Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Remap from mmc to cc?

I have an original alesis iodock whose foot-control input is hard-wired for start-stop (and a limited number of apps seem even to respond to that). I would love to be able to remap that to cc 64. Ideas?

Comments

• @jeffry said:
    I have an original alesis iodock whose foot-control input is hard-wired for start-stop (and a limited number of apps seem even to respond to that). I would love to be able to remap that to cc 64. Ideas?

Streambyter or Mozaic can be used to translate any midi event to any other MIDI event.

• Thanks for the tip! Any idea of how the streambyter script would look? I searched on audeonic for clues. I tried to adapt what he offered for mmc to note-on, but my limited understanding netted errors. I also could not get the midi monitor window to reflect any of the midi messages that the midi wrench app had no problem displaying.

• @jeffry said:
    Thanks for the tip! Any idea of how the streambyter script would look? I searched on audeonic for clues. I tried to adapt what he offered for mmc to note-on, but my limited understanding netted errors. I also could not get the midi monitor window to reflect any of the midi messages that the midi wrench app had no problem displaying.

What are the incoming midi commands you are trying to remap?

What host are you running streambyter in?

With no script running streambyter' monitor will show the incoming MIDI. Post a screenshot of what events it is receiving.

If it isn't showing something you see in MIDI Wrench, it may mean something wasn't routed correctly in your host.

It would be useful to see what MIDI Wrench displays, too.

If you had a script that didn't work, post it along with the error text.

• edited June 2021

MIDI Status messages:
    0xFA = Start
    0xFB = Continue
    0xFC = Stop
    0xF8 = MIDI clock pulse

CC message:
    0xBn (CC number) (CC value), with n=channel from 0..15

In Streambyter, translating START to CC#7, value 127 and STOP to CC#7, value 0 on MIDI channel 1 should look like this:
    FA = B0 07 7F
    FC = B0 07 00

Change "B0" to a different value for a different channel, "BF" would be channel 16.

If the message from the io Dock is a toggle, you'll need a bit more coding.
    I can recommend the "StreamByter University", somewhat hard to get into but useful in all kinds of MIDI scenarios:
    https://audeonic.boards.net/board/14/university

The good thing with StreamByter is that for such simple translations, you can enter the hex values like they're usually listed in the many available MIDI message references.

• Thanks for your ideas and offer to continue helping me through this process! I assume the io-dock is toggling because in midiwrench I see "start" on first press and "stop" on the second. The numbers that appear in the line before each "stop" or "start" change to something different every time [e.g. 20:43:08.662] so they don't appear to constitute a midi command. I will try out your suggestions when I get the chance.

• edited June 2021

@jeffry said:
    Thanks for your ideas and offer to continue helping me through this process! I assume the io-dock is toggling because in midiwrench I see "start" on first press and "stop" on the second. The numbers that appear in the line before each "stop" or "start" change to something different every time [e.g. 20:43:08.662] so they don't appear to constitute a midi command. I will try out your suggestions when I get the chance.

The numbers are time stamps. Watch your clock ;)

Thinking about it again, my suggestion was stupid, no magic code whatsoever will make a momentary switch from a toggle because the io Dock sends no separate messages for holding or releasing the pedal.

Using my suggested code, you'd have to hit the pedal twice, once for enabling and once for disabling sustain.
    Which you might be able to get used to.

• So this is turning to be more about the eccentricities of the iodock than about remapping, as I discovered when using an AirTurn footswitch with 3-conductor Jack, as opposed to the 2-conductor kurzweil damper pedal I had been using, that the midi message became a hybrid start/stop cc 64 127/0. No where does it say in the iodock documentation that this would be the case. I was able to get this message via the streambyter midi monitor window once it was hosted properly in accordance with you guidance!
    But now I’m feeling discouraged by the crackling that takes over after using midiguitar for a few minutes. This wasn't happening before. Adjusting the latency to 512k doesn’t help.

• Could you please post the exact MIDI messages sent when

• Pushing down the pedal and
    • Releasing the pedal?

I'm not sure I get what's happening in your setup.

• @jeffry said:
    So this is turning to be more about the eccentricities of the iodock than about remapping, as I discovered when using an AirTurn footswitch with 3-conductor Jack, as opposed to the 2-conductor kurzweil damper pedal I had been using, that the midi message became a hybrid start/stop cc 64 127/0. No where does it say in the iodock documentation that this would be the case. I was able to get this message via the streambyter midi monitor window once it was hosted properly in accordance with you guidance!
    But now I’m feeling discouraged by the crackling that takes over after using midiguitar for a few minutes. This wasn't happening before. Adjusting the latency to 512k doesn’t help.

Do you own the Midi Guitar IAPs?

• Do you mean did I purchase the ability to host midiguitar within Audiobus? If so, I only purchased midi output. (I had been using the Mac version of midiguitar and midibass for some years)

• Lo and behold! I found a line in the manual saying the iodock can accommodate two footswitches wired TRS, one for stop/start and the other for cc 63. Fortunately, it turns out to be cc 64.