Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Recommend an app that can randomly change AUV3 parameters

Hi,

I want to be able to randomly (but with some control) various AUV3 app parameters in AUM. For example I want to be able to change the octave knob in DRC randomly every say 3-10 seconds. What apps can do this and is it easy to wire up?

Thanks

Comments

• wimwim
    edited May 2021

You could use Rozeta LFO or MIDI LFOs with Sample & Hold waveforms running at a slow speed. It's just a matter of mapping the right CC's from each LFO to the AUv3 parameters for each app in AUM.

Ape Matrix has that functionality built-in.

• In Drambo you can turn any modulation signal into a CC. There is a random number generator module that sends a new number (value) every time it receives a gate. You can enter the scale amount in the RNG too, so you can limit the range of its output. You can either place a trig on the sequencer to generate a new random value (every 2 bars for example). Or you could trigger the new value with an unsynced square or s&h lfo, if you want the randomization to be off the grid.
    Module Routing: gate>RNG>CC Generator> Midi output

But like Wim said, a slow s&h lfo would also do the trick.

• Thanks.

Want to use AUM not another host. And have Rozeta and it works, cool. Is there anything else that would give me more control over the randomness? I know that sounds odd. ;-)

• @NimboStratus said:
    Thanks.

Want to use AUM not another host. And have Rozeta and it works, cool. Is there anything else that would give me more control over the randomness? I know that sounds odd. ;-)

If you want more control over randomness, you could take my RNG example, but put a Bernoulli gate before the RNG. The Bernoulli gate is just controlling probability. So you could have a probability of 10% that a new value will be generated (for every x triggers). Or you could set the probability that a new value is generated for every trigger.

A simpler method for controlled randomness would be to take the probability of the gate sequencer, and then draw in the precise values you want. Sample the velocity (the vertical bars) from the sequencer at the same time as a gate is let through the Bernoulli gate. Now you have control over all potential levels for your controlled parameter, and the probability of them triggering.

• edited May 2021

Don’t use drambo (at least not yet !). ;-)

• @NimboStratus said:
    Don’t use drambo at least not yet !

If you ever decide to use it, feel free to ask and I can make the patches for you ;)

• I'd use miRack: incredible amount of modules for controlling your randomness, and you just need to wire them to the MIDI CC Out module and voilà, you'll get random CC values.

• @jsmonzani said:
    I'd use miRack: incredible amount of modules for controlling your randomness, and you just need to wire them to the MIDI CC Out module and voilà, you'll get random CC values.

Looks very complicated! But interesting, nevertheless

• Hmm. Seems like I might need to take the plunge on Drambo or mirack at some point

• Depends on how wild you want to go. Check out the threads on holon.ist that generates CCs which can be piped through mirack to give you an amazing array of siganls, taken from anything from the Sun’s elavation, your GPS or even your heartbeat. Just type in Audiobus forum sear h box or Youtube’s search box for Holon.ist.

• @NimboStratus said:

@jsmonzani said:
    I'd use miRack: incredible amount of modules for controlling your randomness, and you just need to wire them to the MIDI CC Out module and voilà, you'll get random CC values.

Looks very complicated! But interesting, nevertheless

It can look overwhelming but it’s quite simple: I use one module to produce random values controlled by rate, offset and scale and then connect them, for instance here to modulate the x value of pure piano.

• @wim said:
    Ape Matrix has that functionality built-in.

Yeah, apeMatrix is all about this.

• MidiLFO can do it quick and easy

• @cuscolima said:

MidiLFO can do it quick and easy

Interesting, a nice simple solution might be best for me here. Does that change randomly over time? Could you post a video?

• Also could midiLFO be passed into midiGATEs?

• Is there an app that shows cc numbers when you touch a parameter? Make it easier to assign cc numbers to Lfo’s etc

I thought MIDISpy would do it but can only seem to get note data

• edited May 2021

@muzka said:
    Is there an app that shows cc numbers when you touch a parameter? Make it easier to assign cc numbers to Lfo’s etc

I thought MIDISpy would do it but can only seem to get note data

Most apps don't output CC, only receive them. Furthermore, most apps don't have default midi assignments. Which makes it problematic to make and share controller setups for specific apps.

• Mozaic has a midi cc randomizer script.

• A lot of roads seem to lead to Mozaic😜

• edited May 2021

@Poppadocrock this one ?

https://patchstorage.com/midi-cc-randomizer-and-scenes/

Is there one that changes over time

• @NimboStratus said:
    A lot of roads seem to lead to Mozaic😜

Dead simple script in Mozaic. Could also use StreamByter.

• @NimboStratus said:
    @Poppadocrock this one ?

https://patchstorage.com/midi-cc-randomizer-and-scenes/

Is there one that changes over time

Check out this Wiki page: https://wiki.audiob.us/doku.php?id=mozaic_scripts_list starting with the section 'CC Scripts'.

There are many different functionalities available. It's possible you might find something that solves what you are after.

• Mozaic always saves the day :)

• Great info here! Thanks all!

• @NimboStratus said:
    Also could midiLFO be passed into midiGATEs?

No. midiGATES only works on notes, note CC's.

• I see no reason why Mozaic is needed here.

An S&H (Sample and Hold) LFO in Rozeta or midiLFOs outputs randomly changing midi CC's over time. This is exactly what you need. You just need to map the CC that it outputs to the parameter you want to automate and it will change to random values over time. Simple.

This doesn't need to be complicated.

• @wim said:
    I see no reason why Mozaic is needed here.

An S&H (Sample and Hold) LFO in Rozeta or midiLFOs outputs randomly changing midi CC's over time. This is exactly what you need. You just need to map the CC that it outputs to the parameter you want to automate and it will change to random values over time. Simple.

It’s iOS; it’ll be complicated one way or another.

• @wim said:
    I see no reason why Mozaic is needed here.

This.

If you want more random in your random, you can assign additional LFOs to control the parameters is this one. MIDILFOS has some of that jazz built-in (no additional AUM routing needed). Check the sliders to the right of the waveform. You can go deeper if you do the routing manually.

• wimwim
    edited May 2021

@lukesleepwalker I don't see this as any more complicated on iOS than it would be on desktop. Either way a random source such as an S&H LFO would have to be midi mapped to a synth parameter. It's not any easier to do this on any desktop DAW I've used than it is on iOS, but admittedly the range of desktop DAWs I've used is limited.

• edited May 2021

Another vote for miRack. Lots of options. Triggered envelopes, LFO, s&h, go nuts.