Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Wotja 21 mega-update

@impete recommended a new thread for this:

MAJOR UPDATE
NEW for ISE: Reverb 2XL FX unit (R2XL) - this awesome FX unit can also be combined with the new Pitch Shifter FX unit (below) for a Shimmer reverb effect; CPU intensive (not available in Synth Network)
NEW for ISE: Pitch Shifter FX unit - used to shift the pitch of audio signal by +/- 12 semitones; CPU intensive (not available in Synth Network)
NEW for ISE: Feedback option for Junction inputs (be careful with this!); used in the Shimmer FX presets
NEW Content: "Ambience" FX Presets a whole bunch of fabulous new FX presets, some of which use the new R2XL and Pitch Shifter units
NEW Content: Flows - improved Randomization Schemes that also now use the new FX; they now come in 2 variants, the "(CPU-)" variant being more suited to devices with slower CPUs
NEW for System: Mix EX Override setting - with 5 presets (default Off) this setting allows a user to override the Mix FX that is applied in a Randomization Scheme (i.e. when playing Flows or creating auto-mixes/boxes); the setting is located in the "Flow / Randomization Scheme Behaviour" group at the top of Settings - Audio MIDI+
IMPROVED: Lite Feature Set (FS) is now even more powerful - All App timeouts increased to 30 mins, multi-track editing is now supported and recordings of 30 mins can be created; those major improvements are counterbalanced as follows in Lite FS: mix saving/exporting and box/playlist creation are now disabled; only the latest mix, box or album can be opened; script editing disabled; only the included RS can be opened in Flow Mode
IMPROVED: AUv3 is now unlocked by a Pro In-app Subscription (Lite FS note: session saving is disabled and there iS a 2 minute timeout)
IMPROVED: When importing a Mix, Box (or Playlist) from Clipboard (i.e. a WJURL) the original file name is preserved making content sharing easier
IMPROVED: Purge cached SF2/DLS files that are no longer referenced, and haven't been looked at for 10 seconds or more; this is done only when the SF2/DLS cache is referenced; it is not an automatic background process
IMPROVED: Show an alert if a document is a opened that refers to one or more SF2/DLS files that no longer exist; the alert lists the name(s) of the missing item(s).
IMPROVED: Added "Pro 21" button/link to top of in-app store that goes to the App Store page for the "Paid for Version": this makes it easier to find the paid-for version if you don't like subscriptions
IMPROVED: ISE Synth & FX Editor shows left hand item to represent "input"
IMPROVED: ISE Synth & FX Editor uses arrow heads to illustrate direction of signal (rate) flow through the FX network; feedback lines are coloured orange; many other layout improvements
IMPROVED: Reverb 1 max slider time increased to 20 seconds
IMPROVED: Display "0-Network Input" rather than just "0" in ISE Synth & FX Editor controllers panel
IMPROVED: Changed the Settings screen to add an "Info" button that shows a new "About" screen; the version is now displayed in the title e.g. "Settings (21.7.0)"
IMPROVED: Algorithm for sizing cell columns, especially in portrait mode and single column mode
IMPROVED: Recording progress bar display in Lite FS makes it clear that Lite FS recordings are for personal use only
FIXED: Allow renaming of Mix-level rule (except if it is named "Default")
FIXED: Problem drawing highlight on Junction / Controller units
FIXED: FX networks could in some circumstances be re-applied when OK is pressed
FIXED: IME Network view display issues where sometimes MIDI, Synth / Effects buttons were displayed when then should have been hidden
FIXED: If you changed Generator Type via pop-up selector the cell could become unresponsive
OTHER: Many other changes, improvements and fixes - see intermorphic.com/wotja/21/releases

«134567

Comments

  • Starting it up to see what’s new

  • edited May 8

    Here's why this is a big deal, aside from the massive expansion of the play time in the free mode and getting AUv3 functionality working fully in the subscription mode.

