Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Wotja 21 mega-update

Comments

• edited May 2021

@Masanga said:

@craftycurate said:

@Masanga said:

@impete said:

@craftycurate said:

Question ... are all the older templates now retired? I only see the new ones.

They are for now - there were a lot of them, and we didn't want them to get in the way of the new ones.

If there are any you'd like "returned to the fold" so to speak, please send-in a request via our support page - we can then assess what demand there might be for them.

One option would be to make them available in the Add-On Content page.

It would be good to have access to them in some way as I used them quite frequently as starting points - the more options the better! I especially liked the fairly recent "Go" one - can't remember its name now as it's gone, but I think it was one of the first ones listed.

Is it possible to transfer\copy templates from Wotja 20 Pro to Wotja 21 Pro?

It's in the .zip I attached above; you can just copy it into your own Wotja folder and it'll be available for all time.

Nice one thanks!

• Looking forward to the smooth cell transitions! I like to use those for key changes or bridges and the pauses were a bit annoying (though editable with MIDI).

• edited May 2021

@UMCorps said:
    A little share of my afternoon soundtrack.

I couldn't get away with patches like this on previous versions but R2XL changes pretty much everything.

If you have a poke around in the fx settings you'll find a wide panned dual shimmer setup on the "choir". The lead style voice shows how the modulation options on some of the R2LX settings provide a very smooth, high quality chorus effect within the reverb.

Samples? Where we're going we don't need no samples......

(file zipped cos I don't trust the forum to deal with Wotja MIME type)

🎹🔉👂️👏👏👏👏
    Fixed the Text for you.

• @Masanga said:
    Fixed the Text for you.

Hmm, no I didn't. Text change seems broken in this version; doesn't seem to change at all unless you roll the dice manually.

• Also there's an odd upwards drift in the Vortex visualiser.

• Well I thought I heard Stephen Hawkins saying nice things about me when I played it

• That was the word of God coming through from the other side.

• Ah, I had Use Saved Section Text checked, which is an open invitation to counter-intuitiveness. This version works (for certain values of "works").

• Well, after that gentle ego massage I think I'll turn in for the day

• Did Wotja ever get around to implementing a tuning feature? Last time I asked (2017), it was a huge workaround to get anything other than 12et.

• edited May 2021

If I create a mix on the Mac and save it in the cloud, I should be able to open and play it on the AUV3 inside AUM on the iPad, right? It plays one on the Mac, but when I press play in the AUM transport, it just continues to play a single note.

The first time it didn't work. The second time did. Weird.

• @impete said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:
    Great update.
    I still can’t save a preset in Aum.
    No state save at all /:

The Lite version (in Lite mode) doesn't save state in the AUv3 host. But, otherwise it should all work fine.

If you can give any more information, that'd be useful!

Best wishes,

Pete

I got the full version.
    The save preset inside Aum is not functional unfortunately.
    As well as when a project saved. It doesn’t recall the preset of Wotja.

• Completeness

• @Masanga said:

One option would be to make them available in the Add-On Content page.

Good thinking! We'll do that! Pete

• @motmeister said:
    If I create a mix on the Mac and save it in the cloud, I should be able to open and play it on the AUV3 inside AUM on the iPad, right? It plays one on the Mac, but when I press play in the AUM transport, it just continues to play a single note.

Yes. Do you mean, it just plays notes but all at the same pitch, or with the wrong patch, or something else?

If they were always the same pitch, that sounds like you'd maybe turned on Tuning Mode in the Settings screen. That auto-disables itself the next time you start-up Wotja.

OK, that is odd - unless it was Tuning mode, as noted above.

Hoping that helps,

Pete

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    Did Wotja ever get around to implementing a tuning feature? Last time I asked (2017), it was a huge workaround to get anything other than 12et.

Do you mean alternative tunings? No, that isn't something we've ever had the time to dig into. I know there are some people who are super-keen on this, of course.

Pete

• @god said:
    Completeness

I hope that means you like the update :smile:

Best wishes,

Pete

• @impete said:

@motmeister said:

Yes. Do you mean, it just plays notes but all at the same pitch, or with the wrong patch, or something else?

If they were always the same pitch, that sounds like you'd maybe turned on Tuning Mode in the Settings screen. That auto-disables itself the next time you start-up Wotja.

OK, that is odd - unless it was Tuning mode, as noted above.

Hoping that helps,

Pete

I’m still having some problems. This is as close as I can come to a step by step:

1. Open AUM and load Wotja AU into an audio lane.
    2. Create a mix on the Mac and save it to iCloud.
    3. Close the Mac app.
    4. Click on the files icon in the Wotja loaded in AUM.
    5. It seems to open and looks OK, but it won’t play properly. It seems to be stuck on the first note.
    6. I tried deleting Wotja from the AUM lane, reloading it, then reloading the mix. Still the same results.
    7. The only way I got it to work was to close AUM and starting over. Then it works correctly.

I haven’t gone back to see if I can duplicate the failure. I’ll update this if I do.

Thanks for your close attention. 2021 is the best version yet. I love it!

• How long does it takes to learn Wotja? I hopend the interface and said no way.

• @ecou said:
    How long does it takes to learn Wotja? I hopend the interface and said no way.

