Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The WWDC 2021 Thread! Post your Predictions, Wishes, Updates & More!

Comments

• https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2021/6/7/22523322/apple-wwdc-impressive-drag-and-drop-universal-control-demo

Using the mouse pointer seemlessly on an iPad could be pretty cool with IDAM. Interested to see how they implement it.

• What says that the apps will not come at a later date when iPadOS15 is actually released?

Just because Apple didn't show 'Pro Apps' at the Keynote doesn't mean they won't come at a later date...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2021

i’m actually happy with my new ipad pro, i can wait at least two or three years for apple to do something about their os. and when they do, i’ll have a couple more years of comfortable usage. and it’s perfect for my current needs.

• I’m definitely happy right now just having got an air 3 256 for ~300 notes; it means I can go a bit more spec mad whenever the bigger laptops emerge rather than feelingI should meet halfway with a more expensive iPad...

• I get the disappointment...
    considering the huge gap between the oldest / newest supported devices... with air2 on board for another year (at least)... latest pro owners will have a nearly 2yo device by the time something may come that could utilise that power...
    also makes me curious which (how many) models will be slashed when the time comes

On the other hand Apple is doing it right imo... not to offend anyone, but for the past years they managed to offer something for anyone on market for a tablet... from cheap to crazy expensive... and for many customers Apple still represents a status symbol, so why not?

• Worth to note is that not all iPadOS features are supported on all devices...
    ...so the support for older devices doesn't have to mean dragging down the newer devices.

Even today there's plenty of apps that are not supported on iPad Air 2 even when running the latest iPadOS version...

• @BCKeys said:

@realdawei said:

ah yes…another victim of the product that resembles a scam 😝

Buying something in anticipation of something that is not even sure to happen one day, when you already have something sufficient, is a problem of rich people..

The only border between the MacBook and the iPad is now just the OS. Apple gives anyone who wants the benefits of a MacBook every reason not to buy an iPad : everything we hope for on iPad already exists on MacOS.
    I honestly wonder if my next renewal will be an iPad, I won't have touch screen, but so many other advantages (Logic, VSTs, Finder, USB ports..).

I have an MPE trackpad and multi-touch Touch Bar which works actually great for music tools. (I especially love midi Touch Bar and AudioSwift app).
    I personally gave up finally on iPad after this overpowered iPads which cost the same or even more as my 13" M1 MacBook Pro. iPadOS is holding I too much back for me.

• I truly believe the disappointment is because everyone heard “M1” and immediately thought Mac like apps/software on the iPadOS platform when in reality the M1 chip is basically a more powerful A14 chip. M1 is literally based on Apple’s A line of chips.

• edited June 2021

@NeuM said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:
    OK....this did make me lulz a bit....

Haha. Here’s their excuse why there’s no calculator app in the iPad:

https://fossbytes.com/why-ipads-dont-have-default-calculator-app/

Personally, I find this excuse entirely unconvincing.

Man that's bad! I agree. They can't make an earth-shattering calculator so they don't make a decent one? It's not like it would be the only mediocre app on there...

@Samu said:
    What says that the apps will not come at a later date when iPadOS15 is actually released?

Just because Apple didn't show 'Pro Apps' at the Keynote doesn't mean they won't come at a later date...

What's your take by the way? I seem to recall you said you'd wait for this event and then decide about your ipad upgrade plans. What's your conclusion?

• @richardyot said:
    I get the disappointment though - the hardware just seems to be miles ahead of the software at this point.

Personally I think the biggest thing holding the platform back is the App Store not having some mechanism for devs to offer paid upgrades for their apps. It means that it's simply not profitable for devs to keep their apps in active development, and the only alternative model is to go subscription, at which point the pitchforks come out.

This.

• edited June 2021

@krassmann said:
    ... But I honestly think about returning my iPad Pro 11 1TB and buy an MacBook Air plus an iPad Air 4 for almost the same money.

Do it. I hear the Air 4 has much better sounding crackles than the M1 Pro!

Jokes aside though, if you do need a laptop anyway, this change would arguably result in better value for the money.

• @ervin said:

>

What's your take by the way? I seem to recall you said you'd wait for this event and then decide about your ipad upgrade plans. What's your conclusion?

Well, since my iPad Air 2 got another year to live I'm in no rush to get a new iPad for now.
    (I will be installing iPadOS15 on it when it ships).

• Given where the apps capabilities / app store / market is I doubt I will get anything more than the base model for a long time. (Plus headphone jack, whoot! Wonder how long that lasts on the base model?)

• So did they already announce Logic Pro for iOS?

• @brambos said:
    So did they already announce Logic Pro for iOS?

LOL, Nope! :sunglasses:

• wimwim
    edited June 2021

@Samu said:

@ervin said:

>

Well, since my iPad Air 2 got another year to live I'm in no rush to get a new iPad for now.
    (I will be installing iPadOS15 on it when it ships).

Dumb. Really dumb. Best to wait a month or two.

Seriously. It ain't the same as when a device is only a year or two old. When a model is at the very end of the age spectrum for an update, the odds of it being "one update too far" are very good.

On the other hand ... supposedly it'll be possible to downgrade again to 14 if needed. So maybe it's OK now. I'm honestly surprised and genuinely pleased to have read that about iOS 15.

I'm in a little different situation. I'm on 13.7 and not budging until the issues are resolved with 14 (or 15), so downgrade from 15 isn't an option for me.