    At the heart of this update are three new FX features: an absolutely massive high-end reverb module with BigSky Cloud energy; a pitch shifter; and the ability to feed outputs back into inputs, the combination of which is what enables the easy creation of shimmer reverb patches as a by-product. The new reverb is a knob-twiddler's delight, but more importantly it enables ambient sound design that completely transforms Wotja's signature textures. (Check out the haze presets in the first instance to get a sense of what it can do.) But more than that, it makes possible smoother transitions between cells in a track, so that the awkward two-second gap is no longer an issue and the classic 4x12 Mixtikl grid truly comes into its own as a serious compositional resource.

    In previous versions of Wotja, the default structure was one or more single-cell tracks, and all the built-in randomisation schemes were organised that way. You could always have up to four cells in a track, but they didn't blend terribly well into one another. In the new normal, the full four-cell-per-track option is the default, so that as long as the numbers of bars are unequal in length you get a constantly recombinant and evolving composition of different cells against one another. All the built-in Flow schemes have been redesigned around this model – so if you're particularly attached to any of the old ones, save copies before you install the update – which produces incredibly rich, varied, but cohesive long-form soundtracks that can absorb you for hours. The free version will switch to a new composition automatically after ten minutes or so, but you still get half an hour of big ambient radio before you have to wake up and hit play again – so preset prodders are brilliantly served as well.

    To get an initial feel for the new features, start with one of the new Flow schemes, and when you hear something you like save it to a Mix. Then in the Mix tab hit Refresh if needed, open the new Mix to see how it's made, and start it playing. Watch how the cells gradually get out of step with one another, creating new recombinant interactions. Poke around in the Mix FX, which is where the built-in Flows are tending to put the showcase reverb effects. Assuming it's not one of the "CPU-" Flows (which use the old reverb), you'll usually find a Reverb 2XL unit in there that you can experiment with the huge pane of options on. I'm going to try to take a screenshot of the parameter controls if I can hook up my iPad as an external monitor to my desktop to get the whole enormous window in…

  • i love wotja, but even after a couple years of using, have no idea what im doing... i know the documentation is massive, but i wish there were more video tutorials

  • Check out this bad boy:

  • Video talkthrough of every parameter of R2XL (plus a quick intro to reverbs in general) will drop later today once I’ve finished recording it.

  • Great update.
    I still can’t save a preset in Aum.
    No state save at all /:

  • I use Wotja regularly but don't understand what any of these updates would mean for me. A new shimmer reverb apparently but what does "not available in synth network" mean?

    Every second term they use is a reference to something else, none of which I can understand even after months of using it

  • The synth network is the place where you put together tone generators and other sound making units. It's usually labelled Poly n, where n= how many notes of polyphony it can generate. By default it should say Poly 4

    The new reverb can't be put into that slot. It can only be put into an fx slot, one of which is the next slot to the right of the synth network.

    It's a really bad idea to put audio processors like reverbs and choruses into a synth network. So this is just making it plain that you can't do that, even if you wanted to.

  • Thanks @UMCorps

    I'm usually happy when tools get updated. With Wotja, I worry the updates will break my already tenuous grasp of the program. The talk above of needing to save every current Flow before updating, for example. Feels like I'm struggling to climb a shifting sand dune

  • I hear you! And this is a very big update. Represents a huge forward step sonically.

  • edited May 8

    Here's why this is a big deal: # getting AUv3 functionality working fully in the subscription mode.

    resubs to Wotja21

    @drewinnit said:
    I use Wotja regularly but don't understand what any of these updates would mean for me. A new shimmer reverb apparently but what does "not available in synth network" mean?

    Every second term they use is a reference to something else, none of which I can understand even after months of using it

    I have a book called How to Become a Synthesizer Wizard. Even though they spelt synthesiser wrong, it is still pretty awesome. Every time I come across anything I don't understand from a synth point of view, then I flip to the index, look it up and have a quick skeg at the thing. I also have books for other stuff. Really helps.

