Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

"José's Serenata (EDM Remix)" produced in Gadget, mastered in Cubasis 3

Today's feature is "José's Serenata". I originally notated this song for piano for my brother-in-law back in 1995/1996, but today we have the EDM remix once again created 95% in Gadget.

Most of the drums you hear are Recife. The acoustic fill before the drop is Gladstone. The impact sounds are Amsterdam.

In the "traditional" section of the song (the slower section in E Major), the bass guitar is Madrid, the guitar is Marseille, and the Sax is Glasgow.

In the "EDM" section of the song (the faster section in E Minor), the sub bass is Chiangmai, and for the midbass I'm using Miami. The trumpet is Glasgow, and I have two leads layered - a plucked lead and a "trance" lead. Both of these are Montpellier.

Last but not least, I have the risers. For most instances of the riser, I have Montpellier playing by itself. However, for some of the riser instances, I layered Brussels underneath Montpellier.

After mixing down into Gadget's default limiter, I exported the mix into Cubasis 3 and mastered it with the usual MagicDeathEyeStereo, BarkFilter Tripleband, and Barricade chain. That's the 5% production not done in Gadget.

Cheers and enjoy.

Comments

• Just because "EDM Remix" is in the title does not mean it's exactly like modern EDM. This track features key and BPM changes. Enjoy. :)

• I like this one, very catchy melody that easily gets stuck in the head...
    Genre mashups are always more entertaining than sticking to a 'rulebook' :)

• You’re on a roll and will have a full album of Gadget earworms within a month! :D

• @Samu said:
    I like this one, very catchy melody that easily gets stuck in the head...
    Genre mashups are always more entertaining than sticking to a 'rulebook' :)

Thanks mate. :)

Absolutely. I took more traditional Hispanic music and mashed it together with what I can only describe as EDM. Not sure what to call it otherwise, lol. It was also a great way to test out how Gadget changes tempo.

@R_2 said:
    You’re on a roll and will have a full album of Gadget earworms within a month! :D

:lol: Pretty much, lol. Or perhaps a megamix.

What's strange is that when I used Gadget 1, I actually finished tracks in it, although nothing I bothered posting to Soundcloud. When I first started using NS2, I found myself completing tracks quicker than I ever did in Gadget 1. What pushed me to NS2 was the fact that Gadget 2 was released and had its "new and improved GUI" (which was a dumpster fire at first before Korg seemingly fixed said GUI).

But then I saw that thread about "anyone else a bit sorry for ditching Gadget?" https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/45189/anyone-else-a-bit-sorry-for-ditching-gadget/p2 , I realised how much I missed it and decided to give Gadget 2 another shot. Now I'm completing tracks in THAT even quicker than in NS2. It seems easier to get a beefy sound out of Gadget 2 than NS2, and the skills I've cultivated in NS2 are transferrable over to Gadget 2.

And if you think I'm on a roll now, wait until you see what I'm creating next....Fakebit House. ;)

• This I like. Great job.
    Any thoughts on using both Nanostudio 2 and Gadget 2?

• @seonnthaproducer said:
    This I like. Great job.

Thank you mate. :)

Anyways, it all depends on what you mean by using both. You mean using both together at the same time? :) I've never actually thought about doing that to be honest, and I'm not sure how it can be done. (I heard Xequence 2 is similar to NS2's input and can hook up to Gadget 2 with Gadget 2 in Advanced MIDI Mode.)

I actually did think about using Gadget 2 with Nanostudio 2, where I'd create the loops in Gadget 2 and export them, but for me personally it's just a lot easier to use Gadget 2's internal sequencer or Xequence 2 to drive Gadget's sound into AUM for recording purposes. All depending on the music genre.

For beat-based music, it's probably a lot simpler to just program everything within Gadget 2. For Ambient and non-beat-based genres, it's probably better to do Xequence 2 -> Gadget 2 -> AUM. (Then again, I'm going to challenge myself to create an Ambient piece in Gadget 2. :lol: ) This is just my own personal take however and isn't written in stone.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@seonnthaproducer said:
    This I like. Great job.

Anyways, it all depends on what you mean by using both. You mean using both together at the same time? :) I've never actually thought about doing that to be honest, and I'm not sure how it can be done. (I heard Xequence 2 is similar to NS2's input and can hook up to Gadget 2 with Gadget 2 in Advanced MIDI Mode.)

I actually did think about using Gadget 2 with Nanostudio 2, where I'd create the loops in Gadget 2 and export them, but for me personally it's just a lot easier to use Gadget 2's internal sequencer or Xequence 2 to drive Gadget's sound into AUM for recording purposes. All depending on the music genre.

For beat-based music, it's probably a lot simpler to just program everything within Gadget 2. For Ambient and non-beat-based genres, it's probably better to do Xequence 2 -> Gadget 2 -> AUM. (Then again, I'm going to challenge myself to create an Ambient piece in Gadget 2. :lol: ) This is just my own personal take however and isn't written in stone.

I've been going through that thought process as well I made a video last year (which I wish I produced better...- https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/40739/heres-how-to-control-gadget-2-in-nanostudio-2) that involved using Gadget 2 with Nanostudio 2, but I really need to revisit it. Learnt a lot more about Gadget 2, and Nanostudio 2, and a few other apps that I need to update that video (and record in a better quality)

How do you export your project for mastering? Do you export it by individual tracks? Loops? or a single audio stem?

• @seonnthaproducer said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@seonnthaproducer said:
    This I like. Great job.

I've been going through that thought process as well I made a video last year (which I wish I produced better...- https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/40739/heres-how-to-control-gadget-2-in-nanostudio-2) that involved using Gadget 2 with Nanostudio 2, but I really need to revisit it. Learnt a lot more about Gadget 2, and Nanostudio 2, and a few other apps that I need to update that video (and record in a better quality)

How do you export your project for mastering? Do you export it by individual tracks? Loops? or a single audio stem?

For me, if the mixdown sounds passable in Gadget 2, I usually just export the whole track and master it in Cubasis 3 with my usual mastering chain. https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/960490/#Comment_960490 If I can't get a mix under control in Gadget 2 (which is rarer these days since I know what I'm doing better than before), then I export individual tracks and mixdown in Cubasis 3. Like I said, I considered doing loops to use in Nanostudio 2 in the past, but I stopped using Gadget when it went to version 2 because I used to hate the GUI. (The first version of Gadget 2's GUI was shite. Now it's fine and easy on the eyes, better than Gadget 1's GUI.)

That's a great video by the way. :) I can't wait to see the updated version.

• I like it. Very energetic. 👍