Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Help me diagnose the problem! Weird iPad noise…

Hey everyone! My straightforward setup has randomly developed a noise problem, this weird digital fried sound. Does anyone recognize it? It’s in the first part of this video I uploaded…

This started happening during the last two updates, and I’m on the latest update now. iPad Pro 2020 12.9, nothing is clipping in/out and nothing is overloaded as far as I can tell. Did something happen with the last two updates? This is happening with many different sims and on clean sounds.

A few weeks ago my iPad had screen on and just sat around losing battery and died. I didn’t plug it in for a week. Once I charged it and started playing in AUM and with amp sims standalone, after 3-5 minutes this random digital fried sound started creeping in, especially on trails after playing a chord. At first I thought it was my motu M4, or then the white Apple usbc-usbc cable that connects motu to iPad. A few days later I switched interfaces to apogee jam plus, with its own micro usb usbc cable, and after 10 minutes the problem came back. Using the the same guitar and cable. Both interfaces bus powered and iPad not charging, the power strip is completely turned off, so no nearby interference as far as I can tell. What kind of interference is this?? Something inside the iPad, something with iPad and interface communicating? I have tested all the possibilities, and based on process of elimination it can only be the iPad or my guitar/cable. If I change sample rates the problem goes away and comes back. I think there’s something going on with the processing on the iPad, maybe it’s conversion hiccups or something else. I’m weary to start a project because this thing keeps coming back out of nowhere, and it’s frustrating. There’s nothing different about my set up and parameters from previous trouble free years. It seems like a processing hiccup. Thanks for your help!

Comments

• This started for me on 14.5 same thing. What I recently did was to delete the apps it was doing that in, reboot and reloaded them.

It seems to be stopped now.

• @bobbyj8866 said:
    This started for me on 14.5 same thing. What I recently did was to delete the apps it was doing that in, reboot and reloaded them.

It seems to be stopped now.

Thanks! Glad I’m not the only one, also started for me on 14.5, about 5-10 minutes into every session. At least this hopefully means my iPad is healthy.

• That's odd! I just want to mention, if you'd like to try removing and restoring your apps, and don't want to lose data, you can "offload" them. You need to find them in iPad Storage (tedious process), tap on the entry, and you find the Offload option. After the app is offloaded (takes a little while), the option changes to Reload, you can reinstall them.

• Did you get it solved or is it still happening?

• I had something like this noise (cut out?) start for me in the past few days soon after I finally “upgraded” to 14.6. I searched google for known issues, didn’t find anything, started to think it wasn’t the update and maybe it was my headphones or that stupid dongle, Headphones are fine though and I think the dongle thing is well, working as well as it can. Frustrating, haven’t had it all day today but yesterday was a mess.

• For me, that's the sound of corrupt audio buffers... when the iPad isn't servicing interrupts in a timely manner and buffers that are allocated but not properly staged with data get passed to the audio output buffers and you hear some gnarly crap.

It's most often a sign an app is not meeting it's AUv3 specs when you have too many instances loaded... iSymphonic does it a lot with 2 or more instances loaded.

Of course, actually hardware issues will also provided potentially corrupt audio buffers to the D to A hardware too.

IOS has a role in the timing and efficient delivery of these audio packets to the hardware so
    bugs in IOS realtime interrupt processing can be at fault.

Number One Answer: cycle power
    Number Two: reset to factory defaults and re-load apps
    Number Three: Buy a newer device.

One and Two are just steps that lead to Number Three.

• @bobbyj8866 said:
    Did you get it solved or is it still happening?

I’ve been driving across the country so haven’t been able to strap in to check. Is it still happening for you? Seems like the new updates have introduced a host of audio related issues…

• Aside from buffer handling (as mentioned by @McD) loosing internal digital sync sounds similiar (f.e. if for obscure reasons sampling rate may become undefined).
    I had almost the same audible effect ages ago on an Alesis ioDock version 1. Sometimes once a month, sometimes almost hourly. Never could figure out the source reason.
    Only later after the dock‘s charging unit failed it never happened again - so there‘s evidence it might be related to that process, but I dunno for shure.
    (btw there‘s a hack to sneak in a USB cable to use the regular iPad charger with the ioDock, occasionally the unit is still on duty)

In case it‘s related in any way to charging, it will most likely be resolved with an OS update.

• After a few weeks off I plugged back in and played around with Overloud and Nembrini amps. This time I re-installed the apps and restarted the iPad. Happy to report that the weird noise problem is now gone, even after an hour of playing. Both standalone and in AUM, switching between 48kHz and 96kHz, no defects.

