Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The WWDC 2021 Thread! Post your Predictions, Wishes, Updates & More!

Comments

• edited June 2021

with universal control is quite logical (haha) to have some sort of watered down versions of pro apps. imagine... you just tap on that midi clip and draaaaaaaag it to you desktop. i really think they are coming. i think apple will return to ipad pros and pro audience in different circumstances, not during health apps demos.

• @wim said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@wim said:
    I assume a paid developer account will be needed to publish.

I thought all iOS developer accounts are paid for (something like 99/year). Did they change it?

Yes, that was my point.

You can use Playgrounds to develop apps on the iPad, but a $99 per year developer account would be needed to publish to the App Store or Test Flight.

Today you can develop apps to your heart's content in Xcode on MacOS without a developer account. You can even install them on your own devices for testing purposes. But publishing them to the App Store or TestFlight requires a yearly developer account subscription.

I was referring to the developer tools for iOS in the developer portal. I thought there was stuff in there (not xcode) that was only accessible through a paid account.

• edited June 2021

Kind of feeble, no? I mean, an average week of @White product announcements combined with a few peeks at the appslice price drop page offers about three magnitudes more excitement than this.

Full disclosure, I'm only here for the music making, so I consider both Mac and iOS necessary evils, even at the best of (crackle-free) times. Still, boasting of "widgets on the home screen" in 2021? 😢

• @krassmann said:

Can’t wait to use the M1 iPad to share stuff with the cool share stuff feature.
    Hmmm 🤔 feeling like they sold me a Mercedes 600 and let me drive the backyard up and down.
    Let’s see what comes up in these sessions and news in next days

😂😂😂 that nails it. Thinking about selling my locked up 600 and buy the Mercedes van (MacBook) instead. 🤔

Haha, glad you liked it. Yeah let’s cross fingers for some nice surprises later this week. It’s interesting that Prosser came up with these „I am 100% convinced Logic is coming…“

So what at the end of the day we code our own pro level apps on the swift playground then… bahamba

• @ervin said:
    Kind of feeble, no? I mean, an average week of @White product announcements combined with a few peeks at the appslice price drop page offers about three magnitudes more excitement than this.

Full disclosure, I'm only here for the music making, so I consider both Mac and iOS necessary evils, even at the best of (crackle-free) times. Still, boasting of "widgets on the home screen" in 2021? 😢

🙌👆✅

• wimwim
    edited June 2021

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@wim said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@wim said:
    I assume a paid developer account will be needed to publish.

I thought all iOS developer accounts are paid for (something like 99/year). Did they change it?

Yes, that was my point.

You can use Playgrounds to develop apps on the iPad, but a $99 per year developer account would be needed to publish to the App Store or Test Flight.

Today you can develop apps to your heart's content in Xcode on MacOS without a developer account. You can even install them on your own devices for testing purposes. But publishing them to the App Store or TestFlight requires a yearly developer account subscription.

I was referring to the developer tools for iOS in the developer portal. I thought there was stuff in there (not xcode) that was only accessible through a paid account.

I've never come across anything that was limited access for a non-paid developer account other than signing certificates (these are limited in number over some number of days), and publishing to Test Flight and the App Store. I could be wrong, but in my several months of intensive exploration I never came across any limitations at all.

• edited June 2021

I really wouldn't know. My coding skill are worse than I thought. I can't even get my app to spell "Hello World!" correctly....
    I left off somewhere around:

10 print "Hello Werld";
    20 goto 10
    30 end

• Damned disappointing that there was no discussion of improvements to the Files app, such as being able to see operation progress, see external drive capacity etc.

• wimwim
    edited June 2021

@sch said:
    Damned disappointing that there was no discussion of improvements to the Files app, such as being able to see operation progress, see external drive capacity etc.

That's the kind of thing that would be in a developer session probably. If there are dialogs and code that developers can call for that kind of thing, they'd be talked about there.

But yeh, files app ain't a priority. In the full text of the os features, the word "file" only comes up twice. Neither in context of the files app.

Apple would prefer that they didn't even need to have a files app. What they do provide to remain "competitive" is begrudging at best. That's just a reality I try to accept as a tradeoff for all the things I do love about iOS for music making.

• @sch said:
    Damned disappointing that there was no discussion of improvements to the Files app, such as being able to see operation progress, see external drive capacity etc.