    Here's what it says about using reverb with a synth -

    Nothing. Not a thing. It has let me down badly here. I apologise for getting your hopes up. It's usually pretty good tbf.

  • edited May 8

    @drewinnit said:
    Thanks @UMCorps

    I'm usually happy when tools get updated. With Wotja, I worry the updates will break my already tenuous grasp of the program. The talk above of needing to save every current Flow before updating, for example. Feels like I'm struggling to climb a shifting sand dune

    Here's a copy of the built-in Flows from the previous version. (Any you've saved yourself will be unaffected by the update.)

    This isn't actually an intimidating update; it's really just two new FX modules available for sound design, plus an option to run virtual patch cords backwards in the signal path as well as forwards. The new reverb unit is a beast, but won't break anything, and there are a ton of presets for instant gratification while you get your head around rolling your own (if you want to).

    The feedback option does need to be used with caution; I'd suggest starting with the shimmer presets provided and playing around with the pitch shift while not messing too much with the amp levels. But the shimmers are only really useful with melodic patches; it's the reverb that's the main event, and you can just slap the provided presets on things and go ooh without needing to know much at this stage about what all these individual parameters are doing.

  • edited May 8

    Fresh off the press....

    A talk through of every parameter in the new reverb unit, what they do and why there are there.

    Hope it helps.

  • Thanks @UMCorps
    Your explanations and assistance have really made Wotja a viable option for me.

  • @UMCorps said:
    Fresh off the press....

    A talk through of every parameter in the new reverb unit, what they do and why there are there.

    Hope it helps.

    Fantastic. Huge thanks for this. Absolute masterclass.

  • @Masanga great work, thanks for the old flows and translating what this update means into terms I can understand ;)

  • This isn't mentioned in the update description, but a further new feature is the inclusion of a new class of cell templates (found under "Flows" at the bottom of the Templates list) which don't come with fixed sound patches but instead choose their own sounds from the Synth Presets. These are what's used in the Only Pads and Only Piano flows. They're rather confusingly named TTM-Flow-1-F, TTM-Flow-1-FL, and TTM-Flow 1, with the last not actually a TTM cell at all but an Ambient one with a fixed set of Rules. They don't do anything exciting if you add them manually to a Mix as Templates, but if you select the appropriate Randomization scheme and use either the dice or Add New => Mix (Automatic) they'll substitute a random synth preset for the default wavetable piano sound.

  • @ashh said:
    Here's why this is a big deal: # getting AUv3 functionality working fully in the subscription mode.

    resubs to Wotja21

    @drewinnit said:
    I use Wotja regularly but don't understand what any of these updates would mean for me. A new shimmer reverb apparently but what does "not available in synth network" mean?

    Every second term they use is a reference to something else, none of which I can understand even after months of using it

    I have a book called How to Become a Synthesizer Wizard. Even though they spelt synthesiser wrong, it is still pretty awesome. Every time I come across anything I don't understand from a synth point of view, then I flip to the index, look it up and have a quick skeg at the thing. I also have books for other stuff. Really helps.

    Here's what it says about using reverb with a synth -

    Nothing. Not a thing. It has let me down badly here. I apologise for getting your hopes up. It's usually pretty good tbf.

    The book is called : 'Becoming a Synthesizer Wizard' written by Simon Cann

    And they spelled synthesizer as it should be.

  • @Masanga said:

    Many thanks for the post :smile:

    Pete

  • @Pierre118 said:
    And they spelled synthesizer as it should be.

    Tim and I are both Canadian / British - so our spelling varies between British and American! :smile:

  • @Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:
    Great update.
    I still can’t save a preset in Aum.
    No state save at all /:

    The Lite version (in Lite mode) doesn't save state in the AUv3 host. But, otherwise it should all work fine.

    If you can give any more information, that'd be useful!

    Best wishes,

    Pete

  • This release feels like the toughest one in a long time to get out the door - it took a lot of heavy lifting. Each release is kind of like an iceberg - what you see at the top, is a tiny reflection of the amount of work put in behind the scenes! :wink:

    There is a lot of stuff in this update that isn't even listed.

