Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis multicore rendering ineffective on M1 iPad Pro

I just received my new iPad Pro 11 2021 1TB an hour ago - hurrraaayy! Instantly migrated and checked out Cubasis. My project that was impossible on my iPad 6 and full of crackles is working smoothly as expected. I configured the audio according to the recommendations posted by @LFS in this thread

Funny thing is that the DSP load is smaller when running without multicore. When I raised the device latency and the Audio Engine Latency to the corresponding double value the DSP load was at least similar between multicore on or off. Of course I was expecting a significant better DSP performance with multicore.

Well, I guess Steinberg has to fine tune the audio engine to the new M1 iPad. Probably the logic based on recognised cores is wrong.

Multicore on

Multicore off

Comments

• Could you report to @LFS? I wait for mine for middle of June. It will certainly be improved with an update. Other than that, how is your M1 (with AUM and others)?

• @Janosax said:
    Could you report to @LFS? I wait for mine for middle of June. It will certainly be improved with an update. Other than that, how is your M1 (with AUM and others)?

Used my lunch break to check out some more things. AUM working great - rock solid as expected. A project with many apps worked smoothly. LK, Atom 2, Cykle, Mozaic, Scaler, EG Pulse, Phasmaker, Primer, Troublemaker, Resonator, TB Reverb, two TB Compressor sidechaining, Bleass delay. DSP around 33% - I think that used to be around 60% on my iPad 6. I thought the difference would be more significant, honestly.

• edited May 2021

@krassmann said:

@Janosax said:
    Could you report to @LFS? I wait for mine for middle of June. It will certainly be improved with an update. Other than that, how is your M1 (with AUM and others)?

Used my lunch break to check out some more things. AUM working great - rock solid as expected. A project with many apps worked smoothly. LK, Atom 2, Cykle, Mozaic, Scaler, EG Pulse, Phasmaker, Primer, Troublemaker, Resonator, TB Reverb, two TB Compressor sidechaining, Bleass delay. DSP around 33% - I think that used to be around 60% on my iPad 6. I thought the difference would be more significant, honestly.

That’s to be expected I think as on single core iPad 6 is around 750 and iPad Pro M1 is around 1700, so it’s more or less X2 the performance. More memory should also help on bigger projects, and multi core support in CB3 with proper … support. Perhaps your specific project in AUM uses efficient cores too, which are quite powerful already on iPad M1, so try to push the ressources enveloppe with bigger project and see how it behaves when it surely use performances cores.

• @krassmann said:
    I just received my new iPad Pro 11 2021 1TB an hour ago - hurrraaayy! Instantly migrated and checked out Cubasis. My project that was impossible on my iPad 6 and full of crackles is working smoothly as expected. I configured the audio according to the recommendations posted by @LFS in this thread

Funny thing is that the DSP load is smaller when running without multicore. When I raised the device latency and the Audio Engine Latency to the corresponding double value the DSP load was at least similar between multicore on or off. Of course I was expecting a significant better DSP performance with multicore.

Well, I guess Steinberg has to fine tune the audio engine to the new M1 iPad. Probably the logic based on recognised cores is wrong.

Multicore on

Multicore off

Receiving mine later today. Is the Migration from an old ipad as easy as expected? Or do i have anything to notice?

• edited May 2021

Yeah, migration was smooth. Just followed the on-screen instructions. No surprises. Beta apps in testflight were not migrated.

• @krassmann said:

I have the same experience with iPad air4 and cb3.

• wimwim
    edited May 2021

@krassmann - You can't rely on the DSP monitor to draw any conclusions about processing efficiency. The way iOS allocates cores varies depending on what it decides is best for battery and thermal performance. It's actually possible for the meter to read higher values when the iPad is actually working less.

The measurement shown there is a percentage of the processing power currently allocated by iOS. If you push it harder, iOS may kick in higher performance and you might actually see the DSP go down.

The only real test is how hard you can push it before getting audio dropouts.

• edited May 2021

Here is Larsˋ explaination

DSP meter
    The DSP level in the Inspector’s "System Info” tab measures the time duration that a rendering cycle takes, divided by the buffer duration (the time available to perform rendering).
    With Audio Engine Latency disabled, rendering is performed on the system’s single ultra high priority audio thread, which means that a DSP peak of 100% always results in a drop-out (crackling).
    When Audio Engine Latency is enabled, rendering is performed in engine threads and a short peak of 100% doesn’t always mean that there is a drop-out, because the engine's buffers might have been able to prevent it. A dropout will only occur if DSP is 100% for longer than “Audio Engine Latency” is set to. Note that the DSP usage might be higher than with Audio Engine Latency disabled, which is normal because engine threads don’t get the same priority as the system's audio thread, but that's not a problem because multi-core rendering more than makes up for it.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/42746/cubasis-3-2-multicore-rendering-latency-settings

• @krassmann is the M1 worth it?

• heshes
    edited June 2021

@ipadbeatmaking said:
    @krassmann is the M1 worth it?

Are you running into processor-speed-related problems in your current app usage scenarios (e.g., crackles)? An M1 machine would improve those somewhat. Whether it's worth the extra cash outlay is another question. I would say definitely yes, worth it if you're a millionaire. If you're a starving artist, you have a mostly usable setup, and money is hard to come by, probably not.

• @hes said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:
    @krassmann is the M1 worth it?

Are you running into processor-speed-related problems in your current app usage scenarios (e.g., crackles)? An M1 machine would improve those somewhat. Whether it's worth the extra cash outlay is another question. I would say definitely yes, worth it if you're a millionaire. If you're a starving artist, you have a mostly usable setup, and money is hard to come by, probably not.

