Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

COMING SOON from ToneBoosters

Comments

• Hoping the LFO's have uni/bi-polar LFO output (ie. 0-1 or +/-1) and not just +/- mod amount...
    ...or envelopes with a loop until key-release option. Things like that which will set it apart from the rest :)

• edited June 2021

@Samu said:
    Hoping the LFO's have uni/bi-polar LFO output (ie. 0-1 or +/-1) and not just +/- mod amount...
    ...or envelopes with a loop until key-release option. Things like that which will set it apart from the rest :)

Totally agree, I love the option to set LFOs to Unipolar, looping envelopes are also v.cool..👍

• edited June 2021

@gdog said:

@Samu said:
    Hoping the LFO's have uni/bi-polar LFO output (ie. 0-1 or +/-1) and not just +/- mod amount...

Totally agree, I love the option to set LFOs to Unipolar, looping envelopes are also v.cool..👍

Likewise +1 to both looping envelopes and uni/bi-polar lfos. Both of these features have been catching on heavily with new releases in the hardware realm (peak/summit, deepmind, polybrute, mfb synth pro..). I really see it as a glaring omission when a 'pro' synth is released without them these days (looping envelopes).

One other thing I've come to love is control over envelope curves for each stage. If that's not possible, just the option to select exponential, linear, or logarithmic envelopes is enough.

• edited June 2021

@DJB said:

@jolico said:

@Samu said:
    It will likely have at least 3 LFO's :)
    https://fb.watch/5S34BYRR8e/
    (Public Video on FB from ToneBoosters).

Sounds awesome!!!!
    💸💸💸💸💸💸💸💸

That was an early version in action - no external effects - hopefully it will give a hint of what the synth can do :-)

When will it be ready?
    This week?
    Can’t wait 😛

• @gdog said:

@Samu said:

Yea Mela 2 and Mela have those options and I really like them.

• @DJB said:

@Samu said:
    I'm pretty sure @DJB will be monitoring the threads once the app drops :) (If he isn't already...).
    We got a pre bit-crush filter implemented to TB BitJuggler a week or so after the initial release.

Indeed; always reading the discussions here with great interest :-)

Let me add one little teaser to Ali's post since there are some questions about knobs to tweak and modulation options.... Here's a little popup screen showing modulation sources for VCO waveform pulse width:

I would so much like to see cyclic envelopes. That is for me one of the best things about the MicroFreak - apart from its crazy oscillators. BTW… which iOS synth has got cyclic envelopes?

• Def in!

• @krassmann said:

@DJB said:

@Samu said:
    I'm pretty sure @DJB will be monitoring the threads once the app drops :) (If he isn't already...).
    We got a pre bit-crush filter implemented to TB BitJuggler a week or so after the initial release.

Let me add one little teaser to Ali's post since there are some questions about knobs to tweak and modulation options.... Here's a little popup screen showing modulation sources for VCO waveform pulse width:

I would so much like to see cyclic envelopes. That is for me one of the best things about the MicroFreak - apart from its crazy oscillators. BTW… which iOS synth has got cyclic envelopes?

Who knows, maybe the envelopes already have those options? :)
    And yepp, the MicroFreak's cyclic envelope is very nice!

For me an LFO with 'step-sequencer-like' user-waveform with adjustable step-to-step interpolation would be icing on the cake.
    (Ie. the steps can go from hard stepped gradually to smooth). Can't help it. I'm a chip-tune addict...

The chip-arpeggios differ from 'regular' arpeggios since the envelopes and rest of the sound is not re-triggered, just the pitch is altered, for this LFO/Mod-Seqeuncer is needed. (Here's an example in Drambo).
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/5pi3kv9x6zk6dww/DramboChipArp.MP4?dl=0

Other things would be 'decimated noise' where the pitch of the noise is controlled by the decimator frequency.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gi1nai6qthkztco/decimatednoise.mp4?dl=0
    This would create a 'pitched noise' that can be treated like a regular oscillator.

