Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The WWDC 2021 Thread! Post your Predictions, Wishes, Updates & More!

Comments

• @McD said:
    One encouraging take away for me:

Spatial audio

I watched a Spatial Audio video and it doesn't mention any change in latency.
    Just headphone sensors that provide feedback on head positioning that can inform
    the audio app for head turning. Very game oriented and the headphones apple sells
    only mention Bluetooth 5.0 as their tech specs.

In this video Apple "sells" to their developers the same way they sell to their customers.

NOTE: Note this video contains almost a dozen lines of API calls to declare or enable
    Spatial Audio support and not much else.

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2021/10265/

• A spatial audio plugin for mixing would be a nice addition for GarageBand (and of course, iOS Logic is a given).

• Dolby Atmos already has few official options for creating spatial audio for Apple ecosystem, none of them are cheap.

• LPX will soon contain built-in tools for spatial audio: https://9to5mac.com/2021/06/08/spatial-audio-tools-logic-pro/

• @yug said:
    LPX will soon contain built-in tools for spatial audio: https://9to5mac.com/2021/06/08/spatial-audio-tools-logic-pro/

If it takes $500 headphones to appreciate Spatial Audio then I think it’s not going to be a game changer here.

Maybe we should pivot to chip shortages making hardware even more expensive.

• @wim said:

@GrimLucky said:

@Samu said:

...it's not like my entire life depends on a working iPad.

Shh, don’t tell Apple this 😳

He's in denial. If he needs his update fix on day zero then he's an addict for sure. 😉

The fun part with day one install of a release version is to see how 'sloppy' the beta-testers have been :sunglasses:

I mean if no one dares to try and bump into the issues there's no way a fix4all will come :)

• @wim said:
    I just can't understand people's need to get the newest features on day 1. Even if they were exciting features needing to have them on release rather than waiting a month or two is incomprehensible to me. But that's just me. To each his own. B)

I don’t agree.
    For 99% of iPad owners, the device is not some work-critical tool but a gadget for your free time, hobby, leisure, fun… so wanting to get an update is perfectly normal. Why should an iPad user be aware of such problems?. One should trust that they’ve checked and tested enough before releasing some update. One should not have to worry about these things or waste their time researching.
    What is NOT ok is that Apple doesn’t let you go back in os version. It’s totally unacceptable, specially if you get crackles or problems. So they screw up and you’re stuck?. How is that ok?.
    I’ve read plenty of “if you don’t like it don’t buy it, it’s what it is”. No way. It’s my bloody device, I shouldn’t be stuck with a malfunctioning operating system because, hey 🍎.
    Awesome they’ll let us go back to iOS 14 from iOS 15!. Wow. How the hell is that exceptional?.
    We are customers, we pay big 💰. Sometimes it feels like us customers are like some third world country that should be grateful for what we get.
    I just don’t get it.

• Just for fun...

• @CapnWillie said:
    Hard pass on all this fluffy 🐮shit.

All I see is more ATM for shareholders and ways to mine more bio-identifiable data from users under the guise of prioritizing your health and security. Yeah…sure bro.

Buying used Apple products from early adopters a year or two after launch and taking time to learn how to properly configure them to neutralize big tech data mining sensors and algos (MITxPro online courses are an exponentially better investment than any of this shit btw) is my way of balancing what Apple and other companies have become.

In a month or few, I might buy an M1 Air for $600ish from an early adopter chasing the new shiney M2 coming soon. Or, I may just skip another gen or two…nothing at all looks that impressive for me to disrupt my current rig that’s mature, secure, bug free and compatible with all my 3rd party plug ins and peripherals. M*Fk Dongles and hubs to accomplish basic connectivity. Apple can kiss my whole natural black ass on all of that jazz. 💋🍑

Currently getting 7 years out of Apple devices which is great value. May even get 10 years out of my current rig if nothing sexy happens with the OS.

As I get older (43 next week), I’m realizing increases in discernment, wisdom, real estate, gratitude and exponentially less tech FOMO leads to better smiles, account balances, more to give (charity to less fortunate) and sleep.

My lord this post made my morning 😂

• edited June 2021

@tahiche said:
    Why should an iPad user be aware of such problems?

Because you live in the real world, so you know they exist? :) I mean it's all nice in theory that apple should put out perfect updates, but they don't, and noone else does either.

BTW my point is not about when people want to upgrade - I don't care, they should do whatever suits them. But this question sounds more naive than I'm assuming you to be. :)

• @Samu said:
    Just for fun...

Legit. :)

• Wow. Just picked up an M1 iPad Pro and it’s so much faster than the iPad Pro 2018 i was running. Really happy with the performance for my art, music and video on this. Looking forward to seeing devs take advantage of its pipeline.

