Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Finally got it working! An MPE success story starring Atom 2, GeoSWAM, and my new Launchpad Pro MK3

Comments

• @espiegel123 said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @Intrepolicious : it turns out that you don't need anything besides Atom. Just set the atoms that are connected to GeoSWAM to use funnel mode and set the Atoms to output their MIDI on channel 2. I just tried it and it works great and had no stuck notes for me.

@espiegel123 said:
    In the App Store version, I think you need to uncheck the MPE mode in Atom for this to work -- so that it will funnel the MIDI to the output channel you've set.

Really? You tried this with a launchpad?

Victor was saying make sure MPE was “ON”(?)

In this case yes, because this isn't really MPE. We are faking MPE by simply recording everything on sending to GeoShred on channel 2.

And, yes, I tried this. With the MPE checkbox on (in the app store version) it didn't work but turning it off did. I didn't have time to look at what the difference in MIDI stream was. In any case, we aren't really doing MPE here, we are simply trying to send all the data to channel 2.

Would you please share an AUM session for us, umm, slower people?

• edited May 2021

@blueveek said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @Intrepolicious : it turns out that you don't need anything besides Atom. Just set the atoms that are connected to GeoSWAM to use funnel mode and set the Atoms to output their MIDI on channel 2. I just tried it and it works great and had no stuck notes for me.

@espiegel123 said:
    In the App Store version, I think you need to uncheck the MPE mode in Atom for this to work -- so that it will funnel the MIDI to the output channel you've set.

I was just going by the signal chain you mentioned in the other thread, assuming that all of the other intermediary AUs were needed. I don't actually know how to set this up, and if none of that complicated setup is required and just Atom 2 is sufficient, then it's possible that @espiegel123 is right.

@espiegel123 said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@espiegel123 said:

@espiegel123 said:

In this case yes, because this isn't really MPE. We are faking MPE by simply recording everything on sending to GeoShred on channel 2.

And, yes, I tried this. With the MPE checkbox on (in the app store version) it didn't work but turning it off did. I didn't have time to look at what the difference in MIDI stream was. In any case, we aren't really doing MPE here, we are simply trying to send all the data to channel 2.

Wow, This is awesome! Thank you guys for looking into this. I really do appreciate it. If I can make this work without any hiccups, stuck notes, and erratic behavior, I’ll be a super happy camper!

Of course I’m stuck at work now, far away from my iPad and my LP, in a building full of people that can’t even spell synthesizer lol

I’ll definitely be trying this out when I get back home later tonight!

• @audiobussy said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@espiegel123 said:

@espiegel123 said:

I’ll share my project later tonight, after I fix it up per these guy’s suggestions.

• edited May 2021

• @Intrepolicious said:

@audiobussy said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@espiegel123 said:

@espiegel123 said:

I’ll share my project later tonight, after I fix it up per these guy’s suggestions.

Thank you!!!

• @audiobussy said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@audiobussy said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@espiegel123 said:

@espiegel123 said:

Thank you!!!

Unfortunately, it isn't likely that I'll get back to my gear for a few days -- but there isn't anything tricky about the Atom setup. Let it record from the launchpad as you normally would. Atom's channel settings let you set it to send all the output to a particular channel. Set it up so that it is sending everything to MIDI Channel 2. And have MPE mode turned off since we aren't dealing with real MPE. We are simply making sure that all the note and controller data goes to MIDI Channel 2 since that is what GeoSWAM wants to see. (They are monophonic).

• @audiobussy said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@audiobussy said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@espiegel123 said:

@espiegel123 said:

Thank you!!!

@espiegel123 said:

@audiobussy said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@audiobussy said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@espiegel123 said:

@espiegel123 said:

Thank you!!!

Unfortunately, it isn't likely that I'll get back to my gear for a few days -- but there isn't anything tricky about the Atom setup. Let it record from the launchpad as you normally would. Atom's channel settings let you set it to send all the output to a particular channel. Set it up so that it is sending everything to MIDI Channel 2. And have MPE mode turned off since we aren't dealing with real MPE. We are simply making sure that all the note and controller data goes to MIDI Channel 2 since that is what GeoSWAM wants to see. (They are monophonic).