@bobbyj8866 if the problem is still happening for you, try deleting and re-installing the apps then restarting iPad. I know many others are experiencing similar or comparable glitches since the new 14.5-14.6 updates…

• Thanks! I tried iOS 15 and it’s back to being ok, rock solid, issue gone

• But now AmpliTube won’t start, no big deal for me. I have all I need in TS pro, Nembrini stuff and THU

• @bobbyj8866 said:
    But now AmpliTube won’t start, no big deal for me. I have all I need in TS pro, Nembrini stuff and THU

You might be able to recover AmpliTube by Offloading and Reloading it. Find it in iPad Storage and you can do this without losing any data. The new copy might include the necessary magic.

• @JoyceRoadStudios said:
    Hey everyone! My straightforward setup has randomly developed a noise problem, this weird digital fried sound. Does anyone recognize it? It’s in the first part of this video I uploaded…

This started happening during the last two updates, and I’m on the latest update now. iPad Pro 2020 12.9, nothing is clipping in/out and nothing is overloaded as far as I can tell. Did something happen with the last two updates? This is happening with many different sims and on clean sounds.

A few weeks ago my iPad had screen on and just sat around losing battery and died. I didn’t plug it in for a week. Once I charged it and started playing in AUM and with amp sims standalone, after 3-5 minutes this random digital fried sound started creeping in, especially on trails after playing a chord. At first I thought it was my motu M4, or then the white Apple usbc-usbc cable that connects motu to iPad. A few days later I switched interfaces to apogee jam plus, with its own micro usb usbc cable, and after 10 minutes the problem came back. Using the the same guitar and cable. Both interfaces bus powered and iPad not charging, the power strip is completely turned off, so no nearby interference as far as I can tell. What kind of interference is this?? Something inside the iPad, something with iPad and interface communicating? I have tested all the possibilities, and based on process of elimination it can only be the iPad or my guitar/cable. If I change sample rates the problem goes away and comes back. I think there’s something going on with the processing on the iPad, maybe it’s conversion hiccups or something else. I’m weary to start a project because this thing keeps coming back out of nowhere, and it’s frustrating. There’s nothing different about my set up and parameters from previous trouble free years. It seems like a processing hiccup. Thanks for your help!

did you take down the video? it says it can’t be found when I tried to play. curious if it’s the same sound i’m getting

• edited June 2021

@eross said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:

did you take down the video? it says it can’t be found when I tried to play. curious if it’s the same sound i’m getting

I never removed the video, it’s still there, I have it set as “unlisted” rather than “public”. Here’s the link again, seems like it doesn’t load in the forum but it works if you open it in youtube.

@eross said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:

I never removed the video, it’s still there, I have it set as “unlisted” rather than “public”. Here’s the link again, seems like it doesn’t load in the forum but it works if you open it in youtube.

thanks, the video worked that time. yeah, that’s the exact same thing mine does. i changed the sample rate, and it seemed to help a bit, but it did come back at one point. i don’t know what is going on with it.

• @eross said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:

@eross said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:

thanks, the video worked that time. yeah, that’s the exact same thing mine does. i changed the sample rate, and it seemed to help a bit, but it did come back at one point. i don’t know what is going on with it.

Did you just recently update your OS? Have you tried deleting and reinstalling the apps or will that step erase your data or presets?

This was happening to me as soon I updated to 14.5-14.6, so I put the gear away for a week, came back and reinstalled the apps, and the problem seems to be gone for now. As others have mentioned, it sounds like corrupt audio buffers or some hiccup in the communication between iPad, apps, and interface. Another option is something related to charging, or WiFi/Bluetooth interference.

All the apps we use have our preferred sample rate and buffers set and then we update OS, so perhaps the key is reinstalling the apps so they start off at their default settings, restarting the iPad… worked for me so far.

@eross said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:

@eross said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:

Did you just recently update your OS? Have you tried deleting and reinstalling the apps or will that step erase your data or presets?

This was happening to me as soon I updated to 14.5-14.6, so I put the gear away for a week, came back and reinstalled the apps, and the problem seems to be gone for now. As others have mentioned, it sounds like corrupt audio buffers or some hiccup in the communication between iPad, apps, and interface. Another option is something related to charging, or WiFi/Bluetooth interference.

All the apps we use have our preferred sample rate and buffers set and then we update OS, so perhaps the key is reinstalling the apps so they start off at their default settings, restarting the iPad… worked for me so far.

This seemed to work for me too

• I am still having this issue, I reloaded my guitar sim apps and it still after about 5 mins starts with the weird slap back hissing noise.... i cant believe many people are not having this issue

• I just came across this (long) thread, https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252730493?page=1. Seems like this problem is pretty widespread.

• And no acknowledgement of the problem by Apple. Apple has turned into what Microsoft was in the 90’s.

• It looks like the update to 14.7 fixed this issue, well it has for me

• I loaded 14.7.1 clean and reinstalled apps. No more crackles.

• I have had a crackle in my (Focusrite) USB audio interface for a few releases/months that was only fixed by cycling power on the Focusrite.

Now, with 14.7.1, it appears to be gone.