Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Recording the audio from AUM while transport is stopped...

EDIT: I think I've answered my own question using Audiobus and Loopy... hopefully. Forgot about Loopy!

Does anyone have any clues how to do this? I have a song that starts with some freeform live playing, after which I hit play in AUM and the more structured part begins. I'm using L7 looper to record that freeform audio to reuse it during the outro (thankfully it records while AUM is stopped), and I'm using Group the Loop to do some looping within the main song. So it can't involve using either those 2 apps!
Is there a freestanding audio recording IAA app that I could route into from the output of AUM?

Comments

• would still be interested in the original questions! So whether that works without an audiobus or loopy?

• edited May 2021

@banalytic Actually I couldn't get it to work. So I decided to hit start at the very beginning, and then trigger a couple of things after the freeform bit. It's kind of a hassle as I have a drum pattern in Atom which can start as soon as I hit AUM's play, then there's a couple of midi tracks in Helium I want to come in 4 bars later. They are song length, like 100 bars of chordal playing and basslines, and Atom just doesn't cope with that currently, though apparently it's fixed in the beta and the next release should be ok.

So I went with Helium, and that has no problems with that, but triggering it is kinda more awkward. in sync mode it will start from when you hit play in AUM, but to start later on you have to exit sync, which means it probably will be out of sync when you manually trigger its play command. So I've got to set up a couple of snapshots, one with a couple bars of silence, then another with my song stuff, and make sure it's set to the first pattern on start, then trigger the second pattern which will then start in sync. But if you screw it up and want to restart, you have to remember to set it back to the first pattern again or it will start playing the second when you restart.

So that's a fair bit of making sure your ducks are all in a row when you're aiming to perform something live...

There's the song mode so you can sequence that kind of thing, but then it would start from the beginning of AUMs play command so that's out too as I don't time my freefrom intro...

All fun and games....

• thanks for this answer!

• @SimonSomeone said:
    EDIT: I think I've answered my own question using Audiobus and Loopy... hopefully. Forgot about Loopy!

Does anyone have any clues how to do this? I have a song that starts with some freeform live playing, after which I hit play in AUM and the more structured part begins. I'm using L7 looper to record that freeform audio to reuse it during the outro (thankfully it records while AUM is stopped), and I'm using Group the Loop to do some looping within the main song. So it can't involve using either those 2 apps!
    Is there a freestanding audio recording IAA app that I could route into from the output of AUM?

If can be done with Loopy. You also need Audiobus 3. Search for Loopy in the wiki and you will find an article with links to video tutorials about it

• edited May 2021

For recording, but not live use, you can also use Audio Evolution, or Cubasis, or another DAW. I use AE.

Set the channel outputs in AUM to IAA, create matching audio tracks in the daw of your choice, (e.g. in AE, create an audio track, click on the input button, which will be showing ‘ iOS Mono 1’ then scroll the list of possible audio ins till you find the channel outs from AUM You’ll find them showing as Kymatica Port 1 IAA, Port 2IAA etc..).

Select it, bop back to AUM, go to the Output slot on each channel, select IAA/Audiobus output, and pick the corresponding DAW track. Once you’ve set up as many audio tracks in the DAW as you have channel outs in AUM (I think you’ll find the Max possible at once is 8) and while you are still in AE a final time, set the DAW running in record, then flip back to AUM, record as much transport-stopped live noise/playing as you want (I often use it to capture auto running un-Ableton synced sounds I set in motion before the main event), then hit the AUM transport.

At the end, when you hit stop on the AUM transport, you can leave the DAW app running to capture natural effect trails in your DAW wavs at the end of the piece. It’s then trivial to go back to the DAW and edit out the second or so of silence you get between setting the DAW running and starting AUM up. Job done.

• Thanks people!