Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Can you recommend a controller for AUM and Logic?

edited May 2021 in Other

Hi,

I tend to record all AUM tracks out to Logic via Audio4c/18i20. This works and allows me to record 18 tracks simultaneously. I then usually automate in Logic.

However I also want to be able to do the same thing but change stuff in the AUM like tempo, volume sliders, plus manipulate AUV3 etc properties like the octave value in DRC whilst recording down to Logic. I know I can do it via the touch screen but want a more traditional interface, something with knobs/slider etc.

Also once in Logic I want to be then be able to record automated like pan, mute, volume via the same controller.

Was looking at something like the nanoKontrol studio, would that do it? Or can you recommend anything else to check out, thanks.

Sorry if something like this had been asked before but I wanted to ask my specific version and still very new to this.

Comments

• This guy is using a Launchcontrol XL, and not very expensive.

• edited May 2021

Nice, is there a general vibe on the forum for that over the nano ? Or are they much the same?

I trust any button can be used to assign to things? For example muting a track? And can you use a know to change AUM tempo?

• The thing is, every tine u change a session you will need to manually set up your nanokontrol knobs to align with your on screen knobs. Not a good experience, I gave up on this

• edited May 2021

@Gavinski said:
    The thing is, every tine u change a session you will need to manually set up your nanokontrol knobs to align with your on screen knobs. Not a good experience, I gave up on this

Wow you cannot save the assignment in the AUM project? Is that true of all controllers?

Planning on using it just during the ‘final’ session when the piece going to Logic so once the project is ready to go to Logic for the polish etc. And won’t need it for all projects as won’t need manual changes on the fly for each one

• edited May 2021

@NimboStratus said:

@Gavinski said:
    The thing is, every tine u change a session you will need to manually set up your nanokontrol knobs to align with your on screen knobs. Not a good experience, I gave up on this

Wow you cannot save the assignment in the AUM project? Is that true of all controllers?

Planning on using it just during the ‘final’ session when the piece going to Logic so once the project is ready to go to Logic for the polish etc. And won’t need it for all projects as won’t need manual changes on the fly for each one

Yeah, if you revisit a session, and you had cutoff frequency at 60% in DRC, but your nanokontrol knob doesn't allign with that, then the moment you move the knob then DRC's cutoff frequency is going to jump to the hardware's position. This is the problem with pots, and software which doesn't support midi takeover / pick up modes.

You'd be better off with a controller that uses encoders rather than pots. The encoders don't have physical positions, so you will never get jumping parameters when playing different sessions or opening different presets.

But, encoders aren't as responsive or dynamically 'playable' as pots. If you're using it for mixdowns, maybe just make sure all controlled parameters are updated with the current positions of the physical pots on your controllers (by wiggling everything once).

• Ah a little wiggle is as a workaround is acceptance 😂

• edited May 2021

I have a Korg nanoKontrol 2 and the LaunchControl XL. I also gave up using them with AUM. It’s too much hassle to always Midi learn and having an empty template project somehow does not work for me. You cannot just rearrange your tracks. I need to spontaneously add a channel. Moreover there is no feedback from AUM to the controller so that the lights are not lit properly. At least I found a workaround to set the nano control to local lights management.

Cubasis 3.3 is doing this absolutely right now and using these controllers is a breeze. It’s even better with the small nanoKontrol 2 as it is fully supported. All the lights, rearranging tracks is reflected on the controller and you can even scroll over the channels so that you can control more than 8. So i’m working on streamlining my workflow to be creative with AUM and then finalize the project in Cubasis.

• Kinda how I work, be creative in AUM and finish in Logic Pro X. But part of the creative part in AUM is the adjusting of things during the dump to Logic. Don’t care about lights particularly just want to be able to trigger sounds, adjust parameters etc without using touchscreen

• Also it looks like a can use a controller to record automation in Logic Pro. That would be amazing!

