Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The WWDC 2021 Thread! Post your Predictions, Wishes, Updates & More!

Comments

• wimwim
    edited June 2021

@ipadbeatmaking said:

That was never gonna happen at WWDC. WWDC is for developers - to showcase new possibilities open to make money developing for the Apple platform. Announcing a competition crushing app like Logic would just be a kick in the balls.

Lol 😂 😂 😂

I was dead serious though. I've been saying this for months. I never understood the insistence by the ever hopeful that this was a possibility for WWDC. It never was.

Neither was "Xcode for iOS" - unless interpreted in a very limited sense. I suspect anything along those lines will be in the form of a beefed up Playgrounds. That would actually be very cool. But I don't believe it will be something that one could use to actually build publishable apps. And it absolutely won't be a full replacement for MacOS Xcode. That would make no sense at all.

[edit ... I was right, Playgrounds has been expanded to include SwiftUI. It's still just a place to learn and try out coding, not an app development platform.]

• Can’t wait to use the M1 iPad to share stuff with the cool share stuff feature.
    Hmmm 🤔 feeling like they sold me a Mercedes 600 and let me drive the backyard up and down.
    Let’s see what comes up in these sessions and news in next days

• @yug said:
    New features in:

Wow, iPhone SE 1st gen will support iOS 15. Totally unexpected

• Looking forward to hear opinions from smarties, but to me it’s the 2nd major release with 0 usable additions. Back to you Tim...

• Guess my iPad Air 2 get's to live another year :)

iPadOS is compatible with these devices.
    Learn more about iPad
    iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation)
    iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation)
    iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation)
    iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation)
    iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation)
    iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation)
    iPad Pro 12.9-inch (2nd generation)
    iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st generation)
    iPad Pro 10.5-inch
    iPad Pro 9.7-inch
    iPad (8th generation)
    iPad (7th generation)
    iPad (6th generation)
    iPad (5th generation)
    iPad mini (5th generation)
    iPad mini 4
    iPad Air (4th generation)
    iPad Air (3rd generation)
    iPad Air 2

https://www.apple.com/ipados/ipados-preview/

• @Samu said:

@hansjbs said:
    Welp that was weak!

Yeah, the more interesting stuff will be in the sessions.
    State Of The Union should be a bit more in-depth later today...
    https://developer.apple.com/wwdc21/sessions/

Still not getting my hopes up but thanks

• wimwim
    edited June 2021

@Samu said:
    Guess my iPad Air 2 get's to live another year :)

iPadOS is compatible with these devices.
    Learn more about iPad
    iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation)
    iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation)
    iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation)
    iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation)
    iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation)
    iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation)
    iPad Pro 12.9-inch (2nd generation)
    iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st generation)
    iPad Pro 10.5-inch
    iPad Pro 9.7-inch
    iPad (8th generation)
    iPad (7th generation)
    iPad (6th generation)
    iPad (5th generation)
    iPad mini (5th generation)
    iPad mini 4
    iPad Air (4th generation)
    iPad Air (3rd generation)
    iPad Air 2

https://www.apple.com/ipados/ipados-preview/

Brings a conundrum for those of us hanging on to 13.7 until Apple fixes the disappearing AU's and potential audio glitches. No way I'm upgrading to 15 until there are 4-6 months of confirmation these have been fixed and no new issues are there. This timeframe used to be a month or two, but it took much longer for things to begin to be noticed with 14. I don't like staying so far down-rev, but I'm not budging from 13.7 until the coast is definitely clear.

At least in 15 there are a few useful improvements that I'm interested in (mainly in the task switcher and split screen, universal control, and SwiftUI support in Playgrounds). 14 has not one thing in it that I care about.

I will never make the "one OS version too far" mistake again, at least not for my beloved workhorse Air 2.

• @wim said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

That was never gonna happen at WWDC. WWDC is for developers - to showcase new possibilities open to make money developing for the Apple platform. Announcing a competition crushing app like Logic would just be a kick in the balls.

Lol 😂 😂 😂

I was dead serious though. I've been saying this for months. I never understood the insistence by the ever hopeful that this was a possibility for WWDC. It never was.