No mention of it but they did make some changes

• McDMcD
    edited June 2021

One encouraging take away for me:

Spatial audio

I assume this requires Apple headphones that support the 3D effect and this is a component of a VR/AR roadmap. But the possible win for us might be the reduction in wireless bandwidth to keep the effect closer to reality than the typical Bluetooth headphone experience that is anything BUT real-time. There’s a Bluetooth profile that reduces latency called AptX that Apple has never supported on IOS or MacOS. But it helps make wireless BT useable at less than 30 Msec latencies.

So sessions on spatial audio might disclose any changes in wireless latency. Who want some $500 headphones?

If the solution is standardized we might have cheaper options that just improve latency for music and do not process 3D locations. That would be nice.

• @yug said:

@NeuM said:

@wim said:

@yug said:
    By the way, looks like one will be able to publish apps with it:

Well, well, well. That is a surprise! Maybe there will be other things in there that I didn't expect as well. B)

That's a case where I couldn't be more happy to be wrong. I doubt that anything serious, especially not audio apps, will be developed that way, but it could be lots of fun for some things. I assume a paid developer account will be needed to publish.

Federighi said one would be able to develop on an iPad and push apps to the App Store, unless I completely misheard him.

Let’s wait for more info on this. It may not be what it seems :) I have a feeling Xcode Cloud will be required to build the app and then TestFlight to run it.

Yes, we will need more information on this. My impression was that Xcode Cloud was only a solution for dev teams. The modern iPad Pro is more than powerful enough to compete with a laptop.

• @yug said:

@yug said:

@NeuM said:

@wim said:

@yug said:
    By the way, looks like one will be able to publish apps with it:

Well, well, well. That is a surprise! Maybe there will be other things in there that I didn't expect as well. B)

That's a case where I couldn't be more happy to be wrong. I doubt that anything serious, especially not audio apps, will be developed that way, but it could be lots of fun for some things. I assume a paid developer account will be needed to publish.

Federighi said one would be able to develop on an iPad and push apps to the App Store, unless I completely misheard him.

Let’s wait for more info on this. It may not be what it seems :) I have a feeling Xcode Cloud will be required to build the app and then TestFlight to run it.

Though they did say “build and submit right from the iPad”

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021/06/apple-introduces-new-developer-tools-and-technologies-to-create-even-better-apps/

Swift Playgrounds is a great way to learn to code right on a Mac or iPad. With Swift Playgrounds 4, coming later this year, users will be able to create the visual design of an app with SwiftUI. App projects can be opened and edited in Swift Playgrounds or in Xcode, and when they’re ready, users can build a real app and submit it directly to the App Store right from their iPad.

Yeah, that’s what I thought. Now, how complex or big that app is obviously going to be a factor, but I’m sure we’ll quickly hear from developers what is and is not possible.

• edited June 2021

@wim said:
    Which brings up a likely scenario. A non-developer dips their toes into developing on iOS and comes up with a cute little app that they get excited enough about publishing it to get a developer account. To their surprise they make no more than some pocket change with their creation. Next year they lose interest or realize they'll never recover their yearly subscription through app sales, so they let it lapse. The app disappears from the App Store.

I could see this happening often. We think we see it too often with music apps, but I think that's nothing next to what this could bring.

Not being negative here. I applaud the new development. I can't help but project out the future though.

I see this as a brilliant move from Apple's perspective. This is enough to grab the attention of would-be developers. Enough to get them interested, enough to entice some into a paid developer account, not enough to develop beyond simple apps, just enough to entice them to get a Mac. Apple wins either way. Would-be developers win with an low entry point in which to discover whether app development is for them.

That's been the goal and promise of Playgrounds from the beginning. It's just not been very effective IMO up to this point.

You’re seeing the downside. I’m seeing the upside.

A new developer could code a clever app and also make a lot of money. Or they get the experience they need from coding a series of smaller apps to realize they want to make it a hobby or career choice.

It really comes down to skill, timing and getting the word out with apps now.

• @YZJustDatGuy said:

@sch said:

No mention of it but they did make some changes

Awesome! Very nice. That’s the kind of refinement that doesn’t need to be mentioned in a keynote unless you want to put your audience to sleep, but it’s very welcome for users.

• wimwim
    edited June 2021

I wouldn't call my post "seeing the downside" I mentioned one possible downside followed by of a bunch of positives.

I will stick by my prediction 100% that developing music apps, especially AUv3 apps won't be practical in this alone. Apps will most likely be simple. That's not a negative either. It's a low barrier to entry enticement as Playgrounds was always meant to be, but wasn't all that good at before.

