Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Issue recording into Garageband with Audiobus (solved)

edited June 2021 in Support and Feedback

Hi, I’m a new Audiobus user but I’ve been successful using it to record into Garageband as an output until now. What’s been happening is that when I add Garageband as an output, it will cut off the sound of whatever the input app was playing in the same lane, so no sound will be playing into Garageband so of course there won’t be anything recorded when I attempt to record that input app.

Here is a screen recording to show you (sorry it’s dark, I don’t know why that happens either) what I mean. It seems all is connected right, and you’ll even see, after I record and stop, the icon of the input app shows up in the Garageband track that was supposed to record, just no sound.

screen record vid

This happens no matter what app I’ve got in the input or effect slot. Only happens with Garageband. Like I said, I’ve had no problem recording into Garageband with Audiobus until now. I have not changed any settings or anything, but I’ve checked to make sure. Monitoring is on in Garageband, I’ve retraced my steps, watched videos, read the manual, re-booted, etc.

I’m at a loss. Please help if you can.

Thanks!

Comments

• GarageBand supports Audiobus, so the way to do this is to open Audiobus, set up your instrument, then select GarageBand, Tap to launch, and go from there. Your Audiobus instrument will appear on a track in GB. You have a GB Record button in AB, so you're ready to go. Starting GB first does not work as expected.

By the way, you need to allow GB Network Access, under Settings–>Privacy.

Have you recently updated iOS? If so, what was the previous version?

• Thanks for the response @uncledave . I have two previous gen iPad minis, a 2 and a 3 (both of which can go no higher than iOS 12. This issue was happening with both of them, but without doing anything different, I got it to work on the mini 3. (Your first paragraph is pretty much how I have been setting things up).

On the mini 2, no such luck, same issue. I did actually update that one to the recent Apple update of 12.5.3. (Apple continues to update iOS 12 with security patches), while the mini 3 has not been updated to that iOS yet, still on the last version before that. So I guess maybe the 12.5.3 update could be playing a factor.

Anyway, I’m happy enough that at least one of these devices can still record in Garageband with Audiobus.

• @Pandan said:
    Thanks for the response @uncledave . I have two previous gen iPad minis, a 2 and a 3 (both of which can go no higher than iOS 12. This issue was happening with both of them, but without doing anything different, I got it to work on the mini 3. (Your first paragraph is pretty much how I have been setting things up).

On the mini 2, no such luck, same issue. I did actually update that one to the recent Apple update of 12.5.3. (Apple continues to update iOS 12 with security patches), while the mini 3 has not been updated to that iOS yet, still on the last version before that. So I guess maybe the 12.5.3 update could be playing a factor.

Anyway, I’m happy enough that at least one of these devices can still record in Garageband with Audiobus.

Coincidentally, I have an iPad Air with iOS 12.5.3. Had to download GB ("older version") 2.3.7. Had no trouble setting up the same configuration: Digital D1 in Audiobus, output to GB (Tap to launch). Worked even though I had to handle the GB welcome screens.

Maybe you just need an iPad restart to get things back to normal.

• edited June 2021

@uncledave said:

Maybe you just need an iPad restart to get things back to normal.

Had done it already, but gave that another go...no dice. BUT, I took another look at the Audiobus settings and decided to make a change. I had it at 1024 in the latency control (old, less powerful iPad and all that), and lowered it one option down to 512. That did the trick!

I know I’d changed that to the 1024 during a recent session where i had a lot of apps running in it, and no other app i’ve been using since had any problem working. But yeah, changing it to a lower latency got Garageband working again.

Anyway, thanks again for your responses! But my bad; in my OP I said I’d not changed any settings between the time I’d gotten it working and the time it stopped, but I overlooked that latency change. Sorry I did and wasted some of your time!