But before I get too picky I will give TB Polyphony an deep-dive when it drops...

Cheers!

• edited June 2021

@krassmann said:

@DJB said:

@Samu said:

From the top of my head, Nave, Mela, Drambo, Branches, Tera Synth. Probably many many more. I only have like 5 synths installed at the moment though so I can't check :D

• @Samu said:

@krassmann said:

@DJB said:

@Samu said:

Who knows, maybe the envelopes already have those options? :)
    And yepp, the MicroFreak's cyclic envelope is very nice!

For me an LFO with 'step-sequencer-like' user-waveform with adjustable step-to-step interpolation would be icing on the cake.
    (Ie. the steps can go from hard stepped gradually to smooth). Can't help it. I'm a chip-tune addict...

>

The chip-arpeggios differ from 'regular' arpeggios since the envelopes and rest of the sound is not re-triggered, just the pitch is altered, for this LFO/Mod-Seqeuncer is needed. (Here's an example in Drambo).
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/5pi3kv9x6zk6dww/DramboChipArp.MP4?dl=0

Other things would be 'decimated noise' where the pitch of the noise is controlled by the decimator frequency.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gi1nai6qthkztco/decimatednoise.mp4?dl=0
    This would create a 'pitched noise' that can be treated like a regular oscillator.

But before I get too picky I will give TB Polyphony an deep-dive when it drops...

Cheers!

This is a very cool idea. I would like to be able to craft LFO shapes like in Serum. I’m following a Youtuber, Yalcin Efe, who really makes great Techno technique tutorials with Ableton and he is often using this feature of Serum - very impressive. I’m trying to recreate his techniques usually with Cubasis 3 and SynthMaster One.

Anyway, the list modulators of Polyphony looks great. I expect a vast playground. Happy expations 😍😍😍

• Other ‘nice to have’ features would be to run the modulation source thru a bit & sample-rate reduction before it reaches the destination…

Think passing the source thru sample’n’hold and then optionally bit-reduce it or quantize to scale, things like that.

Any ETA on the release date?

• @Samu said:
    Other ‘nice to have’ features would be to run the modulation source thru a bit & sample-rate reduction before it reaches the destination…

Think passing the source thru sample’n’hold and then optionally bit-reduce it or quantize to scale, things like that.

I think all of our demands may delay the ETA🤣

• @jolico said:

LOL, The 'things' can always be added in an update at a later date if they make any sense...

My guess is that @DJB will ship it as soon as possible and then gather feedback from users :)

Cheers!

• @jolico said:

@Samu said:
    Other ‘nice to have’ features would be to run the modulation source thru a bit & sample-rate reduction before it reaches the destination…

LOL, this is so forum. Not Samu specifically, but in general. "Can we have it right about now, please, and is it possible to add these 37 functions that we just thought of?" :)

• @ervin said:

LOL, this is so forum. Not Samu specifically, but in general. "Can we have it right about now, please, and is it possible to add these 37 functions that we just thought of?" :)

Right on, I mean this this is what happens every time a new app surfaces...
    Over the years I've hinted about these kinds if features and just refined them over time.

Thankfully we already have tools to 'prototype' the ideas with (Drambo, miRack, SunVox, Mozaic etc.).
    So it has become a lot easier to create examples behind the ideas, not just put them down in words :)

My goal for now is to stream-line ideas so that they are as flexible and easy to use as possible.

In practice an LFO/Oscillator is a 'value table' (Think Single Cycle Waveform) that gets applied to a parameter...
    ...at very, very slow speeds it becomes a 'step sequencer' and at very high speeds it becomes an audible oscillator.

Being able to manually edit the 'value table'(Ie. draw the waveform using a 'snap grid') makes it very versatile as both a modulation source and audio source.

