Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How do you use Launchpad Pro Mk3?

I’m looking at getting the Launchpad Pro, primarily as a clip launcher, but also to use its functions for building tracks in Atom 2, LK and other apps in AUM. Really, just to get a smoother, quicker and more intuitive work flow.

I’m interested in hearing how people are using it with e.g. Atom 2 in AUM (but also other combinations), and especially how you’ve set up Custom modes on the Launchpad, either for song creation or live performance.

I have the old Circuit that I use for playing synths and controlling volume faders, effects, etc on its 8 knobs (that the Launchpad lacks, but then it has some sort of volume control on the pads, but I’m not sure I’m liking that idea).

Comments

• edited May 2021

Custom modes look awesome but I have zero clue about CC messages and what they actually do. Yes, they control the changes of midi. That's nice. They can make notes wobble and stuff like that. They can change how velocity is, can they? Is that CC? See? We've already got outside my wheelhouse, which is a small cardboard box on my living room floor with a paper ship's wheel glued to the front.

I see custom modes as waaay down the road for me. It's one more of those things that anyone who has learned it just uses it. It's like the air of midi. People just forget how they learned to breathe and here I am in my spacesuit, happy but wondering if there's something I'm missing.

I would LOVE a series on MIDI. Go on Youtube and find a series dedicated to how midi works. Not the one by that professor who starts with the moon and rockets off to outer space, just a bog standard midi tutorial. Not, how to use midi with X or a 5 minute tutorial but a decent breakdown series. It astounds and aaaarghs me because, really, midi is everything.

• The launchpad is better but Im not sure about powering/plus midi. So might buy a subzero 64. Its big but just need key zones I think. Without it being a keyboard. Dont think I need the best clip launcher.

• well, I'm eyeing on the Launchpad Pro mk3 as well ;-) but my guess is when you've got that, you don't need Atom or LK, because of its 4 track sequencer and scene launching capabilities. All you need is a knob box nearby like a midi fighter twister or a launch control xl. btw why isn't there an mk3 edition of the launch control? I'm just curious

• I've just created a few custom layouts, one for BM3 (Transport, Pads, Switch between Pads & Keys, Bank-Shift etc) and a few with generic CC-Sliders that I can map in the host.

I'll also make one for Koala at some point since it's on-screen pad layout is upside down, same thing with EG Pulse.
    (ie. pad 1 is top left instead of bottom left making the 16 pads 'up-side down' compared to the screen).

I love the chord mode on the LPPro3 and honestly I prefer playing on the pads instead of a regular keyboard.

The sequencer in the LPPro3 takes some time to get used to and I really wish it had a built-in metronome.

It does have some nice features for ratcheting and probability but I guess we'll soon see more of the features in things like Drambo which is the sequencer I feel is closest to the one in LPPro 3.

I can't stress enough that I've actually started to play & record instruments a lot more after I got the LPPro 3.
    More Playing, Less 'Programming' :)

Atom 2's LPPro3 integration is top-notch and LK is not far behind.

Over all I'm happy with mine!

Cheers!

• @sigma79 said:
    The launchpad is better but Im not sure about powering/plus midi

?
    All launchpad need a powered cck/powered hub to connect to an iPad, except for the super old ones. All those RGB leds have quite a current draw.

• edited May 2021

I think I can say I use all of it. The combination of my Launchkey, the Launchpad and the iPad is really great. You can also mix and match the sequencer with AUM, Atom 2 etc. For me it’s the best available hardware for the iPad currently. Here are some videos I made about that topic if you are interested:

There are some more incoming, but making those is a lot more time consuming then I expected :D

• Great videos @FloRi89

Does it work in Cubasis with atom? Does anyone have a video of that setup? Thanks

Also, is it worth the extra $ going Pro?

• @ipadbeatmaking said:
    Great videos @FloRi89

Does it work in Cubasis with atom? Does anyone have a video of that setup? Thanks

I’ll try that tonight and tell you. You mean if you have Atom 2 as AU in Cubasis 3?

• @FloRi89 said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:
    Great videos @FloRi89

I’ll try that tonight and tell you. You mean if you have Atom 2 as AU in Cubasis 3?

Yes exactly

• @Samu said:

I can't stress enough that I've actually started to play & record instruments a lot more after I got the LPPro 3.
    More Playing, Less 'Programming' :)

Atom 2's LPPro3 integration is top-notch and LK is not far behind.

Over all I'm happy with mine!

Cheers!

Good to hear, I have one incoming and am curious to see if it inspires any different ideas.

• edited May 2021

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@sigma79 said:

?
    All launchpad need a powered cck/powered hub to connect to an iPad, except for the super old ones. All those RGB leds have quite a current draw.

Thanks. Id gain a spare plug socket if I end up buying a focusrite scarlett. It were going to be x 2 zoom u44. So I gain a plug socket now. So a powered hub or the sub zero can have power. Think Id buy the launchpad mini if I can be sure I can use a powered usb hub, whilst still using the official cck3. Just dont want it to mess up standard midi. A faderfox ec4 passes through a faderfox pc12. The sub zero would have also routed through the pc12. Is it easy to just add a hub ? Does the launchpad mini transpose from the launchapd also? I guess Id also have some recorded loops to launch via whatever pad controller bought. Just maybe not 100 percent audio or midi clips, unless thats how it pans out. You create in aum and if you were going to arrange in a daw anyway. Why not then cliplaunch everything. Not sure about that so maybe just launch a few loops within a live aum session.