Yeah, sorry I haven’t had time to get back to this project yet. I’ll be playing with it today and will share my project here later. Promise❤️

• edited May 2021

Things working well for me with the method from @espiegel123. I've tried with MPE in Atom (disabling CH1), but it's not necessary because, as pointed out, Geoswam is monophonic so it's fine to send everything on a single channel.

My chain is LPX > Atom2 (sending on CH2 only ) > Geoshred, then Geoshred midi routed in AUM back to Atom's input.

This seems to work fine, recording note data and the expression X-Y data into Atom.

I was slightly surprised, because you're creating a midi feedback loop with the notes getting there twice, so for good housekeeping reasons I've also tried with an instance of MIDI Clone & Filter between Geoshred's midi output and Atom's midi input (so Geoshred > MIDI Clone & Filter > Atom 2).

I have MIDI clone and Filter set as , "Send to..." CH2 (though that could be anything as Atom is listening on all channels) and then "Skip When.." Note On & Note off (to filter out the repeat note data). Also filtering out 'Pitch Wheel' as Midi Monitor indicated that was coming through when playing notes from the Launchpad, I figure I've already got what I want from the LP when it's made its first journey through Atom.

I'm not sure if all that is necessary or if I've arrived at the correct filtering choices, but setting it up (and tweaking) is fairly straightforward.

EDIT: not had an opportunity to play with Atom's MPE abilities until now, Wow, that really is something phenomenal. Now dreaming of that MPE Launchpad...

ANOTHER EDIT: Something that caught me out is that when you delete note data in Atom it keeps any recorded CC data, which then creates some unexpected mayhem when you play in new notes. I'm sure I just need to RTFM on this (Reload UI on the top right hamburger seems to clear it).

• edited May 2021

which SWAM preset are you using? Seaboard?

• @steve99 said:
    Things working well for me with the method from @espiegel123. I've tried with MPE in Atom (disabling CH1), but it's not necessary because, as pointed out, Geoswam is monophonic so it's fine to send everything on a single channel.

My chain is LPX > Atom2 (sending on CH2 only ) > Geoshred, then Geoshred midi routed in AUM back to Atom's input.

This seems to work fine, recording note data and the expression X-Y data into Atom.

I was slightly surprised, because you're creating a midi feedback loop with the notes getting there twice, so for good housekeeping reasons I've also tried with an instance of MIDI Clone & Filter between Geoshred's midi output and Atom's midi input (so Geoshred > MIDI Clone & Filter > Atom 2).

I have MIDI clone and Filter set as , "Send to..." CH2 (though that could be anything as Atom is listening on all channels) and then "Skip When.." Note On & Note off (to filter out the repeat note data). Also filtering out 'Pitch Wheel' as Midi Monitor indicated that was coming through when playing notes from the Launchpad, I figure I've already got what I want from the LP when it's made its first journey through Atom.

I'm not sure if all that is necessary or if I've arrived at the correct filtering choices, but setting it up (and tweaking) is fairly straightforward.

EDIT: not had an opportunity to play with Atom's MPE abilities until now, Wow, that really is something phenomenal. Now dreaming of that MPE Launchpad...

Indeed! These are some incredible capabilities that they’ve just thrown at our feet. They ( @blueveek , @moForte and of course @j_liljedahl ) have done all the hard work making these tools, and now it’s up to us to create something amazing!

Big THANK YOU to these TOP TIER developers! You’re making our musical dreams come true! (Mine anyways!!)

Also, another big THANK YOU goes to @espiegel123 for his continued help and sharing his knowledge and wisdom! Without his assistance I’d probably still be chasing my tail...

• edited May 2021

@audiobussy said:

In Geoshred I'm using AU MPE for my Launchpad X (via Atom) - because it's working, not necessarily because it's the best or the correct one.

• edited May 2021

Here’s a “bare bones” saved project with GeoShred and Atom. Let me know if the link works..

@audiobussy said:

@steve99 said:

@audiobussy said:

In Geoshred I'm using AU MPE for my Launchpad X (via Atom) - because it's working, not necessarily because it's the best or the correct one.

I just use the GeoSWAM tenor sax #1 which should, by default be using “MPE Channel Mode”.

Edit: hang on, evidently I don’t know how to properly share stuff lol

• @Intrepolicious said:
    Here’s a “bare bones” saved project with GeoShred and Atom. Let me know if the link works..

@audiobussy said:

@steve99 said:

@audiobussy said:

I just use the GeoSWAM tenor sax #1 which should, by default be using “MPE Channel Mode”.

