Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SWAM Strings - Controllers + Automation + Code Giveaway! Win A Code!

SWAM Strings by Audio Modeling are by far the most impressive solo string instruments available for iOS. In this video I focus on how to make the most of them using automation and controllers to make them very expressive. And, I have some codes to give away - one for each of the 4 instruments. To win a code, see the pinned comment under my YouTube Video.

Comments

• edited May 2021

I’ve found the presets Audio Modeling recommends for SWAM plugins when used as AUv3 in GarageBand iOS are really bad. Totally lacking in control and attempts to make their plugins expressive are just mapped completely wrong for the built in GarageBand keyboard.

Although SWAM plugins are unrivaled in their sound, because it’s so difficult to get a consistent performance in GarageBand I usually go to something else first and SWAM apps are now my last option.

• @NeuM said:
    I’ve found the presets Audio Modeling recommends for SWAM plugins when used as AUv3 in GarageBand iOS are really bad. Totally lacking in control and attempts to make their plugins expressive are just mapped completely wrong for the built in GarageBand keyboard.

Although SWAM plugins are unrivaled in their sound, because it’s so difficult to get a consistent performance in GarageBand I usually go to something else first and SWAM apps are now my last option.

I must confess that I haven’t yet used them in GarageBand. It’s a DAW I rarely use. I use Cubasis 3 more than anything for a traditional DAW on iOS, and recently, audio evolution too. It has its faults but they all do in one way or another. This has led me to trying to use AUM as a DAW as much as possible. As AUM handles AUV3’s better than other hosts, it’s a great option for the SWAM instruments as they are pretty CPU hungry.

• @Jamie_Mallender said:

@NeuM said:

I must confess that I haven’t yet used them in GarageBand. It’s a DAW I rarely use. I use Cubasis 3 more than anything for a traditional DAW on iOS, and recently, audio evolution too. It has its faults but they all do in one way or another. This has led me to trying to use AUM as a DAW as much as possible. As AUM handles AUV3’s better than other hosts, it’s a great option for the SWAM instruments as they are pretty CPU hungry.

I suspect the folks at Audio Modeling also do not use GarageBand as their primary target for development work, which would explain the lack of seamless integration.

• @NeuM said:

@Jamie_Mallender said:

@NeuM said:

I suspect the folks at Audio Modeling also do not use GarageBand as their primary target for development work, which would explain the lack of seamless integration.

Interesting. I’ll have to check that out. Whilst I think it’s important when you make demos of apps for YouTube, to check things in different hosts, I can’t do all of them. I’ll look into that though.

• @Jamie_Mallender said:

@NeuM said:

@Jamie_Mallender said:

@NeuM said:

Interesting. I’ll have to check that out. Whilst I think it’s important when you make demos of apps for YouTube, to check things in different hosts, I can’t do all of them. I’ll look into that though.

No criticism meant on your part, Jamie. Just an observation of which DAWs some developers seem to focus their efforts on.

• @NeuM said:

@Jamie_Mallender said:

@NeuM said:

@Jamie_Mallender said:

@NeuM said:

No criticism meant on your part, Jamie. Just an observation of which DAWs some developers seem to focus their efforts on.

No offence taken my friend. I’m just very interested in the point you make and it got me thinking... maybe it will turn into a video...

• FWIW I have had pretty good results with both SWAM Cello and SWAM Trumpet using GarageBand. But we may be trying to do different things. I track with both using my iPhone as an X/Y/Z midi controller, and can get enough realistic expression to fool most ears. Which is very cool to a keys player like me.

That being said, I had to hunt down how to do this, as it wasn't obvious at first. There were several hours of practice to get the minimal required nuances going. These are better thought of as instruments vs. applications. They take some time to fully master, even if you're a serious musician already.

I like Jamie's video because it shows what happens when you go in a different direction. Always insightful.

Exporting from GarageBand to a Mac DAW is a PITA, but my iPad rig is amazing for "rough draft" tracking. Not to mention amazingly cost effective. All the effort was worth it. I am now a huge fan of the SWAM instruments and will probably end up buying all of them sooner or later.

• @cphollis

I only have the budget for 2 swam apps and want to get the best bang for my buck. Thinking the trumpet and cello are my best options. Agree/disagree?

• @louis said:
    @cphollis

I only have the budget for 2 swam apps and want to get the best bang for my buck. Thinking the trumpet and cello are my best options. Agree/disagree?

I don’t have any of the brass ones so can’t really comment on them but of the strings ones, I think the cello is my favourite. I do love the sound of a cello. I play most things with strings but never got my hands on a cello, yet.

• @cphollis said:
    FWIW I have had pretty good results with both SWAM Cello and SWAM Trumpet using GarageBand. But we may be trying to do different things. I track with both using my iPhone as an X/Y/Z midi controller, and can get enough realistic expression to fool most ears. Which is very cool to a keys player like me.

That being said, I had to hunt down how to do this, as it wasn't obvious at first. There were several hours of practice to get the minimal required nuances going. These are better thought of as instruments vs. applications. They take some time to fully master, even if you're a serious musician already.

I like Jamie's video because it shows what happens when you go in a different direction. Always insightful.

Exporting from GarageBand to a Mac DAW is a PITA, but my iPad rig is amazing for "rough draft" tracking. Not to mention amazingly cost effective. All the effort was worth it. I am now a huge fan of the SWAM instruments and will probably end up buying all of them sooner or later.