Neither was "Xcode for iOS" - unless interpreted in a very limited sense. I suspect anything along those lines will be in the form of a beefed up Playgrounds. That would actually be very cool. But I don't believe it will be something that one could use to actually build publishable apps. And it absolutely won't be a full replacement for MacOS Xcode. That would make no sense at all.

Very cool indeed. Hope it will be powerful enough for developing small simple apps and maybe replacing apps like Scriptable, etc.

By the way, looks like one will be able to publish apps with it:

• wimwim
    edited June 2021

@yug said:

Well, well, well. That is a surprise! Maybe there will be other things in there that I didn't expect as well. B)

That's a case where I couldn't be more happy to be wrong. I doubt that anything serious, especially not audio apps, will be developed that way, but it could be lots of fun for some things. I assume a paid developer account will be needed to publish.

• tjatja
    edited June 2021

Without reading the messages or watching the video yet, I have a question:

The App Store mentioned the WWDC Keynote to me.
    This again pointed me to the Apple Developer App.

But this App offers "Discover" and the "Watch the Keynote" and there an image and another menu:

For the death of me, I cannot get the App to play a Video.

What am I doing wrong?!?
    :o :o :o

EDIT: I get the impression, that there is not keynote yet, so the recommendation from the App Store was simply re-mature and I need to wait?

• Interesting…

Software Updates
    iPadOS now offers a choice between two software update versions in the Settings app. You can update to the latest version of iPadOS 15 as soon as it’s released for the latest features and most complete set of security updates. Or continue on iPadOS 14 and still get important security updates until you’re ready to upgrade to the next major version.

• edited June 2021

Looks like iPadOS 15 safari will be getting extensions. That could be fun. The only other new feature in that list that made me read twice was.. built in background sounds. Wouldn't mind some rain or forest noise as I scroll reddit haha.

• edited June 2021

@tja said:
    What am I doing wrong?!?

Is the Developer app up to date? Mine looks different from yours.
    Alternatively, the keynote is available on YouTube:

• No hardware or music-related announcements, but I have to mention that being able to actually write an app on the iPad now is going to be huge.

• Without reading the messages or watching the video yet, I have a question:

The App Store mentioned the WWDC> @blakkaz said:

@tja said:
    What am I doing wrong?!?

Is the Developer app up to date? Mine looks different from yours.
    Alternatively, the keynote is available on YouTube:

Yes, all Apps at newest version ...

Thanks for the link!

• edited June 2021

@wim said:

@yug said:

Well, well, well. That is a surprise! Maybe there will be other things in there that I didn't expect as well. B)

That's a case where I couldn't be more happy to be wrong. I doubt that anything serious, especially not audio apps, will be developed that way, but it could be lots of fun for some things. I assume a paid developer account will be needed to publish.

Federighi said one would be able to develop on an iPad and push apps to the App Store, unless I completely misheard him.

• edited June 2021

that's welcomed :)

@yug said:
    Interesting…

Software Updates

iPadOS now offers a choice between two software update versions in the Settings app. You can update to the latest version of iPadOS 15 as soon as it’s released for the latest features and most complete set of security updates. Or continue on iPadOS 14 and still get important security updates until you’re ready to upgrade to the next major version.

It's the gradual trickling of features which is annoying, but I guess they don't let rip on ipadOS in case it will encroach on mac sales.
    waves fist at sharehodlers

• @wim said:
    I assume a paid developer account will be needed to publish.

I thought all iOS developer accounts are paid for (something like 99/year). Did they change it?

• @NeuM said:
    No hardware or music-related announcements, but I have to mention that being able to actually write an app on the iPad now is going to be huge.

If you've ever tried Playgrounds, you'll have a pretty healthy amount of skepticism about this. It's painfully slow to type in. It's a pain to do any serious coding in just one window at a time, etc. But if they improve the responsiveness, it could be lots of fun for relatively simple things.

The main thing missing before was any kind of UI visualization. Adding SwiftUI is a big deal, and much welcomed.

I'll be surprised beyond all measure if it would be capable of ... say ... developing an AUv3 audio app.

• edited June 2021

@Carnbot said:
    that's welcomed :)

@yug said:
    Interesting…

Software Updates

It's the gradual trickling of features which is annoying, but I guess they don't let rip on ipadOS in case it will encroach on mac sales.
    waves fist at sharehodlers

You mean like letting an cellular ipad make a phone call? (not exactly computer related, but sharing features related)
    Also, Apple stock it legit the best product Apple sells.

