Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• Single core performance up from 1198 to 1699 nice 😊

• I’ll be interested to see how the performance compares to the Air 4.

• Single core not much difference to the Air 4 in those tests but a big difference with multi-core.

• I just want to see how much quicker file transfer speeds are over thunderbolt compared to USB C 3.1 on the iPads. I plan on upgrading my 2018 pro this weekend but I’m genuinely interested considering file transfer hasn’t been the quickest.

• Obviously, the software improvements which will take advantage of all that power are coming with Apple’s developer conference just around the corner. I still think iPad-friendly versions of Logic and Final Cut are soon to become part of the mix.

• It looks like the M1 is super fast, with the Air coming in second place. So now the choice is either 128gb pro, or 256gb air for $50 cheaper.

• @slicetwo said:
    It looks like the M1 is super fast, with the Air coming in second place. So now the choice is either 128gb pro, or 256gb air for $50 cheaper.

I’d go pro. 120HZ, thunderbolt, overall better specs

• Most of the usual reviewers say the same thing for every release...best iPad ever. Some nuggets in a few of the lesser-known hawkers: the better screen increases contrast a bit for everything, but much more noticeable for photos and videos; apps load quicker, and reload quicker. Rendering, moving files, etc are faster and seem to be able to be done in the background now.

• A shame that there is no music orientated influencer. None of the big YouTuber seems to care about music production on the iPad. Best bet would be Henny I guess.

Guess I have to wait till mine arrive to get first hand Musical Infos. 😂

• Nice hardware but shame about the OS :)
    and it doesn't even have a proper built-in display out mode yet to take advantage of the thunderbolt port.

• Will thunderbolt port on an iPad mean we can now use thunderbolt audio interfaces?

• Potentially, yes.

• @Carnbot said:
    Nice hardware but shame about the OS :)
    and it doesn't even have a proper built-in display out mode yet to take advantage of the thunderbolt port.

One of the things demoed in the release was using the iPad to drive the 6K XDR display.

@nerVe said:
    Will thunderbolt port on an iPad mean we can now use thunderbolt audio interfaces?

iOS 14 added the Thunderbolt audio interface API a few months back. It's a good bet that this will work.

• @NeonSilicon said:

@Carnbot said:
    Nice hardware but shame about the OS :)

One of the things demoed in the release was using the iPad to drive the 6K XDR display.

ah yes but that'll be from an app like Lumafusion which does have external monitor support, but I'm talking about direct OS control of the external display which is only currently mirrored and cropped.

• edited May 2021

I understand now and agree.

• Got my shiny new 12.9” M1 IPP in hand (got the 1TB model), now looking at Thunderbolt interfaces… wow… they ain’t cheap!

• @Edward_Alexander I'm curious: is there anything specific you want to get out of the thunderbolt port instead of just using USB-C?

• @NoiseFloored said:
    @Edward_Alexander I'm curious: is there anything specific you want to get out of the thunderbolt port instead of just using USB-C?

Not really. I just figured since I’ve been doing a lot of “video stuff” (with video editors and VS- Visual Synthesizer) and always looking to get a bump in the audio quality/bandwidth/latency department.

However, after reading this article:

https://decibelpeak.com/are-thunderbolt-audio-interfaces-worth-it/

I realize I am just fine with my Scarlett 4i4 3rd gen (USB-C) interface for now. Maybe down the road, when I replace my aging Windows gaming/Ableton Live PC with a proper Mac for my production needs, then I’ll probably benefit from the Thunderbolt stuff.

• My uSB audio interfaces always had less headaches than my thunderbolt interfaces. Even my interfaces that have both, I use USB.

• I have had my 12.9” iPad Pro M1 a couple of month now, upgrading from 12.9” iPad Pro 2020 generation - hav’nt yet seen ANY advantages to upgrade - just 2000 bucks poorer (have my 2020 gen still left)…

• Anyone using BM3 on the M1?

• @Edward_Alexander said:

@NoiseFloored said:
    @Edward_Alexander I'm curious: is there anything specific you want to get out of the thunderbolt port instead of just using USB-C?

Not really. I just figured since I’ve been doing a lot of “video stuff” (with video editors and VS- Visual Synthesizer) and always looking to get a bump in the audio quality/bandwidth/latency department.

