Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS 14.5.1 audio crackling, and problems with audio playback/transport

13»

Comments

• I also have this on 14.6.... I wasn't getting it on 14.5....... its weird it does it on aum, bias fx2, tonestack after about 5 mins of playing. Definitely couldn't rely on this for live

• I was having this all over the place in 14.4.1 and 14.5 but it’d gotten better in 14.6. It’s come back but so far only in YouTube both stand-alone and Safari. Luckily it hasn’t hit any music apps yet. So far, anyway, I’ve been able to start to power down but hit cancel to temporarily fix it.

• edited June 2021

@Coloobar said:
    I'm going to have to abandon my live iPad rig. I've got gigs coming up and was relying on AUM as my main mixer/interface. Yesterday I had no issues during practice, and today I get crackling as soon as I start up AUM. I can't rely on Apple and don't have the time to wait for them to fix this.

It’s so sad to read all of this reports - !!!

And a feeling I don’t want to have is growing after these last weeks of ongoing reports of missing AUs and crackling audio since IOS 14 was introduced ...

and I guess I have to freeze my IPad Pro 2017 on IpadOS13.7 - and stop investing any more money into the IPad-eco-System ... and I assume it was around 1000Euro in the last years - and invest instead into my MacBook Air M1 and Desktop Plugins ...

All of this system instabilities and the obvious lack of interest by Apple to solve them creates so much un-creativity in my mind ... by just reading about it - that it’s almost hard to believe - since this piece of hard- and software was so much fun and inspiration around the last 3or4 years ... but as it seems ... these happy days are over now ...

And i am very happy that I haven’t updated my system ... and further maybe I will just take it from the Internet - save it my studio and treat it like a rare Juno from back then - no travels, no gigging - just using it at home for the sake of pleasure ,,.

Sorry - for the melancholy ... but I carried these thoughts for a while within me ,,, and today ... after some beers with a friend .., and coming reading these new statements ... it had to come out!

• edited June 2021

@Bon_Tempi said:

@Coloobar said:
    I'm going to have to abandon my live iPad rig. I've got gigs coming up and was relying on AUM as my main mixer/interface. Yesterday I had no issues during practice, and today I get crackling as soon as I start up AUM. I can't rely on Apple and don't have the time to wait for them to fix this.

And a feeling I don’t want to have is growing after these last weeks of ongoing reports of missing AUs and crackling audio since IOS 14 was introduced ...

and I guess I have to freeze my IPad Pro 2017 on IpadOS13.7 - and stop investing any more money into the IPad-eco-System ... and I assume it was around 1000Euro in the last years - and invest instead into my MacBook Air M1 and Desktop Plugins ...

All of this system instabilities and the obvious lack of interest by Apple to solve them creates so much un-creativity in my mind ... by just reading about it - that it’s almost hard to believe - since this piece of hard- and software was so much fun and inspiration around the last 3or4 years ... but as it seems ... these happy days are over now ...

And i am very happy that I haven’t updated my system ... and from today on - maybe I will just take it from the Internet - (and pray that it may live as long as possible) - and save it in my studio and treat it like a rare Juno from back then - no travels, no gigging - just using it at home for the sake of pleasure ,,.

Sorry - for the melancholy ... but I carried these thoughts for a while within me ,,, and today ... after some beers with a friend .., and coming home reading these new statements ... it had to come out!

• @Bon_Tempi said:

@Bon_Tempi said:

@Coloobar said:

And i am very happy that I haven’t updated my system ... and from today on - maybe I will just take it from the Internet - (and pray that it may live as long as possible) - and save it in my studio and treat it like a rare Juno from back then - no travels, no gigging - just using it at home for the sake of pleasure ,,.

Sorry - for the melancholy ... but I carried these thoughts for a while within me ,,, and today ... after some beers with a friend .., and just coming home reading these new statements ... it had to come out!

• edited June 2021

Yes, same shit happened to me too. Since I have installed 14.6 on my ipad 6th generation I got audio crackling with various apps for making music which they didn't do prior to ios 14.4.2 connected to my multichannel audio interface via Apples Lightning to USB camera adapter (MD821ZM/A) .

So Apple, fuck you. I will not buy any IOS devices or apps anymore, I am just done with your stuff. Mr. Cook , go to hell. Apple is just shitting on us nowadays.

