Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How to synch clock with AUM Circuit Tracks and Group the Loop

I’m sort of need to this. I know how to turn in the transmit and receive off the clock in circuit tracks. What I’d like to do is have any of these devices be the master and the others follow. I’d like to loop Circuit Tracks along with apps on the iPad. But as much as I’ve noodled, I haven’t be able to get anything to listen to one another. What an I missing?

Comments

• wimwim
    edited May 2021

AUM doesn't slave to midi clock. If you need the hardware to be the master, one way to do it is to send the hardware clock to Audiobus, use that to bridge to Link, then have AUM follow Link. You don't have to load AUM into Audiobus, but you do need to have something (can be just the system audio output) as an output in Audiobus to keep it from suspending in the background. Audiobus is an excellent midi clock to Link bridge. People may recommend the Midi Link Sync app, but I think Audiobus is better.

I think if you load GTL into AUM, it might follow AUM for sync. Or, maybe it has Link Sync. I forget and can't try it out right now.

Generally it seems like people have better luck using iOS as the master rather than the other way around.

• GTL definitely has Ableton link, and will sync to AUM if hosted in it. AUM can also sync to GTL if needed, so you can record a
    freeform first loop in GTL that sets the BPM, which is then sent to AUM to follow. ... If that's what you were talking about...

• And the how to get Circuit Tracks to follow the beat?

• I don't know anything about circuit tracks, just putting my 2c worth in about the other 2 aspects, as you said you hadn't been able to get anything to listen to one another. I know at least AUM and GTL will listen to each other.

However I did a search and found that you can probably send midi clock from AUM to Circuit Tracks according to the manual

"Clock settings
    When Clock Rx is OFF, the clock is in internal mode and Circuit Tracks’ BPM is defined only by the
    internal tempo clock. Any external clock will be ignored. When Clock Rx is ON, Circuit Tracks is in
    AUTO mode and the BPM will be set by an externally applied MIDI clock at either the MIDI In or the
    USB ports if a valid one is applied; if this is not the case, Circuit Tracks will automatically switch to its
    internal clock.
    If Clock Tx is ON, Circuit Tracks is the clock master and its clock – whatever the source - will be
    available as MIDI Clock at the rear panel USB and MIDI Out connectors. Setting Clock Tx to OFF will
    result in no clock data being transmitted.
    See also “External clock” on page 86."

However I know a lot of people have had frustrations syncing iOS and external hardware, as indicated in this thread...
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/35462/aum-sending-bad-midi-clock

• I figured it out.

The problem was that I was looking in the wrong app! It's wasn't AUM or GTL. What I did was set the MIDI Clock Source in Audiobus to Circuit Tracks. Now, everything follows the tempo setting on Circuit Tracks. The Rx/Tx clock settings in Circuit Track are both set to On.