Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM Feature request (or, how can this be done?)

Sorry if this was asked before. I guess that it is probable that it was, because I'm pretty sure that more people have to have been bothered by this.

The question is: can an effect applied to a channel be "moved" or "replicated" to a different channel?

The typical scenario is: I have set up a channel with an instrument and one effect chain, but later I discover that I want to apply the same chain to more than one instrument, so I have to create a Bus channel, apply the same chain of effects to it, and redirect the required instruments to that channel.

I.e. Before:

After:

Currently, I have to save the settings of each effect in the chain, delete those effects, and load them again (reloading the saved presets) in a diferent channel.

My proposal is to be able to "drag and drop" effects between channels, or at least being able to duplicate an effect in a different channel.

Comments

• Can't do it yet, I wish you could...

• Why not duplicate the channel then remove the FX from the first one?

• @NimboStratus said:
    Why not duplicate the channel then remove the FX from the first one?

That's a better workaround than the one that I'm currently using, thanks!

• Duplicate track
    • Replace the instrument on the duplicated track with a bus input
    • Remove FX from the first track
    • Send output of the first track to the bus

Now you can send the output of yet another track to the same bus to apply the same FX. The technical term is group-track or sub-bus.

Another common thing is to move the FX to a send FX bus. Setup is done like describes above, but instead of sending the track‘s output to the new bus, one adds a bus-send to the FX slot and keeps the output routed to the loud-speakers. Since in that way parts of the audio directly reach the loudspeaker, one needs to change the FX to use 100% wet settings to achive the same audio-result as before changing to bus-send type.

• And i forgot to mention, that AUM allows to store such FX chains as templates to be used in other sessions:

• Save your session
    • Remove all tracks except the one containing the bus with FX chain.
    • It‘s best if you rename the track in a descriptive way: ie Vocal FX or Cool Distortions etc
    • Save that session to a new session (ie Vocal FX Chain), maybe gather them in a specific folder.

If you later load another session, you can add this FX chain using the ‚Import Channels‘ feature of AUM. The + no only offers add audio or midi, but also import :)

I have an extra ‚FX Chain Templates‘ session, in which i regularly add/import all new created single track chains. When importing from the main templace session, i can add several of the chains at once and then try out which fits the best and remove the other candidates.

• @_ki these are good reminders, of what can be done to make life a bit easier... thanks

• edited May 2021

Saving effects that are mapped to midi controller. Would be best if you could just import the channel, then move affect to the channel it need be on? Otherwise you would have to remap anyway even if you created a bus with saved parameters. Should you just need to add an effect to an effect chain. Unless you created another bus for any additional effects added? but I guess you couldnt just add the effect live as you would need to create a new master recieve bus and then create new sends for every sends?