Thank you. I’m glad you liked the video. I think one of the great values of YouTube videos is an insight into the way other people use software. I’ve seen Jakob Haq use the same things I use in a completely different way. It’s inspiring.

• edited May 2021

@louis said:
    @cphollis

I first bought the SWAM Sax and Cello through the GeoShred app, which I’ve used to great effect in numerous recordings, then got the standalone SWAM Trumpet, Cello, Viola and Violin apps. It does not bother me to have both versions of Cello. It really depends on what you’re after with regard to filling out your music.

• @NeuM said:

@louis said:
    @cphollis

I first bought the SWAM Sax and Cello through the GeoShred app, which I’ve used to great effect in numerous recordings, then got the standalone SWAM Trumpet, Cello, Viola and Violin apps. It does not bother me to have both versions of Cello. It really depends on what you’re after with regard to filling out your music.

I’d really like to get the trumpet. I don’t actually have GeoShred. I know everyone raves about it. Do you rate it as highly as most people seem to?

• edited June 2021

@Jamie_Mallender said:

@NeuM said:

@louis said:
    @cphollis

I’d really like to get the trumpet. I don’t actually have GeoShred. I know everyone raves about it. Do you rate it as highly as most people seem to?

I had deleted the app until the Swam presets were added. But the swam presets are pretty good! I hardly ever tweak swam sounds, and that's someone who has the desktop software. So it's hard to hear any worse quality. It's purely if you want to have more programmable control over the tambre.

• edited June 2021

@Jamie_Mallender said:

@NeuM said:

@louis said:
    @cphollis

GeoShred has its own share of negatives along with the positives, but I like having it as an option when other solutions don’t quite work out. My biggest issue has to do with it not having velocity sensitivity, so harder or lighter taps won’t affect volume, unlike the iOS GarageBand keyboard or guitar/bass interface do (for example). GeoShred does have some UI layouts which incorporate a sliding action (up and down, versus left to right) which will affect volume. The SWAM instruments in the GeoShred app also uses this same action to affect volume changes also.

In summary, I like GeoShred. I don’t love it.

• @NeuM said:

@Jamie_Mallender said:

@NeuM said:

@louis said:
    @cphollis

GeoShred has its own share of negatives along with the positives, but I like having it as an option when other solutions don’t quite work out. My biggest issue has to do with it not having velocity sensitivity, so harder or lighter taps won’t affect volume, unlike the iOS GarageBand keyboard or guitar/bass interface do (for example). GeoShred does have some UI layouts which incorporate a sliding action (up and down, versus left to right) which will affect volume. The SWAM instruments in the GeoShred app also uses this same action to affect volume changes also.

Unless you use it on an iPhone with 3D Touch, which can be mapped to Expression/ volume, and which can be used as a controller for SWAM apps on iPad. The easiest way to do this is through your favorite “DAW,” AUM. Though there are other ways.

• @mjcouche said:

@NeuM said:

@Jamie_Mallender said:

@NeuM said:

@louis said:
    @cphollis

Unless you use it on an iPhone with 3D Touch, which can be mapped to Expression/ volume, and which can be used as a controller for SWAM apps on iPad. The easiest way to do this is through your favorite “DAW,” AUM. Though there are other ways.

Haha. Yeah… my favorite.

• Thank you for the replies, I do appreciate it. I’ve never looked at GeoShred too closely but know a lot of people really rate it. I play things with strings so my lead lines tend to be guitar, Bass, cigar box guitar, mandolin, banjo, baby sitar etc... and if I do play something like a synth that I want to be expressive then I map a controller like in the video. So i just wondered if there was any advantage to me getting it. I’m trying to avoid collecting apps that are great but I don’t really need. Developers send me stuff all the time now so, it’s kind of hard to keep up with at times.

• Since you actually play a bass, I’m not sure you’d find any advantage to owning GeoShred, Jamie. It’s not a bad app in general though.

• @NeuM said:
    Since you actually play a bass, I’m not sure you’d find any advantage to owning GeoShred, Jamie. It’s not a bad app in general though.

Ok thanks mate. I’ll check out one of Doug’s videos on it sometime.

• I still have 2 unclaimed codes for the Swam Strings if anyone here wants to check if it might be them.

• @Jamie_Mallender said:
    I still have 2 unclaimed codes for the Swam Strings if anyone here wants to check if it might be them.

Really? I'm in for the Double Bass if you still got one left :)

• Wow who would miss this?
    I wouldn’t mind it either, if after Samu you still got one left☺️

• Honestly lads, it’s murder - chasing people to give them codes takes up tons of time.

• It surprises me every time I see that someone has won and then just doesn't respond to it. A simple no or so is not asking too much

• @Nathi94 said:
    It surprises me every time I see that someone has won and then just doesn't respond to it. A simple no or so is not asking too much

Me too, it took me about a minute after I got the notification to answer and write the mail :). That’s such an awesome price

• Well I know it isn't me @Jamie_Mallender ;)

• @Jamie_Mallender said:
    Honestly lads, it’s murder - chasing people to give them codes takes up tons of time.

I kinda get that...
    ...In case that happens again in the future and codes remain un-redeemed just PM them to some random AB forum member ;)

• @Samu said:

@Jamie_Mallender said:
    Honestly lads, it’s murder - chasing people to give them codes takes up tons of time.

I kinda get that...
    ...In case that happens again in the future and codes remain un-redeemed just PM them to some random AB forum member ;)

When I run the competitions in future I’m going to state that in this situation I will give the codes away before they expire. I do say that they need to have their YouTube notifications on when they enter.