However, after reading this article:

https://decibelpeak.com/are-thunderbolt-audio-interfaces-worth-it/

I realize I am just fine with my Scarlett 4i4 3rd gen (USB-C) interface for now. Maybe down the road, when I replace my aging Windows gaming/Ableton Live PC with a proper Mac for my production needs, then I’ll probably benefit from the Thunderbolt stuff.

Ah got it yeah, for my uses USB-C is more than enough, not interested in the video aspects (for now at least)

• @AudioGus said:
    Anyone using BM3 on the M1?

I have it installed. Anything you’d like me to try?

bear in mind, I never use BM3, so I’ll have no idea what I’m doing.

@AudioGus said:

Hmmm, well in that case I guess you could load up the demo track, hit play and see if your iPad explodes into a million pieces. thanks!

• edited August 2021

@CapnWillie said:
    After upgrading to a 2019 than downgrading back to 2017 10.5 I have yet to see a reason to make the leap leaving my 3.5 mm and Apogee One compatibility behind.

I don’t find 10.5 struggling with any app or project so I really don’t see what I’d gain. Only what I’d lose which is pretty significant.

I too would be happy with my old 10.5 but alas the Mrs iPad died so she inherited mine. If it weren’t for DeltaV stuff in the neighbourhood I would consider selling old stuff and buying used again but alas I’ll probably just bite the bullet on the new one and roll the dice on my audio interface working. Since I am not commuting the headphone jack is less of an issue now. Having to buy a new pencil stinks though.

• @ErrkaPetti said:
    I have had my 12.9” iPad Pro M1 a couple of month now, upgrading from 12.9” iPad Pro 2020 generation - hav’nt yet seen ANY advantages to upgrade - just 2000 bucks poorer (have my 2020 gen still left)…

Yep iPad Pro M1 resembles a scam.

However I think Tim Cook is an honorable person -I’m convinced he will address this satisfactorily in the fall.

• @AudioGus said:

@CapnWillie said:
    After upgrading to a 2019 than downgrading back to 2017 10.5 I have yet to see a reason to make the leap leaving my 3.5 mm and Apogee One compatibility behind.

I don’t find 10.5 struggling with any app or project so I really don’t see what I’d gain. Only what I’d lose which is pretty significant.

I too would be happy with my old 10.5 but alas the Mrs iPad died so she inherited mine. If it weren’t for DeltaV stuff in the neighbourhood I would consider selling old stuff and buying used again but alas I’ll probably just bite the bullet on the new one and roll the dice on my audio interface working. Since I am not commuting the headphone jack is less of an issue now. Having to buy a new pencil stinks though.

I used to be a huge Craigslist buyer here in the SF Bay Area. You used to be able to set up RSS feeds for very specific queries. I got SO many deals that way… all the volcas, a circuit, various controllers, 2 midi fighters, an amp, a monitor. Basically, I was hacking the abundance of music hardware in the Bay Area combined with the Craigslist sniping. I live a block away from a popular coffee shop for safe exchanges.

Since Covid, the only thing I’ve bought is a 2012 Mac mini to use as a Plex server (which is fantastic!). I believe Craigslist transactions can be completed pretty safely, I just haven’t had the interest in it.

• @AudioGus said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@AudioGus said:

Hmmm, well in that case I guess you could load up the demo track, hit play and see if your iPad explodes into a million pieces. thanks!

Haha I’ll let you know how it goes!

I’ve been meaning to teach myself how to use BM3 for some time, as I saw something about a 64 pad layout a while back, and thought it would be cool to try out with my new Launchpad Pro MK3.

I had to remove BM3 a while back though, as my previous IPP was only 64GB and I was out of space. Now that I have this new M1 1TB I can give it a go!

this M1 12.9” 1TB is a massive upgrade for me!

@AudioGus said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@AudioGus said:

Haha I’ll let you know how it goes!

I’ve been meaning to teach myself how to use BM3 for some time, as I saw something about a 64 pad layout a while back, and thought it would be cool to try out with my new Launchpad Pro MK3.

I had to remove BM3 a while back though, as my previous IPP was only 64GB and I was out of space. Now that I have this new M1 1TB I can give it a go!

this M1 12.9” 1TB is a massive upgrade for me!

1Tb would scare me heh!

I’ve got a boatload of old BM3 sessions that were peaking around the 85% cpu area and then as some AUs updated they began to lag and pop so never finished them and didnt bother exporting to desktop. The thought of going in and Fabbing them up on an M1 Pro has me excited so yah think I want back in now…