• @ervin said:

@tahiche said:

Because you live in the real world, so you know they exist? :) I mean it's all nice in theory that apple should put out perfect updates, but they don't, and noone else does either.

BTW my point is not about when people want to upgrade - I don't care, they should do whatever suits them. But this question sounds more naive than I'm assuming you to be. :)

The point was more about not being able to downgrade if things go wrong, which is the reason for having to be extra careful and informed before an update. Updating shouldn’t be an issue, if it is it’s the developers fault. And yes, things happen, but either they get it right or they should let you go back to using your device without crackles and errors.
    I’m a developer myself (web). If I add functionality or make changes to an app and things don’t work like they should i must provide a rollback. I can’t tell a client to wait for a month for the next update, which might not even fix it.

• @CapnWillie said:

As I get older (43 next week), I’m realizing increases in discernment, wisdom, real estate, gratitude and exponentially less tech FOMO leads to better smiles, account balances, more to give (charity to less fortunate) and sleep.

41 next week!!!!

• @tahiche said:

@ervin said:

@tahiche said:

The point was more about not being able to downgrade if things go wrong, which is the reason for having to be extra careful and informed before an update. Updating shouldn’t be an issue, if it is it’s the developers fault. And yes, things happen, but either they get it right or they should let you go back to using your device without crackles and errors.
    I’m a developer myself (web). If I add functionality or make changes to an app and things don’t work like they should i must provide a rollback. I can’t tell a client to wait for a month for the next update, which might not even fix it.

If Apple wants to position the iPad as a device you can use in a professional setting, then they absolutely need to provide the ability to snapshot and rollback the device. At this point, they seem to be a little confused about pushing the iPad in this direction. They have provisioning tools for large scale enterprise settings, but I don't think anything like that is available for individual users. They do really need to get this situation sorted out to make the iPad dependable as a professional device.

• edited June 2021

@tahiche said:

@ervin said:

@tahiche said:

I fully agree with that part. I do hate it myself that I'm left with the bloody crackles on a high-category ipad after an update I didn't need and which didn't solve any issues but introduced a new one. And the manufacturer doesn't even acknowledge said issue, let alone promise or provide a fix. As I keep saying, this company is a necessary evil for me rn 🤷

• @CapnWillie said:

@hansjbs said:

@CapnWillie said:

41 next week!!!!

Happy early 👑 day bro!!!

Same to you bro

• @tahiche said:

@wim said:
    I just can't understand people's need to get the newest features on day 1. Even if they were exciting features needing to have them on release rather than waiting a month or two is incomprehensible to me. But that's just me. To each his own. B)

I don’t agree.
    For 99% of iPad owners, the device is not some work-critical tool but a gadget for your free time, hobby, leisure, fun… so wanting to get an update is perfectly normal. Why should an iPad user be aware of such problems?. One should trust that they’ve checked and tested enough before releasing some update. One should not have to worry about these things or waste their time researching.

Yeh, I was talking about people on this forum. Anyone that's been around for a couple rounds of major updates knows that there are likely going to be problems that take some time to settle out. Kudos to those willing to take one for the team by updating right away in the name of science and humanity like @Samu. I was one of those until my only device, an Air 2 got too far down the food chain. Every update now for me has to be judged carefully as to whether it's time to lock it down forever. 13.7 just might be the last for this ol' thing unless they get the oddball music app issues fixed.

What is NOT ok is that Apple doesn’t let you go back in os version. It’s totally unacceptable, specially if you get crackles or problems. So they screw up and you’re stuck?. How is that ok?.
    I’ve read plenty of “if you don’t like it don’t buy it, it’s what it is”. No way. It’s my bloody device, I shouldn’t be stuck with a malfunctioning operating system because, hey 🍎.
    Awesome they’ll let us go back to iOS 14 from iOS 15!. Wow. How the hell is that exceptional?.

Agree on all points. Still, I'm thankful that they did finally take that one step, half-hearted though it is.

We are customers, we pay big 💰. Sometimes it feels like us customers are like some third world country that should be grateful for what we get.
    I just don’t get it.

It's arrogance, plain and simple. Apple has always been arrogant. They have always been convinced to the core that they know far better than us what is best for us. It just comes with the territory. I don't waste any emotion over it because in 30 years I've never seen that change so I never expect it to. As long as there isn't any competition (for what I do with their products) I focus my energy on trying not to get burned any worse than I need to. B)

• wimwim
    edited June 2021

@NeonSilicon said:
    If Apple wants to position the iPad as a device you can use in a professional setting, then they absolutely need to provide the ability to snapshot and rollback the device. At this point, they seem to be a little confused about pushing the iPad in this direction. They have provisioning tools for large scale enterprise settings, but I don't think anything like that is available for individual users. They do really need to get this situation sorted out to make the iPad dependable as a professional device.

