Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Vintage and warm sound on the master

I have the mastering program Final Touch and I like it a lot but I don't always want a super clear sound on my recordings. How do I do to get a warmer sound? I know there's an app called Master Record but I can hardly hear any difference in the sound when I listen to the test on you tube.

Comments

• The PSP microWarmer available as IAP in Auria is based on the desktop plugin literally named VintageWarmer, and would seem is designed for precisely what you are asking for.

• Thanks for the answer! unfortunately I use Cubasis. But Auria seems better in many ways.

• I just wish Igor made the Master Record functionality part of Audio Mastering. Seems like a fit.

• edited May 2014

"Warmth" is harmonic distortions, try googling "adding distortion to give warmth". It is going to be dependent on your source material. If it is ios synth, I have taken a lower octave (tweaked) and add distortion with a amp model like bias ( with varying degrees of success) and mix it in low. Hope that helps.

+1 to Master record, nice app as well as microWarmer

• simply boosting your mids a bit can add a surprising amount of "warm feel"

• Saturn in Auria can also give great results

• Thanks for the answers!
    I found these article about modern vs vintage recording ideals, very interesting
    http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug10/articles/leader-0810.htm

• good read, thanks for sharing

• Great article

• edited May 2014

Agreed, great article.

Nothing worse than a new recording of an old soul song with crisp, clear drums and twangy, extended bass. For me, the sound of the recording is just as much a part of the song in that style. The bass was so fat because the kick drum wasn't, strings could take up a nice space because the drums didn't, drummers played very balanced because remixing couldn't balance them. Sensing a theme? Perhaps.
    I'm lucky enough to do sound every week for some very high level musicians who have been on many major recordings, and I see evidence of this. In fact, the other night, the drummer apologized for hitting hard on one song (he wasn't, that was the best part!) because he's used to having to play at the right volume to fit the arrangements, style, and the room, which is very very live. It explains to me though why he's on so many classic recordings.

I think "Happy," by pharrell Williams, is a good example of a modern tune taking a "vintage" approach but sounding new still. Adele as well. In fact, check out Pensado's place this week, with Lesley braithewaite as guest, talking about that mix.

• Sound on Sound also has a much longer article on analog warmth at http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb10/articles/analoguewarmth.htm

• I am in the same quest. And since quiet a lot has changed since May 2014, I am very interested for your suggestions.

Are there any other solutions to get a “warmer” feel to our master channel (AUM user) other than Tape emulator apps?

• ToneBoosters 'ReelBus' is the closest I've found for this task: You can dial in some really subtle-yet-effective warming unlike anything else I've tried within iOS (or desktop for that matter).

• edited February 2020

@Proppa said:
    ToneBoosters 'ReelBus' is the closest I've found for this task: You can dial in some really subtle-yet-effective warming unlike anything else I've tried within iOS (or desktop for that matter).

Nice suggestion! Saw some ReelBus videos. Sounds like a good choice!

• Try Jen Guell's ,'Make Louder', it has two dials
    for tube saturation which are pleasing to the ear
    whilst retaining the high end.

It can make your tracks sound warm without losing detail.

• Whatever i make in Cubasis, i render the WAV file (-6 on Master), then Master in Auria (or record straight into Auria from Cubasis via Audiobus?) in the Past..

• I used a setup in my send channels with Master Record, AUFX:Dub and AUFX:Space, but dialed down the reverb and delay, but left the saturations, and a bit of tape noise and whatnot. If needed, I added a bit of Saffron Saturator or Klevgrand's SquashIt and PressIt for further tweaking
    Subtle, but gave a nice warmth with control on the frequencies they were applied

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The "Magic Death Eye" compressor comes to mind first...
    Then Klevgrand's "ReAmp".
    Then 4Pockets "Overdrive AUv3 Plugin".

Don't have it yet but Nembrini's PSA1000 seems like an excellent Saturator.
    Blue_Mangoo has suggested they will have a saturator in the very near future.

A tiny bit of distortion = saturation.
    A lot of distortion = distortion.

It's easy to simulate using a precise EQ with a touch of reverb added.
    People tend to forget there's saturator embedded in AUM by the way.

Before AUM @j_liljedahl made a lot of powerful and effective FX apps.
    AUM is the gift that just keeps giving setting a high bar for useful mixer apps.

Just tinkering around with AUM can do some surprising sound shaping.
    You can route a signal to multiple buses and add fx on each and get something like
    a Multi-band compressor for no extra cost. It's got EQ's, Stereo FX, Dynamics processing, etc.

And never forget to add Bark Filter... it's a secret but you seem like a nice bloke. There are 2 buttons you need to push and viola: Instant masterpiece. It doesn't add warmth... it adds talent.