• Still on 13.7 and nothing I've read so far makes me think I might update. This is one thing that scares me about ipads, it all depends on Apple's priorities. I'm putting upgrading to the new iPad Pro on hold for now, for that money I expect things to just work.

• Last two posts are exactly how I feel as well.

• edited June 2021

Apologies for beeing so crude in my rant above.

I just don't see the unique selling point for Apple products anymore.

Apple effectively sold products to the media industry over the years, audiovisual artists purchased their products at relatively high prices because of their eco system.

Even today you have to pay hundreds of hard earned $/€ for memory upgrades although prices for memory ICs are ridiculously low. We all approved this (until now).

And now, even if I set the software latency to 2048 samples the audio output is crackling in every app in IOS 14.6 although the ARM processor utilization is low?

I am so pissed, I can't use the dvice for making music anymore.

• I’m have an iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (4th generation). With 14.5, I was experiencing the crackling with AUM, Cubasis, and Auria. The interface is Duo-Capture. I do use blue tooth to complete midi connection to control my BeatBuddy. Mixing of midi recording and audio recording plus the DuoCapture, Direct Monitor selection affected the crackle. I record in Cubasis the midi, commands to control the BeatBuddy, the audio out of the BeatBuddy through the Duo Capture, Mic Audio, iFretless Bass, 275 Piano and several other synths all at the same time

Fingers crossed (seems to help) all is very solid, today.

I am newish to this forum but I will not do any iOS updates until I see comments recommending the upgrade. Thank you for advise and observations

• You all are talking about ipad but I have iphone 12 mini with 14.4.2 and using presonus ione interface. I’m scared to update if things can get worse.

Sometimes everything works very good on even lowest latency buffer but sometimes I get small glitches on sound. (I play guitar through apps like Bias FX) Those glitches don’t go away even if I put latency buffer up. Glitches are not a big deal if playing alone put for live band playing those are annoying. Feels like sometimes iphone makes something on the background that takes resources.

• We're still experiencing this issue on iPad Pro M1 machines with iOS 14.6 when running our products: SynthMaster Player, SynthMaster One and SynthMaster 2. It's better than 14.5 but still there.

• edited June 2021

I must report that on ios15 beta this issue stopped for me, back to usual rock solid core audio, but AmpliTube no longer loads, which is no problem for me.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @d4d0ug said:
    IOS14.6
    MQDT2B/A
    iPad Pro (10.5-inch)
    Zoom H6 in audio interface mode, using 44100 or 48000

Weird crackling after 5 or so minutes playing. Experienced this on Cubasis and Group The Loop.

Really annoying.

Have you tried deleting Cubasis and GtP, reinstalling, then restarting the iPad? This seems to have fixed the “crackle after 5 min” issue for most of us… will deleting the apps erase important data for you?

• edited June 2021

@Coloobar said:

@NeonSilicon said:
    With some updates, there can be a bunch of setting up of system junk and maybe some filesystem optimizations and stuff like that. This will happen on macOS occasionally too. If this is the issue, letting it do its thing for awhile will usually settle it down.

I haven't seen any issues with the latest betas at this point.

That doesn’t make any sense. I’ve been through hundreds of update cycles over the years. Software either works or it doesn’t…there’s no “breaking in” period.

Not the case with iOS ... AFAIK after any major update, your device will reindex everything, and this will grind away in the background for a couple of days, leading to increased battery drain and potentially lower performance until it's finished. The more you have installed the longer this takes.

• @craftycurate said:

@Coloobar said:

@NeonSilicon said:
    With some updates, there can be a bunch of setting up of system junk and maybe some filesystem optimizations and stuff like that. This will happen on macOS occasionally too. If this is the issue, letting it do its thing for awhile will usually settle it down.

That doesn’t make any sense. I’ve been through hundreds of update cycles over the years. Software either works or it doesn’t…there’s no “breaking in” period.

Not the case with iOS ... AFAIK after any major update, your device will reindex everything, and this will grind away in the background for a couple of days, leading to increased battery drain and potentially lower performance until it's finished. The more you have installed the longer this takes.

I haven't experienced this in 7 years of iPad updating. But I rather tediously turn off all the search functions in every app I install, because I never use them. See pic.