This. 1000x this.

And more granular backup / restore. Why the $)*!^)%! do I have to restore an entire iPad and update to the latest OS (!) just to restore a single critical file or folder? Why no incremental backups? Why no visibility into what is actually in a backup?

These are fundamental needs for any professional computing device. If they want to graduate from "big glorified phone" to "professional alternative to a desktop", they need to treat it like one.

• i think everything is quite simple. there are probably going to announce the new final cut pro very soon. my guess is they are going to announce it soon after or around next macbook pro. that’s when they are going to announce that this new final cut pro is also optimized for ipads. and then they are going to push ipad as a pro device.

• @wim said:

@NeonSilicon said:

This. 1000x this.

And more granular backup / restore. Why the $)*!^)%! do I have to restore an entire iPad and update to the latest OS (!) just to restore a single critical file or folder? Why no incremental backups? Why no visibility into what is actually in a backup?

These are fundamental needs for any professional computing device. If they want to graduate from "big glorified phone" to "professional alternative to a desktop", they need to treat it like one.

X1000
    As some of you know I’ve burned more than a couple of iPads pros (totally not my fault 😇). I couldn’t use my older iPad in the meantime because the backup was all-or-nothing and it obviously wouldn’t fit on the older iPad. If you ever go from big iPad to smaller iPad you’re screwed.

@ervin said:
    I fully agree with that part. I do hate it myself that I'm left with the bloody crackles on a high-category ipad after an update I didn't need and which didn't solve any issues but introduced a new one. And the manufacturer doesn't even acknowledge said issue, let alone promise or provide a fix. As I keep saying, this company is a necessary evil for me rn 🤷

I skipped iOS 14.5 because I read about the crackles. When 14.6 came out just a while later I was absolutely convinced that would have been fixed so I jumped ahead. Crackle it is, and still. Unbelievable.

• confused

Once upon a time in an enterprise datacenter...

• wimwim
    edited June 2021

OK, now this looks super promising for developers.

• Swift Concurrency

• Async / Await pattern
      • async keyword to mark a function as asynchronous
      • use the await keyword before calling the async function to indicate that other work can be done
    • Structured Concurrency

• Structure your concurrent tasks in a more logical way
    • Actors

• Safe concurrency
      • object that protects its own state
      • mutually exclusive access
      • can use "actor" keyword instead of "class" to create an actor type
      • Use the @MainActor keyword on a function to indicate that it is always run on the main thread.
      • You don't have to use DispatchQueue.main.async

( Lifted from an email from Chris Ching of "Code with Chris". Blog post here: https://codewithchris.com/wwdc-state-of-the-union-2021/?utm_source=getdrip&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=broadcast&utm_content=platforms-recap)

• @wim said:

• Swift Concurrency

• Async / Await pattern
      • use the await keyword before calling the async function to indicate that other work can be done
    • Structured Concurrency

• Actors

• Safe concurrency
      • Use the @MainActor keyword on a function to indicate that it is always run on the main thread.

(lifted from an email from Chris Ching of "Code with Chris".)

I've got a bunch of code that this will clean up significantly.

• @NeonSilicon said:

@wim said:

• Swift Concurrency

• Async / Await pattern
    • Structured Concurrency

• Actors

• Safe concurrency

I hope it's not limited to iOS 15 support.

• Did anyone Test iPadOS 15 yet?

• @wim said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@wim said:

• Swift Concurrency

• Async / Await pattern
    • Structured Concurrency

• Actors

• Safe concurrency

I hope it's not limited to iOS 15 support.

Hoping that it'll work with the new Swift but for older projects.

• Have they introduced any changes to IDAM?

They used to have a simple IDAM setup guide at this address: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/audiotoolbox/enabling_usb_audio_and_midi_for_ios
    But now it returns a "page not found" error. The link still can be found on the Working with Audio page. I wonder what's going on

• @yug said:
    Have they introduced any changes to IDAM?

They used to have a simple IDAM setup guide at this address: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/audiotoolbox/enabling_usb_audio_and_midi_for_ios
    But now it returns a "page not found" error. The link still can be found on the Working with Audio page. I wonder what's going on

I haven't seen anything yet. I doubt that this would be something that would be directly talked about in a session and if something does change, then it might not show up until later in the beta cycle. Could easily be something that does change at least for those devices with Thunderbolt.