both ends. So, for 21 values (1-21) there are 20 increments, and the increment is 127/20 = 6.35. Rounding centers the CC values at 0, 6, 13, 19, etc. Depending on how AUM and the app handle this, you may need to always round up.

Edit: Multiply 6.35*(i-1) to get the CC value for Rate "i". This gives 0 for Rate 1, 127 for Rate 21, and the rest equally spaced in between.

Ohhh. That’s true. Good point. I was doing a quick and dirty version, but I didn’t consider the fence post analogy. Thanks for that.

• @GeoTony said:
    Thanks @uncledave , I understand now. My mistake was thinking that CC#1 was like Note 1 I.e. a single value and not a channel to pass multiple values through. Works a treat now so thanks everybody.

Your welcome.