Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Wotja 21 mega-update

Comments

• @motmeister said:

@Masanga said:

@motmeister said:
    I looked into scripting today. At least in this forum, what with the various scripting plug-ins, more attention is paid to scripts here and how they extend the power of iOS music apps. Wotja Scripting is in a JavaScript format. The scripting manual seems very complete, and I'm finding that once you have a better grasp of what Wotja does, scripting adds so much more. As far as I can tell, you can change just about any parameter for an object (Rhythmic, for example) in midstream. Timing for making changes can be controlled by keeping track of which bar you're in. The onImeBar event fires at the start of each bar. If you keep a counter, when the counter reaches a certain value (bar#), you can send changes to parameters for the Mix/Cell/etc. The possibilities are astounding (at least to me!). This is great stuff.

Yes, scripting is utterly fantastic; it's a relatively new feature (only a couple of years old), but it's phenomenally powerful and really not that difficult to use even if you're new to JS; there are tons of examples provided that you can adapt and learn from. The iOS script editor isn't as elegant as the desktop version, but it's perfectly usable (and does syntax colouring). It's an absolute godsend for key changes.

Yes, the iOS script editor needs an overhaul. Copy and paste desperately needs to be added, for one. I’ve worked with scripting for a few hours today, and as soon as I figured out which events happen where (Mix, Cell, Generator, etc), a lot fell into place.

Copy and paste does work from an external keyboard, if that's any help. (And of course you can use the Export to/Import from Clipboard commands to transfer the whole script to/from an external editor and work on it there.)

• @impete said:
    Hi folks,

We have another big update just going live today - Wotja 21.7.2

Wow! You must get up very early in the morning.

• @Masanga said:

@motmeister said:

@Masanga said:

@motmeister said:

Yes, the iOS script editor needs an overhaul. Copy and paste desperately needs to be added, for one. I’ve worked with scripting for a few hours today, and as soon as I figured out which events happen where (Mix, Cell, Generator, etc), a lot fell into place.

I'm probably missing something - bear with me! :smile:

On the iOS (and Android) versions, if you tap the central text area (which is syntax-colour highlighted) a text editor window appears, where you have the standard iOS copy/paste etc. operations. Once you OK/Cancel here, this returns you to the previous screen showing the colour highlighting.

Pete

• @cooksferryqueen said:

@impete said:
    Hi folks,

Late to bed, early to rise. Makes a developer knackered :smile:

Pete

• @impete said:

@Masanga said:

@motmeister said:

@Masanga said:

@motmeister said:

I'm probably missing something - bear with me! :smile:

On the iOS (and Android) versions, if you tap the central text area (which is syntax-colour highlighted) a text editor window appears, where you have the standard iOS copy/paste etc. operations. Once you OK/Cancel here, this returns you to the previous screen showing the colour highlighting.

Pete

I think I'm the one missing something! I can select text in the syntax-coloured pane and edit it there, but I don't get the iOS copy/paste popups, though the shortcuts work when I connect an external keyboard. Are you saying there's another window?

• @Masanga said:
    I think I'm the one missing something!

I'll double-check later today! :smile:

Pete

• @impete said:

@Masanga said:

@motmeister said:

Sorry, I was getting confused with Android, which automatically shows a separate text editor window when you click on the Central area.

To get a "standard iOS" text editor with copy/paste etc, just select Action menu -> Edit...

Then, you can use normal iOS operations to copy/paste etc.

Hoping that helps!

Pete

• @impete said:
    To get a "standard iOS" text editor with copy/paste etc, just select Action menu -> Edit...

Hmm, yes, I've been missing something really quite big there… Mind you, so has the documentation, which only speaks of the main pane as the script editor – which in fact it can be, so long as you don't need the iOS copy/paste functions, and it has the additional advantage of syntax highlighting. That's how it works on desktop, of course, and presumably how it would work on iOS & Android if their APIs would allow it. But big thanks for providing that additional Edit option & view; I do like the fact that you can work either in desktop mode with an external keyboard or in iOS mode with the iOS editing tools…

• I've asked Tim to fix the docs - sometimes, there are just too many features :smile:

• Yes, I don't envy Tim trying to keep up with the tsunami of new features! (He does a pretty impressive job of it, though…)

• I'll sure be trying the Edit option! That looks handy!

• @motmeister said:
    I'll sure be trying the Edit option! That looks handy!

Cool! :smile:

Pete

• OK, that Action item only appears in iOS, but it's there and it seems to work. Thanks!

• @motmeister said:
    OK, that Action item only appears in iOS, but it's there and it seems to work. Thanks!

:+1:

• @cooksferryqueen said:

@impete said:
    Hi folks,

The App Store for iOS doesn't have 21.7.2 yet. The Mac version is out though.

• @motmeister said:

@cooksferryqueen said:

@impete said:
    Hi folks,

Ah. If you use the Mac version to insert the skips, will they be honored in the iOS version? I'll just watch for the iOS update.

• edited May 2021

OK, that Action item only appears in iOS, but it's there and it seems to work. Thanks!

Yes, you don't need it on desktop because regular copy & paste are available in the main editor. The action menu Edit item is a workaround for an iOS-specific limitation. Syntax colours are also a bit nicer on desktop – they always seem a bit faint to me on iOS. But no complaints.

• @Masanga said:
    Syntax colours are also a bit nicer on desktop – they always seem a bit faint to me on iOS. But no complaints.

That's interesting - they're actually the same colour. So I guess that is down to physical display differences (brightness, contrast)...

• @motmeister said:

Should all be there now! Sometimes it can take a little while for the updates to percolate down through the various store systems. The iOS Pro one was the last one to arrive this time, I think!

