Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

FabFilter Timeless 3 by FabFilter - Released

Comments

• edited June 2021

@oat_phipps said:
    I’m having something wrong that causes my interface to blow up. I thought it might be the sample rate changing, but I can’t remember if it did this when I was just playing in apeMatrix or not. It’s not an instant crap-out, though; It’ll gradually get noisier and noisier until it all sounds like broken static.

Have you updated iOS lately? I had something similar happen to me yesterday but while I was using pure synth and TB reverb. The volume shot up like crazy and read like 106 db and then a bit later it just fizzled out totally and the audio engine just stopped until I restarted AUM

• @Fingolfinzz said:

@oat_phipps said:
    I’m having something wrong that causes my interface to blow up. I thought it might be the sample rate changing, but I can’t remember if it did this when I was just playing in apeMatrix or not. It’s not an instant crap-out, though; It’ll gradually get noisier and noisier until it all sounds like broken static.

Have you updated iOS lately? I had something similar happen to me yesterday but while I was using pure synth and TB reverb. The volume shot up like crazy and read like 106 db and then a bit later it just fizzled out totally and the audio engine just stopped until I restarted AUM

Now that’s interesting… the exact same thing happened to me while using the SparkVerb reverb app! Starting to think this is an iOS issue.

• edited June 2021

@Fingolfinzz said:

@oat_phipps said:

Yes, but it was doing it on 14.4, as well as 14.5 and now the latest one. I think it’s a Cubasis thing or an iOS thing that has yet to be fixed.

Sucks to record tracks and be in the groove then go back and listen and realize the static had already crept in.

• Love Timeless 3! Sounds gorgeous.. I admit I too found the controls just a wee bit too small to hit/engage even with a stylus. Anyway I think I finally have an iOS equivalent (so much more though!) replacement for NI’s Replika. Now if only I could find a Valhalla Delay contender on iOS

• Yeah, the UI is busier than lets on. They still did a pretty good job with it, but making tiny taps to get to filter type, for example, can be a hassle.

Buuut I love everything about the sound. My fav delay ever (sorry, DD-6, I will never forget ye)

• Does anyone know how to adjust the slope of the HP or LP filters? Not the Q factor of the EQs, but the slope of the analog filters. According to the manual, on desktop you can use mouse wheel to adjust the slope. But it doesn't mention what to do in iOS.

I can see that some presets have different slopes on those filters, but I don't know how that's done.

• That works for adjusting the Q of EQ filers. But it has no effect on the slope of the LP or HP filters. Panning works as expected, but slope doesn't. Perhaps I'm dealing with a bug?

• Ah never mind, I just saw the pop up window. For other people: keep pressing the filter node until a white window pops up on the left of the screen.

• @craftycurate said:
    Loving Timeless 3 overall, but I'm missing the simplicity of being able to dial in L and R delay synced times in a much more simple way.

I can't find a way to simply set L delay to 1/8 and R delay to 1/2. for example ... finding the Timeless 3 way of setting delay times quite unintuitive so far ... back to the manual then :)

Yes, this was just my problem. I had to grab my phone and use a calculator. The interface when you are turning the knob will note (dotted) or (triplet) when you get in the vicinity, but it still doesn’t make sense if you’re already working with a dotted or triplet base delay. Agreed with you on the design choice; it feels snobby. You could always tell Fabfilter pushes this air of superiority through their marketing, but they’ve never let it harm their design until now.

Also, after a week with it, I stand by my original statement. The taps window is cute, and a fun feature with long delays, but the filter section is the crucial part. And my (non-fat) fingers on a 12.9” have trouble when I’m needing to double tap, pan, or create or adjust just one of the filters (and why not document how to do this stuff in the manual). This is I guess a fatal flaw of the iPad and touch instead of a mouse, it really hampers things like this.

All said, things got a little clunky with this new version, especially compared to the effortless re-design of Saturn 2. But I can’t dock them too much because it’s still the best and my go-to delay for simple or complex. And it still looks pretty despite the huge clump of tiny toggles around the center delay button.

• edited June 2021

@oat_phipps said:

@craftycurate said:
    Loving Timeless 3 overall, but I'm missing the simplicity of being able to dial in L and R delay synced times in a much more simple way.

I can't find a way to simply set L delay to 1/8 and R delay to 1/2. for example ... finding the Timeless 3 way of setting delay times quite unintuitive so far ... back to the manual then :)

Yes, this was just my problem. I had to grab my phone and use a calculator. The interface when you are turning the knob will note (dotted) or (triplet) when you get in the vicinity, but it still doesn’t make sense if you’re already working with a dotted or triplet base delay. Agreed with you on the design choice; it feels snobby. You could always tell Fabfilter pushes this air of superiority through their marketing, but they’ve never let it harm their design until now.

Also, after a week with it, I stand by my original statement. The taps window is cute, and a fun feature with long delays, but the filter section is the crucial part. And my (non-fat) fingers on a 12.9” have trouble when I’m needing to double tap, pan, or create or adjust just one of the filters (and why not document how to do this stuff in the manual). This is I guess a fatal flaw of the iPad and touch instead of a mouse, it really hampers things like this.

All said, things got a little clunky with this new version, especially compared to the effortless re-design of Saturn 2. But I can’t dock them too much because it’s still the best and my go-to delay for simple or complex. And it still looks pretty despite the huge clump of tiny toggles around the center delay button.