• From looking at the state of the platform and what I can see of the new API's, the building of apps on the iPad happens on the device, can upload apps to app store connect for release and TestFlight, does require a dev account. The big limitation is that it appears to be limited to Swift and SwiftUI only. That makes for some pretty narrow possibilities.

It's a start, but only a start.

It looks like I didn't get the thing I wanted either. There is a new SDK for doing audio drivers in user space, but everything I see says it is macOS only. Maybe it'll come later, but not for now at least.

• I hate to admit that, but there where several things that I may like in the future iPadOS!
    I even thought about installing the beta on one iPad.

• @NeonSilicon said:
    From looking at the state of the platform and what I can see of the new API's, the building of apps on the iPad happens on the device, can upload apps to app store connect for release and TestFlight, does require a dev account. The big limitation is that it appears to be limited to Swift and SwiftUI only. That makes for some pretty narrow possibilities.

It looks like I didn't get the thing I wanted either. There is a new SDK for doing audio drivers in user space, but everything I see says it is macOS only. Maybe it'll come later, but not for now at least.

I don’t know if this would be a valid suggestion or not, but it could be an interesting programming challenge to see how much of a usable app you could create only using an iPad Pro?

• edited June 2021

No matter what happens later this year, since the release of the original and up until now —iPad Pro has closely resembled a scam.

• @realdawei said:
    No matter what happens later this year, since the release of the original and up until now —iPad Pro has closely resembled a scam.

LOL. I don’t know what in the world you’re talking about. Just follow Federico Viticci on Twitter for evidence to the contrary. Your claim is utterly baseless.

• Im still waiting for them to (re)implement the Tap to drag feature with the trackpad. I don’t know why they deleted this feature (it was there once in a beta but never got released) it is a pain that if you want to drag something you have to hold the trackpad clicked down. This is so unconvinient :(.

• @NeuM said:

@NeonSilicon said:
    From looking at the state of the platform and what I can see of the new API's, the building of apps on the iPad happens on the device, can upload apps to app store connect for release and TestFlight, does require a dev account. The big limitation is that it appears to be limited to Swift and SwiftUI only. That makes for some pretty narrow possibilities.

I don’t know if this would be a valid suggestion or not, but it could be an interesting programming challenge to see how much of a usable app you could create only using an iPad Pro?

It depends on what other libraries are there, but you might even be able to get away doing some MIDI applications. It'd be interesting to see, but I really don't like SwiftUI.

• @NeonSilicon said:

@NeuM said:

@NeonSilicon said:

It depends on what other libraries are there, but you might even be able to get away doing some MIDI applications. It'd be interesting to see, but I really don't like SwiftUI.

Are you a hardcore C++ programmer?

• @NeuM said:

@realdawei said:

LOL. I don’t know what in the world you’re talking about. Just follow Federico Viticci on Twitter for evidence to the contrary. Your claim is utterly baseless.

“Utterly baseless” is a bit harsh…lol and I follow Federico and all the usual protagonists.

iPadOS = ok
    iPad Pro as of now -resembles- a scam

• edited June 2021

@realdawei said:

@NeuM said:

@realdawei said:

“Utterly baseless” is a bit harsh…lol and I follow Federico and all the usual protagonists.

iPadOS = ok

The iPad Pro is my favorite computer I’ve ever owned. And I’ve owned a lot of them. Is it different from a Mac? Yes. I don’t care.

• wimwim
    edited June 2021

@NeuM said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@NeuM said:

@NeonSilicon said:

You don't need to be to dislike SwiftUI.

It has it's upsides, but several useful aspects parts of the previous UIKit haven't made it to Swift yet. I dither between the two of them. UIKit can get confusing fast, but SwiftUI is cumbersome in different ways.

I've never even tried to do UI in C++ and I can't say I'm fond of SwiftUI either.

• @NeuM said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@NeuM said:

@NeonSilicon said:

:D No. There's a thread on here somewhere where I mention how much I hate C++. I do actually like Swift. What I don't like is SwiftUI.

• @NeuM said:

@realdawei said:

@NeuM said:

@realdawei said:

iPadOS = ok

The iPad Pro is my favorite computer I’ve ever owned. And I’ve owned a lot of them.

Congratulations 🍾🎈🎉

• @realdawei said:

@NeuM said:

@realdawei said:

iPadOS = ok

Waiting for an explanation.