As for applying decimation (sample-rate reduction) and bit-reduction the output it's for creative usage.
    (As an example think about doing pulse-width modulation or filter sweep but instead of ultra-smooth sweep it's a 'stepped' sweep, that creates a bit of 'animation' to the sound).

Sorry for the 'brain-farts' :D

• @Samu said:

@ervin said:

Over the years I've hinted about these kinds if features and just refined them over time.

Thankfully we already have tools to 'prototype' the ideas with (Drambo, miRack, SunVox, Mozaic etc.).
    So it has become a lot easier to create examples behind the ideas, not just put them down in words :)

My goal for now is to stream-line ideas so that they are as flexible and easy to use as possible.

In practice an LFO/Oscillator is a 'value table' (Think Single Cycle Waveform) that gets applied to a parameter...
    ...at very, very slow speeds it becomes a 'step sequencer' and at very high speeds it becomes an audible oscillator.

Being able to manually edit the 'value table'(Ie. draw the waveform using a 'snap grid') makes it very versatile as both a modulation source and audio source.

As for applying decimation (sample-rate reduction) and bit-reduction the output it's for creative usage.
    (As an example think about doing pulse-width modulation or filter sweep but instead of ultra-smooth sweep it's a 'stepped' sweep, that creates a bit of 'animation' to the sound).

This sounds like it could be very useful actually. Hope to see it implemented in some apps in the future. I wonder if a thread where all these crowd-sourced workflow design optimisation ideas in one place can be useful for future references

• @Samu said:

@ervin said:

👍 I quite admire your methodical approach.

• @ervin said:

@Samu said:

@ervin said:

👍 I quite admire your methodical approach.

Here's a simple example in Drambo where the 'update frequency' is controlled by a Square LFO (It triggers the S&H with another LFO as the source and it's then fed to pulse-width and filter cut-off).

Both the pulse-width and filter-cutoff are get their value from the LFO at a set interval.
    As the 'update frequency' increases the sound becomes more 'animated'.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/apepvpf7zom48z1/modrate.mp4?dl=0

@DJB I don't know how frequently the new synth updates the parameters but consider the above as an example of 'creative usage' when it comes to parameter update intervals.

No worries, I'll get TB Polyphony anyway, need to have my TB collection 'complete' :D

Cheers, need to catch some zzz's now...

• @DJB said:

Thanks for this addiction. Looks like it has some hidden, not immediately visible capabilities :wink:
    Now I am curious what sounds can be created with it.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @BCKeys said:
    Is it inspired by an existing synth?

It totally looks like a classic synth concept, I think its specialty will be the sound, which depends on the algorithms used.

• Before long, ToneBoosters will be the only apps I use lol

• I’m really looking forward to this app the most of any others right now… well, Synthmaster the Next Generation looks pretty good too…

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • If it's got a super creamy filters (preferably multiple models) that can rival analog hardware synths it'll be a winner :)
    Still have not found any digital filters that beat the analog ones in the MicroFreak, UNOSynth or Volca Bass...
    ...they come close but not fully.

• The analog filters in Drambo are pretty damn incredible but yeah, I still haven’t found anything digital that beats my analog filters. The sonic character of the analog stuff just can’t seem to be beat

• Best filter I've heard on IOS is the the iVCS3 filter. Not very versatile, but damn good sounding. Otherwise, I concur with the 2 posts above :)

• @Fingolfinzz said:
    The analog filters in Drambo are pretty damn incredible but yeah, I still haven’t found anything digital that beats my analog filters. The sonic character of the analog stuff just can’t seem to be beat

Not even Moog’s Model D or Model 15? Those are two very solid apps.

• DJBDJB
    edited June 2021

Couple of features that will be available - thanks much for feedback and suggestions:

• Loopable ADSRs and envelopes
    • Unipolar LFOs
    • Great variety of non-linear filters
    • LFOs that can control the speed of LFOs (including modulating themselves!)
  • Noice! 👍😺🎸