My sense is that they've decided to keep the desktop interface and adapt it for iOS as much as possible. Mostly that works OK, with the double tap method etc (replacing modifier keys on desktop) but where controls are closely packed it can be a hassle as you say. Because of this it's the only plugin where I find myself reaching for the Apple Pencil sometimes for more accurate clicking. And my fingers are on the chunky side which doesn't help.

As for setting delays, one way I've tried to simplify the calculation is to set the Base Delay to the straight beat (i.e. not dotted\triplet) which is as close as possible to both desired L and R delays, and then use the L and R offsets to introduce the D and T elements when needed. Don't think I've quite got this down if the L and R relays are very different though i.e. 1/2 and 1/32 at the same time.

• @oat_phipps said:

@craftycurate said:

FYI, the MixBox app has some very useful delays.

• @craftycurate said:

@oat_phipps said:

... but where controls are closely packed it can be a hassle as you say. Because of this it's the only plugin where I find myself reaching for the Apple Pencil sometimes for more accurate clicking. And my fingers are on the chunky side which doesn't help.

Seconded - I really would have gone bonkers without use of that pencil when creating these:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/45520/fabfilter-timeless-3-download-133-additional-presets-filters-and-modulation-only
    Though by not doing any delays in these presets, I could sidestep all of the delay time computations 😉

• @NeuM said:

@oat_phipps said:

@craftycurate said:

They’re not as good as this.

• Is there a quick way to set a ramp-up or ramp-down LFO?
    The easiest way I’ve found is a step sequencer LFO with the glide at 100%.
    Considering the huge amount of modulation options this plugin offers, it’s hard to believe that there isn’t any simple ramp LFO.

• edited June 2021

@sharifkerbage said:
    Is there a quick way to set a ramp-up or ramp-down LFO?
    Considering the huge amount of modulation options this plugin offers, it’s hard to believe that there isn’t any simple ramp LFO.

If I'm understanding correctly, you want the regular XLFO with Balance at its minimum (ramp down) or maximum (ramp up) setting, and Glide at max.

Edit: in fact, one of the XLFO presets is "Sawtooth", which does just that

• edited June 2021

@sharifkerbage said:

Did you tap on the down arrow next to the XLFO label?
    There's like a ton of different presets and SawTooth is one of them.

• @Samu said:

@sharifkerbage said:

Yes, but the confusing thing is the XLFO editor. When i select sawtooth as a XLFO preset it shows me a clear sawtooth, but when I enter the XLFO editor it shows a triangle wave.

• @sharifkerbage said:

@Samu said:

@sharifkerbage said:

Yes, but the confusing thing is the XLFO editor. When i select sawtooth as a XLFO preset it shows me a clear sawtooth, but when I enter the XLFO editor it shows a triangle wave.

^what @NoiseFloored said.
    Do close the XLFO editor to see a representation of the waveform. So as not to affect the editing, the balance is not directly reflected when in the editor.

• @Tim6502 said:

@sharifkerbage said:

@Samu said:

@sharifkerbage said:

^what @NoiseFloored said.
    Do close the XLFO editor to see a representation of the waveform. So as not to affect the editing, the balance is not directly reflected when in the editor.

Yeah, I figured that later.. it's just me trying to get the logic behind the editor 🤪
    Thanks everyone for the help.

• So glad I picked it up today, this thing is amazing...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2021

@BCKeys said:
    Totally OT but I love reading this kind of feeling that reminds how much hell Logic Pro would be on an iPad 😅> @oat_phipps said:

@NeuM said:

@oat_phipps said:

@craftycurate said:

They’re not as good as this.

I feel better staying away from IKM products, it is better to invest in FabFilter products if you expect long term maintenance..

I have both, so no issues there.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • hi folks. anyone know what the maximum sync'd delay time is in Timeless 3? i'm wondering if it can do Eno/Fripp length loops: 2-4 bars, ~8-30s? and, do the tiny controls work better with a wireless mouse? tia! /dan

• @bangzero said:
    hi folks. anyone know what the maximum sync'd delay time is in Timeless 3? i'm wondering if it can do Eno/Fripp length loops: 2-4 bars, ~8-30s? and, do the tiny controls work better with a wireless mouse? tia! /dan

Max sync increment is a half-note; you can get that up to a whole-note using the offset control at max, and you can use the L/R offset on top of that to get up to 4 bars in one channel. Max unsynced delay time is 5s.

• edited November 2021

for the record, found this in a Timeless 3 press release:

Dual delay lines (5 ms to 5 sec) with host tempo sync and panning

• Not sure about synced, not home right now to check, but unsynced maximum time is 5 seconds and you can offset it to 200% (10 secs). I’ll make sure later.

• thanks for checking @oat_phipps. and for the nifty offset tip! :^)

• @celtic_elk said:
    Max sync increment is a half-note; you can get that up to a whole-note using the offset control at max, and you can use the L/R offset on top of that to get up to 4 bars in one channel. Max unsynced delay time is 5s.

oops. missed this somehow, which answers my question. big thanks @celtic_elk. so, max 1 bar stereo, 4 bars mono. that's awkward for long loopy stuff. many other reasons to like Timeless 3 though.