    For example: amongst other subtle things, you can modulate the pitch shift of the new Pitch Shifter unit. Which can be kind of funky! :)

    Pete

  • @impete Im getting some great results with the new templates, and enjoying that deep rich reverb ...will keep exploring. Thanks again for all your hard work.

    Question ... are all the older templates now retired? I only see the new ones.

  • @craftycurate said:
    @impete Im getting some great results with the new templates, and enjoying that deep rich reverb ...will keep exploring. Thanks again for all your hard work.

    I'm very happy that you're having fun with this - thank you very much for letting us know!

    Question ... are all the older templates now retired? I only see the new ones.

    They are for now - there were a lot of them, and we didn't want them to get in the way of the new ones.

    If there are any you'd like "returned to the fold" so to speak, please send-in a request via our support page - we can then assess what demand there might be for them.

    Best wishes,

    Pete

  • @impete said:

    @craftycurate said:

    Question ... are all the older templates now retired? I only see the new ones.

    They are for now - there were a lot of them, and we didn't want them to get in the way of the new ones.

    If there are any you'd like "returned to the fold" so to speak, please send-in a request via our support page - we can then assess what demand there might be for them.

    One option would be to make them available in the Add-On Content page.

  • Price did go up again : from €27,99 to €32,99 A no-go for me, will stay with the free version

  • A little share of my afternoon soundtrack.

    I couldn't get away with patches like this on previous versions but R2XL changes pretty much everything.

    If you have a poke around in the fx settings you'll find a wide panned dual shimmer setup on the "choir". The lead style voice shows how the modulation options on some of the R2LX settings provide a very smooth, high quality chorus effect within the reverb.

    Samples? Where we're going we don't need no samples......

    (file zipped cos I don't trust the forum to deal with Wotja MIME type)

  • @Pierre118 said:
    Price did go up again : from €27,99 to €32,99 A no-go for me, will stay with the free version

    The free version is pretty great now without the 2-minute timeout. (And there's always the option of unlocking it for a month with a sub payment and cancelling again if you don't need the full feature set.) It really seems a no-brainer now for everyone in the world to have at least the free version on every device and platform they own. The Flow system is so user-friendly and so rich now in what it can produce; it's only us mad tribe of knob-twiddlers and manual readers that need to gaze into the abyss of the rabbit-hole and finding its abyssal gaze not only returned but following you home and finishing off your tiramisu.

  • @Masanga said:

    @impete said:

    @craftycurate said:

    Question ... are all the older templates now retired? I only see the new ones.

    They are for now - there were a lot of them, and we didn't want them to get in the way of the new ones.

    If there are any you'd like "returned to the fold" so to speak, please send-in a request via our support page - we can then assess what demand there might be for them.

    One option would be to make them available in the Add-On Content page.

    It would be good to have access to them in some way as I used them quite frequently as starting points - the more options the better! I especially liked the fairly recent "Go" one - can't remember its name now as it's gone, but I think it was one of the first ones listed.

    Is it possible to transfer\copy templates from Wotja 20 Pro to Wotja 21 Pro?

  • @craftycurate said:

    @Masanga said:

    @impete said:

    @craftycurate said:

    Question ... are all the older templates now retired? I only see the new ones.

    They are for now - there were a lot of them, and we didn't want them to get in the way of the new ones.

    If there are any you'd like "returned to the fold" so to speak, please send-in a request via our support page - we can then assess what demand there might be for them.

    One option would be to make them available in the Add-On Content page.

    It would be good to have access to them in some way as I used them quite frequently as starting points - the more options the better! I especially liked the fairly recent "Go" one - can't remember its name now as it's gone, but I think it was one of the first ones listed.

    Is it possible to transfer\copy templates from Wotja 20 Pro to Wotja 21 Pro?

    It's in the .zip I attached above; you can just copy it into your own Wotja folder and it'll be available for all time.

Sign In or Register to comment.