• edited May 2021

@sigma79 said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@sigma79 said:

?

Thanks. Id gain a spare plug socket if I end up buying a focusrite scarlett. It were going to be x 2 zoom u44. So I gain a plug socket now. So a powered hub or the sub zero can have power. Think Id buy the launchpad mini if I can be sure I can use a powered usb hub, whilst still using the official cck3. Just dont want it to mess up standard midi. A faderfox ec4 passes through a faderfox pc12. The sub zero would have also routed through the pc12. Is it easy to just add a hub ? Does the launchpad mini transpose from the launchapd also? I guess Id also have some recorded loops to launch via whatever pad controller bought. Just maybe not 100 percent audio or midi clips, unless thats how it pans out. You create in aum and if you were going to arrange in a daw anyway. Why not then cliplaunch everything. Not sure about that so maybe just launch a few loops within a live aum session. Think just key zones are most important. x 2 keyzones on 64 pads with a midi channel for each zone. The same as creating a split zone on a keyboard but zones be a different midi channel.

Obviously would buy the better controller actually for clip launching and more than just a note transposer. Its just a setup around euclidean sequencing anyway. Even though it would also be handy to launch euclidean clips or patterns in Drambo. So I guess a controller best for easiest to power. Maybe transpose from the unit and then the extra functions, which people generally buy it for anyway, including clip/pattern launching.

• Thanks for all the responses. It’s great to hear how people use midi controllers like LPP together with all the many inspiring apps on the iPad (that seem to be evolving at lightning speed). I’ve only just begun dipping my toes into this modular music creation and it’s both confusing and great.

But, I’m slowly getting to understand and master it, not least because of the great patience, knowledge and helpfulness from everyone on the forum.

Best of all is that I spend more time playing and listening, and less time looking at a timeline and wav files. I’m not sure I desperately need LPP right now, but I can see how it might help spark even more creativity.

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

@sigma79 said:

?

I just got a Launchpad Pro MK3 and have yet to learn how to use it but one thing is for sure. You can just connect it via the USB-C cable to an iPad Pro (3rd Gen), no USB-hub needed.

• @yokotate said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@sigma79 said:

?

I just got a Launchpad Pro MK3 and have yet to learn how to use it but one thing is for sure. You can just connect it via the USB-C cable to an iPad Pro (3rd Gen), no USB-hub needed.

USBc provides more power than lightning ipads. Still recommend the powered CCK for current draw

• maybe someone in here have some insights... I don't find the possibility to change the Tempo inside the LPP when NOT using Ableton.
    I have this hooked up to my Digitone, Peak and Hydra and use the internal sequencer to quickly sequence things. but I don't have the option to actually change the tempo INSIDE Launchpad without any external clock (mostly a desktop DAW I think). So its 120 BPM or something but I cannot change it.

Anyone with the solution? Thanks in advanced

• @david_2017 said:
    maybe someone in here have some insights... I don't find the possibility to change the Tempo inside the LPP when NOT using Ableton.
    I have this hooked up to my Digitone, Peak and Hydra and use the internal sequencer to quickly sequence things. but I don't have the option to actually change the tempo INSIDE Launchpad without any external clock (mostly a desktop DAW I think). So its 120 BPM or something but I cannot change it.

Have you checked the manual? Try Shift+Device.

• You wouldn’t think, right?
    But it seems this works only when connected to ableton. On my device nothing happened when I use this combination

@uncledave said:

@david_2017 said:
    maybe someone in here have some insights... I don't find the possibility to change the Tempo inside the LPP when NOT using Ableton.

• edited September 2022

@david_2017 said:
    You wouldn’t think, right?
    But it seems this works only when connected to ableton. On my device nothing happened when I use this combination

@uncledave said:

@david_2017 said:

Doesn't the Launchpad Pro have different modes? Do you need to change modes to make it work stand-alone?

Edit: Is the LPP connected to another device that is providing a MIDI clock? And is Receive Clock enabled in LPP settings?

• Right now the LPP is connected to the Digitone with a midi cable but only as note giver (meaning midi out from LP to Digitone IN).

But your second idea could do the trick. Need to investigate if there is such a setting and maybe my LPP is set to receive clock.
    Otherwise I could use Digitone out to LPP to work with Digitone clock 🤔

Thanks for your help, mate!

• hmmm nope, did not work either

• @david_2017 said:
    hmmm nope, did not work either

clock on+receive doesn’t work?

Try contacting Novation support.

• @espiegel123 nope the combination of SHIFT + Device is still inactive. nothing happing.

• @david_2017 said:

Shift+tempo?

• @symianbeatz said:

@david_2017 said:

Shift+tempo In sequencer mode.. works fine for me..

• @david_2017 said:
    @espiegel123 nope the combination of SHIFT + Device is still inactive. nothing happing.

Is it not responding to the incoming clock at all? have you confirmed that the clock is being sent?

• @uncledave @symianbeatz @espiegel123

first of all. I love you guys. again this proves how supportive and caring the helping the community is.

ok, now its getting embarrassing for me: it turns out. all is working. my stupid stupid stupid mistake was, I was assuming the very bottom left key (called SETUP) is the Shift key. When I finally found the Shift key, all things made sense and fell into pleasant places ;)

thanks for helping me!