• Probably a launchpad x ( plus lcxl or faderfox ec4 )

• I know the ec4 can do filter sweeps with its acceleration mode. Meaning you turn fast and its more like a pot controller.

• @sigma79 said:
    Probably a launchpad x ( plus lcxl or faderfox ec4 )

Isn’t that for ableton? Need sliders / knobs mainly to record automation in logic and Params in AUM during dump to logic

• edited May 2021

@NimboStratus said:

@sigma79 said:
    Probably a launchpad x ( plus lcxl or faderfox ec4 )

Isn’t that for ableton? Need sliders / knobs mainly to record automation in logic and Params in AUM during dump to logic

Sorry mate. Thought you ment Aum.

The LCxl. Has more knobs/faders. So you could map say 16 channels of mutes and solo across 4 scenes if it has 4 scenes and keep the knobs and faders across scenes the same cc?

• Want to control AUM stuff when recording to Logic. But ALSO use it to record automation in Logic afterwards

The nanokontrol studio seems to work with both AFAIK.

But thanks anyway 😊

• Key question and I should know ( as Im a midi wizard/failure )

Does Aum filter only note incoming midi ( with the filter thing ) If so. Then it shouldnt matter if knobs are a different midi channel and same cc per ch or same midi ch and all different cc. Just so you arnt needing to use editor to always customise. I guess you might only x map when importing a synth thats mapped ( which you could then re-map )

• Anyway. Someone will advise you better with your question

• @sigma79 said:
    Key question and I should know ( as Im a midi wizard/failure )

Does Aum filter only note incoming midi ( with the filter thing ) If so. Then it shouldnt matter if knobs are a different midi channel and same cc per ch or same midi ch and all different cc. Just so you arnt needing to use editor to always customise. I guess you might only x map when importing a synth thats mapped ( which you could then re-map )

Nah, you can use both midi notes and cc messages in AUM.
    I have three midi controllers which I use with AUM for different configurations.

Korg Nanokontrol mki 4 x scenes
    LC XL 8 x custom mappings + 8 factory mappings
    LP X 4 x custom mappings not including session mode and note mode

MIDISynth Control works a treat for both the LC XL and the LP X.
    The thing with all three is the fact that they are not designed to remember different values per project.
    You always have to adjust the rotaries and faders to latch back onto the parameters saved in a project.

Something along the lines of a Behringer BCF2000 with motorised
    faders would most probably be more useful if you need instant recall.

• What / why are the scenes used for?

• For me, each project will be “downloaded” to Logic once so remembering values isn’t important. Also recording the automation into Logic project is a one off process.

• @NimboStratus said:
    What / why are the scenes used for?

In regards to the Nanokontrol?
    It has a limited amount of physical faders etc so you switch
    between the scenes to cover the 0-127 cc messages range.

Scenes is another word for custom mappings in context.

@NimboStratus said:
    For me, each project will be “downloaded” to Logic once so remembering values isn’t important. Also recording the automation into Logic project is a one off process.

As that is the case if you need physical faders go for the LC XL,
    whereas the LP X uses the pads, echoopera shows the LP X in use here

Though the LP X is mapped to dRambo, the same method can be applied
    to any app or software that responds to cc messages and note information.

• @Gravitas thanks, and why the LC XL over the nanokontrol studio, is it more flexible/easier to use/better quality etc? Ta.

• @NimboStratus said:
    @Gravitas thanks, and why the LC XL over the nanokontrol studio, is it more flexible/easier to use/better quality etc? Ta.

No, I was referring to the Nanokontrol mki not the Nanokontrol Studio.
    I would presume that the Nanonkontrol Studio
    will provide the same functions as the LC XL.

As far as I'm concerned what every rocks your boat.
    It's about choice.
    If the Nanokontrol Studio suits your rig then go for that one.

• I don’t have aum, but does mackie control work with it? If so, then any mackie control capable surface, such as behringer x-touch, icon qcontrol, etc would work. They work with logic very well.