How do you find out what the default should be? (definitely more manual reading needed for me).

• So, I was thinking wouldn’t it be cool if @moForte had a little “applet” of just their little X/Y expression thing.

Is there an app out there that has only this?

I’m looking at the “Touche SE” that @LinearLineman is talking about getting, but that is a couple hundred bucks. For now, a little on screen expression controller will suit me just fine. (Either that or I’ll map one of my mod wheels on one of my other regular controllers)

• @steve99 said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@audiobussy said:

@steve99 said:

@audiobussy said:

How do you find out what the default should be? (definitely more manual reading needed for me).

Just don’t change anything when you load up GeoShred. It should start up in its default setting for the GeoSWAM instruments. Al least I think it does?

• @Intrepolicious said:
    So, I was thinking wouldn’t it be cool if @moForte had a little “applet” of just their little X/Y expression thing.

I’m looking at the “Touche SE” that @LinearLineman is talking about getting, but that is a couple hundred bucks. For now, a little on screen expression controller will suit me just fine. (Either that or I’ll map one of my mod wheels on one of my other regular controllers)

Midi designer can be 'designed' an assignable X/Y pad (with accelerometer if you want it), but I've only ever used that from a second device. Not AUv3, but should work fine on the same device.

Turnado has 4 brilliant X-Y pads you can access from a tab on the front screen. They have midi out (activate midi out in settings), so you could just use them as midi controllers and not as an audio processor. They are fixed CC's (1-8), but there are ways to remap if needed (I've used the Midi Remap in NuRack for similar jobs).

• edited May 2021

Brambos Rozeta comes with X/Y pad controller included.
    2XY + modwheel + pitchbend
    Looks like it’s made for that

• @steve99 said:

@Intrepolicious said:
    So, I was thinking wouldn’t it be cool if @moForte had a little “applet” of just their little X/Y expression thing.

Midi designer can be 'designed' an assignable X/Y pad (with accelerometer if you want it), but I've only ever used that from a second device. Not AUv3, but should work fine on the same device.

Turnado has 4 brilliant X-Y pads you can access from a tab on the front screen. They have midi out (activate midi out in settings), so you could just use them as midi controllers and not as an audio processor. They are fixed CC's (1-8), but there are ways to remap if needed (I've used the Midi Remap in NuRack for similar jobs).

Oh! This reminds me, I have a couple older iPhones (a 6+ w/headphone jack!, and a 7 Plus) that could fill this role. I’ll just keep it off to the left side of my launchpad for the expressions.

Hmmm “MIDI designer” eh?

• @0tolerance4silence said:

BAM! I have it. Thank you! 🙏

• @Intrepolicious said:

@steve99 said:

@Intrepolicious said:

Oh! This reminds me, I have a couple older iPhones (a 6+ w/headphone jack!, and a 7 Plus) that could fill this role. I’ll just keep it off to the left side of my launchpad for the expressions.

Hmmm “MIDI designer” eh?

Programming Midi Designer is a bit like taking a foreign language course (I imagine), but it can be very useful, especially as a bluetooth controller from an old device - though my own 7 plus is still at the vanguard, not old yet :) Also quite expensive, but occasionally it does go on sale.

I'd forgotten about Rozetta for this though, elegant and simple as would be expected, ideal.

• edited May 2021

@steve99 said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@steve99 said:

@Intrepolicious said:

Hmmm “MIDI designer” eh?

Programming Midi Designer is a bit like taking a foreign language course (I imagine), but it can be very useful, especially as a bluetooth controller from an old device - though my own 7 plus is still at the vanguard, not old yet :) Also quite expensive, but occasionally it does go on sale.

I'd forgotten about Rozetta for this though, elegant and simple as would be expected, ideal.

@Intrepolicious said:

@0tolerance4silence said:

Well, hmmm, GeoShred’s X/Y thing doesn’t appear to be exposed. I guess I’ll be asking for help again lol

How to?

• @Intrepolicious said:

@steve99 said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@steve99 said:

@Intrepolicious said:

Hmmm “MIDI designer” eh?

@Intrepolicious said:

Well, hmmm, GeoShred’s X/Y thing doesn’t appear to be exposed. I guess I’ll be asking for help again lol

How to?