• @uncledave said:

@craftycurate said:

@Coloobar said:

@NeonSilicon said:

I haven't experienced this in 7 years of iPad updating. But I rather tediously turn off all the search functions in every app I install, because I never use them. See pic.

That probably helps, but it's not just Siri and search. Sometimes an update will require reorganization of the file system and other behind the scenes stuff. It doesn't happen often and it's usually mild enough that you won't really notice it, but it's good to be aware of so you don't do an update the day before you need your device for a performance or presentation.

MacOS will do this kind of thing too. I'm hoping that the extended modes that are being added in iOS 15 will help with this stuff eventually. It would be very useful to have a "presentation" mode that blocked all notifications and random background tasks.

• Nice find! It's quaint that some members offer such well-meaning and on-the-mark advice...

• edited June 2021

@d4d0ug said:

@d4d0ug said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:

@d4d0ug said:
    IOS14.6
    MQDT2B/A
    iPad Pro (10.5-inch)

Weird crackling after 5 or so minutes playing. Experienced this on Cubasis and Group The Loop.

Really annoying.

Have you tried deleting Cubasis and GtP, reinstalling, then restarting the iPad? This seems to have fixed the “crackle after 5 min” issue for most of us… will deleting the apps erase important data for you?

Thank you. I’ll give it a go (offloading, downloading)

Re-installed Cubasis. Still crackling even with just one audio track. Seems to be worse when the transport is running - but not 100% sure on that. Sad times! Will see if its other apps as well. Kind of renders my use case of recording via my interface useless, sigh.

I didn't have this very often and now I've moved to the iOS15 beta on the iPad that had the issue so I can't test it anymore, but I had noticed that it depended on the order I did things. If I plug everything into my USB hub and then plugged in the CCK to the iPad and waited for my audio interface to make a bit of the initialization pop sound when it turns on before I opened any audio apps, then the crackling wouldn't occur. If I did it in any other order, the noise would start after a little bit. Even if I unplugged the interface and then plug it back in, the noise would stop and then start again after a bit. But, this didn't happen if I let the audio system completely initialize before I started any audio apps.

• edited June 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @d4d0ug said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@d4d0ug said:

@d4d0ug said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:

@d4d0ug said:
    IOS14.6
    MQDT2B/A
    iPad Pro (10.5-inch)

Really annoying.

Thank you. I’ll give it a go (offloading, downloading)

Re-installed Cubasis. Still crackling even with just one audio track. Seems to be worse when the transport is running - but not 100% sure on that. Sad times! Will see if its other apps as well. Kind of renders my use case of recording via my interface useless, sigh.

I didn't have this very often and now I've moved to the iOS15 beta on the iPad that had the issue so I can't test it anymore, but I had noticed that it depended on the order I did things. If I everything into my USB hub and then plugged in the CCK to the iPad and waited for my audio interface to make a bit of the initialization pop sound when it turns on before I opened any audio apps, then the crackling would occur. If I did it in any other order, the noise would start after a little bit. Even if I unplugged the interface and then plug it back in, the noise would stop and then start again after a bit. But, this didn't happen if I let the audio system completely initialize before I started any audio apps.

Interesting, will have a play with the order of connections. Thanks.

Shouldn’t have to, but will give it a go. iOS15 🤞🏻

I should have proofed before I hit the post button. I'll blame it on still being asleep. I meant to say if I did the plug in thing and wait for the initialization before opening any audio apps then the noise wouldn't occur. (I'll go edit my comment above for some clarity.)

It could have all been coincidence too, but it is worth a try.

• @brambos said:
    Yes, this one is causing me a ton of headaches, support-effort and refunds. People install a new app, try the standalone and see that it's broken. Then they refund and leave a 1-star review. It's aggravating.

I have addressed this problem to Apple via one of the more senior contacts I have over there, and indeed they started looking into it. But it all got quiet after I told them I can't provide crash-logs (because technically there's no crash).

Big effin' MEH.

+1

As a developer I am SICK and TIRED of receiving 1 star reviews on AppStore for something that is NOT our fault. f**k!

• @nerVe said:
    This is the glitch I keep getting since 14.5

Bruh, unnaceptable.

• The cynic in me thinks Apple does this to force people to upgrade.
    Much crackling here with setups that never gave me a problem before.
    Bummer.