On a 2018 Pro 11” currently. Crackles in Cubasis sometimes during real time vocal tracking with the low latency/buffer settings. never in NanoStudio 2 but obviously no audio tracks there. I’m wondering if the power increase is significant enough to justify the jump (12.9, at least 1tb, 16gb of ram in mind)

• At the moment(!) I would say the M1 iPad Pro is not worth it. In CB3 you have to turn off the multicore rendering as LFS proposed. I guess they will adjust their multi-core code for the M1 and then it might be improved performance.

I have a project with apeMatrix (with LK) + MidiFire + CB3. CB3 hosts the AUs: EG pulse 5 outs, two DRC instances, a Steinberg mini sampler, Skaka, 3 audio tracks. All tracks have some FX but nothing very heavy, TB EQ, Eventide blackhole, TB reverb, Bleass delay, Steinberg channel strips. It runs with 30-35% DSP, 3% CPU. I wonder if this is so much better than on an iPad Air 4.

I really wonder if i shall return my iPad Pro and get an Air 4 instead. Adding some extra money and buy additionally a MacBook Air and go the route of combining a laptop with an iPad. Who knows what the future will bring but right now the M1 iPad Pro is overkill for what you do with an iPad.

• @krassmann said:
    At the moment(!) I would say the M1 iPad Pro is not worth it. In CB3 you have to turn off the multicore rendering as LFS proposed. I guess they will adjust their multi-core code for the M1 and then it might be improved performance.

I have a project with apeMatrix (with LK) + MidiFire + CB3. CB3 hosts the AUs: EG pulse 5 outs, two DRC instances, a Steinberg mini sampler, Skaka, 3 audio tracks. All tracks have some FX but nothing very heavy, TB EQ, Eventide blackhole, TB reverb, Bleass delay, Steinberg channel strips. It runs with 30-35% DSP, 3% CPU. I wonder if this is so much better than on an iPad Air 4.

I really wonder if i shall return my iPad Pro and get an Air 4 instead. Adding some extra money and buy additionally a MacBook Air and go the route of combining a laptop with an iPad. Who knows what the future will bring but right now the M1 iPad Pro is overkill for what you do with an iPad.

😳

That’s not very heavy at all. Have you been able to run the DSP up to 100% in any project? If so, how many plugins did it require?

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

@krassmann said:
    At the moment(!) I would say the M1 iPad Pro is not worth it. In CB3 you have to turn off the multicore rendering as LFS proposed. I guess they will adjust their multi-core code for the M1 and then it might be improved performance.

😳

That’s not very heavy at all. Have you been able to run the DSP up to 100% in any project? If so, how many plugins did it require?

No, I haven’t done this yet. I had not so much time for music making recently. But after some deep thinking I find this not very surprising. Just look at the Geekbench results: the A14 of an iPad Air 4 has got a single core result of 1585 while the M1 iPad has got 1727 - not much different. As the M1 has twice the performance cores than the A14 the multi core result is very different: 4209 vs 7270. So as long as the AU host does not utilize multiple cores for the DSP there is not much difference between the iPad Air 4 and the new Pro.

• That air seems like a really sweet deal especially compared to iPad Pro 2018

• I think the speculation around what the M1 would bring to the new Pro's got to everybody. That speculation didn't come from Apple, but they could still deliver on a lot of it at any point. If something like Logic Pro came to the iPad today, it seems to me that the M1 8GB would be the minimum spec to support it. I'd say keep the Pro you have. It is still the most powerful iPad they make. I ordered an Air 4 because it was cheaper before I thought it through. Luckily, I was able to cancel the order before it shipped, and switched to a base 11 inch M1 Pro. There are some features on the Pro that, by themselves, would be worth the extra $200 to some people. For that extra outlay, you get all of them:

5G
    120Hz, 600 nits
    M1 8-core, 8-core GPU
    8GB RAM
    Main Camera ultrawide, LiDAR, flash
    Selfie Camera 11MP ultrawide, panorama
    Face ID
    4 speakers
    Thunderbolt 4

A full comparison with the differences can be found here:

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=10444&idPhone2=10865#diff-

You could also wait and see what the Air 5 brings. I upgraded from an Air 3 (handed that down to my son who got a big upgrade from his no iPad at all), and the difference in generations and models is astounding.

• I have an air 4, I had to switch off multicore in cubasis when I tried to run multiple instances of Sunrizer.

I guess it’s something to do with how iOS or cubasis divides up the workload across the threads. Maybe if you have a synth that pushes the limit of a single thread, there’s no headroom?

I’d imagine the performance gains of the M1 will improve over time, maybe apple will give developers more options in the SDK for iPadOS 15.

• @timforsyth said:
    I have an air 4, I had to switch off multicore in cubasis when I tried to run multiple instances of Sunrizer.

I guess it’s something to do with how iOS or cubasis divides up the workload across the threads. Maybe if you have a synth that pushes the limit of a single thread, there’s no headroom?

I’d imagine the performance gains of the M1 will improve over time, maybe apple will give developers more options in the SDK for iPadOS 15.

On my iPad Pro 2017 I had to turn off multi core too. Does it work for anybody?

• edited June 2021

@timforsyth said:
    I have an air 4, I had to switch off multicore in cubasis when I tried to run multiple instances of Sunrizer.

Well this is beginning to frustrate me…. I loaded up 4 instances of Sunrizer with default preset. It crashes for me with multi core disabled and enabled…. Does not matter. Crash crash

I can run like 8 instances in AUM with ease. Uggg someday Cubasis plz.

• Try Cubasis 2?

• I think to prevent plugins from crashing one should turn off Studio Quality

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • That was the recommendation from Steinberg in their forum and it fixed the plugin crashes for most users.