If those parameters respond to midi (which is likely - sorry don’t have GSh), once you find out which CC# they respond to, you can just target bram xy at GSh without host midi learn.

• @Intrepolicious said:

@steve99 said:

@Intrepolicious said:

Hmmm “MIDI designer” eh?

My brother, you should be using that 7 Plus as a touch sensitive MPE controller via GeoShred and BT Midi to AUM on iPad!!!

• By the way, this is working for me. Thanks to all involved

• @0tolerance4silence said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@steve99 said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@steve99 said:

@Intrepolicious said:

Hmmm “MIDI designer” eh?

@Intrepolicious said:

How to?

If those parameters respond to midi (which is likely - sorry don’t have GSh), once you find out which CC# they respond to, you can just target bram xy at GSh without host midi learn.

I’ll be taking a look at this. Thank you!

@audiobussy said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@steve99 said:

@Intrepolicious said:

Hmmm “MIDI designer” eh?

My brother, you should be using that 7 Plus as a touch sensitive MPE controller via GeoShred and BT Midi to AUM on iPad!!!

Well both of these old phones have cracked screens, but I’ll be getting at least one of them fixed, just for this!

I do wonder though, if I should fix the 6 Plus over the 7... (?) It has the 3.5 mm headphone jack you know. Not that I’d need that for this particular application, but for... ah hell! I’ll just get both of them fixed!

@audiobussy said:
    By the way, this is working for me. Thanks to all involved

Yessir! Yeah I’m ecstatic over here with this saxophone. I have other SWAM stuff (several of their brass instruments) and just got the new SWAM strings cello, but there’s something about this GeoShred SWAM tenor sax that I just can’t put down.

It’s addictive as hell! And now that I can actually record expressive performances on the fly?

I’d be totally happy and content quitting my job now! Just stick me on a desert island with just my iPad and my launchpad and be just fine!

• edited May 2021

Is anyone doing anything interesting incorporating the launch pad pro sequencer into the set up? Or LK?

• @audiobussy said:

Is anyone doing anything interesting incorporating the launch pad pro sequencer into the set up? Or LK?

I was actually just messing with the LPP’s sequencer. I have it driving my DM12 so far with the LPP’s MIDI out jacks.

Haven’t tried sequencing anything on the iPad with this part of it yet, but I assume it’s pretty straight forward. I LOVE the micro-step editing (stutter/ratchet) functions on this!

There’s a ton that I haven’t even tried yet on the LPP MK3, like the unquantized stuff, the custom modes, and the light show capabilities just to name a few.

I’ve got my head around the Session mode (with Ableton on the PC, as well as using it with the iPad), Note and chord modes I understand, and I know how to access and change all the scales and various settings in these areas.

Beyond that, I feel like there’s still a whole lot more device here to discover! It’s an amazing piece of kit!

LK is great, I just can’t get past the UI.

If they’d hire someone to make it a little more pleasant to look at and work with, I’d probably use it. Maybe if it had some different “skins” that we could choose from?

Right now though, Atom 2 is where it’s at (for me!) There’s nothing out there as elegant, responsive, fluid, or functional. It truly is a joy to use!

• edited May 2021

On the LK front, I've been playing with all the things @Intrepolicious has brought up in this thread, although I'm doing it with my Launchpad X and iPad plugged into my iMac connected with Studiomux.

I wrote in another thread how you can pass the LP's session control from desktop to LK on the iPad (via Studiomux) by 'firing' it up in Ableton and then deselecting Live's midi control inputs. Today I discovered this doesn't work for Atom, so now I've gone to using LK to trigger the Atom clips as well as routing the LP note midi to different SWAMs and Geoshred SWAM.

First major hurdle was discovering C1 in Atom is C2 in LK. Then, I've stretched the trigger note in LK to be the full length of the Atom clip and, as I don't want to mute the incoming midi in Atom, reduced the note velocity in LK to 2 (which seems to be the trigger threshold).

Not all perfect yet, but I think I'm going in the right direction. The Atom default for clip triggering is on CH16, though you can change that along with the trigger message type in the pattern settings, accessed by pressing the 'P.XX" button just below play/stop at the top of the piano roll.

Off back down the rabbit hole.

• Interesting @steve99

I saw your edit on the cc data still being present after deleting notes. I believe that’s the “Black box”, and you're right, it does lead to some interesting results!