Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ID700 Garageband AuV3 Crash Problem

I can’t export any song on ios GB that has an ID700 as an AuV3 plugin. Well, I can, but ID700 stops so that I lose anything in the export that was ID700 related, even if select the “reload the plugin” error message.
Sometimes, when it asks me to reload the plugin, I then get a message saying the app doesn’t exist on my iPad.
Using an iPad 2019 3rd Gen. Im trying to export as a wav. Anyone else had this? Is GB or ID700? I have never had this with any other app.

Comments

• edited May 2021

Is the developer of ID700 on here? I suspect they're not handling the various AU reset calls that GB makes during an offline render. All the hosts do this differently, which is why sometimes audio export works with an AU on one host and not another.

A particular feature that might be unique to GB, is that they also deallocate and reallocate render resources. I can imagine that would mess-up an AU big time if you're not expecting it.

For any developers interested, from the horse's mouth, so to speak:

The basic expectation of host behavior would be something like this:

• deallocate render resources

• set the renderingOffline flag to true

• allocate render resources

• render

Then you can expect all that in reverse more or less, once the render is done.

• @modosc ?

@Riffulator The message that the app doesn't exist may be an occurrence of the "missing AUv3" bug in iOS 14. The only known cure is an iPad restart, power off, not just sleep. And the fix may only be temporary.

• edited May 2021

@moodscaper said:
    Is the developer of ID700 on here? I suspect they're not handling the various AU reset calls that GB makes during an offline render. All the hosts do this differently, which is why sometimes audio export works with an AU on one host and not another.

A particular feature that might be unique to GB, is that they also deallocate and reallocate render resources. I can imagine that would mess-up an AU big time if you're not expecting it.

For any developers interested, from the horse's mouth, so to speak:

The basic expectation of host behavior would be something like this:

• deallocate render resources

• set the renderingOffline flag to true

• allocate render resources

• render

Then you can expect all that in reverse more or less, once the render is done.

I can think of at least 3 other developers whose effects and synths fail to properly load when exporting the final audio files and they’ve still not updated their apps.

Number 1: Sensual Sax by @embertone. Great sounding sax, but will not save the app state and properly load during export.

Number 2: @CaelumAudio’s TapePro. Very problematic during song export from iOS GarageBand. Again, a great sounding app but chokes at the end of the production process.

• @uncledave said:
    @modosc ?

@Riffulator The message that the app doesn't exist may be an occurrence of the "missing AUv3" bug in iOS 14. The only known cure is an iPad restart, power off, not just sleep. And the fix may only be temporary.

The old “turn it off and turn it on again”. To be fair I haven’t tried it so I’ll give it a go. Cheers.

• @moodscaper said:
    Is the developer of ID700 on here? I suspect they're not handling the various AU reset calls that GB makes during an offline render. All the hosts do this differently, which is why sometimes audio export works with an AU on one host and not another. Etc...........

I have emailed them, to no avail. Hopefully they might see this.

• i’m looking into this now.

• @uncledave said:
    @modosc ?

I can confirm that did work, but can’t comment on how temporary that is .😁

@modosc said:
    i’m looking into this now.

Nice. Cheers.

• i released 1.6 to the app store today which has fixes for this, hopefully the problem should be resolved.

• @modosc - was I on the right track? Just curious :smile:

• @moodscaper said:
    @modosc - was I on the right track? Just curious :smile:

i'm using juce so (fortunately) all that was hidden from me. in this case the issue was garageband sending parameter updates on the audio thread instead of the messaging thread.