• edited June 2021

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@wim said:

I thought all iOS developer accounts are paid for (something like 99/year). Did they change it?

No. It’s the same. One cannot sell an app without a paid developer account. But it’s free to mess around with the software until a developer is ready to sign up.

• wimwim
    edited June 2021

@NeuM said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@wim said:

No. It’s the same. One cannot sell an app without a paid developer account. But it’s free to mess around with the software until a developer is ready to sign up.

That is true for TestFlight as well.

I wonder, though, if you can publish on your own devices for testing purposes without a developer account as you can on MacOS today. I hope you can and aren't limited to running the app inside Playgrounds.

• edited June 2021

@NeuM said:

@wim said:

@yug said:

Federighi said one would be able to develop on an iPad and push apps to the App Store, unless I completely misheard him.

Let’s wait for more info on this. It may not be what it seems :) I have a feeling Xcode Cloud will be required to build the app and then TestFlight to run it.

• wimwim
    edited June 2021

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@wim said:

Yes, that was my point.

You can use Playgrounds to develop apps on the iPad, but a $99 per year developer account would be needed to publish to the App Store or Test Flight.

Today you can develop apps to your heart's content in Xcode on MacOS without a developer account. You can even install them on your own devices for testing purposes. But publishing them to the App Store or TestFlight requires a yearly developer account subscription.

• Don't know if Henny does this for click-baits or he's just impatient?!

(And I though I'm was, Grumpy).

I mean the 'tech sessions' come later during the week with the stuff developers can use to brighten our days :)

• 30 minutes to 'State of The Union' after that I'll get some sleep...

Cheers!

• @Samu said:
    Don't know if Henny does this for click-baits or he's just impatient?!

(And I though I'm was, Grumpy).

I mean the 'tech sessions' come later during the week with the stuff developers can use to brighten our days :)

I think they really hyped these new ipads up without any justification. I have an Air 3 and I can do anything with it. M1 ipads are overkill. They cost as much as macs and do significantly less. If I was in the market, I would spring for a 2015 macbook pro tbh. They are still upgradeable and have enough power for music production and video editing.

• Which brings up a likely scenario. A non-developer dips their toes into developing on iOS and comes up with a cute little app that they get excited enough about publishing it to get a developer account. To their surprise they make no more than some pocket change with their creation. Next year they lose interest or realize they'll never recover their yearly subscription through app sales, so they let it lapse. The app disappears from the App Store.

I could see this happening often. We think we see it too often with music apps, but I think that's nothing next to what this could bring.

Not being negative here. I applaud the new development. I can't help but project out the future though.

I see this as a brilliant move from Apple's perspective. This is enough to grab the attention of would-be developers. Enough to get them interested, enough to entice some into a paid developer account, not enough to develop beyond simple apps, just enough to entice them to get a Mac. Apple wins either way. Would-be developers win with an low entry point in which to discover whether app development is for them.

That's been the goal and promise of Playgrounds from the beginning. It's just not been very effective IMO up to this point.

• @yug said:

@NeuM said:

@wim said:

@yug said:

Let’s wait for more info on this. It may not be what it seems :) I have a feeling Xcode Cloud will be required to build the app and then TestFlight to run it.

Though they did say “build and submit right from the iPad”

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021/06/apple-introduces-new-developer-tools-and-technologies-to-create-even-better-apps/

Swift Playgrounds is a great way to learn to code right on a Mac or iPad. With Swift Playgrounds 4, coming later this year, users will be able to create the visual design of an app with SwiftUI. App projects can be opened and edited in Swift Playgrounds or in Xcode, and when they’re ready, users can build a real app and submit it directly to the App Store right from their iPad.

• edited June 2021

Can’t wait to use the M1 iPad to share stuff with the cool share stuff feature.
    Hmmm 🤔 feeling like they sold me a Mercedes 600 and let me drive the backyard up and down.
    Let’s see what comes up in these sessions and news in next days

😂😂😂 that nails it. Thinking about selling my locked up 600 and buy the Mercedes van (MacBook) instead. 🤔