Best wishes, Pete

• @impete said:
    That's interesting - they're actually the same colour. So I guess that is down to physical display differences (brightness, contrast)...

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2019/06/16/most-amazing-optical-illusion/

• @UMCorps said:

In a word - wow

• @impete said:

@Masanga said:
    Syntax colours are also a bit nicer on desktop – they always seem a bit faint to me on iOS. But no complaints.

Also font size and screen resolution, I think; I've noticed this with other very cross-platform apps like Cloud Outliner, which uses only colours that can be shared between dark and light modes on iOS and desktop. (So there's no black or white, just a middle shade of grey that contrasts with either background sufficiently to be legible but not quite enough to be pleasant to work in. That one is better on iOS because the font size is smaller, which seems to improve contrast detection.)

• Font sizing is probably the biggest challenge I've had in terms of UI layout for "any device size". Taken a lot of work - and never quite right :smile:

Pete

• edited May 2021

@lukesleepwalker said:

@UMCorps said:
    You can’t send in a chord progression. But you can send in a monophonic midi line to steer a following type generator.

You need to set up a Listening generator to do that. It can get a bit fiddly but it’s quite interesting.

https://intermorphic.com/wotja/21/guide/#ime-generator-listener

OK, I will start there. Thank you!

Did you ever get it working? I set up a Listener/Follower in AUM and pointed Aum's keyboard to it. I followed the instructions in the link you posted, and I get nothing. It would be helpful to have very granular step by step instructions for getting Listener/Follower to make sounds, because the doc is really hard to figure out. My notions about how it works are probably incorrect. I just went back once more and read the doc and did everything it said was necessary, and still no sound. FWIW, play was pressed and it's running.

Edit...
    Hmmm... In the Mac version, there are Wotja Settings for MIDI input, and it works. In the iOS version, there are no MIDI input Settings. I have a real keyboard connected to the Mac. When I connect the real keyboard to iOS, the keyboard shows up in AUM, but still no MIDI input settings in the Wotja Settings panel. I set it up in the iOS standalone version, and the MIDI input dialog is there, and when I play the keyboard I get notes. In other words, the standalone iOS functions exactly the same as on the Mac. There are really only two conclusions: 1) It's not intended to work in the AUV3 version, or 2) there's a bug.

• Here's another anomaly. Running the AUV3 version inside of AUM, Wotja doesn't check the AUM tempo until you specifically SET it in AUM. Here's an example:

1. I set up Wotja as an AUV3 with the default tempo of 60.
    2. AUM was defaulted to its last setting, which was 120.
    3. When I played, it ran at 60 (the Wotja setting).
    4. I edited the tempo in AUM and specifically set it there to 120.
    5. Without any changes to Wotja tempo, I pressed Play again and it ran at 120.

I'm thinking Wotja ought to always check the AUM tempo before it starts playing.

• edited May 2021

In the manual, here's one of the pattern examples:

Two sequenced sub-patterns. Play 1 or 2 twice, then 1 or 2 twice...

<100 B 60 1 60 2 60 3 60 4>
      <100 B 30 9 30 8 30 7 30 6 30 5 30 4 30 3 30 2>

According to the syntax, this is actually saying "Play 1 or 1 twice, then 1 or 1 twice. I think the example should read:

Two sequenced sub-patterns. Play 1 or 2 twice, then 1 or 2 twice...

<100 B 60 1 60 2 60 3 60 4>
      <100 B 30 9 30 8 30 7 30 6 30 5 30 4 30 3 30 2>

I haven't verified all of the examples, but in general I think it means that someone needs to review the examples for accuracy.

Edit:
    I may be wrong. the description for seqnumrange isn't clear. I read it to mean the last pattern number in the range, but it MAY mean the first seqnum PLUS the second number.

• @motmeister said:
    I may be wrong. the description for seqnumrange isn't clear. I read it to mean the last pattern number in the range, but it MAY mean the first seqnum PLUS the second number.

Yes, that's exactly it – see further up the page where it explains the Sequence Pattern Syntax. Less intuitive but slightly more logical than using absolute numbers…

• edited May 2021

@motmeister said:
    There are really only two conclusions: 1) It's not intended to work in the AUV3 version, or 2) there's a bug.

Yes, the AUv3 version doesn't accept MIDI in; see here in the documentation, though some of these limitations have since been overcome (AUv3 does now work in subscription mode).

• @Masanga said:

@motmeister said:
    There are really only two conclusions: 1) It's not intended to work in the AUV3 version, or 2) there's a bug.

Yes, the AUv3 version doesn't accept MIDI in; see here in the documentation, though some of these limitations have since been overcome (AUv3 does work without timeout in Lite mode now).

Sad... Of all the places where you're likely to feed MIDI to Wotja, one of the MIDI players, like Atom2 would be a great way to do it. If you look at other AUV3s, they honor MIDI in from the AUM MIDI routing. In order to really take advantage of what is a potentially an interesting addition, having to do it LIVE from a MIDI keyboard (and then only in the standalone Wotja) gives very little room for WHEN you can feed the MIDI. I suppose you could do it differently by setting up Patterns and triggering them from a Script at a certain bar, but then if you have a specific MIDI riff you want to send, you have to convert it to a pattern first. Once you have a pattern you can use it in the AuV3 version. I'm even looking into one of the MIDI APIs to see if I can create an app to translate MIDI to patterns, but that's a daunting task. I'm not that accomplished of a Swift developer first (even worse if the only way to do it is with Obj-C).

I know this IS one of the places where I'm batting my head against what I WANT it to do and what it will ALLOW me to do, but consider this a feature request. I'll review the processes for sending it via the correct Intermorphic route and do it that way.