I honestly think it’s something you never stop learning. I’ve had at this twice before and couldn’t get it to produce anything but droney stuff. But this time something clicked. For some reason the terminology makes more sense this time. I debated for about a week before getting the most recent version, but I bought it yesterday. I must say I’m feeling good about my purchase.

What do you think you want to get out of it?

• edited May 2021

@ecou said:

It depends what you mean by learn, obviously, but here's a sixty-second guide to the essentials from a previous thread. (Point three needs a bit of updating now, as the old one-cell-per-track Flow schemes have been retired in favour of four-cell-per-track ones, but the basics still hold.) It's a deep app, but the Flow tab provides an easy route in and immediate results, and the Mix view is pretty straightforward once you've got our head round the way Cells work (also known as Templates). The sound engine, which is what this update is mainly about, is a straightforward modular hybrid synth network; the composition engine, which resides in the objects called Generators, looks complicated at first but is really just a graphical front end to an array of probabilistic parameters that determine what kinds of MIDI notes are generated to feed to the sound engine. Best route in is to start with the free version and dive straight into the Flow tab, and when you hear something you like, save it to a Mix and take a look inside at how it's made.

• wait, are there different presets for the different FX modules?

• @motmeister said:

@ecou said:

I honestly think it’s something you never stop learning. I’ve had at this twice before and couldn’t get it to produce anything but droney stuff. But this time something clicked. For some reason the terminology makes more sense this time. I debated for about a week before getting the most recent version, but I bought it yesterday. I must say I’m feeling good about my purchase.

What do you think you want to get out of it?

I would like to make some relaxing ambient music.

• edited May 2021

@Masanga said:

@ecou said:

It depends what you mean by learn, obviously, but here's a sixty-second guide to the essentials from a previous thread. (Point three needs a bit of updating now, as the old one-cell-per-track Flow schemes have been retired in favour of four-cell-per-track ones, but the basics still hold.) It's a deep app, but the Flow tab provides an easy route in and immediate results, and the Mix view is pretty straightforward once you've got our head round the way Cells work (also known as Templates). The sound engine, which is what this update is mainly about, is a straightforward modular hybrid synth network; the composition engine, which resides in the objects called Generators, looks complicated at first but is really just a graphical front end to an array of probabilistic parameters that determine what kinds of MIDI notes are generated to feed to the sound engine. Best route in is to start with the free version and dive straight into the Flow tab, and when you hear something you like, save it to a Mix and take a look inside at how it's made.

Thank you for the guide. What I mean by learning is getting to a point we're I can create something I want to hear.

When learning something becomes like home work I'm out.

• @shinyisshiny said:
    wait, are there different presets for the different FX modules?

The two reverbs and the chorus unit have a small number of built in presets accessible from a drop down menu in the unit itself.

There is also a much larger selection of pre-defined FX networks accessed from the “preset” menu link on top left of the FX network viewer.

• edited May 2021

@ecou said:

@Masanga said:

@ecou said:

Thank you for the guide. What I mean by learning is getting to a point we're I can create something I want to hear.

When learning something becomes like home work I'm out.

Wotja is fantastic for this. Anyone can create an unlimited stream of complex, satisfying, endlessly evolving pieces in just two taps (on the Flow tab and then on one of the built-in Flow icons, such as Only Drones). You can then use the fast-forward icon to ditch the current composition and create another, and the share icon to save the one currently playing.

Intermorphic have a useful visual guide to the Flow view, as to everything else; you can click on all the numbers there for more details, but most of it is obvious anyway. It gets a bit deeper if you want to edit saved creations (Mixes) or create your own Flows in addition to those provided, but you may find that the built-in Flows give you most or all of what you need for now.

• edited May 2021

I'm having trouble with a two track setup of cells. All of the empty cells are set with a repeat of 1, and I don't want them to play at all. When track 2 plays, I get 4 measures played once, then 6 measures played once, then each of the two empty cells in the track/row play for a measure. That throws timing off. How can I have those two empty cells in track 2 just be skipped?

OK, I suppose I could duplicate cells 1 and 2 in cells 3 and 4, but that wouldn't cover an odd number of cells.

• @motmeister said:
    I'm having trouble with a two track setup of cells. All of the empty cells are set with a repeat of 1, and I don't want them to play at all. When track 2 plays, I get 4 measures played once, then 6 measures played once, then each of the two empty cells in the track/row play for a measure. That throws timing off. How can I have those two empty cells in track 2 just be skipped?

OK, I suppose I could duplicate cells 1 and 2 in cells 3 and 4, but that wouldn't cover an odd number of cells.

Yes, there's a bug with empty cells in this version that causes them to play for exactly one bar regardless of how many bars they're set to. Intermorphic are aware and on the case; it was only spotted when the build was code-complete. For the moment, as you say, the only workaround is to double up if you need your bar lengths and repeats to be precise.

• @Masanga said:

@motmeister said:

Yes, there's a bug with empty cells in this version that causes them to play for exactly one bar regardless of how many bars they're set to. Intermorphic are aware and on the case; it was only spotted when the build was code-complete. For the moment, as you say, the only workaround is to double up if you need your bar lengths and repeats to be precise.

omg, thx. There are times when I bang my head up against what I think might be a problem and it's just me trying to make an app do something it's not intended to. I look forward to the fix. This kind of arranging is a great way to get a change of mood in the middle of a generated mix.