• wimwim
    edited June 2021

@brambos said:
    So did they already announce Logic Pro for iOS?

Yup. And Xcode will be iOS only as of iOS 15. They weren't clear whether they'll make Xcode universal so that you will be able run the iOS version on a Mac if you really want to.

• @wim said:

>

Dumb. Really dumb. Best to wait a month or two.

Seriously. It ain't the same as when a device is only a year or two old. When a model is at the very end of the age spectrum for an update, the odds of it being "one update too far" are very good.

Apart from a handful of times when AUv3's disappeared (can't even remember the last time it happened!) 14.x has been really nice on my iPad Air 2 for my needs. I'm not experiencing the 'crackling audio' that some users with 'Pro iPads' or more recent iPads experience. (I would have gone totally bonkers if that would have happened to me).

So yeah, I will be installing iPadOS15 on the Air 2 when it drops...
    ...it's not like my entire life depends on a working iPad.

So a glitch here or there is not the end of the world :sunglasses:
    (And someone has to be able to test the apps and report back to the devs in case something goes south).

Cheers!

• edited June 2021

Lots of disappointments’ everywhere it seems…

Look on the bright side, Apple just allow us to save thousands bucks. 😀

• wimwim
    edited June 2021

It's not the glitches I'm concerned about at this stage. It's the high chance that all the fluff they add to the OS will slow it down to unusability on the borderline hardware. I'm not talking about audio glitches here, but general responsiveness.

I went one update too far on my iPad 2, turning a perfectly usable iPad into a paperweight. Not gonna do that again. But, at least this time they left an escape route.

I just can't understand people's need to get the newest features on day 1. Even if they were exciting features needing to have them on release rather than waiting a month or two is incomprehensible to me. But that's just me. To each his own. B)

All I can say is I'm very thankful I waited on iOS 14. There's not a single new feature there that I care about. I thought I'd have made the jump by now but Apple still hasn't gotten their shit together. Oh well. I've lost nothing.

• I’m telling myself the WWDC reveal is always underwhelming and the actual release event is when they’ll announce something worthy of the specs on this thing. Gonna keep telling myself that until it happens.

Oh, and if I hear one more person on those videos call it “dub dub” I’m flying out to SF, tracking them down and sticking this this iPad somewhere awful.

• @drcongo said:

Oh, and if I hear one more person on those videos call it “dub dub” I’m flying out to SF, tracking them down and sticking this this iPad somewhere awful.

At least they're not calling it 'Wub Wub' or 'WeeWeeDeeCee' :D

• @Samu said:

@drcongo said:

At least they're not calling it 'Wub Wub' or 'WeeWeeDeeCee' :D

Awesome :D. WeeWeeDeeCee is going to be my name for it from now on. I hate the dub dub thing, but it's more of a dev thing than it is an Apple thing. Like any big trade show, it's developed a culture of its own.

• @Jeezs said:
    Lots of disappointments’ everywhere it seems…

Look on the bright side, Apple just allow us to save thousands bucks. 😀

Haha. Listen, I’ve followed Apple’s ups and downs from the very beginning. There have been crybabies screaming the company is going downhill from the start. They’re not going to suddenly go out of business and the opinions of YouTubers aren’t particularly important.

• jesus, that's really disgusting. youtube is ruined!

• Here's what I'm thinking after watching the stuff yesterday and several of the sessions today. The thing that might actually be a big deal in the end for musicians is SharePlay, or more to the point, the underlying frameworks that make it possible. There's all sorts of potential for collaborative applications for musicians and other creatives here.

The biggest unintended consequences award goes to the announcement about Swift Playgrounds. With all the pressure Apple is under from watchdogs around the world right now about Apple not having any special status about what they allow on the App Store, I can easily see this forcing their hand to having to allow other full development platforms on iPadOS. Which, if nothing else, might open up possibilities for open source software on the iPad.

One of the things I want in both iOS and macOS is a presentation mode. The new notifications stuff might work out to be just that. It could end up being the most important thing for "pro" use of iPads that was announced.

General observations:
    "Tech press" and the weird situation of covid on WWDC has made for some pretty strange takes on Apple and what they do. It's the first time I think I've ever seen people complaining that their machines are too powerful.

The M1 is the chip that Apple designed for sticking in the Mac Mini, bottom level iMac, base MacBook, and MacBook Air that they consider to be the machines for running iMovie, GarageBand, Photos, Numbers, Keynote, and Pages. Apple hasn't released the processors or the computers that they target at Final Cut or Logic. Yes, the bottom level machines are now able to run Logic and Final Cut better than they ever have been able to before. But my interpretation of that situation is that this means Apple can now do a whole lot more with those programs than they are now. Why would they let putting them on the iPad hold back what they can do with them on the pro level Macs?

• @Samu said:

Shh, don’t tell Apple this 😳

• wimwim
    edited June 2021

@GrimLucky said:

@Samu said:

He's in denial. If he needs his update fix on day zero then he's an addict for sure. 😉

• @wim said:

@GrimLucky said:

@Samu said:

He's in denial. If he needs his update fix on day zero then he's an addict for sure. 😉

😁
    Actually, I was thinking I’ll update to 15 but I’m happy with my iPhone 8+ and I recently got an M1 Mac mini which flies when running Ableton, so I’m not feeling the urge for anything new right now - it probably won’t last.