Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

2 Qs about ipad Pro USB C peripherals

First thing, the cable connecting my charger to my ipad is about to fray. Do u actually need these expensive official apple cables as replacements, or will anything do the job?

Second thing, any recommendations for a power brick that I could use to charge my 3rd gen Pro? Would be useful if I could also use it to charge my lightning 2md gen Pro and my USB C android phone. I ask because I remember hearing someone hear sharing horror stories about using non-official charging bricks / power bricks or whatever they are called with an ipad Pro

Comments

• edited May 2021

No, you can’t just buy anything. The cable should support proper PD negotiation. I think forum user @tahiche fried the chip on his iPad with a power bank and a cheap cable. I’m no expert on this matter but to my understanding if we use cables with an e-marker chip we should be fine.

https://www.renesas.com/us/en/support/engineer-school/usb-power-delivery-03-emarker-c-auth

https://www.elinfor.com/market/how-to-identify-the-usb-c-cables-with-or-without-e-maker-m-27

The second article shows the specs of some apple cables. Note that besides the max Volt and Ampere there is also the supported USB protocol, USB 3.1 in case of the Apple thunderbolt cable. Honestly I wonder if this shouldn’t be USB 4 to fully utilize Thunderbolt 3 of the new iPads Pro. Gee… these USB specs are a mess.

• Update: I quickly try to understand these USB 4 versus Thunderbolt 3 differences. So USB 4 is even more capable than thunderbolt 3. Intel made the the TB3 architecture available to the USB standardization group and they based the USB 4 spec on it but did not make it mandatory to implement the TB3 spec. So you can have a device that is USB 4 but cannot utilize TB3. Oh my….

Anyway in the end if the day sticking with the Apple cables and dongles is the safest option. But if manufacturers publish their cables/device specs properly we should be able to make good choices here as well.

• @krassmann said:
    No, you can’t just buy anything. The cable should support proper PD negotiation. I think forum user @tahiche fried the chip on his iPad with a power bank and a cheap cable. I’m no expert on this matter but to my understanding if we use cables with an e-marker chip we should be fine.

https://www.renesas.com/us/en/support/engineer-school/usb-power-delivery-03-emarker-c-auth

https://www.elinfor.com/market/how-to-identify-the-usb-c-cables-with-or-without-e-maker-m-27

The second article shows the specs of some apple cables. Note that besides the max Volt and Ampere there is also the supported USB protocol, USB 3.1 in case of the Apple thunderbolt cable. Honestly I wonder if this shouldn’t be USB 4 to fully utilize Thunderbolt 3 of the new iPads Pro. Gee… these USB specs are a mess.

Yes, I’m the iPad frier!. Not once, but twice.
    Be very careful with what you plug into your iPad that has any power or electric current. That said, I have no idea about what is safe or not and what to look for. The staff at Apple Store can’t say either.... @krassmann has pointed out good advices.
    In my case I’m pretty certain the “fire starter” was a powerbank battery. A cheap one. I bought a “good one” (Anker), and here I am, with an unfried iPad.
    Would I have fried my iPad with that old battery and a good cable with the e-marker chip?. No idea.
    Why did that same battery work perfectly fine for my older iPad Pro (lightning) for years?. No idea.
    It’s a very dangerous hit and miss...

• edited May 2021

Thanks - in the end I just decided to go with one of those Morphie powerbanks they sell in the apple stores specifically for iPad Pro or mac book etc. Thnx!

• I recommend Anker chargers and cables. Cheaper than Apple's and better. The cord-covered cables are especially good.

• You have erred on the side of caution and thus not erred at all.

• The older I get the more I prefer to err towards that side, Lineman, yup!